Author Topic: Elite's Top X DT Songs v2: Top 20 LEAST favourite DT songs (Finished!)  (Read 23019 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Elite's Top X DT Songs v2: Top 20 LEAST favourite DT songs (and why)!
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
As for the cunt of tuscany
Intentional?  :biggrin:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »
The Cunt of Tuscany from the album Black Cocks & Silver Lingerie :zydar:

Offline Ruba

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 02:22:10 PM »
I love Never Enough. A top 20 song for me.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:08 PM »
Shock for TCOT! I love the lyrics  :eek
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
\o

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »
Never Enough isn't terrible, but I don't really like it. Love TCOT though.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
I never got why Never Enough is so hated. I listen to a lot of Muse, and I don't think it sounds very similar at all. It's not any worse than any generic DT song, and it's got really cool chords, killer drumming, and an awesome unison. With that said, it's probably not even in my upper half of DT songs, but it's by no means a bad song.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:23 PM »
I never got why Never Enough is so hated. I listen to a lot of Muse, and I don't think it sounds very similar at all. It's not any worse than any generic DT song, and it's got really cool chords, killer drumming, and an awesome unison. With that said, it's probably not even in my upper half of DT songs, but it's by no means a bad song.

There's a such thing?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »

There's a such thing?

I'd say that Never Enough, Panic Attack, Forsaken, These Walls, maybe 6:00, etc. are all paint-by-numbers, generic DT songs. Not that they're bad songs at all, but they all feel like they fit the same general feel, style, structure, etc. Every band has a basic template they follow when they're not breaking new ground.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
6:00 ???

Offline Lucien

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »
These Walls  ???

:justshootme: :marriageanalogy: :hung:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »
:hung:

Marvelous! I didn't have that one.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
Alright, well, it's all objective anyways.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2013, 01:41:03 AM »
Yes, yes it is. Though your list of 'generic' DT songs is quite alright, I have no clue what 6:00 is doing there; that's by no means 'generic'. The other 4 follow roughly the same structure and it's interesting to note that they come from only two albums. I think it's pretty safe to say though that there isn't really such a thing as a 'generic' Dream Theater song. Perhaps someone should analyse every song of them to see if they can find some blatant similarities in terms of structure...
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 03:31:03 AM »
*flameshield on* good call with TCoT. Although it's not one of my least fave songs, I haven't heard it in a forever and I have no strong feelings for it. I think it's the only song on BCSL with no "problematic" parts but that's not really an accomplishment. I also think it's a teensy bit more loved (at least by the part of the fanbase that was there for the release of BCSL, which is to say the majority of us) because it's one of the songs that keeps the more lighthearted, light-sounding spirit of some earlier DT albums and comes after an album full of noodling and problematic decisions, which makes it look better in comparison.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »
I'm slowly hating myself for this thread, because of me bashing the songs, but since there's still 14 to go, I figured I would continue it anyway.

14. Take Away My Pain

Placing this so low really makes me feel bad. I completely understand the meaning and purpose of this song and it's actually a wonderful song to dedicate to anyone's late father. What goes wrong here for me is not the song itself; I really like listening to it any time I play Falling Into Infinity, but it doesn't do much more than that for. There's never a moment where I'll think 'let's listen to Take Away My Pain' and however good this song may be (because, let's face, this song is far from Dream Theater's 'worst' and anyone who thinks otherwise is weird), if it doesn't get enough airtime, there's not a chance that it's going to end up being a favourite. Although there's music out there that I don't listen to often that I consider to be among my favourite music ever, the enjoyment of listening to it whenever I do far exceeds the enjoyment of any listen to Take Away My Pain. I'm sorry, John Petrucci, because I'm sure this song means a lot to you and I completely respect and understand that. It's an absolute fine song, by any means, but it's just not for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
Nah, you haven't been bashing the songs, at least yet.

I'm in the same boat with you regarding TAMPon, although it wouldn't be that close to the bottom in my list, and The Best of Times falls into the same category IMO: beautiful songs that probably mean a lot to their lyricists, but don't do much to me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2013, 01:50:15 PM »
Nah, you haven't been bashing the songs, at least yet.

No, I suppose so, although I have been quite negative about some of the songs I've mentioned already. Part of me really wants to bash the shit out of some stuff and the other part of me thinks 'well, somebody took time to create this and there's others around here that probably *do* like it. I wouldn't want anybody critisising my band's music in any harsh way either'. I guess that's also why some people tend to only write good reviews for stuff and leave other things that leave them cold untouched. It's quite a challenge really, not in the least trying to rank the songs you dislike.
Squ

Online Dream Team

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
What do you think of the Once in a Livetime version?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »
Take Away My Pain deserves that spot. Everything you said about it is true, in my experience. Not a bad song by any means, but nowhere near the first song I put on if I'm looking for a quick fix of DT, or even a quick fix of ballady DT.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »
What do you think of the Once in a Livetime version?

I must say I never really actively listened to that one. I don't really do live albums, but I just had a listen and the saxophone is a really nice touch there, but other than that I feel pretty much the same towards the song.
Squ

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
Pretty much agree with everything said here. I certainly don't hate TAMP, but it's like if it never existed nothing would be different. It's just there...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
Yeah, I agree with everyone else. It's not a bad song, it's just that most of the songs DT has done are better.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2013, 03:03:37 AM »
I love that song  :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
13. Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity

This is going to get at least one member here freaked out (oh, hai there, The Great Pretender! :biggrin: ), but probably more. Let me go ahead and say this first: I love playing this 'song' on my guitar. It's lots of fun, I can pretty much play it all the way through, except for that fast section at the end of the guitar solo - and no! this is not the most difficult Dream Theater song to play at all. At least not on guitar, not in the slightest. Once you get the patterns down, it's actually very doable. And that leads me to my point; it seems that The Dance of Eternity only gets so much praise because it's a difficult piece. Yes, it probably does have the most time signature changes in any DT song and it sounds difficult when you listen to it, but in reality, it's not really. Well, it is, to an extent and that makes it a fun song to play as well, but my point being; it's not simply good because it's difficult in structure or difficult to play. In fact, contrasting my joy of playing this song, I find absolutely no joy in actively listening to this track at all. First of all, the guitar sounds muddy, but that shouldn't really be a reason for it to be here. No, I can't help but feel that Dream Theater just tried their best to create their most 'proggy' song to date here with this track, and in that, they succeeded, I won't deny that, but at the cost of something that remains nice to listen to. At times I feel like this is just difficult for the sake of being difficult, without taking into account what it sounds like. So while this may be musically brilliant to some extent, I much prefer listening to something that actually goes somewhere, instead of mindless wankery through odd time-signatures. This 'song' doesn't really have a climax, for me at least, and that makes the instrumental craziness all the more futile. I appreciate the effort of creating this tune, but as something to listen to, I think this is their worst instrumental piece, by a pretty large margin.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:33:54 PM by Elite »
Squ

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2013, 04:58:30 PM »
Out of curiosity, which DT songs do you think are the hardest?

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »
I agree with this placement. I feel like TDOE is just DT trying to make the most complicated song they can, but in doing so they sacrifice all the stuff I like most about them.

Offline 425

« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
I agree with this placement. I feel like TDOE is just DT trying to make the most complicated song they can, but in doing so they sacrifice all the stuff I like most about them.

Pretty much exactly this. Except to add that the ragtime part is an awesome spontaneous diversion and I love that part. But certainly this isn't one of their best and I would probably place it similarly to you.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2013, 06:33:08 PM »
Out of curiosity, which DT songs do you think are the hardest?

I don't know, I'm not a good enough guitarist to actually play all of JP's solos, but both The Glass Prison and the Blind Faith unison are up there.
Squ

Offline Lucien

« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
Stream of Consciousness solo...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »
I found TDOE cool at first, but the feeling wore off pretty quickly. I don't dislike it, but I never have the desire to listen to it, either.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2013, 02:39:11 AM »
Bless you.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:55 AM »
Yes, I too used to think TDOE was the coolest song ever, but the excitement wore off in less than a year. The song is still a masterful example of odd-time signature usage and progressive metal wankery. That's about it. A cool song to listen to once in a while, but no more than that.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2013, 04:27:12 AM »
Stream of Consciousness solo...

There's a difference between very fast solos and actually difficult solos. In a lot of JP's faster solos he uses the same sort of mechanics, so once you get them down, they're actually pretty easy to play on a lower speed (I'm not really a shredder..), but some stuff is just downright HARD on lower tempos as well (The Glass Prison into, Blind Faith unison, for example).

I found TDOE cool at first, but the feeling wore off pretty quickly. I don't dislike it, but I never have the desire to listen to it, either.
Yes, I too used to think TDOE was the coolest song ever, but the excitement wore off in less than a year. The song is still a masterful example of odd-time signature usage and progressive metal wankery. That's about it. A cool song to listen to once in a while, but no more than that.

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. Just the lack of replay value mainly, that made it end op here.

Bless you.

Huh? :lol
Squ