Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix  (Read 212748 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix
« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
It's from Nightmare on Elm Street 3.  :D

WELCOME TO PRIME TIME BITCH!

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
Ah.    :|
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
My Nightmare rankings:

A Nightmare On Elm Street
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
-almost every other movie ever made-
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:08 PM »
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (I remember respecting this one, but not really liking it that much)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master 
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

I watched New Nightmare when I was 5 and it really scared the shit out of me. 

Offline sueño

« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
My brother does that with his kids.  I don't understand how parents allow little ones to watch such horrible things...   >:(

I was 19 when I saw the first "Nightmare" and I regretted it.  I can't imagine how crap like that would affect such tender young minds.  :(

"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Dream Warriors
Freddy's Dead (Because it's hilarious)
ANOES
New Nightmare
Dream Master

Dream Child
Jesse & Fred's Gayest Adventure

Freddy VS Jason

Offline masterthes

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
My rankings:

Freddy vs. Jason

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
My brother does that with his kids.  I don't understand how parents allow little ones to watch such horrible things...   >:(

I was 19 when I saw the first "Nightmare" and I regretted it.  I can't imagine how crap like that would affect such tender young minds.  :(

Well it depends.  I saw all sorts of horror and other R-rated movies starting when I was about 8, I think, and it's never bothered me.  I mean, I hardly ever murder people. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »
Terminator Salvation is still pretty cool. I just wish they hadn't given away the twist in the damn trailer. What idiots they are.

Offline sueño

« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »

Well it depends.  I saw all sorts of horror and other R-rated movies starting when I was about 8, I think, and it's never bothered me.  I mean, I hardly ever murder people.

:lol  It's not about inspiring to murder.  It's just that I believe little ones should be kept (protected?) from the scary uglies of life as long as possible.  Why should a four-year old see blood and guts?  Hear harsh language?  Violent behavior as entertainment?

*shrug*  Maybe it's just me.  But life gets scary fast enough in reality, IMO.  Allowing children to see such things as fun recreation kinda -- IDK -- "rapes" their young minds a little bit.  :(

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »

:lol  It's not about inspiring to murder.  It's just that I believe little ones should be kept (protected?) from the scary uglies of life as long as possible.  Why should a four-year old see blood and guts?  Hear harsh language?  Violent behavior as entertainment?

*shrug*  Maybe it's just me.  But life gets scary fast enough in reality, IMO.  Allowing children to see such things as fun recreation kinda -- IDK -- "rapes" their young minds a little bit.  :(

Eh.  I understand your logic, but the way I see it, sheltering kids when they're young just leads to bad surprises and disillusionment when they grow up.  Speaking from personal experience, I definitely wish my parents had been a bit less 'protective' of me when I was a kid.  The world isn't all puppy dogs and rainbows, and because my parents pretended it was, I still struggle with frequent reality checks to this day.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline sueño

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2013, 05:24:10 PM »
being murdered or chopped to bits or any of the other nasty things seen in horror films is NOT preparing kids for real life.

who wouldn't want to be sheltered from things like that happening to them?  at least as adults, we can accept that it's not real.  Little kids have very thin filters between reality and fantasy -- they often believe what they see and it can be upsetting.

Why do that for no reason?

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »
being murdered or chopped to bits or any of the other nasty things seen in horror films is NOT preparing kids for real life.

No, but seeing movies where people are murdered can prepare people for living in a world where people are murdered. 

who wouldn't want to be sheltered from things like that happening to them?

Well I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't shelter our kids from these things happening to them.  Obviously we should protect our children from the murderers and criminals of the world as best as we can.  But that doesn't mean we have to protect them from the idea of murderers and criminals existing in the world.  I honestly think it makes more sense to let them get used to that idea while they're still under our protection.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:33:28 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline sueño

« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
Hmmm.  Different parenting skills, obviously.  :)

In all of my life, I've never had to actually witness someone being murdered.  Nor even experienced a single situation that folks find entertaining in horror films.  Therefore, I fail to see where viewing that crap as a child would have prepared me for anything beyond bad dreams.  Hearing screams, etc. tend to unsettle kids.  Feelings of fear are not constructive, IMO -- especially when it's viewed as entertaining.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »

Eh.  I understand your logic, but the way I see it, sheltering kids when they're young just leads to bad surprises and disillusionment when they grow up.  Speaking from personal experience, I definitely wish my parents had been a bit less 'protective' of me when I was a kid.  The world isn't all puppy dogs and rainbows, and because my parents pretended it was, I still struggle with frequent reality checks to this day.

This right here.

Under no circumstance will I ever pull the wool over my kids eyes for the sake of "protecting" them. This ain't no fairy tale world, and the sooner they come to understand that the better. Not all at once of course, but gradually as they grow, I will do my best to prepare them for the unforgiving and sometimes very cruel challenges that will be awaiting them in adulthood.

Offline sueño

« Reply #190 on: August 01, 2013, 06:31:39 PM »
"Carry on, my wayward sons..."  ;)

So....I'm watching "The Departed" tonight!   :coolio

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
Rewatched The Big Lebowski yesterday. As amazing as I remembered, Walter is one of my favourite movie characters of all time.

Also, I had to think of Kev during the whole scene with Jesus. :lol :lol
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #192 on: August 03, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »
I haven't seen any of the Elm Street films in years, but the first one was the best.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare was far and away the best of the sequels.  Fantastic film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #193 on: August 03, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »
I haven't seen any of the Elm Street films in years, but the first one was the best.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare was far and away the best of the sequels.  Fantastic film.

I also agree.  Dream Warriors is my third favorite.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sueño

« Reply #194 on: August 03, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
I seem to remember someone here mentioning how good The Sapphires was.  I watched it today, it wsd fantastic!  The story reminded me of a singing friend I have and her relationships with family, music, and romance.  Good stuff.   :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »
I was scanning through my iTunes movie library today to see what sort of film I wanted to watch for a break. You know what I realized?

I really hate the colors orange and blue.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2013, 10:30:37 PM »
Now we're thinking with portals.

:neverusethis:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2013, 10:43:09 PM »
Orange and blue are complementary colours, aren't they? I can see why they choose them. Plus it's the only way to successfully combine bleak and gritty with mindless explosions, so what else can you expect Hollywood to do? :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2013, 07:22:22 AM »
Red and green are also complimentary, but they're the Christmas colors so if you use a lot of red and green, it looks Christmassy.  Yellow and purple, for some reason, just don't have the same bite.

Blue and orange work so well because they're complimentary, plus blue has the "cool" vibe and orange has the "hot" vibe, so contrasting moods, and things like explosions and darkness and all that can easily be done.  Or overdone.  Or as in the case of Hollywood, extremely overdone.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »
Or they could just not base their posters on complimentary colors.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
What, do something original?  Why would they do that?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2013, 10:49:52 AM »
https://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-reasons-2015-could-be-movie-industrys-worst-year-ever/

That's pretty sad. Because movies are getting more expensive, it means movies are being made safer bets by appealing to the lowest common denominator, and why there are so many rehashes of established franchises.

Offline sueño

« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Support your local (or foreign) indie films!   :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Support your local (or foreign) indie films!   :tup

:tup I've been looking to a lot of foreign movies lately (not indie). Japan has a lot of good scifi movies, and India has a few great ones too. The CG on them is surprisingly good too, even though not quite big budget Hollywood level. And they're much more interesting to me than anything from Hollywood lately.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
So yeah, Hollywood most likely will implode in the next decade.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
I very much doubt it will implode, it's just too big for that. No chance. But I think there may be a shift in how they do business, and where they focus their efforts.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
Question for the American fogies: I've been trying to remember the name of this one film about summer camp that's from either the late '70s or early '80s, and it's apparently one of the quintessential summer camp comedies, but for the life of me I can't remember the name!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Question for the American fogies: I've been trying to remember the name of this one film about summer camp that's from either the late '70s or early '80s, and it's apparently one of the quintessential summer camp comedies, but for the life of me I can't remember the name!

I'm guessing "Meatballs".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC