Author Topic: KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!! (Number 1!!!!)  (Read 27986 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!! (26-24 currently featured)
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
23. Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment (1998)

Back in the late 90s, I used to get the DT fan club magazine four times a year, and I remember one issue having a review of a new record John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy were a part of called Liquid Tension Experiment.  Being that I was anxious to get my hands on anything DT-related at the time, as well as being a big fan of blind purchases, I figured, what the hell, and ordered it online right away.  And when I got it, I was like :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek.  I couldn't believe how awesome it was.  It was like all-instrumental DT on steroids.  And yet despite the dazzling technical prowess that was being flashed everywhere, there were still enough great melodies and hooks to grab me.  This was my main workout CD for quite a long stretch in later 1998/1999.

Favorite songs: Freedom of Speech, Universal Mind, Osmosis, Kindred Spirits and Three Minute Warning

22. Camel - Moonmadness (1976)

Camel is by far the most underrated awesome prog band that came out of the 70s.  A lot of hardcore prog fans know and love them, but many are still completely oblivious to them, and that is a damn shame.  They have a sound that, despite having some obvious influences, is clearly their own, led as always by the dazzling guitar-playing of Andrew Latimer.  Moonmadness and Mirage usually run neck-and-neck for what is my favorite Camel CD; this week Moonmadness is the one I prefer, hence its placement at number 22.

Favorite songs: Air Born, Another Night, Lunar Sea and Song Within a Song

21. The Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)

One of the founding fathers of prog rock, the Moodies have been a longtime favorite of mine.  They were the 3rd classic rock band I fell hard for (after Boston and Pink Floyd), and they remain a favorite to this day.  And while those first seven records are all great, In Search of the Lost Chord stands out to me as not only the definite best of the bunch, but also one of the best rock records ever.  Plus, they get mad points for being THE band that popularized the mellotron, credit of course going to Mike Pinder.

Favorite songs: Legend of a Mind, Ride My See-Saw, Visions of Paradise, House of Four Doors and The Actor

Offline Mladen

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
Moonmadness  :heart

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:27 AM »
Always been a greatest hits fan of the Moody's, but never dove into their discog.  Guess that'll change and I'll fire this one up.  Camel... never listened to them.

As for LTE, they have their moments, but there's some tracks that just don't click for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:24 AM »
23. Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment (1998)

Back in the late 90s, I used to get the DT fan club magazine four times a year, and I remember one issue having a review of a new record John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy were a part of called Liquid Tension Experiment.  Being that I was anxious to get my hands on anything DT-related at the time, as well as being a big fan of blind purchases, I figured, what the hell, and ordered it online right away.  And when I got it, I was like :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek.  I couldn't believe how awesome it was.  It was like all-instrumental DT on steroids.  And yet despite the dazzling technical prowess that was being flashed everywhere, there were still enough great melodies and hooks to grab me.  This was my main workout CD for quite a long stretch in later 1998/1999.

I would never have heard of Dream Theater were it not for Liquid Tension Experiment.  A friend shared this CD with me and WOW!!!   :o  LOVED IT!!!   :metal  That led me to investigating the individual members...and all was revealed.    :hefdaddy
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »
I've been meaning to check out both Camel and the Moody Blues. I guess these albums are as good a place to start as any. And yes, LTE is a great workout album.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30:35 AM »
OMG I just discovered this thread. Fill me with your love, Kev  :heart :millahhhh
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
Moonmadness is awesome. I still prefer Mirage and the self titled though.

Offline adace

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
Love all three of those albums :heart

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »
Moonmadness  :heart

Sums it up for me. Like the other two but Moonmadness is fantastic.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2013, 04:20:30 PM »
I love half of the LTE albums- the composed half. Not a fan of the more jam-my stuff but the more structured tracks are  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I really like Camel, after seeing then on a tv concert in the 80s. I didn't know who they were, wasn't even sure it particularly rocked but I loved it enough to track down the album of the gig (Pressure Points). Played Rajaz earlier today, but my fave is Nude.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
Glad to see some are gonna check out Camel and The Moodies as a result of this thread. :)

OMG I just discovered this thread. Fill me with your love, Kev  :heart :millahhhh

Grab your ankles, buddy. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »
I love half of the LTE albums- the composed half. Not a fan of the more jam-my stuff but the more structured tracks are  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Exactly how I feel.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
So I really enjoyed that Moody Blues album (will definitely give it another try later), but after one measly listen I was even more impressed with Days of Future Passed  :heart

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »
I'm a bit late on this one, but I'm surprised to see you listed Death Cab's album Plans here. It's an awesome album  :tup Couldn't listen to it for the longest time because it reminded me of an ex GF  :lol But I revisited it recently and it is a magical album.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:47 PM »
Yes, that's a beautiful album. I will follow you into the dark  :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2013, 09:05:25 AM »
So I really enjoyed that Moody Blues album (will definitely give it another try later), but after one measly listen I was even more impressed with Days of Future Passed  :heart

A lot of people do think Days... is better, but I always disagree.  In fact, of those seven albums they did, Days... is probably only my fourth or fifth favorite.

I'm a bit late on this one, but I'm surprised to see you listed Death Cab's album Plans here. It's an awesome album  :tup Couldn't listen to it for the longest time because it reminded me of an ex GF  :lol But I revisited it recently and it is a magical album.

Yep, it is great.  The Death Cab thread isn't visited very often, so it is easy to forget who here is a fan. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
20. Muse - Black Holes & Revelations (2006)

This came out literally as I was getting into Muse, so this became part of my getting into Muse process, and it kicked my ass from start to finish.  And is still does.  I love every song on this record.  I still think Muse has a better album in them somewhere, which I can only hope we get at some point, but if they never top this, there'll be no shame in that, considering how great this record is.

Favorite songs: Map of the Problematique, Take a Bow, Knights of Cydonia, City of Delusion and Invincible

19. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

LZ has a handful of records that are all so great that strong arguments can be made for them all, in regards to what is the best, so I am going with personal choice of II here.  There are days where I think Houses of the Holy is better, but while that album has a dude (The Crunge), II is great from start to finish, with every track being a winner. 

Favorite songs: What Is and What Should Never Be, The Lemon Song, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker and Ramble On

18. Styx - Pieces of Eight

i got this CD from my brother Tim on the day I graduated from high school in June of 1991.  I already knew and loved The Grand Illusion, and then Tim gave me this CD while also telling me, "This is better than The Grand Illusion!"  And I think he was right.  This is another case of I could really go either way when asked which album I now prefer, but Pieces of Eight has more nostalgic value for me, and since the albums are pretty equal, that gives it the very slight nod.

Favorite songs: Pieces of Eight, Queen of Spades, Renegade, Great White Hope and I'm O.K.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!! (20-18 currently featured)
« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Not really a Muse fan here.

LZ II... can't go wrong there.  If not for the two 'dudes' in "The Crunge" and "D'yer Mak'er" HotH would be a top album for me too.  II came in at #16 on my list.

Pieces of 8... solid.  Rock fucking solid.  Prolly my fave Styx album.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
I've been wanting to pick up LZ II.  I like a lot of the tunes on it, particularly "What Is and What Should Never Be".  It has a deeper meaning to me...   :(

Thanks Kev, for your sharing your fine taste!    :hat
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »
Amazing thing you included Muse. The Origin of Symmetry/Absolution/Black Holes triad is just otherwordly.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
Knights of Cydonia  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2013, 09:57:16 AM »
Love Pieces Of Eight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2013, 09:59:11 AM »
Holy shit, I just realized Absolution was released 10 years ago.

Years have passed us with no warnings.  :millahhhh
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »
Holy shit, I just realized Absolution was released 10 years ago.

Woah. :eek

LZ II... can't go wrong there.  If not for the two 'dudes' in "The Crunge" and "D'yer Mak'er" HotH would be a top album for me too.  II came in at #16 on my list.

I adore D'yer Mak'er. :shrug

Thanks Kev, for your sharing your fine taste!    :hat

No problemo.  I am just happy some are checking out some great music they hadn't heard yet!  :tup :tup

Amazing thing you included Muse. The Origin of Symmetry/Absolution/Black Holes triad is just otherwordly.

Pretty much, yes.  I hope that one day they re-release them with them sounding better.  Albums that good deserve to sound a lot better.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
Let's see, a good to great Muse album, a great Zeppelin album, and the best album Styx ever did. Good choices all.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
The next update will be a good one, as it will have an album each from the 70s, 80s and 90s!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
But will the 80s album cause a story from me?

THE SUSPENSE.  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
Well, it's not gonna be Europe...:lol :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
I'd worry if Europe was this high on a top 50 list.  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Classic LZ!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »
Not my favorite Zeppelin and Muse albums, but still good stuff.  :metal

The Crunge is amazing, by the way.  :hefdaddy

Offline Ruba

« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
Muse is one of the bands I should check out, sooner or later.

Knights of Cydonia  :metal

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
Been a really solid list so far, you have a great taste in music, man  :tup I'm looking forward to seeing your top 10.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
Been a really solid list so far, you have a great taste in music, man  :tup I'm looking forward to seeing your top 10.
It's a good list, it just needs more cowbell!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2013, 06:42:03 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

:cow: