Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259236 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3010 on: July 08, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
It's not part of the character's past, but it also doesn't contradict the character's past.  So it's no big deal either way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3011 on: July 08, 2016, 07:38:34 AM »
It's not part of the character's past, but it also doesn't contradict the character's past.  So it's no big deal either way.

If we're including Prime Universe, the closest I can think of is having a daughter in Generations, and I don't recall they mention a mother, so even that isn't definitive.
It's more the execution of it than anything. It's not like they're turning Kirk gay. Then everyone would have a right to be pissed off. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3012 on: July 08, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »
It would be awesome to do that, especially since they have already fucked up the reboot in almost every other way already.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: July 08, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
:lol You think they should just go down in flames at this point?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3014 on: July 08, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
If you're gonna be a bear, be a GRIZZLY.

in flames
lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: July 09, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »
It would be awesome to do that, especially since they have already fucked up the reboot in almost every other way already.

Whilst still being better than at least half of the Next Gen movies...

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3016 on: July 09, 2016, 12:03:02 PM »

Well obviously we disagree, but personally I would only put ST2009 above Nemesis. I'd say the rest of the TNG movies are better than it, and I'd rather watch Nemesis than Into Darkness.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: July 09, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »
Insurrection is by far my least favourite Trek movie. I hate it even more than The Final Frontier.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3018 on: July 09, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
I still say Sarek is the ultimate (full) Vulcan that any ST ever showed us.
Sarek was a very good Vulcan, but he was a pretty limited character. You got one episode of him being good and stoically logical, a couple of cameos and then two episodes where he's falling apart. Don't get me wrong, he set the bar for what true Vulcans should be, but he didn't do enough to be the ultimate Vulcan in my book. I believe we've discussed this before, and I still think Tuvok was the only one to get significant airtime and remain truly Vulcan the entire time.  He also remained the best outside observer of humanity, which I think is part of why Vulcans work in Star Trek.

Sarek was great in the movies too, better than ever.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: July 09, 2016, 04:43:32 PM »
" Where Silence Has Lease ".

Easily one of the best TNG episodes.

I wish one of the movies was as dark as this episode.

EDIT : looked it up and it was written by one of the writers of The Wrath of Khan.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:05:05 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3020 on: July 09, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »
That dude's death was a classic. All around good episode.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #3021 on: July 09, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »
Yea, really good episode. Unfortunate it had to be constrained to the 41 minute or whatever time limit, it felt really rushed at the end to have a conclusion in time. I imagine, if given a proper running time, it could have really explored the concepts even more.

One great thing, while not just being dark, is that it keeps you guessing. It gives you surprises and does unexpected things. I miss that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: July 09, 2016, 07:34:23 PM »

Well obviously we disagree, but personally I would only put ST2009 above Nemesis. I'd say the rest of the TNG movies are better than it, and I'd rather watch Nemesis than Into Darkness.

Agreed on all counts. At least I can sit through Nemesis.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3023 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:17 AM »
"Where Silence Has Lease" is the best TNG episode, of the first 2 seasons.
Q Who is my second favorite, and Measure of a Man third.

ST09 is the best Trek movie since Undiscovered Country IMO. Into Darkness is nowhere near as good, but still a fun movie. The TNG movies, with the exception of First Contact, are the lowest of the low points in the franchise. Nemesis and Generations are borderline disgusting.

In general, Trek has never worked well as movies, compared to the tv shows.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:10:18 PM by Polarbear »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: July 10, 2016, 04:19:28 AM »
ST09 is the best Trek movie since Undiscovered Country IMO. Into Darkness is nowhere near as good, but still a fun movie. The TNG movies, with the exception of First Contact, are the lowest of the low points in the franchise. Nemesis and Generations are borderline disgusting.

We are currently in the lowest of the low points in the franchise.

But at least I agree on the last part of your post. Trek, like any true scifi, works infinitely better on TV compared to the movies, especially in the current climate of movies being nothing but empty crap filled with explosions and crashes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3025 on: July 10, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
Picard paces up & down.

Troi : " I sense you are pacing up & down, Captain."

Picard : " Your empathic abilities are off the f---ing charts today, Counsellor ::) "

Also in Where No One Has Gone Before - they imply that Wes Crusher has some super natural abilities... And they never mention it again ever.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3026 on: July 10, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »
Picard paces up & down.

Troi : " I sense you are pacing up & down, Captain."

Picard : " Your empathic abilities are off the f---ing charts today, Counsellor ::) "

I think a problem with her is that they didn't utilize her actual, obvious purpose. She's a strategic telepath. However, any time she could have been of any actual use "Captain, they are able to hide their thoughts from me". She was essentially a cripple on an Olympic running team. One good thing about Lawaxana showing up was that she had her full powers. Like when she exposed the assassination plan from these other aliens as if it were some after thought of hers. That's what Troi should have been, someone to get into the enemy's mind and give Picard insider information. Pretty sure if the show was remade today, that's more of the role she'd take.

Nevermind, I forgot how things work today. She'd be the super hot love interest of someone who does very little...........so pretty much the same.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: July 10, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »
Also I love how every device has to flash or make a sound so you know it's working / the future.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3028 on: July 10, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »
One good thing about Lawaxana showing up was that she had her full powers. Like when she exposed the assassination plan from these other aliens as if it were some after thought of hers. That's what Troi should have been, someone to get into the enemy's mind and give Picard insider information. Pretty sure if the show was remade today, that's more of the role she'd take.

I love that scene.  Lwaxana bugs me sometimes, but I'm pretty sure she's supposed to bug people sometimes, but that scene with the frozen fish people was badass.  "Oh please, they're not ambassadors, they're assassins!  Their brains are so... (something belittling and awesome) (and this is all paraphrased anyway)!"

Nevermind, I forgot how things work today. She'd be the super hot love interest of someone who does very little...........so pretty much the same.

And I'd be fine with that, as long as the actress was hot.  Mission accomplished.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3029 on: July 10, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »

And I'd be fine with that, as long as the actress was hot.  Mission accomplished.

You know, for as scantily clothed as they often made alien species, they never took that opportunity with Troi, who was actually incredibly attractive underneath that horrible hair and super modest outfit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3030 on: July 10, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »

The mini-skirt uniform in season 1.  :hat

You know, for as scantily clothed as they often made alien species, they never took that opportunity with Troi, who was actually incredibly attractive underneath that horrible hair and super modest outfit.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: July 10, 2016, 08:52:27 PM »
Didn't she only were the mini-skirt for the first episode or so? She looked amazing in that. She should have kept it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3032 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
Her legs weren't exactly her highlight, as nice as they were. They mostly kept hidden her other.....attributes.

God we're such men.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3033 on: July 10, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
So true. On both counts.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3034 on: July 10, 2016, 09:26:56 PM »
Don't forget the famous yoga scene.... 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #3035 on: July 10, 2016, 09:27:53 PM »

You know, maybe it's an age thing, but i never found those super tight 80's workout clothing attractive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3036 on: July 10, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
It's funny. I never found her attractive until Ronny Cox made her where an actual Starfleet uniform. As I understand it, Marina Sirtis hounded them for a year and a half to get out of the catsuits and be an actual respectable character instead of a tart. Nine times out of ten I'd want to punch an actress in the mouth for such idiocy, but in this instance the girl was spot on. It was a huge improvement.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3037 on: July 11, 2016, 12:46:05 AM »
And as I think more about it, the biggest problem is that they tend to try and make troi-centric episodes and they almost always suck really, really hard. The episode where they turn her into a romulan was pretty good. Every other Troi episode sucked two pair of throbbing, steaming donkey balls.
E.F. Benson

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #3038 on: July 11, 2016, 01:42:15 AM »
...that scene with the frozen fish people was badass...

You mean Mick Fleetwood in full Antedean mode?
Imagine an Antedean drummer...

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: July 11, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »
Nine times out of ten I'd want to punch an actress in the mouth for such idiocy.

::)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3040 on: July 11, 2016, 07:07:58 AM »
...that scene with the frozen fish people was badass...

You mean Mick Fleetwood in full Antedean mode?
Imagine an Antedean drummer...

Greetings...
Nef

That's right!  I forgot Mick was one of the Antedeans.  Couldn't really recognize him, but it was cool to know it was him.

You know, maybe it's an age thing, but i never found those super tight 80's workout clothing attractive.

It's funny. I never found her attractive until Ronny Cox made her where an actual Starfleet uniform. As I understand it, Marina Sirtis hounded them for a year and a half to get out of the catsuits and be an actual respectable character instead of a tart. Nine times out of ten I'd want to punch an actress in the mouth for such idiocy, but in this instance the girl was spot on. It was a huge improvement.

Marina Sirtis had a full figure, but those skintight things she was in first season were totally unforgiving, and IMO totally unflattering for most.  She did look much better in a regulation uniform.  Even her cosmic cheerleader outfit was better than the catsuits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: July 11, 2016, 01:04:12 PM »
Never found Marina good looking but I definitely thought she looked better in her proper Starfleet uniform.

+ I was never crazy about 7 of 9 either. Nothing against Jeri Ryan of course but 7 of 9 was blatantly added to the cast for obvious reasons.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3042 on: July 11, 2016, 01:56:11 PM »
I've seen Jeri Ryan in other tv shows and she's a very good actress.  It just so happens that her body had made many nerds gasp in public.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: July 11, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
:dunno: I don't go gaga over big tits and blonde hair.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3044 on: July 11, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
It's more than that. Her eyes are amazing and I love her legs. Plus she can act.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC