Author Topic: Tesla (band) appreciation thread  (Read 4425 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Tesla (band) appreciation thread
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
I doubt there are a ton of Tesla fans on this board, but looking back at some old posts, there are easily enough to have a bit of discussion.

IMO, they are one of the best bands to come out of the '80s.  They are one of a handful of bands to be lumped into the "hair metal" genre that probably should not have been (and I'm not bashing "hair metal" by any means--just saying they didn't really fit that lable).  I would say they are a straight-up hard rock band with well-written songs that often tended to cover some fairly deep topics.

I discovered this band when their debut album, Mechanical Resonance, came out.  I saw the video for Modern Day Cowboy on MTV and thought the song was great.  A short time later, I saw them open for Def Leppard on Lep's Hysteria tour.  And while the Tesla guys were new to the big stage, they held their own and put on a great show that piqued my interest enough to make me go out and buy the album.

I consider The Great Radio Controversy to be one of the best hard rock albums ever.  Just a great album from start to finish.  And I love that it was longer than the typical album back then and that they didn't cut songs just to make it shorter.  Even the deep cuts from that album are pretty good.  And the accoustic recordings from their one-off club shows from that tour that spawed Five Man Acoustical Jam basically created MTV Unplugged. 

Psychotic Supper is less consistent to me, but still had some great tracks.  But I lost interest after that.  Despite that, I was bummed when the band went on hiatus and appeared done for. 

I was surprised and thrilled when they released their live album, Replugged Live, in 2001.  It reall captured the great live energy this band has, and it was great to hear them playing again.  2004's Into The Now was a HUGE surprise.  A lot of '80s bands had tried modernizing their sound in the early 2000s, only to fall flat and fail.  To me, this album was a resounding success.  It sounded modern, but somehow still retained the classic Tesla sound at the same time and did not at all sound like a "sell-out" or a failed attempt to make an older band sound more current.  To me, there are three standout albums from the early 2000's that successfully achieved this:  Into The Now, Scorpions' Humanity: Hour I, and Dave Meniketti's self-titled solo album.  Those, to me, are easily the top-3 hard rock albums of that decade.

I think the band kind of lost a step after that.  The Real to Reel disks were really cool "live" studio recordings of some older classic songs that influenced the band and were performed really, really well.  But Forever More, to me, was just so-so.  And having seen the band live a couple of times, sad to say, but JK's range is really diminished.  As high as he sings, and in the style he sings, that is hardly surprising.  But sad nonetheless.  Still, I really like these guys and feel they are one of the best bands to come out of the '80s.  Having grown up in the Bay Area and having lived in the Sacramento area for almost a decade now, it's odd that I have never met them (well, aside from my plane ride with Frank Hannon a couple of years ago) and have never seen the Frank Hannon band.  I suppose I will have to remedy that at some point.

Anyhow, discuss...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Tesla (band) appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
I saw Tesla in...lord, was it 1989? OUCH...touring with Badlands and Great White, and I have to say that while I have gone to better top to bottom concerts, Tesla's set might very well have been a top five live performance for me. Tesla was a 70s hard rock band that had the misfortune to be signed at a time where if you played anything remotely near heavy metal, you were lumped in with hair metal like Bosk said. Tesla wasn't anything near hair metal. Their first two albums are among my favorites for just cranking up as loud as possible while driving, I really liked the acoustic album (that's what we old timers call unplugged albums. Get off our lawns you whippersnappers) but they lost something after that, and never really hit the heights of their first two albums since, though I really enjoyed the cover albums. I hold The Great Radio Controversy in the same high regard for hard rock albums as I do Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, which was my favorite hard rock album of the 1970s. It's that good.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
I agree about the whole 70's thing.

A song like "What You Give" should be a mainstay on classic rock stations.

I am a pretty big fan of 70's rock and they always reminded me of that era.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
Heaven's Trail (No Way Out) and The Way It Is are staples of my jukebox playlist for Thirsty Thursdays.  Tesla is a fantastic band that I always felt like were a little underrated.  As noted, they really didn't fit the hair metal moniker, despite somehow being lumped into it.  I saw them a couple years ago at M3 and they were absolutely outstanding.  Setlist:

Forever More
Hang Tough
Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)
Mama's Fool
2nd Street
Paradise
Love Me
Song & Emotion
Modern Day Cowboy
Love Song
Signs

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »
I am a pretty big fan of 70's rock and they always reminded me of that era.

Yeah.  The fact that they were huge into a LOT of the '60s and early 70's bands that were really the foundation of '70s hard rock really helped forge a very '70s-sound for them that was not typical of the '80s hard rock/metal scene. 

Now all we need is for TAC to post some concert pics and for me to make a Y&T reference, and this thread will be complete.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
GTA Vice City  :biggrin:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »
They were a staple for me back in the day but I guess I drifted away from them like many other bands from that era as I got
older. I pull out an album from time to time and always enjoy it when I do. Good memories.

On a side note I have not spun Humanity Hour 1 in a long time and maybe it's time I did.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
I'm appreciating. A great band. No frills hard rock. those first 3 albums and half of the 4th are top class. One of the few bands that writes a great ballad without being unnecessarily wimpy.

Great live band too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »
Now all we need is for TAC to post some concert pics and for me to make a Y&T reference, and this thread will be complete.  :biggrin:

I've got them, too. Unfortunately none are scanned into Photobucket.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »
:lol  It's okay.  We can wait for you to scan them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
Reporting for duty. Too busy to read it all now, but will do so later, and post my thoughts/memories. But for now,

PUT THIS IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!!!

I did a lot of that back then. :bong:

Nope ... There should be one tho.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »
We should probably call this the "Fogeys  for Tesla" thread.

Anyways, I've always considered Tesla to be the most underrated American rock band ever, such a tremendous sound in an email that was starting to get washed out with all the hair metal.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
Tesla is great. The singer has a really cool tough voice. Definitely one of the better bands to come out of the 80's. Very underrated.  :tup

Haven't heard their recent albums, though I've been meaning to.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
Loved Tesla every time I saw them live. When they opened for Scorpions, Thet had cds available of that show after their set, I bought it and its good, not mastered but still great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
Anyways, I've always considered Tesla to be the most underrated American rock band ever
I believe that distinction belongs to the original Alice Cooper band.

I first heard of Tesla in the fall of 1986. I was driving back to college one Sunday night and I heard this great song. The DJ didn't credit it, so when I got to my dorm room almost 45 minutes later, I literally called the station to find out what song that was. It was Modern Day Cowboy. I bought the Lbum the next day.

First time I saw then was 1/16/87 when they were opening for David Lee Roth. Saw them a ton of times back in the day. Last time was in early 96 when they performed as a 4 piece.
Always a great band.

They were a 70's band trapped inthe 80's. Never to be confused with any hair metal band, but they toured many times with Poison, so I guess they were guilty by association.

I never cared for Into The Now, but I thought Forever More had a much more classic Tesla feel.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
I first got into them in 87 or 88.  A buddy of mine who worked the overnight shift at McDonald's got me in to a lot of great rock and what's now considered "Classic Rock".  I hadn't heard all of Mechanical Resonance, but Modern Day Cowboy got a ton of airtime.  Ya know, for the longest time, I thought that album was called Mechanical Renaissance.  Always thought that was a cool name.  Anyway, TGRC (as Bosk says), is pound-for-pound, one of the greatest pure rock albums.  Not a single bad track there.  I'd probably only compare Whitesnake s/t to it.  Nothing stands out as the clear flagship song (save maybe The Love Song for all the radio and video airtime that one got).  Every song is just plain out fantastic.  Psychotic Supper ... if not for the couple of stinkers on it (I'm looking at you Time and Stir It Up), I might've liked it better than TGRC.  Luckily, the strong tracks overshadow the weaker ones well enough.  Bust a Nut was a disappointment for sure.  I think they knew their style of music had been passed by in the market.... then they pull a Keyser Soze :poof: like so many bands of that time and genre.  :sadpanda:

Like Tim said, I really enjoy Forever More, but wasn't too taken with Into the Now when I discovered both last summer.  Maybe I should go back to it and give it another chance.

One of my favorite glam (but not glam) bands from the 80s/90s.  Unfortunately, because they had long hair, they got lumped in with the Poison, Slaughter, Cinderella group.  With 10x the talent, it was a shame they couldn't break out from that perception.  I never did get to see them live... I got Poison with DLR in 87, and never did see the Hysteria tour (can't remember why).

Damn... just listening to Change In the Weather and Edison's Medicine as I'm typing.  If that isn't one helluva 1-2 combo to open an album, I don't know what is.  Great licks... and Keith's voice is the perfect combination of a great range and just that touch of gritty and rawness.

Bosk... you ever check out Europe's 2000s releases?  They are pretty solid.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »
I've always been a fan  :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 12:56:39 AM »
They were always a bit ordinary for me. But Five Man Acoustical Jam is still one of the best albums I own.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 02:07:03 AM »
Yeah, a Tesla thread  :metal

Coincidentally just this week I decided to listen through their discography again. They were a great band and I really really like them.

I discovered Tesla somewhere back in 91 when Psychotic Supper was released. MTV (the german branch that is) played Signs on a regular basis and I liked it quite a bit. Then one day MTV would broadcast the whole concert as I was flipping through the channels. I came in quite early and watched and listened to the end and decided that I had to check them out. A few days later my sister was at a Scorpions concert and Tesla opened for them. They just had released Psychotic Supper and at that concert handed out promo records for some people. My sister got one and gave it to me, because at that time she had no CD player  :biggrin:

On this CD were the tracks Call It What You Want, Edison's Medicine, Song & Emotion and What You Give, the latter three heavily edited to be each around three minutes long. Nevertheless I was completely hooked. The very next day Tesla would be in a record store in downtown for a signing session and a short acoustic concert. I went there, they performed four or five acoustic tracks (I think Signs, The Way It Is, No Way Out and one or two other), I got an autographed disc sleeve and bought Psychotic Supper and Five Man Acoustical Jam. So much for Tesla overload within a few days. :metal

A couple weeks later I bought Mechanical Resonance and Radio Controversy.

My favorite still is Psychotic Supper,  just love it to death and no, there are no stinkers, only some tracks with a little less greatness. Bust A Nut is also great as are Mechanical Resonance and Radio Controversy. Though the last two sound a bit dated because of the 80s production. Into the Now was a good return to form, the cover discs are good for what they are and even Forever More wasn't that bad. But I wonder why they don't put out albums anymore.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:31:27 AM by Kwyjibo »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 05:25:53 AM »
TGRC is actually my least fave of the original four, but it does contain my favorite Tesla song, Paradise.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:41 AM »
TGRC is actually my least fave of the original four, but it does contain my favorite Tesla song, Paradise.

Jesus man, what the hell is wrong with you?!?!   :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »

I still love the album, don't get me wrong, I just like the other three better.  :)

I think Bust A Nut is way underrated.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:06 AM »

I still love the album, don't get me wrong, I just like the other three better.  :)

I think Bust A Nut is way underrated.

Yeah... I was disappointed in '94, but I recall listening to it a few years ago, and thinking it wasn't as bad as I remembered.  Guess I gotta give it another spin today!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »
Shine Away and Cry are two of my Top 5 Tesla tracks.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
We should probably call this the "Fogeys  for Tesla" thread.

:rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
We need a combination :tick: + :metal

EDIT:  Here we go.  Thanks, Zydar!  :jingleboy:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:28:07 AM by bosk1 »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
Seen Tesla twice, excellent both times.

And I must always tell about how JK is an amazing guy. First time I saw them was in 2004, and a group of 6 of us went to the show. 3 of the 6 had aftershow passes. So after the show they went downstairs and we went out to the parking lot. Now at this particular venue in Allentown the band buses typically wait on the far side of the parking lot during the shows. We didn't know it, but JK must have gone out to the bus, and ended up walking across the lot on his way back to the building. We stopped him and asked for a quick autograph, and I mentioned it was really nice to be able to catch him out here since our friends were inside at the aftershow. He introduced us to his wife and told us to follow them, and got us past security and into the aftershow. Through all of this he was very down to earth and friendly, and that truly is one of the in person super class acts from a musician I've had.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Nick, that's a great story.

We had a similar experience with Brian Wheat on Lansdowne Street before a show. Really cool ad down to earth.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
I LOVE their first 3 albums.  :metal

Don't really care for much of anything they did after that.

I think I'd have to say that "The Great Radio Controversy" is my favorite of theirs.  Solid album start to finish. 

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
What a great band Tesla is. Just some good old hard rock.  :metal

Bust A Nut is still probably my favorite, probably because that was the first one I listened to, then The Great Radio Controversy. Have never really vibed well with Mechanical Resonance though, don't know why. Forever More is a real solid record too. Every time I listen to it, I think "This is okay", but hours later the songs are all stuck in my head.

I'm not exactly sure how I found out about them, since by the time I started listening to that style of music, Tesla was well past their peak popularity but I am sure glad I found them.

Favorite songs:
Lazy Days, Crazy Nights
Party's Over
A Lot To Lose
Shine Away
Rubberband
Edison's Medicine
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »
Wow, back in the day Tesla was one of my favorite bands.  I agree with the consensus that The Great Radio Controversy was my favorite.  Solid, dependable American rock music.

I only saw them live once, after their hayday, opening up for Lynyrd Skynyrd.  There still put on a great show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 08:16:30 AM »
I have fond memories of playing tackle football with my buddies and cranking the first Tesla album.  No nonsense great rock tunes.  I loved them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
I picked up Mechanical Resonance after reading about Tesla in Hit Parader (or, possibly, Circus).  Great album.  I continued to pick up and enjoy their other albums up though Psychotic Supper, but Mechanical Resonance is still my favorite. 

Offline emtee

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
New single Taste My Pain is EXCELLENT!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
I've always had just a best of from Tesla, but I recently got their first three releases.  Wow, these are major ass kickers; especially Great Radio Controversy.