Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 254675 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:05 AM »
Captain's Log, stargate unknown. We are in orbit around a class M thread, with inhabitants who appear oddly exactly like humans, and even speak English. It is yet to be determined if they display signs of intelligence.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:54:22 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »
While we're on Kirk images, this is one I made for the last thread a while back.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »
So about The Animated Series.  I remember watching it when I was little.  I was impressed with how good the voices were, since I knew that there's no way they'd actually get the original cast to do the voices for the cartoon show.  Turns out they did get most of the original cast, which is why the voices were so good.

I was also impressed with some of the storylines.  Turns out they got a bunch of the original writers on board as well.

Basically, it was another season of The Original Series, but animated rather than live action.  Once you get past the fact that it's animated, it's pretty much TOS.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:23:37 AM »
5/5 for the thread title Nick  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
I'll be mainly partaking in this thread when it is about the movies or TNG.

All discussion about Voyager, Enterprise or DS9 leaves me about as useless as Deanna Troi after she's "sensed" something.

My trekkie friends in school and I always joked about how Troi would only ever look worried then pass out or state the bleedin' obvious.

*Borg Ship appears*

Troi : I can sense you are anxious captain.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
I'll be mainly partaking in this thread when it is about the movies or TNG.

All discussion about Voyager, Enterprise or DS9 leaves me about as useless as Deanna Troi after she's "sensed" something.

My trekkie friends in school and I always joked about how Troi would only ever look worried then pass out or state the bleedin' obvious.

*Borg Ship appears*

Troi : I can sense you are anxious captain.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK :lol

Ditto ... Was only a casual watcher of DS9 and Voyager. Was all over TNG though. Trying to make time for Enterprise at the moment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
I watch VOY occasionally but I just don't give a shit about that crew like I do with the TNG crew.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 01:00:31 PM »
Woo for a new thread, I stopped following the other one because I just had too much catch-up reading to do.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:23:58 PM »
Every so often i'll watch a voyager episode but they just seem like TNG episodes that never made it to air with a crew I don't care about who can't act that well.

Also :

TOS Movie Ranking

1.The Wrath Of Khan
2.The Undiscovered Country
3.The Voyage Home           

4.The Motion Picture
5.The Search For Spock
6.The Final Frontier

TNG Movie Ranking

1.Generations
2.First Contact
3.Nemesis
4.Insurrection

Alternate Universe Ranking

1.Star Trek (2009)
2.Into Darkness

I'm not sure where Into Darkness sits in my overall Movie Rankings but it's definitely top 5.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
I've noticed that every time someone from Starfleet comes aboard 1701-D - they *always* arrive in an Excelsior class ship . ;D

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 04:29:25 PM »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Plus automatic sliding doors.

Also : fuck yea Star Trek.  :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 04:45:50 PM »
That's pretty much true, really.  I saw a thing on Discovery or History Channel or one of those about how sci-fi writers have "predicted" tech for the past century.  But they turned it around, and what really happens is that inventors and R&D guys look to sci-fi for inspiration.  The most well-known example is the waterbed, a concept which first appeared in a (I think it was) Heinlein novel.  Sci-fi writers have come up with all kinds of cool stuff which may or may not be possible, and techies come up with a way to actually make them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Except the 1973 Cell phone wouldn't fit in your pocket. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sueño

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »
That's pretty much true, really.  I saw a thing on Discovery or History Channel or one of those about how sci-fi writers have "predicted" tech for the past century.  But they turned it around, and what really happens is that inventors and R&D guys look to sci-fi for inspiration.  The most well-known example is the waterbed, a concept which first appeared in a (I think it was) Heinlein novel.  Sci-fi writers have come up with all kinds of cool stuff which may or may not be possible, and techies come up with a way to actually make them.

it *would* be a Heinlein novel...  ::)  :laugh:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »

Yeah, 1993 would've been much closer.

Offline sueño

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 05:09:30 PM »

Yeah, 1993 would've been much closer.

That's what I was thinking.  '73 is REALLY early for cell phones...  We were still getting Bell Telephone demos about how to use dialing phones (third grade, here) and the wonderful future of *VIDEO* phones!!!   :omg:  ;D

That's what we were to look forward to!   :justjen

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 05:13:55 PM »
Not that I want to rain on ST's parade, but all those predictions were kind of obvious at the time. All those devices had real-life equivalents in this days:
Communicator = Walkie Talkie
IPad = CRT monitor

all of which had one obvious issue: size. The industry had been laboring towards smaller sizes, ST just followed it to the logical end.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
iPads are also wireless.  Obviously radio was around, so the idea of a wireless handheld screen wasn't too far-fetched, but the fact is that they didn't exist yet.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
I would definitely agree that sci-fi has influence design.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
What Orbert said. But a lot of it wasn't an issue of coming up with the ideas either, it was an issue of not having the technology to pull it off.

Not to mention that touch screen devices were around a long time before Apple turned them into the latest fad anyway. It was not a crazy futuristic idea, even at the time TNG was doing it, so that wasn't really a prediction.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »
My Movie listing....

1.Into Darkness
2.Star Trek (2009)
3.The Wrath Of Khan
4.The Voyage Home
5.The Search For Spock
6.First Contact
7.The Motion Picture
8.Generations   
9.Nemesis     
10.The Undiscovered Country
11.The Final Frontier
12.Insurrection

As far as the ST invention/influence..  The flip communicators of TOS vs. circa 2000 cell phones is spot on.  Yes mobile phones in theory wasn't a leap in 1966, but flip phones the same size and open to use like a communicator? Brilliant!   Also the ipad vs. the early 90's TNG tablet awesome!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 04:27:57 AM »
10. The Undiscovered Country below Nemesis ?!

:) Whatever floats yer boat I suppose. I don't mind Nemesis but TUC is top 3 for me easily.

+ Damon Lindelof was saying how do you use something from TOS Trek but still make it look futuristic - even though in reality we don't even use flip phones anymore and you have to make the Enterprise look like the Enterprise bridge but not have buttons and dials everywhere. It's an odd one. In the 1960's they had to imagine a future based on current tech, but now in the 2010's we have to not only try and honour classic trek tech but also not make it look really old school.  You end up with a 1701 that looks more futuristic than 1701-D, but as technology in reality gets better and better, you have to imagine what a starship in 200 years would look like.

+ Finally : Chris Pine let slip recently that they're all contracted to do " At least four movies ". This makes me happy. This means we have two more movies to look forward to. I don't think they'll end up doing six movies like the original cast but four would do me, if they were all as good as the first two. :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:35:33 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
That is awesome news fo sho!  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 06:23:44 AM »
Being contracted for four movies doesn't guarantee there will be four movies though, does it? It just means that if Paramount decide to do a 3rd/4th movie, that the cast is under contract to do them.

I'm hoping they stop at a third (I'd prefer they stop now, but since ID was popular, that isn't going to happen). It took them forever just to give us an empty rehash of old Trek, so I don't feel like they have much to offer other than yet another mindless action movie. I want JJ far away from Trek asap, so they can get a show started that is more in the spirit of Trek. It could be just what the dead scifi scene needs right now.

I miss scifi. :(

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:41:46 AM »

That last picture of Picard is one of my favorites.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Being contracted for four movies doesn't guarantee there will be four movies though, does it? It just means that if Paramount decide to do a 3rd/4th movie, that the cast is under contract to do them.

I'm hoping they stop at a third (I'd prefer they stop now, but since ID was popular, that isn't going to happen). It took them forever just to give us an empty rehash of old Trek, so I don't feel like they have much to offer other than yet another mindless action movie. I want JJ far away from Trek asap, so they can get a show started that is more in the spirit of Trek. It could be just what the dead scifi scene needs right now.

Well $450m means now more people enjoy Trek than ever before. And i'm totally fine with that.

Also, i've been a trek fan since I can remember and I adored Star Trek AND Into Darkness.

You don't have to watch the next one. I will see it on opening day and judge it on it's own merits like I have with the previous two films.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:43 AM »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 08:49:28 PM »

Well $450m means now more people enjoy Trek than ever before. And i'm totally fine with that.

Also, i've been a trek fan since I can remember and I adored Star Trek AND Into Darkness.

You don't have to watch the next one. I will see it on opening day and judge it on it's own merits like I have with the previous two films.

It made $450m by appealing to the lowest common denominator, as most big budget Hollywood movies do, which means any care for depth or plot or science is out the window. I've only been a fan since shortly before ST11, so its weaknesses were on its own merit, not because of any comparison to TOS, which I hadn't even seen a single episode of at that point (and which I heavily criticize in this thread anyway :lol ). I still enjoyed both movies as empty action movies though.

It's just a shame that seemingly few of the fans of the new movies have actually become converted Trek fans since (in my own experience that is. I'm not doubting they exist). If I had a dollar for every person who said "I liked the new movies and I don't even like Trek........"  :\ What an absolute shocker!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »
I don't want to use the term because it's so cliché, but there's that sad aftertaste of "sell-out" when it comes to the last two movies. There's nothing wrong with trying to appeal to a large audience. But with those movies I didn't really feel I was watching a Star Trek movie. More a CGI SciFi movie that had familiar characters.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 08:07:53 AM »
I feel the opposite. It felt like Trek to me with a decent budget.

I bet if TNG had $200m to spend on their movies they'd look the same too.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Plus it doesn't matter what I say or how much I liked them - i'll always be "wrong" according to Some people on this board who feel like they need to be right about everything.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »
Plus it doesn't matter what I say or how much I liked them - i'll always be "wrong" according to Some people on this board who feel like they need to be right about everything.
No, you're wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.