Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 383520 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1645 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:03 AM »
Master of Puppets is IMO the greatest record of all time. There is not a single bad song on the album and I could listen to it everyday without getting tired of it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1646 on: March 04, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
I just realised that Master Of Puppets turned 30 yesterday.

Yeesh, I still remember the day I bought it. Old fart alert.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1647 on: March 04, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »
Master of Puppets is IMO the greatest record of all time. There is not a single bad song on the album and I could listen to it everyday without getting tired of it.

At the very least it's Metallica's best album.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1648 on: March 04, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »
Happy 30th anniversary to Master of Puppets!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: March 04, 2016, 11:57:45 AM »
MAST3R 0F PUPPETS

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1650 on: March 04, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
I got into Metallica when I was 13, and in a period of 6 months I bought the first 3 albums, in order. I remember I liked KEA, I loved RTL, but I couldn't quite enjoy MOP.

It might have been a sound problem in the CD, though (out of the three, it's the most 'flat'), because some of the songwriting is great - my favourites were "Welcome Home" and "Lepper Messiah".

Hopefully a re-mixed/re-mastered CD comes in the future.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1651 on: March 04, 2016, 05:53:04 PM »
Personally, I rank MOP below Justice and Ride. It's great, but I prefer the other two.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1652 on: March 04, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
I've always loved MoP and it's damn consistent, but I've never considered it their best. If it weren't for the dud mix, AJFA would be better imo, and I consider TBA better than any of the thrash era albums (come at me thrash bros). MoP would probably rank 3rd for me overall, although I rarely listen to it any more.
Still a damn great and iconic album though of course. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1653 on: March 05, 2016, 02:52:37 AM »
Personally, I rank MOP below Justice and Ride. It's great, but I prefer the other two.
Same here.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1654 on: March 05, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »
1. I just re-watched the 'MTV Icon' special for the first time in 12 years (I was 13 at the time). A stupid concept, really (and some of the presenters and dialogues seem weird), but a fun show nonetheless. I like the Jim Breuer bit, and the band playing all those '80s classics with so much energy!

2. I've never cared for solos by any instrument in any band of any genre, so I think I might enjoy 'St. Anger'. It's weird I have never ever given it a listen - only know the singles (which I remember liking).

3. Favourite 3 songs: "Creeping Death", "Wherever I may roam" and "Low Man's Lyric".

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1655 on: March 05, 2016, 10:53:27 PM »
2. I've never cared for solos by any instrument in any band of any genre

It's strange reading this on a Dream Theater forum.........by a Dream Theater fan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 425

« Reply #1656 on: March 05, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
2. I've never cared for solos by any instrument in any band of any genre, so I think I might enjoy 'St. Anger'. It's weird I have never ever given it a listen - only know the singles (which I remember liking).

This is not the only objection that people have to St. Anger.

Let's put it this way: For Whom the Bell Tolls doesn't have any solos, but nobody complains about that, because it's still a good song.

I'm not one of those people who will say that St. Anger is devoid of good ideas. I think it has numerous good ideas that are for the most part either poorly executed or repeated way too many times. And then what good is there is promptly smothered by a terrible production job.

Frantic is a good song. It's a bit too repetitive, but it's a good song. I wish they would rescue that one, shorten it a bit, and play it live sometimes. There may be another couple of songs that could be salvaged—I don't know, and I haven't had it in me yet to give a second listen to that monstrosity to figure it out. But there may be.

Low Man's Lyric is awesome. I think most of the more experimental songs on the Load albums are pretty awesome. I think there's probably close to a couple of hours of quality music between those two albums, but not two hours and forty minutes. A 100 minute double album would have been cool.

Also, this:
Same here.

And I agree that MOP sounds kind of flat. I also think that it's just less melodic from a songwriting perspective than AJFA and especially RTL.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1657 on: March 05, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »
2. I've never cared for solos by any instrument in any band of any genre

It's strange reading this on a Dream Theater forum.........by a Dream Theater fan.

Yeah, most bands I've been a fan of have solos, but I've never cared for them (nor do I like playing them). In fact, whenever a solo is happening, I pay attention to what the rest of the band is playing - sometimes I find myself enjoying those parts instead of the solo.

That said, I like some solos, such as:
-Guitar: Joe of Aerosmith (https://youtu.be/RqQn2ADZE1A?t=2m45s).
-Drums: Travis of Blink-182 (https://youtu.be/YHPsjZ-TFxA?t=3m1s).
-Bass: Pepe of Bersuit Vergarabat (https://youtu.be/qLxJPN_FmwY?t=3m9s).

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1658 on: March 05, 2016, 11:50:28 PM »
This is not the only objection that people have to St. Anger.

Let's put it this way: For Whom the Bell Tolls doesn't have any solos, but nobody complains about that, because it's still a good song.

I'm not one of those people who will say that St. Anger is devoid of good ideas. I think it has numerous good ideas that are for the most part either poorly executed or repeated way too many times. And then what good is there is promptly smothered by a terrible production job.

Frantic is a good song. It's a bit too repetitive, but it's a good song. I wish they would rescue that one, shorten it a bit, and play it live sometimes. There may be another couple of songs that could be salvaged—I don't know, and I haven't had it in me yet to give a second listen to that monstrosity to figure it out. But there may be.

Yes, from what I've read online, the sound of the drums isn't loved by most, and I've also seen some criticism regarding the lengths of some songs (as you said). For all those reasons (and the lack of solos), I think it will be an interesting/enjoyable album. I'll see if I can get my hands on the one copy around my area (for some reason, 'Lulu', 'Death Magnetic' and 'St.Anger' have basically disappeared from stores here).

Offline 425

« Reply #1659 on: March 06, 2016, 12:01:38 AM »
If you're committed to getting it, go ahead and do it. I'm always a fan of making up your own mind instead of just listening to the crowd, even though the crowd is nearly universally negative on this album.

My one recommendation would be to try to get the version with the bonus DVD if you can find that for a reasonable price. The reason for that is that the bonus DVD has the band playing the entire album live in studio. The sound on that is decent—certainly much better than on the actual album itself—so that solves one of the major problems with the release.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: March 06, 2016, 02:19:37 AM »
St. Anger is a weird one but it does sound good really loud.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: March 06, 2016, 02:21:01 AM »

Master is easily the best for me.

It's very consistent from start to finish. Justice is dull and Ride has Escape.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1662 on: March 06, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »
Yeah, fuck that catchy melodic metal song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: March 06, 2016, 08:50:24 AM »
I know people throw around the word "filler" willy nilly .

But Escape literally is filler.

They wrote it as a song to fill up the album.

The very definition of filler.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: March 06, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
It may be filler in that regard, but it's still a great song IMHO.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1665 on: March 06, 2016, 09:20:51 AM »
It may be filler in that regard, but it's still a great song IMHO.
I second this. Never quite got the hate towards Escape.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1666 on: March 06, 2016, 10:51:11 AM »
I know people throw around the word "filler" willy nilly .

But Escape literally is filler.

They wrote it as a song to fill up the album.

The very definition of filler.

This. James Hetfield himself hates the song. To me, it's just the song that I have to get through before the amazing 1-2 punch of an ending that is Creeping Death/The Call of Ktulu.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1667 on: March 06, 2016, 10:55:21 AM »
I vote for filler. It's not awful, but it's still worthless.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: March 06, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
They even changed it when they played all of Ride...in it's entirety.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1669 on: March 06, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »

Really? I never compared the two, how did they change it?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1670 on: March 06, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »

Really? I never compared the two, how did they change it?

James sings the chorus even more melodically and they gave it a proper ending since the original fades out. In other words, they didn't really change it much at all.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1671 on: March 09, 2016, 02:51:18 PM »
Escape sounds like it should've been the middle section on a longer song.

Anyone like Garage Inc.?  Been thinking of picking this one up.  I absolutely hate cover albums, but this one sounds awesome!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1672 on: March 09, 2016, 03:11:30 PM »
Garage Inc is excellent. I definitely prefer the 2nd disc as it has all of the 80's b sides in one place, as well as Garage Days ReRevisited, which is what singlehandedly got me back into Metallica.

Still don't understand completely your beef with cover albums, but Metallica's style is so unique, I would think it'd be easier to get over.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1673 on: March 09, 2016, 03:14:22 PM »
Some of my favorite Metallica songs are actually covers that are on Garage Inc (Astronomy and Turn the Page), they absolutely kill it, and it's never a blatant copy of the original song, they always keep it original.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1674 on: March 09, 2016, 03:20:05 PM »
I'm actually not a fan of Turn The Page, and I must admit to having only played the first disc once since I bought the album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1675 on: March 09, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
Garage Inc is excellent. I definitely prefer the 2nd disc as it has all of the 80's b sides in one place, as well as Garage Days ReRevisited, which is what singlehandedly got me back into Metallica.

Still don't understand completely your beef with cover albums, but Metallica's style is so unique, I would think it'd be easier to get over.

Agreed.  One of the records that brought me from casual (read: I don't own any albums, but won't turn them off if they are on the radio) fan to now owning the whole catalogue (except for Kill Em All and Live S**t).

Turn The Page is about the perfect cover.  Hetfield captures the emotion of that song, in my mind, perfectly.  Rode hard, put away wet. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: March 09, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
Garage Inc Disc 1 is one of the best production jobs on a metal album ever.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1677 on: March 09, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »
Metallica's  a great cover band. Astronomy is fantastic, and I dig the shit out of the Mercyful Fate medley.

The down side is that they should have actually covered National Acrobat and Bridge of Sighs instead of just slipping parts into other songs.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1678 on: March 09, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
Stadler, no love for Kill 'Em All?? I'm surprised!

To me, it's easily my favorite Metallica album, and it's not even close. When that came out, I couldn't believe my ears!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1679 on: March 09, 2016, 03:53:00 PM »
Garage Inc = ordered

Probably because 9 times out of 10, whenever I hear a cover version, it makes me want to listen to the original.  But as you say, the Metallica versions are so... out there.  They really seem to own the songs (while still respecting the originals).   When I hear DT cover Rainbow, it almost seems like they're just skating across the surface of the song, and it immediately makes me reach for my Rainbow album. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa