Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383191 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1680 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »
Turn the Page is fantastic, an awesome cover.

I don't have that album though so I can't say if it's worth it, but what I heard of the covers I do like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1681 on: March 09, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Garage Inc = ordered

It's also on Spotify in the meantime.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1682 on: March 09, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Garage Inc is great! I really liked the Motörhead covers as well. Should've added one of  the Ramones covers they also do live from time to time, like Commando.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1683 on: March 09, 2016, 06:53:20 PM »
Turn the Page= :hefdaddy
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1684 on: March 09, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »
I haven't listened to the whole album, but I think the "Whiskey In The Jar" version is really cool. I listened to it for the first time in 2003, I think. A few years later a friend gave me a CD of Irish music, and that was one of the songs (don't remember who sang/played on it). Nice tune!

(a rock group from Uruguay called El Cuarteto De Nos also have a version, called "Whiskey En Uruguay", on their 2014 album. Cool version too.)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1685 on: March 10, 2016, 01:14:53 AM »
Garage days revisited was probably the last album by them I completely dug. I dont' agree that both Load and Reload were complete toilet either, they could have made one awesome cd out of that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1686 on: March 10, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »
I think most of Metallica's covers are awesome. Astronomy might be my favourite.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1687 on: March 10, 2016, 05:15:54 AM »
I haven't listened to the whole album, but I think the "Whiskey In The Jar" version is really cool. I listened to it for the first time in 2003, I think. A few years later a friend gave me a CD of Irish music, and that was one of the songs (don't remember who sang/played on it). Nice tune!

(a rock group from Uruguay called El Cuarteto De Nos also have a version, called "Whiskey En Uruguay", on their 2014 album. Cool version too.)

Dubliners if I'm not mistaken. Thin Lizzy made it popular though.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1688 on: March 10, 2016, 05:39:56 AM »
Garage Inc = ordered

Still don't understand completely your beef with cover albums, but Metallica's style is so unique, I would think it'd be easier to get over.

Probably because 9 times out of 10, whenever I hear a cover version, it makes me want to listen to the original.  But as you say, the Metallica versions are so... out there.  They really seem to own the songs (while still respecting the originals).   When I hear DT cover Rainbow, it almost seems like they're just skating across the surface of the song, and it immediately makes me reach for my Rainbow album.

Well they did a great cover of Stargazer and James nailed it. But you're right in a sense that when DT covers a song, they are really just playing it..well.
Metallica seems to "Metallicize" it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1689 on: March 10, 2016, 06:00:49 AM »
I started listening to Metallica around the time of Master of Puppets. Justice is my favorite by far with Frayed Ends being my favorite Metallica song. Personally, I think they've become progressively worse since the Black Album. Anyone else here feel that way? I'm not here to stir up shit. I'm sure it's an opinion many Metallica fans share. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1690 on: March 10, 2016, 06:02:16 AM »
I started listening to Metallica around the time of Master of Puppets. Justice is my favorite by far with Frayed Ends being my favorite Metallica song. Personally, I think they've become progressively worse since the Black Album. Anyone else here feel that way? I'm not here to stir up shit. I'm sure it's an opinion many Metallica fans share.

Pretty sure that's a universal feeling.

Also, Frayed Ends  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1691 on: March 10, 2016, 06:07:11 AM »

Pretty sure that's a universal feeling.

Also, Frayed Ends  :metal

:metal

I know plenty of old school Metallicats that thought they sold out after Justice, or even with making a video for "One", so there's that group as well. Hell, my father loved the video for that because of the movie footage.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: March 10, 2016, 06:09:29 AM »
::) People hate Metallica for anything.

You put acoustic guitars on Ride ? What a sellout !!!

They've had it since the beginning.

Metallica is one of the greatest Hard Rock albums ever AND it sounds phenomenal.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1693 on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:03 AM »
When I bought The Black Album, I felt that the sellout was clearly on. But that album has aged really well. It still sounds fantastic.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1694 on: March 10, 2016, 06:10:15 AM »
I watched that movie just because of One. It's a really good movie in its own right.
I didn't see doing music videos or TBA as selling out. Load and Reload more so, but they've still got plenty of great material between them if you filter it down. In retrospect, I have no problem with their evolving style at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1695 on: March 10, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »
When I bought The Black Album, I felt that the sellout was clearly on. But that album has aged really well. It still sounds fantastic.

Metallica wasn't a sell out . They were a band putting out music. They continued to do this on Metallica. The only difference is that the songs were shorter and had great production.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: March 10, 2016, 06:12:29 AM »
I watched that movie just because of One. It's a really good movie in its own right.
I didn't see doing music videos or TBA as selling out. Load and Reload more so, but they've still got plenty of great material between them if you filter it down. In retrospect, I have no problem with their evolving style at all.

Load, Reload and St. Anger were risky albums but they did them anyway.

I can't see Slayer putting out a risky album. Selling out can also mean putting out the same album every time because you know it will sell.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1697 on: March 10, 2016, 06:13:55 AM »
I felt like they lost that edge from albums like Lightning and Puppets. That raw sound was what made them great. Yes, Black is a great album, but it's a totally different sound. I can see how people were put off by it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1698 on: March 10, 2016, 06:15:59 AM »

Metallica wasn't a sell out . They were a band putting out music. They continued to do this on Metallica. The only difference is that the songs were shorter and had great production.

It wasn't Metallica. It was a HUGE shift at the time. I'm not sure how old you are but sometimes when one looks back at a band's discography perhaps there is some objectivity as to where an album sits amongst the others, but when you are present as the discographies evolve, these shifts in style are far more pronounced.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: March 10, 2016, 06:26:30 AM »

Load, Reload and St. Anger were risky albums but they did them anyway.

I can't see Slayer putting out a risky album. Selling out can also mean putting out the same album every time because you know it will sell.

I'd say Death Magnetic is the first album they stopped evolving and went backwards to sell out to a certain demographic. The thrash style sounded so contrived on DM.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1700 on: March 10, 2016, 06:27:28 AM »
Dubliners if I'm not mistaken. Thin Lizzy made it popular though.

It was probably Dubliners. Thanks!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: March 10, 2016, 06:38:28 AM »

I'd say Death Magnetic is the first album they stopped evolving and went backwards to sell out to a certain demographic. The thrash style sounded so contrived on DM.

That was probably Rick Ruin's fault. He pushed for a classic sound on that album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1702 on: March 10, 2016, 06:39:02 AM »

I actually agree with the bolded part. But for me, who came up with the thrashy Metallica, I welcomed it.

The biggest issue about Metallica's albums after TBA is the fact that there's so damned few of them!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: March 10, 2016, 06:42:48 AM »

It wasn't Metallica. It was a HUGE shift at the time. I'm not sure how old you are but sometimes when one looks back at a band's discography perhaps there is some objectivity as to where an album sits amongst the others, but when you are present as the discographies evolve, these shifts in style are far more pronounced.

Most of the fans who thought TBA and Empire were sellout albums at the time would now give their left nut to have more like them ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1704 on: March 10, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »

Most of the fans who thought TBA and Empire were sellout albums at the time would now give their left nut to have more like them ;D

* Raises hand*

I actually liked Empire a lot when it came out. But it did get me very worried about what would come next. Turns out, I had a right to be worried.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1705 on: March 10, 2016, 07:16:47 AM »

That was probably Rick Ruin's fault. He pushed for a classic sound on that album.

I see what you did there  :P

(At first I was going to correct you, though)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1706 on: March 10, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »
Just dropping in to say The Black Album is phenomenal, that's all, carry on.  :biggrin:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: March 10, 2016, 07:28:06 AM »
Yeah, it could be my favourite Metallica album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1708 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:35 AM »
Yeah, it is favourite Metallica album.
FTFM

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1709 on: March 10, 2016, 07:32:51 AM »
It (TBA) just always struck me as the perfect blend of what came before it and what came after it. It had those metallic, heavy, thrashy moments like their prior albums, and also had more hard rock, blues, layering, production, etc... of the Loads.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: March 10, 2016, 07:42:20 AM »
Yeah, it could be my favourite Metallica album.

It's definitely my favourite Metallica album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1711 on: March 10, 2016, 08:33:42 AM »

I hope you know I'm not busting your balls here, but isn't it more correct to say "Personally, I think they've moved progressively farther from what I want to hear"?    To TAC's point, I was there as they evolved, and being a Maiden and Sabbath and Kiss fan, I can remember thinking, "Yeah, RTL and MOP are okay, but I wish they weren't so one-dimensional" and then hearing ...AJFA (my college roommate bought it on vinyl day of release) and thinking "okay, they still sound thin and tinny as crap, but they are evolving!" and then finally getting the TBA album and thinking "YES! THIS! This is a band that is maturing and growing into a real sound and feel!"   It was warm, it was thick, the lyrics weren't just repurposed plots from war movies, but had some DEPTH to them.

I think anyone that calls an album like "TBA" a "Sellout" is really just playing that game where a band is good as long as it's "yours", if that makes sense (like the 2,000 people that hate REM because they got into the band with Murmur and now millions of people like them).   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: March 10, 2016, 09:19:17 AM »
But they cut their hair!!  :biggrin:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1713 on: March 10, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
I think anyone that calls an album like "TBA" a "Sellout" is really just playing that game where a band is good as long as it's "yours", if that makes sense (like the 2,000 people that hate REM because they got into the band with Murmur and now millions of people like them).   
That's a reasonable observation. As is often the case with you and me, though, I like to think my problem with it is a more nuanced interpretation. While I can't speak about REM (never liked them), where I have a problem is when people jump aboard the ship for an album that I think is a huge departure for the band (and honestly pretty crappy). If everybody jumped on the bandwagon for Justice (and plenty did) I'd actually be pretty happy about it. How would we all feel if DT became a huge success on the strength of You Not Me?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1714 on: March 10, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
Right on Bart, I completely agree. I never had a problem with them getting popular. My issue is the change in style. Others may call it growth. That's fine. But if a band continues to stop making music I like, I have a right to stop following.

I can follow the line of "growth" from TBA to the first Load, but after that, I just cannot get on board.

I'm also not sure how Rush going from Hemispheres to Grace Under Pressure is "growth" either. Maybe Rush feels they did grow.

But in both cases, each band took what I liked about them and turned their backs on it.

Popularity has no effect on this discussion for me, unless the band started writing for it. And with TBA, frankly the jury is still out on that one.