Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 254664 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3500 on: September 14, 2016, 05:33:49 AM »
Beyond has died a death at the Box Office - in the US in particular it's along way down on the previous two entries.

I think it's a very forgettable movie.  2 months on from seeing it and I'm struggling to remember much about it aside from a few key points.  Villains name... erm?  and his villainous plot...yeah...?     I actually ST2009 and Darkness - not a popular opinion I guess.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3501 on: September 14, 2016, 05:37:22 AM »
Quote from: soupytwist
   I actually ST2009 and Darkness - not a popular opinion I guess.

You actually the whole thing ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3502 on: September 14, 2016, 05:38:34 AM »
Beyond has been out just over a month and is on $320m worldwide.

ST09 was in the cinemas for 5 months before it made $385m

It has a Japanese opening in October. It will probably be ok when it's all totted up.

it's not a huge flop like Nemesis was - which cost $60m and made back $67m

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3503 on: September 14, 2016, 06:02:09 AM »
Quote from: soupytwist
   I actually ST2009 and Darkness - not a popular opinion I guess.

You actually the whole thing ?

Yeah I'm the whole Star Trek Kelvin Universe - you should see our version of TNG.  Here's a little taster - Ryker starts with a beard!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3504 on: September 14, 2016, 06:06:46 AM »
:getoffmylawn: ABRAAAAAAAAAAAMS !!!!!!

IN truth - i think it sucks that Beyond isn't doing very well. I thought it would be the most profitable. It's by far the best of the Kelvin Universe movies.

By far.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3505 on: September 14, 2016, 06:11:53 AM »
And with Beyond doing worse, they'll think that they're better / more profitable with Abrams' involvement, and probably push back even harder with mindless action and non-sensical plot. Hooray!
I'm not really surprised that the slightly more Trekky movie has done worse. The new fans they've gained are not Trek fans.

On a related note, maybe it's time to update the sig, Kotowboy. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3506 on: September 14, 2016, 06:20:29 AM »
Best does not equate to box office.

Never mind what Chino says :chino:

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3507 on: September 14, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
And with Beyond doing worse, they'll think that they're better / more profitable with Abrams' involvement, and probably push back even harder with mindless action and non-sensical plot. Hooray!
I'm not really surprised that the slightly more Trekky movie has done worse. The new fans they've gained are not Trek fans.

I think Beyond had the same amount of mindless action as the other two and barely had a plot to be non-sensical with (and yet it still managed to make no sense).   I don't think there is anything remotely more Trekky about it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3508 on: September 14, 2016, 06:23:20 AM »
It's vastly more Trekky than the last one.

I'm hoping that Paramount will green light a 4th movie but will reduce the budget to like $100m so they don't have to focus on action and stunts to make their money back.

If it's true what JJ said that Chris Hemsworth will return as George Kirk - there may not be a revenge plot for once.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3509 on: September 14, 2016, 06:31:27 AM »

I think Beyond had the same amount of mindless action as the other two and barely had a plot to be non-sensical with (and yet it still managed to make no sense).   I don't think there is anything remotely more Trekky about it.

It was a lot more Trekky. There was a lot more canon woven in there and many subtle nods that would go right over the average person's head, use of the technology that much more consistent with existing canon instead of making up random shit like transwarp beaming only for the sake of keeping the weak plot moving without any real thought, and it captured more of the dynamic between the characters that was either lacking or incredibly contrived and not earned in the previous movies, and more of the Trek principles were included.

Yeah, it still had some stupid mindless action shit, like killing the hive ships, but the previous movies had a lot more mindless stuff happening only for the sake of eye candy, and their plots made a hell of a lot less sense. Not a single thing about Into Darkness made sense at all. At. All. The plot of Beyond held together quite well overall, with my only major criticism being the weak motivation and lacking backstory of the main antagonist, but that's par for the course for the Trek reboots. Nero is perhaps the weakest villian of any Trek movie, and reboot Khan was a huge a spit in the face to the franchise.

Don't get me wrong, none of these movies are without their faults, but it's still no comparison imo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: September 14, 2016, 06:38:04 AM »
Yeah In Beyond there's no Cadet Kirk being bumped up to first officer or 300 year old Khan designing

Futuristic starships.

Nothing that made you go :/ what ??

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3511 on: September 14, 2016, 07:10:49 AM »
Yeah In Beyond there's no Cadet Kirk being bumped up to first officer or 300 year old Khan designing

Futuristic starships.

The Beastie Boys.
Jump Starting a Starship.
Those little dog aliens.
Scottys companion sneezing acid to unlock a door panel.
The Ship flip.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3512 on: September 14, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »
Yeah In Beyond there's no Cadet Kirk being bumped up to first officer

I've downloaded Star trek Online for PS4 as it's free. I'm Captain Oakes of the USS Kotow.

What happened at the end of your first mission?  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3513 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »

Futuristic starships.

The Beastie Boys.
Those little dog aliens.
The Ship flip.

You know this is based on STAR TREK the original series ?

That series is DUMB.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3514 on: September 14, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »

Futuristic starships.

The Beastie Boys.
Those little dog aliens.
The Ship flip.

You know this is based on STAR TREK the original series ?

That series is DUMB.

Yeah that's kindoff my point.  There is nothing really all that different between the 3 new movies, in my opinion nothing more Trekky about Beyond - they all are action movies with some plot issues!   Star Trek at it's best has an emotional core, something to invest in - these movies haven't captured this at all, yet.   I guess I'm more disapointed with Beyond because Pegg was making all the right noises in interviews about how this was more Trekky - yet it's just more of the same.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3515 on: September 14, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
Last night I caught "Ethics" and "Cause and Effect".  Good stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3516 on: September 14, 2016, 10:27:31 AM »
Is Cause & Effect the one with the Reliant looking ship that gets stuck in that time loop captained by Frasier Crane ?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3517 on: September 14, 2016, 10:37:33 AM »
Is Cause & Effect the one with the Reliant looking ship that gets stuck in that time loop captained by Frasier Crane ?
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3518 on: September 14, 2016, 11:01:34 AM »
Wasn't Ethics the one where Worf broke his back and sadly didn't die? If it's what I'm thinking of, I almost always avoid episodes that feature Alexander in more than a cameo role.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3519 on: September 14, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
Kids in Star Trek that were more annoying than Wes Crusher in no particular order :

1. Alexander Roshenko

2. Nog

3. Jake Sisko

4. Any time a kid was a main cast member in an episode. Not least that RoboCop 2 kid one who wanted to be an android. - i'm thinking especially of that horrifically irritating Maquis kid

who tried to kill Chakotay. Played by the same actor as Nog and played him the exact same.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3520 on: September 14, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
I don't have such a problem with Nog and Jake. Yes, they started off annoying, as kids are, but unlike most other kids, they were given actual developmental arcs. They didn't just find some magic ability to experience math transdimensionally or whatever, they had actual growth and development. Where they both ended up was incredible from where they started.

Alexander on the other hand.....ugh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3521 on: September 14, 2016, 11:08:48 AM »
I don't have such a problem with Nog and Jake. Yes, they started off annoying, as kids are, but unlike most other kids, they were given actual developmental arcs. They didn't just find some magic ability to experience math transdimensionally or whatever, they had actual growth and development. Where they both ended up was incredible from where they started.

Alexander on the other hand.....ugh.

Yep. I never had a problem with Jake. Nog was occasionally annoying, but his character grew, and he had some good episodes too. Worf's kid was painful though, even in DS9.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3522 on: September 14, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »
Wasn't the actor who played Alexander really fucked in in real life after Star Trek ?

Typical story - arrested for all sorts of stuff kinda thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3523 on: September 14, 2016, 11:23:33 AM »
Like four different kids played Alexander, and one of them is a career felon.

I liked Nog. Even when he was a young dipshit he was alright. And his development was very good.

The only thing that annoyed me about Nog was a typical ST phenomenon, where all principle cast members go on to become a captain. Captain LaForge. Captain Kim. Captain Crusher. Captain Nog was what kept The Visitor from being a perfect episode. Who knows, it's entirely possible that he was destined to be the next Picard, but based on what we knew about him it seemed silly and contrived.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3524 on: September 14, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »
He already had the bald head down.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3525 on: September 14, 2016, 11:27:57 AM »
Like four different kids played Alexander, and one of them is a career felon.

I liked Nog. Even when he was a young dipshit he was alright. And his development was very good.

The only thing that annoyed me about Nog was a typical ST phenomenon, where all principle cast members go on to become a captain. Captain LaForge. Captain Kim. Captain Crusher. Captain Nog was what kept The Visitor from being a perfect episode. Who knows, it's entirely possible that he was destined to be the next Picard, but based on what we knew about him it seemed silly and contrived.

See I always interpreted that as a subtle way of telling the audience what happened to the federation.

They go to war with Dominion (or someone else after) and without Hawk, they get completely decimated. Eventually they kind of win, but have suffered SUCH losses, that the they lost basically all of their good leaders/captains. But they need people to captain ships, and Nog was literally one of few people who was able to do so...kind of.... So making Nog a captain was their way of showing that the federation had essentially been decimated.

Great story welling.  :xbones
fanticide.bandcamp.com