Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 255755 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3465 on: September 08, 2016, 02:15:09 PM »
You know what I don't hate? Star Trek.

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea when we'll get some news on that new show? They really seem to be taking their time with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3466 on: September 08, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
" Tinker , Tenor, Doctor, Spy "

:rollin What an episode. Hilarious intro.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3467 on: September 08, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
You know what I don't hate? Star Trek.

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea when we'll get some news on that new show? They really seem to be taking their time with it.

They start shooting in September so news should trickle out.

Meanwhile check out

www.TrekCore.com and www.TrekMovie.com for more !

Offline Adami

« Reply #3468 on: September 08, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
Ohhhhh cool! Didn't know about those places.

Thanks!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3469 on: September 08, 2016, 03:27:06 PM »
Ah, 'The Man Trap'.  Not the first episode, but the first one aired.  I do remember its original telecast, the fact that my Mom let me watch it at such a tender age, and that we shared most of TOS shows together.  Our last Trek moment together was watching 'The Wrath of Khan' when it aired on ABC a few weeks before her passing.

I suddenly have a craving for something salty......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3470 on: September 08, 2016, 03:29:19 PM »
THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY !!!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3471 on: September 08, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
I saw some weird thing on Decades TV...best moments of all the Treks, Jason 'hosted' as Kirk with Spock and McCoy clones.  Watched about five minutes.  No idea when it was made.  Not the best by any means.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3472 on: September 08, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »
Off the top of my head I'd probably go with In the Pale Moonlight, but there are certainly rivals. I'm probably blurring the line between the best and my favorite. When I think of the best, all of them really show up in DS9. Duet, The Visitor (quite possibly the high-water mark), ItPM, and Rocks and Shoals.

For TOS, I always found The City on the Edge of Forever overrated, until one day I noticed how good an episode it really was. After that, maybe the Doomsday Machine.

All Good things gets bumped down out of contention in my book because of a previously unnoticed plot hole the size of delta quadrant. Of the TNG episodes, they come down to Picard-centric ones, and Tapestry rates pretty high for me.

A darkhourse contender would be Similitude. The only Enterprise episode that ranks with the greats. Probably falls short, though. Haven't seen it in ages.

VOY probably comes down to Blink of an Eye. Damn near a perfect episode.

All great choices.
The City on the Edge of Forever has always been my favourite TOS episode, as cliche a choice as it is. But I'm a sucker for time travel.
It's been too long since I've watched all of TNG to choose a favourite.
For DS9, I'd have to agree with In the Pale Moonlight or The Visitor.
Blink of an Eye is definitely one of my absolute favourites from Voyager, although Timeless and Year of Hell would probably nudge it out for me.
For Enterprise, Similitude probably wins. It's one of the few Enterprise episodes with some emotion to it. The only other real contenders for me would be maybe E^2 (again, time travel), and In a Mirror Darkly. Not a lot to contend with.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3473 on: September 08, 2016, 10:50:15 PM »
I still hold that if they did a whole season of Year of Hell (which I believe was the original idea) it may have been the best season of any Trek.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3474 on: September 08, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
It would have been awesome, but I still love what we got with the double episode.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3475 on: September 09, 2016, 01:43:59 AM »
Just caught QPid on TV (The Robin Hood TNG episode).

You kind of wonder what the Hell Star Fleet command must think when this get the mission log from the Enterprise based on this episode.

Imagine some ensign telling some Admiral the various things that have happened to their crews during the week based off the mission logs....

USS Excalibur : Spent the week cataloguing gaseous anomalies.

USS Drake : Transferred medical supplies.

USS Enterprise : Got transported to Robin Hood world by a crazy God like alien, then crew got devolved into animals, then Sherlock Holmes mortal enemy Moriarty tried to take over the ship, yet again.   Oh and the ships Doctor got sexually assaulted by a candle.

USS Bradbury : Shore leave on Risa.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3476 on: September 09, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
I always thought the Voyager crew's debriefing upon their return would have been a hoot. It's 7 years of Enterprise type logs but all at once.

And then my mischievous godson turned engineering into a dance club.
Wait, you have a godson from the delta quadrant?
Yeah. He's a Q.
You're godmother to a Q?
Yeah. I set one up with his girlfriend at the battle of Gettysburg.
Pennsylvania?
I guess they thought it was better than a desolate rest stop.
I see. Moving right along.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3477 on: September 09, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
That's one of the big reasons that Endgame wasn't a satisfying ending for me. Besides of course the emotional moments reconnecting with their families, I really wanted to see Starfleet's reaction to some of this stuff.

Hey we're back, don't mind the Borg on board, she's with us. Yes, that's our EMH. He's mobile now thanks to a future holoemitter. Oops, just let me disable the ablative armour on this ship we also got from the future. Oh and please don't arrest the Maquis guys. They're my first officer and chief engineer.

Yeah, I know they had some contact to Starfleet with that communications array, but it's not the same.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3478 on: September 09, 2016, 09:23:45 AM »
That's one of the big reasons that Endgame wasn't a satisfying ending for me. Besides of course the emotional moments reconnecting with their families, I really wanted to see Starfleet's reaction to some of this stuff.

Hey we're back, don't mind the Borg on board, she's with us. Yes, that's our EMH. He's mobile now thanks to a future holoemitter. Oops, just let me disable the ablative armour on this ship we also got from the future. Oh and please don't arrest the Maquis guys. They're my first officer and chief engineer.

Yeah, I know they had some contact to Starfleet with that communications array, but it's not the same.
Yeah, that's where we disagree. That would have been another episode and perhaps another two parter. DS9 could do it because they'd been wrapping things up for the last 5 or so episodes. Really, the DS9 finale was Dogs of War and the first half of WYLB, with the second hour being the epilogue. I suppose VOY could have spent the last month setting up Endgame, thus leaving the second hour for what you suggest, but I actually liked the premise that they used. So I'm fine with what they did. If you can't show it properly, let the viewer do it on their own.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: September 09, 2016, 09:35:16 AM »

Yeah, that's where we disagree. That would have been another episode and perhaps another two parter. DS9 could do it because they'd been wrapping things up for the last 5 or so episodes. Really, the DS9 finale was Dogs of War and the first half of WYLB, with the second hour being the epilogue. I suppose VOY could have spent the last month setting up Endgame, thus leaving the second hour for what you suggest, but I actually liked the premise that they used. So I'm fine with what they did. If you can't show it properly, let the viewer do it on their own.

You're right, it would definitely have required more time to do, because Endgame was already pretty packed, and besides the issue of closure for the series, I think it worked very well as an episode as is. Great episode, just not a great finale for me. I really wanted that payoff after all they'd been through.
DS9 on the other hand finished off the series perfectly, better than any of the rest. I liked that it left so much time to wrap up everyone's individual arc. But that was a whole different animal.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3480 on: September 09, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »
And yet, another possibility is that 30 seconds after Janeway says "we're home" and the credits start to role, Captain Braxton shows up in the Relativity and says "nice try. A for effort, but sorry. No dice." and sends the right back to where they were two hours earlier.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3481 on: September 09, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »
Voyagers complete lack of wrap up in their episodes drives me barmy.

One episode I watched the other day was CRYING OUT for a wrap up or just ONE MORE SCENE.

But no - it was basically - that's that sorted out - CUT TO CREDITS.

I don't remember TNG ever doing a cut to credits once everything was sorted. There was pretty much ALWAYS a final scene after that.

EDIT : Imagine if Back To The Future had cut to credits the moment the Delorean disappeared from 1955. How frustrating would that be ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3482 on: September 09, 2016, 10:08:41 AM »
And yet, another possibility is that 30 seconds after Janeway says "we're home" and the credits start to role, Captain Braxton shows up in the Relativity and says "nice try. A for effort, but sorry. No dice." and sends the right back to where they were two hours earlier.  :lol

:lol Yeah, I thinking about that too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3483 on: September 09, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
PLOT HOLE

Surely Captain Braxton isn't unfamiliar with the idea of a multiverse ? The idea that anything can happen in an infinite number of alternate scenarios ?

How does he know that the reality of Voyager getting back to Earth via a Borg Conduit isn't the correct one for *this* universe ?

The very act of having a time altering spaceship surely defies the "temporal prime directive" all on it's own ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3484 on: September 09, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »
The timeship doesn't defy the temporal prime directive, because it's not there to meddle with time, only to prevent others from doing so. They know which reality is the correct one, because it's the one that doesn't involve others screwing with time.

Of course it's time travel, so it never holds up entirely, but it's not difficult to grasp in theory.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3485 on: September 09, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
The timeship doesn't defy the temporal prime directive, because it's not there to meddle with time, only to prevent others from doing so. They know which reality is the correct one, because it's the one that doesn't involve others screwing with time.

Of course it's time travel, so it never holds up entirely, but it's not difficult to grasp in theory.

Also - option three : SHADDAP YO FACE ITS SCI FI :lol

Also I like that scene in one of the Red Letter Media reviews that basically says that counting every time travel story on all of star trek - history has been changed millions of times.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3486 on: September 09, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
Scifi makes me do anything but shut up my face. :lol :blob:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3487 on: September 09, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
I've downloaded Star trek Online for PS4 as it's free. I'm Captain Oakes of the USS Kotow.

It's a Miranda Class but it's enormous :lol

not like Reliant.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3488 on: September 09, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »
Ferengi: Commander Federation vessel Kowtow. Lower your shields and prepare to be boarded!
Captain: Yes sir. Right away sir.
Helmsman: Ah, man, this shit again? I'm requesting a transfer to the USS Go Fuck Yourself. They don't surrender every week.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3489 on: September 09, 2016, 11:53:03 AM »
USS Kotow - this is the Talaxian vessel Mer......

Capt. Oakes : FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE :angry:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: September 09, 2016, 12:00:47 PM »
 :omg: Captain ???

:angry: FUCK TALAXIANS. FUCK THEM ALL TO SHA KA REE !!!!!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: September 09, 2016, 04:47:30 PM »
The episode The Voyager Conspiracy. I wonder if they planned moments ahead of time or just wrote it around what had happened.

Pretty good writing if they managed to write it around previous episodes.

The episode " Shattered " is pretty cool too. Having crew-members from different time periods team up.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3492 on: September 09, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
I'm back at trying to watch all the Star Trek episodes and i just saw the corobite maneuver. Did they really think the kid wasn't cheesy at the end.

Either way I'm really enjoying TOS this time around whereas the first time it was a painful chore to get though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: September 09, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
I don't think cheesy was a problem for TOS. :P

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3494 on: September 09, 2016, 10:19:47 PM »
I'm back at trying to watch all the Star Trek episodes and i just saw the corobite maneuver. Did they really think the kid wasn't cheesy at the end.

Either way I'm really enjoying TOS this time around whereas the first time it was a painful chore to get though.
I reckon if they couldn't afford Great Space Alien they figured they'd just go with Creepy Fuck instead. Clint Howard always qualifies for that role. Regardless of his suckiness, that was always one of my favorite episodes. Good story to kick off the series and it does well to establish K/S/M. Particularly with McCoy really ripping into Kirk in uncharacteristic fashion. 
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3495 on: September 09, 2016, 10:22:18 PM »

The episode " Shattered " is pretty cool too. Having crew-members from different time periods team up.
My recollection was that it was a wonderful premise with terrible dialogue. After watching it over dinner this evening I find I was right on the money. Wonderful premise. Awful writing.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: September 12, 2016, 06:59:13 AM »
Wil Wheaton hated Beyond but thought STID was the best one.

😂😂 Shut Up Wesley.

"Jaylah was just a damsel for Kirk to save". Err. No. She helped them the entire time....?

Kirk helped Jaylah like one time after she'd fended off the aliens. And that was only to get beamed back.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3497 on: September 12, 2016, 07:01:44 AM »
I thought Jayla was a strong and capable character, without being laid on too thick. She was believable. Usually I don't like that kind of character, but it was done well. I'd actually like to see her character again.

Shut up Wesley.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3498 on: September 12, 2016, 07:35:20 AM »
Unification Parts 1 & 2.  That was fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
I thought Jayla was a strong and capable character, without being laid on too thick. She was believable. Usually I don't like that kind of character, but it was done well. I'd actually like to see her character again.

Shut up Wesley.

Wil Wheaton loved STID despite having many many reservations about it. He didn't like the cold open. He didn't like x. He didn't like y.

He didn't like the Carol Marcus underwear scene - which I agree on at least. It was utterly pointless.

Yet he thought it was the best Trek.

And Beyond has more problems ?

Yeah I don't think so.

For one thing - the script in Beyond doesn't have glaring errors that don't support the whole film.

EDIT : Oh and he stooped to calling Star Trek Beyond " Fast & Furious In Space ".

REALLY ?

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:56:59 AM by Kotowboy »