Author Topic: Pope gives indulgences via Twitter  (Read 716 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Pope gives indulgences via Twitter
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
https://mashable.com/2013/07/16/pope-forgive-sins-twitter/

What a bizarre idea. It's also interesting how they willingly bend their theology into submission in order to reach more people that way.
Interesting question also, what about recordings of the event? Can you watch a video of JP II in the 70s and get your sins absolved?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Ben_Jamin

Re: Pope gives indulgences via Twitter
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:05:51 PM »
Is it really the pope twittering or did his men do it for him? That's what I question. Shit, the pope said Atheists go to heaven yet his men declared him a nut old guy whom is just old....haha, this pope is grear yet his own men aren't being faithful.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
It's also interesting how they willingly bend their theology into submission in order to reach more people that way.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by bending their theological beliefs (as I'm not familiar with any Christian tenet that would explicitly prohibit this kind of thing), but I do see your broader point. This is a move that is clearly meant to, whether you interpret the actions of the Church cynically or not, enable the Vatican to reach a much larger number of people than ever before. Personally, I am very distrustful of religious organizations especially like the Vatican, so I'm inclined to interpret this cynically and say that it's a ploy to keep the religion alive (one central tenet for the success of a religion is that it turns more people to the faith than people leave it, or at least maintain a balance) and create a fresh image to appeal to those who previously saw the Vatican as a stuffy secretive palace full of rich, unrelatable power mongers. Not that Christianity or Catholicism needs any desperate help to stay alive, but this is just regular maintenance, especially for their own authority which is more fragile than the religion itself, and they know it. Human organizations like this care very much about their own power, so people being Catholic or Christian with no acknowledgement of the Vatican is not in their interests.

Still, interesting. This new regime is trying to move with the times. Again, personally I would prefer it didn't, but this seems like a smart move for them, even though many may react as cheapening papal experience.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:14:20 PM »
https://mashable.com/2013/07/16/pope-forgive-sins-twitter/

What a bizarre idea. It's also interesting how they willingly bend their theology into submission in order to reach more people that way.
Interesting question also, what about recordings of the event? Can you watch a video of JP II in the 70s and get your sins absolved?

Your question reminds me of someone asking whether it is considered sacrilege for Muslims to delete scripture passages from their hard drives since one can argue it amounts to defamation of the word of god.

Offline Frank

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
That reminds me of that one time YouTuber thunderf00t encouraged people to download 100 copies of the Qur'an and then delete it. Normally I agree with thunderf00t on a lot of issues but that just struck me as juvenile, the idea of downloading something just to delete it.

The idea of it being sacrilege to delete already existing passages isn't as bad, but it still strikes me as somewhat silly to argue that deleting something is exactly equal to defamation. I would understand putting the text in a Word file and replacing passages with crude humor to be defamation, on the other hand. I don't know, man. I just can't get into these sorts of mindsets.

At this point with all of these digital influences in our modern world people are going to have to reinterpret holy scripture of many religions in an attempt to place it in a modern context. Some of it is going to feel like a stretch and some of it will feel natural. But the bottom line is that all of these texts and rules were written without human foresight into the workings of our modern societies, so the further we go into the future, the more and more reinterpretation that is going to happen until nobody will be quite satisfied with the status quo, if we're not practically there already.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess