Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259168 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #2240 on: November 02, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »
Yes  but he's only the producer. He's not writing it or directing it.

However - I have seen some of his directorial work and it was *fine*.

Offline kaos2900

Re: The United Threaderation of Planets V. New Star Trek Series Confirmed!!!
« Reply #2241 on: November 02, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
It's about time.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2242 on: November 02, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
What are Kurtzman's crimes?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:51 AM »
What are Kurtzman's crimes?

He co-wrote and co-produced Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness and is responsible for Cowboys & Aliens and the Transformers movies.

See Here : https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Writer&id=alexkurtzman.htm

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2244 on: November 02, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
He was also involved in Fringe and that was amazing. Limitless has been interesting so far too. Maybe he will do better in a tv format. At this point, I would take any ST tv show, even a more generic action-y one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2245 on: November 02, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2246 on: November 03, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »
So after thinking about this again, the fact that the new show won't be on TV but only available on their streaming service is 100% bullshit. It's pretty clear that this is not about Star Trek but about making money. I'll pass. CBS can go suck some balls.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: November 03, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
There's too much history covered in Enterprise and TOS - VOY for it to be set in the same time period.

I think either they set it WAY in the future on like " Enterprise NCC 1701 X " or something.

OR

Do the Voyager thing but better - have it set in Omega Quadrant or something which is like 5000 light years from Earth.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2248 on: November 03, 2015, 09:11:09 AM »
It will be new universe, maybe TNG type era so it doesn't interfere with the movies, or maybe they don't care and will have it parallel.

I'd actually prefer it be the new universe at this point, so it doesn't taint the original timeline. That way I can pretend that all Star Trek post-2005 is just a terrible nightmare.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: November 03, 2015, 09:29:53 AM »
Star Trek (2009) is fine.  :-\

I actually prefer it to Nemesis & Insurrection but there we go.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: November 03, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
Star Trek 2009 is fine, for a Hollywood scifi action movie. As a part of the Star Trek universe, it's pretty empty and dumb. I prefer it to Nemesis too, but that's because Nemesis was terrible. I don't want a series that is as equally empty and dumb as the new movies.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2251 on: November 03, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
Star Trek 2009 is fine, for a Hollywood scifi action movie. As a part of the Star Trek universe, it's pretty empty and dumb. I prefer it to Nemesis too, but that's because Nemesis was terrible. I don't want a series that is as equally empty and dumb as the new movies.

So blondes = ST 2009.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: November 10, 2015, 04:43:37 PM »
" There's a couple of movies i've done where I wasn't completely happy with the script when we started filming. One was Super 8 and the other was Into Darkness. "

- JJ Abrams.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #2253 on: November 11, 2015, 03:55:58 AM »
Showrunner nomination for future Trek: Wil Wheaton!

He is a fan, he knows the fans, he knows the data and the lore (:biggrin:), he's just the nerd for the job.
His character might not have been overly popular but I would like to think many fans would accept him in that role.
For me it would definitely be like "Shut up Wesley and take my money!" :lol

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2254 on: November 11, 2015, 04:13:48 AM »
Does he actually have any experience making shows? All I associate him with now is occasionally appearing on that faux nerd sitcom. No thanks.

I've said it before, but I'd love Simon Barry (Continuum) to be involved, although I think he's got a new project he's working on. He's one of the few people around who really understands what scifi and classic Trek is supposed to be, the polar opposite of hacks like JJ and co.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: November 11, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »
That would be interesting Blob and I wouldn't call JJ a hack at all.  He's had huge TV shows and movies.  How about Josh Whedon?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2256 on: November 11, 2015, 06:47:16 AM »
That would be interesting Blob and I wouldn't call JJ a hack at all.  He's had huge TV shows and movies.  How about Josh Whedon?

Nope. JJ is a great director.

And yes - The Big Bang Theory is genuinely awful.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: November 11, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »
That would be interesting Blob and I wouldn't call JJ a hack at all.  He's had huge TV shows and movies. 

Get back to me once he's actually had a good one. :biggrin:

Joss Whedon might work, although isn't he more into films lately?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: November 11, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
I'm a little excited that Star Trek Beyond is now listed as in " Post Production " on Wikipedia.

:) I really hope we get a teaser soon.

Something like This Teaser

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: November 11, 2015, 06:52:09 AM »
He is but those guys always have their hands into everything.

and JJ

Fringe
Alias
Lost

I love, love, loved Fringe.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: November 11, 2015, 06:53:40 AM »
Never seen Fringe but Ricky Gervais was in one episode and that put me off it  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: November 11, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »
He is but those guys always have their hands into everything.

and JJ

Fringe
Alias
Lost

I love, love, loved Fringe.

I recall someone telling me he didn't have much to do with running Fringe after creating it? I don't know, I haven't seen it yet. Alias was run of the mill stuff, and Lost is one of the worst things to happen to television this century. It encouraged empty mystery over genuine intrigue and plot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2262 on: November 11, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »
I never watch Lost but it seemed to have a very big following. Fringe was my thing and it was great.  Again the last season was rushed with only 13 episodes but that's what happens when the big wigs down allow a show to finish a story arch.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2263 on: November 11, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »
Fringe was awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2264 on: November 13, 2015, 12:50:49 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that JJ wasn't involved in Lost after the pilot episode. It was all Damon Lindelof after that. So judging him by that show probably isn't fair.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2265 on: November 13, 2015, 02:54:54 AM »
And according to a Damon Lindelof interview with Adam Savage - they had the arc of the show all planned out but the show was so popular the network demanded more seasons -

- which is why there is so much padding in the middle.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2266 on: November 14, 2015, 03:28:50 AM »
And according to a Damon Lindelof interview with Adam Savage - they had the arc of the show all planned out but the show was so popular the network demanded more seasons -

- which is why there is so much padding in the middle.

If that's true then I need to amend my statement. Anyone involved in the making that horrible ending deserves any and all of the shit that they get. The "padding in the middle" also gave them more than enough opportunities to answer many of the questions that were raised early in the show, but (as far as I can remember) they never really did.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: November 15, 2015, 12:14:50 PM »
I think it's interesting that ( Relics aside ) they never really mentioned Jim Kirk at all in The Next Gen.

I can't recall them even mentioning him in Unification apart from " you remind me of a previous Captain ".

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2268 on: November 15, 2015, 05:25:07 PM »
In the first season, there's a really bad TNG episode called "The Naked Now" which is tied to "The Naked Time" from TOS.  That's the episode where Yar jumps Data.  Anyway, I believe somebody on Enterprise D mentions that the wacky malady they're currently fighting was encountered once by the original Enterprise, and James T. Kirk was the captain.  They read it in a log.  I'm pretty sure they mention him by name.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2269 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:20 PM »
In the first season, there's a really bad TNG episode called "The Naked Now" which is tied to "The Naked Time" from TOS.  That's the episode where Yar jumps Data.  Anyway, I believe somebody on Enterprise D mentions that the wacky malady they're currently fighting was encountered once by the original Enterprise, and James T. Kirk was the captain.  They read it in a log.  I'm pretty sure they mention him by name.
If I'm not mistaken that episode had one of their After School Special moments with Wesley about the evils of drink. There were several during the first season and as much as they disgust me it's surprising I kept watching for the second season.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:08 PM »
I think it's interesting that ( Relics aside ) they never really mentioned Jim Kirk at all in The Next Gen.

I can't recall them even mentioning him in Unification apart from " you remind me of a previous Captain ".

I think that was a good thing. First of all, you don't want your new show mooching off the old show, you want it to be its own thing. Secondly, it makes the universe feel smaller to keep mentioning the one crew we've already seen, when there was also an Enterprise B and C with their own captains, and other ships and events. I never liked the thought of them raving about Kirk & co.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2271 on: November 15, 2015, 08:42:32 PM »
I don't like the thought of them raving, but Kirk and Company were on the original flagship in the early days of the Federation.  It makes sense that their missions and encounters were groundbreaking and thus would be studied by future officers in training.  At the very least, they would come up.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: November 15, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
I agree, I meant mentioning them too much, say more so than other theoretical crews. There were a few more mentions in the later series, and they were never overdone, and TNG did include cameos by Bones, Spock, and Scotty, so it's not like TOS was ignored.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2273 on: November 16, 2015, 07:04:14 PM »

I think that was a good thing. First of all, you don't want your new show mooching off the old show, you want it to be its own thing. Secondly, it makes the universe feel smaller to keep mentioning the one crew we've already seen, when there was also an Enterprise B and C with their own captains, and other ships and events. I never liked the thought of them raving about Kirk & co.
Well, they did set the show on the Enterprise and parade McCoy's geriatric ass around in the opening 5 minutes of the series.  :lol

The other series certainly did show due respect for the original TOS guys (even if it was in their snooty, holier than thou demeanor). Sisko was certainly an admirer, as was O'Brian, Dax wanted to nail Spock, and did nail McCoy. Janeway expressed some admiration, but only in a condescending sort of way. Spock was the highly regarded elder statesman. McCoy was mentioned alongside Henry Gray as one of the pioneers of medicine. Scott was the legendary miracle worker. After TNG they did a fine job of recognizing the significance of the past. The Roddenberry era just wouldn't accommodate having flawed, human characters in the fantasy-land of TNG animatronics.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
Roddenberry was too strict with his utopian ideas of perfection, but I never had a problem with the later series (or most of TNG either), or how they represented TOS. I think their view was too generous if anything, given how utterly antiquated TOS's way of thinking was even by that point. :lol

I think DS9 in particular did a great job breaking away from that. Earth was a utopia on the surface, but all of the outlying human colonies were pretty bitter and neglected, and because there were so many alien races coexisting on DS9, there was plenty of conflict between characters with differing ideas.

I'd like to see a new Trek series be a bit more hard hitting where a lot of these topics are concerned, that they kind of glossed over or only dealt with on their typical allegorical level most of the time, but I don't expect it with who's in charge of the upcoming series. It will probably be some faux gritty drama with a lot of action and some surface level comparisons to terrorism to make it feel relevant to Joe Average.