Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259239 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2415 on: January 16, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
I am only on S1E2. Yar gets kidnapped.

I wish she woulda died right here.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2416 on: January 16, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
:lol I remember when my friend showed me the series for the first time, and I'd constantly yell at the screen about how much I hated her and wanted her to die.
I wonder if you'll feel the same about Pulaski as I did? (she's a later character)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2417 on: January 16, 2016, 11:53:22 PM »
I cant stand her either.

This isn't my first TNG rodeo.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2418 on: January 17, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »
My bad. In that case, I'm glad my most hated characters had a habit of disappearing quickly. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2419 on: January 17, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »
:lol I remember when my friend showed me the series for the first time, and I'd constantly yell at the screen about how much I hated her and wanted her to die.
I wonder if you'll feel the same about Pulaski as I did? (she's a later character)

I hated Pulaski way more than Yar.  So relieved when they brought Bevvy back.  Even if Wesley stayed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2420 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:44 AM »
I couldn't stand Troi early on.  Thankfully,  they flushed out her character and in the end a very strong character.   

Pulaski was easily hated.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2421 on: January 17, 2016, 08:00:38 AM »
The female characters mostly sucked on TNG. Oh and this is my most hated scene. Absolutely unnecessary and ridiculous. Also... those clothes  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZZeHkL29c

I think the one that I thought was most relatable was Crusher and I found Lwaxana Troi entertaining.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: January 17, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »
I knew exactly what scene that was going to be. I recall reading their outfits are one pieces worn backwards with clothing underneath, hence the low cuts at the front /pointless trivia.

They didn't do a good job with the female characters on TNG at all, at least in earlier seasons. That's why Denise Crosby left. I think it was partially behind Gates McFadden leaving for S2 (among other reasons). Marina Sirtis has spoken about how badly written her character was in earlier seasons.
They did manage to improve Troi later on so she had more to do than play emotional Captain Obvious. Crusher was mostly ok, but could have been utilized a lot more.

They did a much better job on DS9.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2423 on: January 17, 2016, 12:37:34 PM »
The female characters mostly sucked on TNG. Oh and this is my most hated scene. Absolutely unnecessary and ridiculous. Also... those clothes  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZZeHkL29c

I think the one that I thought was most relatable was Crusher and I found Lwaxana Troi entertaining.

You're crazy.   This is the single greatest scene in the history of any ST show EVER....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2424 on: January 21, 2016, 12:08:20 PM »
Best Of Both Worlds Could Have Been Longer

Interesting.  I think it works perfectly as a 2-parter.  Not sure how it would have been if it were any longer.

Thoughts?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:28 PM »
Yep it was fine as it was.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: January 21, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
Not sure how I feel about that. It could have turned out great, but it worked so perfectly as is that I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2427 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:17 PM »
Wow, I always thought it was one episode too long. Every time they did a cliffhanger to end a season, the second part was always terrible (or in this case, at least, passable but still disappointing). The only exception was Redemption which was excellent on both ends (and I suppose Descent which was just godawful all the way through). I suppose that Piller might have been onto something with  extending TBoBW out, though. They set a lot up with the first parts of these, and then have to resolve them in 45 minutes. In this case, Riker having to overcome Picard's knowledge of him was the big story, and they didn't get to really play it out. An intermediary episode in there would have helped.

The mid season two-parters tended to always be good to excellent. Unification, Chain of Command and Gambit were all great. Birthright wasn't bad, but it needed an actual B story to go along with the Worf story.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2428 on: January 21, 2016, 10:39:46 PM »
Something I've always wondered about but never remember to ask even though I think I know the answer:

Do they film two-parters all at once or do they come back and finish the second half?  I would think they film it all at once for the most part, but maybe if they're not sure the show will be back next year they might do it in two pieces.  I'm sure it's different for the genre as well like, say, comedy.

LOL @ "Piker versus Riker"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2429 on: January 21, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
The two-parters in the middle of a season are mostly shot together, or back-to-back, but the season cliffhangers are picked up when shooting starts for the next season.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: January 21, 2016, 11:01:01 PM »
Something I've always wondered about but never remember to ask even though I think I know the answer:

Do they film two-parters all at once or do they come back and finish the second half?  I would think they film it all at once for the most part, but maybe if they're not sure the show will be back next year they might do it in two pieces.  I'm sure it's different for the genre as well like, say, comedy.

LOL @ "Piker versus Riker"

There's a production break of a few months between seasons, even in the case of two parters. The script for BOBW pt 2 wasn't even written until after the first one was shot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2431 on: January 22, 2016, 08:09:33 AM »
There's a production break of a few months between seasons, even in the case of two parters. The script for BOBW pt 2 wasn't even written until after the first one was shot.
Which I think is one of the big problems with their season cliffhangers. It's real easy to write yourself into a corner. In this case writing a first half that sets up more more than you can accomplish in a second. Hence my feeling that Piller was probably right about making it 3 parts.

Also, even in the mid-season two-parters they're directed by different folk. Never understood why that was. Generally it worked alright as you never noticed a huge difference in tone between the two, but it's another thing that doesn't help matters.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2432 on: January 22, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Thanks for the info on shooting two-parters.

If they *know* they're coming back next season it seems silly to stop and re-start.  Having to get everything set up and looking just the same as the year before sounds very inefficient and stuff.  If they just did the shots with actors at the same time and saved the VFX for later would make a lot more sense.

Meh, I'm not Hollywood, I guess they know what they're doing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2433 on: January 23, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »
Thanks for the info on shooting two-parters.

If they *know* they're coming back next season it seems silly to stop and re-start.  Having to get everything set up and looking just the same as the year before sounds very inefficient and stuff.  If they just did the shots with actors at the same time and saved the VFX for later would make a lot more sense.

Meh, I'm not Hollywood, I guess they know what they're doing.

There's always the risk of the solution to the cliffhanger being leaked though.  I had just gotten into TNG mid-way thru Season 4, so I saw BOBW in syndication - part 1 was on a Friday, and part 2 aired on Monday.  I was on pins and needles all weekend wondering how the hell it was going to turn out.  I would've been out of my mind if I had to wait 3-4 months.  That was the perfect representation of a cliffhanger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2434 on: January 23, 2016, 07:33:32 AM »
It was!  I thought it was a good one, and yeah, the resolution to it might've been a bit rushed, but I didn't think Part II was horrible. And then the unofficial Part III, the episode "Family" where Jean-Luc goes home to Earth for R&R and gets hammered with his brother Robert (pronounced "Ro Bare") and ends up feeling a lot better about things, so that was cool.  TNG was pretty good through that stretch, those middle seasons.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »
It was!  I thought it was a good one, and yeah, the resolution to it might've been a bit rushed, but I didn't think Part II was horrible. And then the unofficial Part III, the episode "Family" where Jean-Luc goes home to Earth for R&R and gets hammered with his brother Robert (pronounced "Ro Bare") and ends up feeling a lot better about things, so that was cool.  TNG was pretty good through that stretch, those middle seasons.

Because he's french :p

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2436 on: February 01, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2437 on: February 01, 2016, 11:16:55 AM »
https://trekcore.com/blog/2016/01/new-star-trek-beyond-concept-art-reveals-new-starship/

New concept art reveals Uss Franklin. Looks a lot more like Prime Universe design.

Looks like it features heavily in "...Beyond".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2438 on: February 01, 2016, 09:15:29 PM »
I saw it a few days ago but figured it must have been a hoax. It just looks like a bad fan model of the NX-01 and doesn't fit with the Alt Universe aesthetic at all. Maybe it's supposed to look like an Alt Universe version of an NX-01 style/era ship though, since that's technically still canon and they did include a model of the NX-01 in Into Darkness.
Still looks much better than the hideous Dreadnought or whatever it was called from Into Darkness.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #2439 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:56 AM »
Ugh, that's some ugly ship.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2440 on: February 02, 2016, 09:27:04 AM »
It's like NX-01 or some TOS style ship.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: February 02, 2016, 09:30:25 AM »
I think it's supposed to be an older ship (somewhere from ENT era onwards), because they changed the style of the TOS era ships with the reboot. Maybe they got stuck with a crappy old ship for a reason.

I remember seeing a brief description of the movie somewhere and this probably fit into that, but I can't be bothered finding it again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: February 02, 2016, 09:34:12 AM »
It seems like The Franklin crashed on the same planet and Enterprise is sent to investigate and suffer the same fate.

At the end they try to resurrect the Franklin to get back to Starfleet.

" I know why you're here "...

Maybe Idris Elba's character Kraal takes down any ship that comes near the planet and imprisons the crews.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2443 on: February 02, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
The Enterprise is well into their 5 year mission, so they're far from home. Possibly this is a much older slower ship that left a long time ago to also get that far out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: February 02, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »
Paramount are shuffling their feet at the moment.

Only one teaser and the film is out in like 5 months.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2445 on: February 02, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »
Damn, we're that close? You'd think they could scrape together a little more enthusiasm and fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Trek. But maybe they saw the new movie already. :neverusethis:

Pretty sad when you compare it to the hype around Star Wars.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2446 on: February 02, 2016, 04:27:28 PM »
Star Wars is massive though.

I doubt Paramount could spend what Disney did on promo and even think about getting it back.

I thought Into Darkness had pretty good promo and it still made under $500m

No Star trek movie will ever make $1bn globally.

They'll probably start promoting it a lot more nearer the release date.

I'm hoping for a longer trailer very soon.

EDIT : A two-minute teaser was released in iTunes Movie Trailers on December 17. The teaser marked the beginning of a viral marketing campaign, with a hidden link directing fans to a movie-related website. A 30-second teaser premiered February 3, 2013 during the stadium blackout of Super Bowl XLVII.

Maybe we'll get a similar thing this time ?

The first Beyond teaser was Dec 14.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: February 02, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
Gonna leave a prediction here and come back to it after July 22.

In the trailer - you hear Kirk say " How're we gonna get out of this one ? "

His delivery is a bit awkward . I'm thinking they cut the line for the trailer and he actually says

" How're we gonna get out of this in one piece ? "

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2448 on: February 03, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
I would imagine we get a trailer during the Super Bowl.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: February 03, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Just casually asked Chris Doohan on twitter if he's in Beyond and he messaged me saying that he isn't.

Shucks.