Author Topic: KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!! (Number 1!!!!)  (Read 27744 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!! (Number 1!!!!)
« on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
Time for my top 50 albums list, and like some others have done, I will be featuring only one each per band/solo artist, that way, it isn't a flurry of albums by mostly my favorites, with a few handfuls of albums by others.  50 different artists (although some might argue that there are duplicates, since certain songwriters might see an album by the band they are in and an album they did as a solo artist). 

This top 50 will be based on not only greatness, but also how much influence the album had on me as a music fan.  In certain cases, I might not even necessarily list what I think is the best album by that artist, but maybe the album listed will be the one that had more influence on me during a certain time of my life or got me into the band or some other circumstance.  I do know that, even going with only one per artist, it was still tough to get it down to 50. 

On that note, away we go:

50. Steely Dan - Aja (1977)

Ah, the summer of 1992.  I knew several Steely Dan songs at this point, but they were the ones that were (what I viewed as) straight classic rock: Do It Again and Reeling in the Years.  Then in June of 1992, my cousin Dan introduced me to this album, which completely caught me off guard, as it more laid back jazz rock than the classic rock I knew by them already.  It was unlike anything I knew or liked, but I loved it right away.  It didn't take long for me to buy my own copy of it on CD, and it has gotten a lot of play over the years.  I can still listen to it and be amazed.

Favorite songs: Aja, Deacon Blues, Black Cow and Josie

49. Sigur Rós - ( ) (2002)

This was the album that really got me to love any post rock in the mid 00s, which I largely credit to Ray/Vintage Eyes, who doesn't post here anymore, but he used to post on the old dt.net a lot, and we had frequent AIM chats, and I have him to thank for my love of just about anything called post rock.  This album was the one that really made me realize how awesome the genre could be. 

Favorite songs: Popplagið (Untitled 8), Samskeyti (Untitled 3), E-bow (Untitled 6) and Njósnavélin (Untitled 4)

48. Van Halen - Van Halen (1978)

I didn't hear this whole album until years after first hearing the band in 1984, but there is no doubt that this is the best thing they have ever done.  It has an energy, feel and power that is just absolute money.  I still wonder what it was like for fans who heard this when it was first released in 1978...

Favorite songs: Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Runnin' with the Devil, Atomic Punk, Little Dreamer and I'm the One
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:06:43 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
Aja rocks balls and grooves like mad. Nice.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »
Very excited to follow your list! 3 great albums to get it started
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »
Following, should be interesting!

Not a bad start at all. Not really a fan of Van Halen, but Sigur Ros are great and () is wonderful, and Steely Dan I've enjoyed most of what I've heard by. Never really got into them in a big way, but I think I'll check out Aja as I've never heard that one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »
Fun fact about Steely Dan: their original drummer was Chevy Chase.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
Not a fan of any of these albums, but I'm still following this, I'm sure there's great stuff to come.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
Love Steely Dan!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »
That debut album by Van Halen is actually the only Van Halen album I like.  Killer songs from start to finish and dat guitar tone  :eek

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 02:28:42 PM »
That Sigur Ros album is on my to listen list, I haven't heard the rest either.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
Aja is a masterpiece and the title track is to die for.   That drum break late in the song is just killer.

What can you says about an album that had almost every song played on the radio.  The first VH album is a classic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
I love and own all three of these albums.  :biggrin:

But will a longer lived Kev thread create any stories from me? STAY TUNED.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
I am counting on it. :lol :lol

Good to see much love for the Aja pick. :coolio

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
Aja is an excellent album. Van Halen's debut is good, even though I rarely listen to it anymore (I kind of burned out on VH in general).

I love ( ).

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
Some nice choices to start this off. Definitely following ;)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 06:22:33 PM »
Following and shit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
A guy called Dan introduced you to Steely Dan? :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
surprisingly, this is the first mention of Aja (or Steely Dan, for that matter) in any top 50 list.

Hey Kev, would you mind put the year of release for each entry going forward?  You don't have to go back and do these.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 09:17:24 PM »
Will do, and did. :biggrin:

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »
Fun fact about Steely Dan: their original drummer was Chevy Chase.

Really?

And another  :tup for Aja. The title track is my favorite Steely Dan song.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline sueño

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »
This forum is gonna make me spend ALL my money!  But I love it.  I have Aja singles but it looks like I need the album,  now.  Amazon has an Aja DVD I think I'll pick up, as well.

Cheers for the reccos, guys.  Nothing better than finding great music!   :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »
Wow the Steely Dan and VH selections right off the bat.... great, great, great albums.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
This forum is gonna make me spend ALL my money! 
Welcome to the board :D

Offline sueño

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
 :lol  thanks!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »
First Van Halen would still probably be my favorite debut album of all time. Hard to find something more explosive.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »
This forum needs more Steely Dan. Aja is just great.

Same goes for Van Halen  :metal :metal

Been always meaning to check out Sigur Ros but so far I haven't, maybe some time later.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:03 AM »
Aja is really good but I prefer the debut. () is one of my 3 fav Sigur Ros albums. Oh and Van Halen's debut is actually pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »
VH is one of the best debuts of all time no question!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:15 AM »
47. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (2011)

Often described as indie folk, this band sure knows how to write catchy tunes, and their overall sound almost sounds like music that would be playing in an old-fashioned, country restaurant, if that makes sense.  Anyway, the self-titled debut was really good, and their second album really took it to the next level, with every song being a winner.  My brother Mark and I saw them when they toured on this album, and if we weren't big fans already, seeing them solidified that.

Favorite songs: Helplessness Blues, The Plains/Bitter Dancer, Bedouin Dress, Lorelai and The Shrine/An Argument

46. Emerson Lake & Palmer - Emerson Lake & Palmer (1970)

Like VH, ELP had a fantastic debut, one they never really topped.  I got into the band through Black Moon and the Atlantic Years 2-disc compilation, and Take a Pebble and Tank were two of my favorites as far as the non-hits went, and once I got the first four albums on CD, and heard The Barbarian and The Three Fates, there was little doubt as to what their best record was.

Favorite songs: Take a Pebble, Tank, Lucky Man and Knife-Edge

45. Extreme - III Sides to Every Story (1992)

I can thank my brother Mark for loving this album.  I never would have thought to buy this on CD, despite liking the two songs played on the radio, but he got it and played it to death, and I heard it so much that I started loving pretty much all of it (save for Politicalamity, which I still am not wild about).  I love the three different sides the album throws at you: the rocking side in Yours, the more laid-back, melodic side in Mine and the epic side in The Truth.  Listening to this album is one helluva journey!

Favorite songs: Rise 'N Shine, Peacemaker Die, Am I Ever Gonna Change, Seven Sundays and Tragic Comic

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: KevShmev's Top 50 Albums!!!! (47-45 currently featured)
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:45 AM »
III Sides is a great one.  Marked the end of decent Extreme music.  Nuno is so under-rated.  Great way to describe it... it certainly is a 'journey' to digest the whole thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
VH is one of the best debuts of all time no question!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
III Sides is a great one.  Marked the end of decent Extreme music.  Nuno is so under-rated.  Great way to describe it... it certainly is a 'journey' to digest the whole thing.

I thought that Waiting For The Punchline was a seriously great record, but I think I'm almost alone with that opinion.

Anyway III Sides just rocks and "Am I Ever Gonna Change" might be one of the best rock tunes ever written.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
I never really liked the ELP debut. Too noisy, not melodic enough. That Fleet foxes album, on the other hand, was recommended to me by quite a few friends of mine, so I better check it out.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 11:04:27 AM »
ELP is a great album. Very dark, very energetic.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
Fleet Foxes are pretty good. Haven't listened to them all that much, but my brother listens to them a good amount, and I like what I've heard. I'm also a fan of Father John Misty who was in the band for a few years, so, I really have no reason not to check them out.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.