Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix  (Read 212738 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Movie Thread v. Order of the Phoenix
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
Ha!

I just watched a cool little documentary on Netflix called, "The Achievers:  The Story of Lebowski Fans) (I think there's at least one fan here ;) ).

I like the movie but I didn't realize it had such a following.  Conventions all over the country, for cryin' out loud!

A coupla weeks ago, I saw a "Dude" sweater in a consignment shop near me.  Wonder should I see if it's still there.  It will be winter soon....    :justjen

I have a love/hate relationship with BL.   I love the premise, I love the characters, I LOL at the jokes....but I really cannot stand the language.   I honestly *HATE* it.  It ruins the entire movie for me.   

And I'm not a prude.  I'm not standing back saying, "OH MY VIRGIN EARS!!"    It's just that like, when you say *ANY* like word like every other like word.   It like really like makes you sound like really like a stupid, ignorant MORON.      The F-bomb doesn't shock me....and I don't care if it pops up occasionally in the natural course of events (even if I, because of personal convictions, choose not to use it in my personal life).    You can argue that the F-bomb is no different than any other word...and that's fine...but it goes the other way as well.    If anyone uses *ANY* word that often in their speech....whether it be "like", "hella", "killer" or just "um"....you're going to sound like an annoying idiot.    And *that* is my problem with the movie. 

I've seen it twice...and I really identify with the "feel" of the Dude character...but I don't consider myself a die-hard rewatcher fan of the movie.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »
Fast & Furious 6 was completely and utterly ridiculous.

I loved every minute of it.

Except the shitty theater we were in which didn't even have surround sound, but hey, it was $3, can't complain too much.

HEY

I saw it in a shitty 3 dollar theater too! We had surround sound but there were spots where the sound would just cut out :lol

And I agree... it was completely and udderly ridiculous... but awesome!

(that poor mustang though :( )
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
Ha!

I just watched a cool little documentary on Netflix called, "The Achievers:  The Story of Lebowski Fans) (I think there's at least one fan here ;) ).

I like the movie but I didn't realize it had such a following.  Conventions all over the country, for cryin' out loud!

A coupla weeks ago, I saw a "Dude" sweater in a consignment shop near me.  Wonder should I see if it's still there.  It will be winter soon....    :justjen

I have a love/hate relationship with BL.   I love the premise, I love the characters, I LOL at the jokes....but I really cannot stand the language.   I honestly *HATE* it.  It ruins the entire movie for me.   

And I'm not a prude.  I'm not standing back saying, "OH MY VIRGIN EARS!!"    It's just that like, when you say *ANY* like word like every other like word.   It like really like makes you sound like really like a stupid, ignorant MORON.      The F-bomb doesn't shock me....and I don't care if it pops up occasionally in the natural course of events (even if I, because of personal convictions, choose not to use it in my personal life).    You can argue that the F-bomb is no different than any other word...and that's fine...but it goes the other way as well.    If anyone uses *ANY* word that often in their speech....whether it be "like", "hella", "killer" or just "um"....you're going to sound like an annoying idiot.    And *that* is my problem with the movie. 

I've seen it twice...and I really identify with the "feel" of the Dude character...but I don't consider myself a die-hard rewatcher fan of the movie.

I agree 1000%.  I've only seen the film once for that very reason.  That repetition starts to feeling like someone beating me in my ears.   :angry:

The sweater looks like a great lounging item, though.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
Fast & Furious 6 was completely and utterly ridiculous.

I loved every minute of it.

Except the shitty theater we were in which didn't even have surround sound, but hey, it was $3, can't complain too much.

HEY

I saw it in a shitty 3 dollar theater too! We had surround sound but there were spots where the sound would just cut out :lol

And I agree... it was completely and udderly ridiculous... but awesome!

(that poor mustang though :( )

eh, If it was a Viper I'd shed a tear.

And I lied. I didn't love EVERY minute of it. I just remembered there was some really stupid dialogue, but the majority of the movie was awesome.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »

The sweater looks like a great lounging item, though.

:tup

Absolutely agree.   I want one.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
It was what it was supposed to be. Big explosions. Fast Cars. Scantly clad women, with Vin Diesel running round in a white Tshirt and Dwayne Johnson in an underarmor style shirt. I expected nothing less. Lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »
It was what it was supposed to be. Big explosions. Fast Cars. Scantly clad women, with Vin Diesel running round in a white Tshirt and Dwayne Johnson in an underarmor style shirt. I expected nothing less. Lol

Yeah I know. There's bad dialogue in every movie. Exposition dialogue is my biggest pet peeve with movies and TV. But yeah, it delivered in everything you said, but the crappy sound took some of that enjoyment away.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
Still worth each one of those dollar bills. lol

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2013, 02:53:25 PM »
Yep lol If I paid full price and had shitty sound, then I'd be more upset.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »
Next movie on our list to see:  Gatsby

soon maybe next week

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline sueño

« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »

soon maybe next week

Good film.  Visually stunning! 

Jay Z soundtrack not as annoying as I thought it would be.   :yeahright
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
Jay Z?

ugh

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline sueño

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
Jay Z?

ugh

Yeah, I know.  Well...don't let that stop you.  It's not incredibly blatant.  And it's NOT incredibly hip-hop.  :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2013, 04:00:12 PM »
I just watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time. All I can say is:  :omg:

That was fucking amazing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
 :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
Pan's Labyrinth is completely and utterly amazing.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
It was OK.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
I really liked PL....but ultimately didn't have much sympathy for the characters.    I found myself in several spots just saying...  :facepalm: ...."What the CRAP did you do THAT for???" 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »

soon maybe next week

Good film.  Visually stunning! 

Jay Z soundtrack not as annoying as I thought it would be.   :yeahright

Even though it's in the 20's, the music doesn't seem out of place at all. The movie was VERY accurate with the book, with much of the dialogue directly ripped off of the book (in a good way).

You might be surprised how it starts though.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »
Pan's Labyrinth is definitely one of my favs!

Also, did anyone else see The Conjuring?

That movie was FANTASTIC. Scariest theater experience I've had.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
Kickboxer.

Van Damme, dancing, fighting and being drunk at the same time! What more do you need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE8XKeN0zk4
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
So Die Hard with a Vengeance is rated really low on Rotten Tomatoes, but I love the movie. For those who saw the newest one and like DHwaV, was it any good/at least enjoyable/better than Die Hard 2?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »
So Die Hard with a Vengeance is rated really low on Rotten Tomatoes, but I love the movie. For those who saw the newest one and like DHwaV, was it any good/at least enjoyable/better than Die Hard 2?

Die Hard with a vengeance is my favorite of all of them.

For me, I don't even consider Live free or die hard/A good day to die hard to be Die Hard movies. Mainly because its Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis/superman rather than playing John Mcclane.

And despite its flaws, Die hard 2 blows the last two out of the water, imo.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
So all this week on Amazon the Bluray LOTR Trilogy Extended Edition is on sale for $50 instead of the usual $120.  Even though my family already has the dvd extended edition of the trilogy, really tempted to get this to build my own movie collection. does anyone have this and is it worth buying?

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
So all this week on Amazon the Bluray LOTR Trilogy Extended Edition is on sale for $50 instead of the usual $120.  Even though my family already has the dvd extended edition of the trilogy, really tempted to get this to build my own movie collection. does anyone have this and is it worth buying?

Wait, all three?

On BluRay?

EXTENDED??

Yes, yes that is worth it.

Offline sueño

« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2013, 02:16:31 PM »

WOW!!!   :o

I don't own any of the LOTR but this makes it very tempting.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
Die Hard With a Vengeance is a phenomenal flick which unfairly gets lumped in with the rest of the terrible Die Hard sequels.  I might go as far as to say it's the most underrated action movie ever.  It's a ton of fun, is surprisingly original in its execution, has tons of neat setpieces, and solid characters.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
Die Hard With a Vengeance is a phenomenal flick which unfairly gets lumped in with the rest of the terrible Die Hard sequels.  I might go as far as to say it's the most underrated action movie ever.  It's a ton of fun, is surprisingly original in its execution, has tons of neat setpieces, and solid characters.

It's been on Cinemax a ton and I can't stop watching it.  I love Samuel L. Jackson's character.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »

You know what this means don't you?

It means that they may be getting ready to release a long rumored (but never officially confirmed) "Ultimate Edition"....even more deleted scenes...even more bonus features. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2013, 08:00:40 PM »

This is like the first opinion of yours I've ever agreed with. Surely hell has frozen over.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:29 PM »
Just got back from a double header, This is the End and The Conjuring. The first was absurd and a little painful at times, but overall a relatively enjoyable comedy experience. I didn't realize all the actors would be playing fictionalized versions of themselves, which was definitely the highlight of the whole movie for me. The Conjuring was a completely different experience, as you might expect. I don't normally do horror movies, and never in theaters. It was a really well made, incredibly suspenseful and scary, as well as having a compelling story based on real events. I found myself with goosebumps for the last half of the movie, and that's a testament to its quality.

Scariest theater experience I've had.

This is spot on for me, and if you like scary movies than you would do well to check this one out. However, at the end of the day, I'm not so sure it was a good idea for me to watch it. Like I said, I've never been big on horror movies, and now I'm dreading the upcoming dreams.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2013, 01:12:20 AM »
I almost never see movies in theaters anymore, but I'm thinking of making an exception for The Conjuring. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:40 AM »
I saw Pacific Rim the other day. T'was awesome. :metal I'll be seeing The Conjuring later this week, I believe. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2013, 08:03:13 AM »
I almost never see movies in theaters anymore, but I'm thinking of making an exception for The Conjuring.

Do it! Great " date" movie, too  :laugh: 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »
Just watched an insane movie. Insanely good, I think...

This thing is 3 movies for the price of one. If you take Resident evil, mix it with Mad Max and Bravehart, then you get Doomsday. Any fan of any of those three movies should definitely check this thing out, and it certainly earns its R rating.