Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix  (Read 212730 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 12:27:25 PM »
I guess you have to ask Cameron what his intention was, to make a believable yet imaginative planet or a fantasy sci-fi planet. I mean we're debating on how a freakin alien planet should look like!  :lol

To call Pandora not imaginative is IMO a bit harsh.

Because when 95% of what Pandora is is already stuff we have on Earth, praising Cameron for something creative seems very silly to me. He really did not have to work very hard to create that world.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »
I guess you have to ask Cameron what his intention was, to make a believable yet imaginative planet or a fantasy sci-fi planet. I mean we're debating on how a freakin alien planet should look like!  :lol

Because when 95% of what Pandora is is already stuff we have on Earth, praising Cameron for something creative seems very silly to me. He really did not have to work very hard to create that world.
Love your avatar, Orcus! Now that is an "Avatar" worth talking about! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
 :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »

I'm sorry but that is such a naive thing to say. We obviously don't share the same view so let's just end it right here.

Let's not derail this thread anymore, we have a seperate thread for that:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=8953.msg1571594#msg1571594

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm not really a graphics guy. Bad CGI doesn't bother me a lot and I don't even really notice good CGI. Which is probably why I didn't like Avatar because good CGI is about the only thing it had going for it. :P

And the backstory. One of the most impressive things in the movie is the world of Pandora that Cameron created. And I don't mean just visually, but the "science" behind it and the effort he likely have put into this world during most of his life.

There was nothing remotely special about Pandora that someone with a mild interest in sci-fi or fantasy couldn't come up with in 15 minutes.

The key phrase here is "come up with". I don't praise James Cameron for coming up with Pandora. Hell, every person who has ever done LSD or mushrooms has been there plenty of times. I praise him for his execution and  believability of it. 

But it's not difficult to make something like Pandora work. It's easily believable because it's simply just Earth with some CGI floating islands and glowing plants. It's like he didn't even try to make it a really alien world.
So tell me, how should an alien world look?  :P

My favorite example is Ridley Scott's Alien. Not quite a 'world', but it's my personal favorite example of mankind encountering a very alien culture, even though it's just the ancient remains of a crashed ship. Everything about it came across as 'different' and 'alien'.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
To make it interesting just make the whole thing look completely different from our world. Completely new lifeforms, distorted physics, hell throw in some multi-dimensional type stuff. Everything on Pandora was either exactly like or some kind of hybrid of stuff that is already on Earth. I mean I almost burst out laughing when I saw those stupid hammerhead shark/rhino things in the rainforest. A design like that is a lazy, last minute thing.

I bet you're just as little impressed by Tolkien's Middle Earth? Sure, that's more supposed to be Europe long ago, but the man did an extraordinary job of creating his own history and world of only things we've all heard of before. Same for James Cameron (although middle earth is far supperior), he did a pretty great job of putting a world he has probably been creating since he was a child on the screen.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
No. I view a fantasy world like Middle Earth as another dimension of Earth or a much older time with all kinds of mythology. It could be Earth, it could not be. The argument here is Cameron creating a whole new planet and being inherently lazy with every design aspect.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
Just saw Jack Reacher, I don't know why but I just love seeing Cruise in control.

Cruise control!

BTW:

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni55947321/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t2

ZOMG!  :omg:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:23:39 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »
Hasn't this been a thing before? And even though I feel like I should be happy about this, I'm not overly excited..

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »
Batman is my hands down favorite super hero...from babyhood.  Not sure of this mashup,  tho... :yeahright
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 04:46:54 PM »
Much Ado About Nothing review, if anyone's interested: https://hoppedonpop.com/2013/07/20/much-ado-about-nothing-2013/
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline sueño

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 04:49:28 PM »
Much Ado About Nothing review, if anyone's interested: https://hoppedonpop.com/2013/07/20/much-ado-about-nothing-2013/

I really must see this. Might be worth cinema vs. DVD.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
I personally don't think the transition to DVD will make that significant of a quality difference because the appeal doesn't depend on the cinema trappings, but it's definitely worth seeing now for $7 than buying it later for $30.

Offline sueño

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2013, 06:59:29 PM »
pssstt... i NEVER buy a DVD for $30!   :o   ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
...unless it's a precious "out of print" gem...

:angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
...unless it's a precious "out of print" gem...

:angel:

hmmm...perhaps.  there are a couple a video wonders that if they were EVER released in DVD format, I'd probably pay nearly any amount for them.

I can't think of a mainstream type film I'd do that for.  I wait for the sales at Target!  Or Amazon.    :coolio

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »
Just watched V for Vendetta. Interesting movie, gotta love Natalie Portman. Not sure I have any big complaints, and it had the charming quality of not feeling TOO much like a comic book story.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
Just watched V for Vendetta. Interesting movie, gotta love Natalie Portman. Not sure I have any big complaints, and it had the charming quality of not feeling TOO much like a comic book story.

Now that you mention it, you're totally right, and that's totally the thing that made it work. It felt like a dramatic work (as far as you can say that for the Wachowskis), not like pulp.

And on the subject of the Wachowskis, as much as Speed Racer was overall pretty meh, there's something about the general atmosphere of it and the overall Wachowski-ness of the whole endeavor that does nevertheless compel me to rewatch it every now and then. Something about it makes it worth it.

Offline sueño

« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »
Settling in to watch yet another DTF movie recommendation - "Robot and Frank".

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »
I haven't seen Speed Racer, but between The Matrix, Cloud Atlas, and now V for Vendetta they are some of my favorite directors in the business.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »

Almost sounds like an MST3K reference...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »

Now that you mention it, you're totally right, and that's totally the thing that made it work. It felt like a dramatic work (as far as you can say that for the Wachowskis), not like pulp.

And on the subject of the Wachowskis, as much as Speed Racer was overall pretty meh, there's something about the general atmosphere of it and the overall Wachowski-ness of the whole endeavor that does nevertheless compel me to rewatch it every now and then. Something about it makes it worth it.

I really need to see that.  The horrific reviews when it came out steered me clear of it....but I've got the biggest "celebrity crush" on Christina Ricci.   I really should give it at least one spin.

Offline sueño

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2013, 10:42:30 PM »

Ha!  No, it's a nice movie (in the near future) with Frank Langella and Susan Sarandon.  Frank is the old dad (and former jewel thief) whose son gets him a robot/healthcare aid to look after him in his fading years.  It's good.

If anyone has aging parents who are feistier than they have a right to be ;) this will strike a few chords.

"Speed Racer".  I wanted to like that movie SO BADLY!!!  Speed Racer was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid -- I still know the all the words to the intro theme by heart!

This movie is okay...Like Super Dude said it's kinda cool to look at but "meh" is a good word for it.  Very bright and colorful.  Christina Ricci is fine as always.  You did see "The Man Who Cried", right?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2013, 10:47:20 PM »
I have not seen it...but I have just been informed by the mrs that we DO own it.   (not surprising....she's the reason we own nearly EVERY Johnny Depp film.  :lol )

We have plans for tonight, but we'll be watching it in the very near future.

Offline sueño

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
Well, it's Christina's character's story.  Depp is just one of the people she meets in her life.

Beautiful music in it.

Offline sueño

« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »

Ha!  No, it's a nice movie (in the near future) with Frank Langella and Susan Sarandon.  Frank is the old dad (and former jewel thief) whose son gets him a robot/healthcare aid to look after him in his fading years.  It's good.

If anyone has aging parents who are feistier than they have a right to be ;) this will strike a few chords.

"Speed Racer".  I wanted to like that movie SO BADLY!!!  Speed Racer was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid -- I still know the all the words to the intro theme by heart!

This movie is okay...Like Super Dude said it's kinda cool to look at but "meh" is a good word for it.  Very bright and colorful.  Christina Ricci is fine as always.  You did see "The Man Who Cried", right?

Regarding "Robat and Frank" -- what a great palate cleanser for the dreck that was "Sharknado"!  :D  Fine story and acting!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2013, 12:24:52 AM »
I watched Robot and Frank on lonestar's recommendation/review, I believe. It did not disappoint. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2013, 05:09:54 AM »
I watched Safe Haven last night.  Hey, I'm married.  And up until the end, I thought it was OK for being a chick flick.  But the twist at the end sent it over the top into Lifetime Movie Network bullshit-land.  It went from no thumbs whatsoever to two thumbs down.   :tdwn :tdwn

Also finally watched Red yesterday.  That was a lot of fun.   :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2013, 05:55:14 AM »
Loved Red.  Looking forward to Red 2.  BTW John Malkovich's character is the best.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
Loved Red.  Looking forward to Red 2.  BTW John Malkovich's character is the best.

I saw Red 2 last night. Absolutely priceless! :rollin And YES, John Malkovich's character was probably the best part of the film. Either him or Helen Mirren. The two of them have some brilliant moments in R2. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
Red 2 was so good!

Offline sueño

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
Red 2 was so good!

VERY glad to hear this!

Offline sueño

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
Ha!

I just watched a cool little documentary on Netflix called, "The Achievers:  The Story of Lebowski Fans) (I think there's at least one fan here ;) ).

I like the movie but I didn't realize it had such a following.  Conventions all over the country, for cryin' out loud!

A coupla weeks ago, I saw a "Dude" sweater in a consignment shop near me.  Wonder should I see if it's still there.  It will be winter soon....    :justjen

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »
Ha!

I just watched a cool little documentary on Netflix called, "The Achievers:  The Story of Lebowski Fans) (I think there's at least one fan here ;) ).

I like the movie but I didn't realize it had such a following.  Conventions all over the country, for cryin' out loud!

A coupla weeks ago, I saw a "Dude" sweater in a consignment shop near me.  Wonder should I see if it's still there.  It will be winter
soon....     :justjen

Fixed :P

Oh snap I need to check it out now. (The doc that is)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Fast & Furious 6 was completely and utterly ridiculous.

I loved every minute of it.

Except the shitty theater we were in which didn't even have surround sound, but hey, it was $3, can't complain too much.