Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix  (Read 212732 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
I watched it just because Rhona Mitra is hot.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »
I almost never see movies in theaters anymore, but I'm thinking of making an exception for The Conjuring.
I just saw, The Conjuring. In a sea of crappy horror movies, this one is actually scary.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Just watched Hot Shots (1991). Stupid fun movie!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
I think the sequel is almost as good

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
New trailer/clip for Gravity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX5EKEF37CU

Holy fuck.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2013, 07:42:41 PM »
New trailer/clip for Gravity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX5EKEF37CU

Holy fuck.

Didn't really get much from the trailer and I was all ready to write it off as whatever until I saw the name Alfonso Cuarón.

Now I must see it.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
I'm really looking forward to that one. Neither trailer has given us much, but it looks visually stunning. Couple that with the fact Cuaron is at the helm, and this should be good.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
I just watched Global Metal.

Great film. Watch it even if you're not a fan of metal, though I'd make the assumption that'd not apply to many here. :)

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »
I am really excited about Gravity. Looks amazing.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:53 AM »
I'm really looking forward to that one. Neither trailer has given us much, but it looks visually stunning. Couple that with the fact Cuaron is at the helm, and this should be good.

Frankly, Cuaron is the ONLY reason why I'm excited.  Sandra Bullock and Mr. Clooney are great and all, I guess, but those trailers are pretty bland. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »
Bland?  The Gravity trailers are horrifying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
Ever since I saw the first one I've been looking forward to getting the second, and hopefully more material. It was equally useful, so basically not useful.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
Bland?  The Gravity trailers are horrifying.

I honestly wish I could agree.  They make me wonder, "How on earth (no pun intended) do they intend to stretch that concept into a full length movie?"

Although I should know better, after seeing Buried  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »
So I just finished watching that new movie Mass Effect, uh I mean Oblivion.

And... I don't have a clue whether I liked it or not.

From the way it starts out I swore I was watching Mass Effect, even down to the music, then It morphs into something else

Its first twist was completely ruined by the trailer, a very dumb move on the part of whoever cleared that trailer.

The 2nd twist you will see coming a mile away if you are in any way a fan of movies. The ending was very safe and I'll leave it at that. Overall it was alright, but felt a bit derivative, and in the spirit of not spoiling anything, I'll stop right there and put the rest in small text. 

!!!!!!Spoilers!!!!!       !!!!!!Spoilers!!!!!         

Boy, somebody's a fan of Duncan Jones, aren't they. When it turned into Moon, I pretty much checked out. Moon knocked me on my ass with its twist, and it was very tame here how Oblivion did it. Morgan freeman was revealed in the trailer which took all suspense out of the first act, since I knew the "enemy" were humans. I kept looking for twists the whole time since the trailer fucked everything up. Then I love the ending when it literally turns into Independence Day where they have to take down the mother-ship

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
Yeah...but how about that POOL??!!!???!!!??   :omg:   ;D   :hat
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2013, 08:10:30 PM »
Men in Black III was pretty good. Way way better than II. Like WAY WAY better than II.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2013, 03:56:47 AM »
Men in Black III was pretty good. Way way better than II. Like WAY WAY better than II.

I hated MIB III. They ruined the time traveling element at the end when they were fighting on the Saturn V rocket.

Offline adastra

« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2013, 04:45:43 AM »
I saw Cloud Atlas yesterday! I was totally blown away!
What a good movie  :smiley:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2013, 05:11:25 AM »
Wolverine will be seen today!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2013, 05:44:39 AM »
I was bored to shit by that movie. I know others who loved it, but not me. I hate movies that make my brain hurt. That's not entertaining to me.

Offline adastra

« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2013, 06:59:51 AM »
I was bored to shit by that movie. I know others who loved it, but not me. I hate movies that make my brain hurt. That's not entertaining to me.

I like this kind of movies, but sometimes i need a dose of Will Ferrell to balance it  ;D  He has pretty good movies!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »

I hated MIB III. They ruined the time traveling element at the end when they were fighting on the Saturn V rocket.

Can you explain please?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:06 AM »

:'( This was far and away my favorite movie last year, and probably a top 5 overall movie for me.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:50 AM »

:'( This was far and away my favorite movie last year, and probably a top 5 overall movie for me.
Well...I didn't like it so... to each his own.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »
The Wolverine was as good as advertised. The best X-Men type movie since the 2nd one IMO. Wish I had stayed for the post credits scene as it has ties to Days of Future's Past

Offline sueño

« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »
The Wolverine was as good as advertised. The best X-Men type movie since the 2nd one IMO. Wish I had stayed for the post credits scene as it has ties to Days of Future's Past

Don't you know by now that you must ALWAYS stay for the post credits of a Marvel film????   :loser:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
For the ones done BY Marvel Studios.

The Fox/Sony ones don't usually have post-credit scenes...
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline sueño

« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »
Well...I'm one who stays thru the end of credits for all the movies I see (I like checking soundtrack and location info), so...

I never miss ANY of those bits at the end!  :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2013, 07:01:10 AM »

thanks for the tip!  Prolly gonna go with jingle.son tomorrow night.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2013, 03:10:02 PM »
(Long post inc)

So, I've been watching all the Elm Street movies these last two weeks, and it gave me a lot of joy. Prior to this I had only seen the original and the remake from 2010, so this gave me the opportunity to watch all the sequels and Freddy vs Jason which came out 10 years ago. This is how I would rank them, and also descriptions of what I liked/disliked about the movies:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors - After the second movie which was a big letdown, this sequel did pretty much everything right, and in my opinion even topped the original. Some of the scariest scenes in the whole franchise was in this movie, particularly the early scenes with Patricia Arquette walking around in her dreams. The movie had several memorable scenes and deaths, and it was cool to see some of the original cast as well. Patricia Arquette and Laurence Fishburne in two of their earlier roles (Patricia's first movie), and as a whole the movie was just a great mix of a good cast, an interesting script and concept, and a Freddy that was still more evil than he was a wise-cracking joker.

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street - A classic that I think most people who are into horror has seen. It's a classic movie for a reason and has a lot of memorable scenes and deaths. Johnny Depp makes his first movie role, and it's nice to remember that he used to be a human being before he only started to take weird roles in movies. I don't know what else to say, this is just a great movie overall.

3. Wes Craven's New Nightmare - The seventh movie, and the last of the sequels in the franchise, not counting Freddy vs Jason. Wes Craven was back in the director's chair for the first time since the original, and the result was one of the best movies in the whole franchise. I will say that this movie is unique compared to the other 6, since it's not really a continuation of those 6 movies, but rather a new perspective on the story, as the events in nr7 takes place in "the real world", and Freddy haunting the actors that were in his movies. It might sound weird or lame, I thought it sounded really bizarre the first time I heard the story, but as a movie it really works. Possibly the darkest movie out of the 7, at least has the darkest Freddy, and some cool stuff. You can really see connections in this movie to Scream, which Wes Craven made 2 years later.

4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master - The fourth movie was really when things started to turn for the worse, but hadn't quite gone over the line yet. This is the movie where Freddy started becoming more of a funny character, and there is a scene where he puts on a pair of sunglasses which is a good example of something he wouldn't have done in the first 3 movies. I feel like this movie was still a very good one, because while it was more to the funny side, it hadn't crossed the line, so there was still some clever writing and some great scenes. It was too bad that Patricia Arquette didn't come back to reprise her role, and I do feel like they killed off the people from nr3 a bit fast, but as a whole, Renny Harlin made a good sequel.

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge - Oh boy. This one was a mess. There is a phenomenon with remakes and sequels, where they try to change a lot of things from the original, to sort of justify making a new movie. And it felt with this movie like everything they changed, they changed for the worse. They completely fucked with the rules from the original, but few of the new features made any sense. Basically Freddy tried using the main character as an avatar to escape the dream world, and it was just weird. Freddy running around outside in the real world, that was bizarre. This was also possibly the gayest movie I have ever seen. And it's fascinating, because the people behind the movie had no idea, and no intentions in making the movie that way, but it came out so homoerotic, and there are many strong gay-vibes in this movie. The main character is about to have sex with the cute girl who has a fling on him, when he runs out, and goes home to his best male friend, to sleep in his room. And it was just so weird, there was even a line in the movie where the friend said something like "so you came here to sleep with me?", which was just awful. On the plus-side, this movie did have some good stuff too. The openingscene with the bus was really cool, and there were good scenes throughout.

6. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare - The sixth one, and is generally regarded the worst together with the fifth. I'm giving this one a slight edge over the fifth, because in the fifth one, the main storyline or concept was starting to get a bit stale, and in this one they at least tried to change things up a bit. New characters, it felt very Twin Peaks-inspired (which I got confirmed from the documentary that it was), because the setup was a bit more like a mystery, and the town of Springwood was generally frightening in this movie. I feel like the David Lynch-vibe was there, because there were several sequences that felt like "is this dream, is this reality, what is happening?" that Lynch often has in his movies. With that said, the movie still suffers from Freddy being more funny than scary, and the last 10 minutes being in 3D felt a bit out of place, though I have to give them some credit for it. I feel like the way they incorporated it into the movie was kinda unique and cool, with the main character putting on a pair of glasses in the movie, and everything after that was in 3D. It had some memorable scenes, like Freddy killing a character inside a video game, and while I didn't care much for the characters overall (the main female role I liked), it was also a bit cool to see Breckin Meyer in an early role.

7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child - While this is my least favorite for now, it wasn't all bad. The main characters were enjoyable, and there were some memorable death scenes. It had the funny Freddy and a lot of really bizarre scenes, the dinner-scene comes to mind. I didn't really care much for Freddy as a baby and coming back, and I felt like the main plot of the main character getting pregnant and the baby starting to dream about Freddy felt a bit silly. It felt a bit all over the place, though it had some cool scenes, like when Dan gets killed on the motorcycle.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #170 on: July 30, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
3 is #1??   :|

I thought the first half was brilliant....but the moment they start becoming superheroes in their dreams, it became the single worst horror movie I've ever seen in my life.   I personally think the second half of that movie is even worse than Manos: The Hands of Fate and The Room *PUT TOGETHER*...   

The first movie is one of the greatest horror movies ever made....and New Nightmare was a breath of fresh air in a dying franchise.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #171 on: July 30, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
I dunno, I really liked the third one a lot. I know there are many people who rank it very high as well.  :hat

Offline sueño

« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »
The first movie is one of the greatest horror movies ever made....and New Nightmare was a breath of fresh air in a dying franchise.

That first movie scared the crap outta me.    :o

No desire to see ANY of the other ones...horror movies and I do not get along.   :-X

Offline jammindude

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
"In *my* dreams...I'm beautiful.....

......AND BAD!!!"   :facepalm:

No...you're not.   NEXT!!!   ;D :angel: ::)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline sueño

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »
¿qué?    :huh: