Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 384091 times)

Online TheCountOfNYC

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #1575 on: November 01, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »
01: The Four Horsmen/Metal Militia
02: Ride the Lightning/The Call of Ktulu
03: Master of Puppets/Welcome Home (Sanitarium)/Orion (Can't decide. My all time favorite album)
04: Blackened/...And Justice For All
05: Sad But True/My Friend of Misery
06: King Nothing
07: The Unforgiven II/Low Man's Lyric
08: Frantic
09: The Unforgiven III/Suicide & Redemption
10: No Leaf Clover
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1576 on: November 01, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »
1. The Four Horsemen
2. Creeping Death
3. Orion/Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
4. One/The Frayed Ends of Sanity
5. Enter Sandman
6. Outlaw Torn
7. The Unforgiven II
8. My World/Some Kind of Monster
9. All Nightmare Long
10. No Leaf Clover

8. My World

:tup :tup I thought I was the only one who liked that song. But it's so good!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1577 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
Hit the Lights
Ride The Lightning
Battery
One
Wherever I May Roam
The Outlaw Torn
Fuel
Some Kind of Monster
The End of the Line
No Leaf Clover
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:40:39 PM by LCArenas »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:37 AM »

it's by far the best song on that album. With All Within My Hands being dead last.

In fact it's the only song on St Anger I can't actually sit through.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1579 on: November 02, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
Just watched the new MetClub video with the clip of James tracking guitars... It was really cool to see him tracking but you can't really hear much just a couple power chords and what sounds like a riff in the distance behind Lars talking. Encouraging to see them actually tracking though.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1580 on: November 02, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »

it's by far the best song on that album. With All Within My Hands being dead last.

I don't know, I actually like St. Anger quite a bit. Every song has at least some good bits. For example, I think the riff in the middle of All Within My Hands with the stutters introducing it just before the 'Love is control, I'll die if I let go'  is really cool.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: November 02, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
1. The Four Horsemen
2. The Call of Kthulu
3. Battery
4. Blackened
5. Wherever I May Roam
6. The Outlaw Torn (S&M Version even better)
7. Fixxxer
8. St. Anger
9. The Day That Never Comes
10. No Leaf Clover

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: November 02, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »

I don't know, I actually like St. Anger quite a bit. Every song has at least some good bits. For example, I think the riff in the middle of All Within My Hands with the stutters introducing it just before the 'Love is control, I'll die if I let go'  is really cool.

Too many riffs on that album are in the 0 - 3 - 5 progression.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1583 on: November 02, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
1. The Four Horsemen
2. Creeping Death
3. Master of Puppets
4. One
5. Enter Sandman
6. The Outlaw Torn
7. Fuel
8. St. Anger
9. The Day That Never Comes
10. No Leaf Clover

Something like that. It was close between Blackened/AJFA/One and The Day that Never Comes/That Was Just Your Life.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1584 on: November 02, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
1. Metal Militia
2. Escape
3. Orion
4. The shortest Straw
5. Wherever I May Roam
6. Until It Sleeps
7. The Memory Remains
8. Sweet Amber
9. Cyanide
10. No Leaf Clover
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Onno

« Reply #1585 on: November 02, 2015, 02:37:34 PM »

Too many riffs on that album are in the 0 - 3 - 5 progression.
Though I have learned a lot about music in the last year due to singing in a choir, taking singing lessons and piano lessons and having conversations with my uncle (who went to a music college) about music, I know what you mean but I haven't really noticed it before. Maybe it's because I haven't listened to the album in a while. But I believe you  :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1586 on: November 03, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »
1. The Four Horsemen
2. Creeping Death
3. Battery
4. One
5. Nothing Else Matters
6. Hero of the Day
7. Fixxxer
8. No Leaf Clover
9. Invisible Kid
10. Suicide & Redemption

OR

1. Hit the Lights
2. Fade to Black
3. Master of Puppets
4. Blackened
5. Through The Never
6. The Outlaw Torn
7. Fuel
8. I Disappear
9. Frantic
10. All Nightmare Long
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1587 on: November 03, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »
I finally actually listened to the little studio snippet, and while it was only a teensy bit of actual music, I liked what I heard. It wasn't fast and thrashy, so that's a good start. If Metallica don't overextend themselves and bloat the songs, and do some vocal harmonies this time, they still have it in them to write a great album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #1588 on: November 03, 2015, 02:43:15 PM »
Quote from: Ultimate Guitar
Along the way, excited Lars revealed that renowned producer and studio engineer, Mr. Greg Fidelman, is a part of the recording process.

It remains unknown which exact position is Fidelman covering in the studio, but he's certainly there.

The man has already worked with the 'Tallica fold before, as an engineer/mixer on "Death Magnetic," and as a producer/engineer/mixer on the infamous "Lulu."

As for the remainder of Greg's career, the producer's work spans back to 1995. His first notable work was an engineering gig on System of a Down's 1998 self-titled debut.

Since then, he has worked with a vast array of musicians, delving both into areas of pop and crushing metal.

Fidelman's notable efforts as an engineer include Audioslave's self-titled debut from 2002, Jet's 2003 "Get Born," Black Sabbath's "13," and more.

As an engineer/mixer, Greg worked on Adele's "21," Red Hot Chili Peppers' "I'm With You," Slayer's "World Painted Blood," Johnny Cash's "American V: A Hundred Highways," Slipknot's "Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses," and more.

Finally, the man is credited as the producer of two quite notable recent releases in metal - Slipknot's ".5: The Gray Chapter," and Slayer's "Repentless." If he's handling production on the new Metallica release, these two albums could serve as the strongest indicators of the production type we should expect.

Wow, there couldn't have been a worse choice for the position of producer.  :facepalm:
At least half of those albums are infamously bad loudness war victims. How has Metallica not learned from the backlash to the sound of 'Death Magnetic'?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
Because he was merely engineer on those albums and guess who the Big Fat Beard in charge was ? Dick Rubin.

He recorded and produced their Ronnie James Dio cover " Ronnie Rising " which sounded great...

and this : https://t.co/11goyWgbm1 < - - - Orion Re-Recorded by Metallica.

Anyway - Metallica said they weren't there when they were approving mixes and are well aware of the clipping fiasco and i'd be shocked if it was that bad again.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1590 on: November 03, 2015, 02:52:27 PM »
I certainly hope the mix isn't going to be as bad as the mix on DM. We'll see.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: November 03, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »
I certainly hope the mix isn't going to be as bad as the mix on DM. We'll see.

During the promo for Lords Of Summer they uploaded a pic of the wav form for the final mix and the caption was " NO CLIPPING ".

They know.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1592 on: November 03, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
That's good to hear  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: November 20, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1594 on: November 20, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »
That was a good read. For many years I'd hit a wall where I might read 5-10 Metallica interviews and not find out one meaningful new bit of info but that shit had a lot of insight. Thanks brah!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1595 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:21 PM »
Cool interview. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1596 on: November 20, 2015, 09:13:17 PM »
Wow, 30 years since "Ride the Lightning"?! That went quick.

https://www.guitarworld.com/metallicas-kirk-hammett-talks-ride-lightning-cliff-burton-and-benefits-taking-guitar-lessons-joe-satriani

Over 31 now.   In fact, I believe it was very close to this time of year 31 years ago when I purchased the album on the new release rack (because it had just been re-issued by Elektra Records that week).
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1597 on: November 21, 2015, 08:23:28 AM »
I love Kirk. I could listen to him talk all day long. His passion and regular guy persona feels real.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: November 21, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »
:lol he sounds permanently baked to me. And stammers a lot and is unsure of what he's saying.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1599 on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:10 AM »
:lol he sounds permanently baked to me. 

:lol
That, he does!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1600 on: December 11, 2015, 12:09:46 PM »
I've been going through their Discography for the first time in at least 5 years. Most of it has not aged well. Ride the Lightning through the Black Album are about as solid 4 album run any band could hope for. That being said Load and Reload have not aged well. Still feel those should have been a single album cutting the majority of filler tracks. Garage Inc is awesome but it's a cover album. St. Anger was St. Anger. Death Magnetic was ok but something seems to be missing. How a band could stay as popular as Metallica has after not putting out a truly solid album in 20+ years is beyond me. I was as big of Metallica fan as you could be at one point but the ridiculous amount of time it took the band to put out new material has turned me off from the band. I honestly feel that Metallica is one of the most overrated of the past 25 years. I get they were really good at one point but there really is no reason why they should still be considered "The Biggest Metal Band in the WORLD" any more. They should be known as "The Most FRUSTRATING Metal Band in the WORLD". Anyway, it was nice yet disappointing trip down memory lane. I still think the biggest "What if" in the history of metal is What if Cliff never died? What would Metallica have turning into after Master of Puppets?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1601 on: December 11, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »
I get they were really good at one point but there really is no reason why they should still be considered "The Biggest Metal Band in the WORLD" any more. They should be known as "The Most FRUSTRATING Metal Band in the WORLD". Anyway, it was nice yet disappointing trip down memory lane. I still think the biggest "What if" in the history of metal is What if Cliff never died? What would Metallica have turning into after Master of Puppets?

They are the biggest metal band in the world because they still draw crowds if they desire to play shows in any region that can host concerts.  They are the biggest headliners in any festivals they desire to play.  If they are in a festival bill, they are headlining and draw a big crowd, no question.  Are they greatest, today?  No, a lack of releasing quality albums in the 2000s has hindered that, imo, but the biggest does not always equal the greatest.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1602 on: December 11, 2015, 11:40:26 PM »
Best and greatest do not mean the same thing. No metal band has come anywhere close to having the success that Metallica has had. How many bands can say that everyone of their albums has gone platinum? How many can sell out arenas/stadiums no matter where they go? How many bands can say that there was a petition for them to play at the Super Bowl and have it get enough votes to actually be sent in? Even if the quality of music has declined, Metallica has maintained a level of success that is unique to their genre. That is why they are the greatest metal band in the world.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1603 on: December 12, 2015, 03:11:39 AM »
Add to that, how many bands can say they performed in front of a live audience on all seven world continents?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:55:19 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1604 on: December 12, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
. I still think the biggest "What if" in the history of metal is What if Cliff never died? What would Metallica have turning into after Master of Puppets?

I remember that story that they almost fired Lars in the 80s.....combining both "What ifs"......If Metallica consisted of James, Kirk, Cliff and some amazing metal drummer, then Metallica wouldn't even be the same band that they are now!

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1605 on: December 12, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
. I still think the biggest "What if" in the history of metal is What if Cliff never died? What would Metallica have turning into after Master of Puppets?

I remember that story that they almost fired Lars in the 80s.....combining both "What ifs"......If Metallica consisted of James, Kirk, Cliff and some amazing metal drummer, then Metallica wouldn't even be the same band that they are now!

They most likely wouldn't have had the same success. One of the reasons that Cliff left his old band Trauma to join Metallica was because he felt that their sound was becoming too mainstream. He most likely would not have been on board with an album like Black Album. Also, Lars is the most knowledgeable member of the band in terms of business and marketing. He has always been the one out in public essentially selling the band to the world. Without him, they wouldn't have had the same exposure.

-MirrorMask

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1606 on: December 12, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
Also, Lars wasn't half as bad back in the 80s/early 90s as he is nowadays. He was very good back then, and very enjoyable to listen to/watch. The lazy ass clearly stopped practicing his instrument and became a joke of himself.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: December 12, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »
Lars isn't THAT bad these days. Kirk is way worse.

https://youtu.be/vzgOBND2rcc?t=8m24s

This is pretty solid.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: December 12, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
What if a genie granted me one wish in 1985 and I decided to disappear all current and future wah pedals.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #1609 on: December 12, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »
1) Seek & Destroy
2) Creeping Death
3) The Thing That Should Not Be
4) Eye of the Beholder
5) My Friend of Misery (or The Unforgiven)
6) King Nothing
7) Bad Seed
8) No Leaf Clover (though I prefer the S & M version of For Whom the Bell Tolls or Of Wolf and Man)
9) I Dissapear (I know I could be wrong, but I think that's how it was originally spelled)
10) Frantic
11) Pride, Passion & Glory version of Broken, Beat & Scarred

Bonus Track: Through the Never version of Orion
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...