Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 255672 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3430 on: September 03, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3431 on: September 04, 2016, 11:24:18 AM »
How About No.

* * * IN OTHER NEWS * * *

Kate Mulgrew is now starting to resemble Shatner.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3432 on: September 04, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »
What do you guys think of Enterprise, compared to the other series?

I'd only watched a couple of episodes when it was first aired on TV, but I've been rewatching on Netflix the last few weeks. I'm almost at the end of season 1, but TBH it has been pretty patchy. One "filler" episode with Tucker and Reid stuck in a shuttle with the air running out was particularly woeful.  ;)

Is it worth sticking with?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3433 on: September 04, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »

I'd only watched a couple of episodes when it was first aired on TV, but I've been rewatching on Netflix the last few weeks. I'm almost at the end of season 1, but TBH it has been pretty patchy. One "filler" episode with Tucker and Reid stuck in a shuttle with the air running out was particularly woeful.  ;)

I liked Enterprise more than most. I say stick around at least through the first 3 seasons, then you can watch a few episodes of season 4 (the evil universe ones for sure). The first two seasons aren't........terrible? but they aren't really great either, and I really liked most of the 3rd season.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: September 04, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
SIGH........

Voyager Equinox Part 1.

As soon as Voyager's EMH activated the one on the Equinox I was like " ::) He's going to steal the mobile emitter isn't he....."

YEP. :facepalm: I wish this show wasn't so predictable at times. ***

And it's a two parter. It's going to be a long and annoying "what's wrong with the Doctor" scenario. . . . ::)

SIGH
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 02:32:50 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: September 04, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »

All the aforementioned -

Someone is beaming to a shuttle !

Shut down the transporters !

I can't !

They're taking a Shuttle !

Tractor Beam !

Not Working !

Follow them !

Engines off line !

Literally Every Time...

Nothing ever works when it's needed.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3436 on: September 04, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »
I was thinking the other day that in the 75,000 Light Years from the Alpha to the Delta Quadrant - there must be just one alien with a name that sounds the same as

John Smith - with all the sounds in the universe - those two must be placed together at least once :lol

Kind of like The Martian Manhunter from DC. His actual alien name (from what I know) is J'onn J'onzz, which of course sounds veeeery similar to John Jones.
I am actually speaking Rigelian; by an astonishing coincidence, both of our languages are exactly the same.”

It's also like Douglas Adams' Gin and Tonic phenomenon.
Quote from: The Guide
"It is a curious fact, and one to which no-one knows quite how much importance to attach, that something like 85 percent of all known worlds in the Galaxy, be they primitive or highly advanced, have invented a drink called jynnan tonyx, or gee-N'N-T'N-ix, or jinond-o-nicks, or any one of a thousand variations on this phonetic theme.

The drinks themselves are not the same, and vary between the Sivolvian ‘chinanto/mnigs’ which is ordinary water served just above room temperature, and the Gagrakackan 'tzjin-anthony-ks’ which kills cows at a hundred paces; and in fact the only one common factor between all of them, beyond the fact that their names sound the same, is that they were all invented and named before the worlds concerned made contact with any other worlds."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3437 on: September 04, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »

I liked Enterprise more than most. I say stick around at least through the first 3 seasons, then you can watch a few episodes of season 4 (the evil universe ones for sure). The first two seasons aren't........terrible? but they aren't really great either, and I really liked most of the 3rd season.

That. S2 is much the same as S1 in terms of consistency and quality. They changed things up for S3, and imo it's stronger than the rest and worth watching. Enterprise fans seem to consider S4 good, but overall I didn't like it. The mirror universe double episode is one to check out though. And don't watch the finale. Just don't. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #3438 on: September 04, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »

That. S2 is much the same as S1 in terms of consistency and quality. They changed things up for S3, and imo it's stronger than the rest and worth watching. Enterprise fans seem to consider S4 good, but overall I didn't like it. The mirror universe double episode is one to check out though. And don't watch the finale. Just don't. :lol

Oh god, ,do NOT watch the finale. Unless you're into being pissed on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3439 on: September 04, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »
I remember thinking people were overreacting about how bad the finale was, and thinking "how bad could it be?" Then I watched it. I've now repressed the experience entirely, leaving only the feeling of disappointment and anger.

Online Adami

« Reply #3440 on: September 04, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »
I still maintain the theory that the writers were really pissed off about whatever and wrote that finale to be a huge middle finger to everybody.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3441 on: September 04, 2016, 11:30:45 PM »
:lol
In some ways, I think their intention was for it to be a sendoff to Trek in general rather than just Enterprise, but they just went the wrong way about it in every regard. It was a spit in the face to the Enterprise cast.

Or maybe they didn't care and was a huge middle finger to everybody.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3442 on: September 05, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »

Oh god, ,do NOT watch the finale. Unless you're into being pissed on.

:lol I'll consider that fair warning..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3443 on: September 05, 2016, 09:13:50 AM »
Now I want to watch it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3444 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:28 AM »
You really don't. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3445 on: September 06, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »
OK, so I caught season 4 episodes "Reunion", "Data's Day", "The Nth Degree", "Qpid", and "Redemption Pt. 1".  The increase in average quality is remarkable, especially from seasons 1 & 2.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3446 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »
Thought to give you guys a break from my newbie noise heh
Just watched By Any Other Name, loved it. So much real tension in this episode, especially when they thought to self destruct. A couple of firsts for me:
- Kirk stood there and witnessed the cold blooded execution of an unarmed crew member, Yeoman Thompson. A moment that felt like it should be crushing but Shatner failed to make it work. Still though, it was something.
- Red shirt Denzel Washington A. Had a relatively big speaking role. B. Was a more than a decent actor. C. Did not die. I also think this might have been the first black guy in a red shirt(could be wrong).
- The gang tries several solutions to get out of the dilemma and fail, usually the second thing works heh

This could have made it into a top 5 list up to the scene where all the crew member have been turned into the little cubes and only Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty remain. Then it took a down turn once the highly intelligent creatures became ridiculously gullible. I paused at the scene where they were eating at the mess hall and told my wife "there's only 10 minutes left and they're super beat, the rest of this episode is gonna offer a silly resolution to the plot" :lol
I still enjoyed it a lot overall.
Oh and
Kirk: I don't usually go around beating up beautiful women.
Kelinda: Why not?
Kirk: Well, there are better things for men and women to do.
Kelinda: Like what?
Me: :neverusethis:
This was always one of my favorites.

One thing I forgot to mention was a spectacular first in this episode:
CONTINUITY!!!!!Kirk refers to the time they were locked up in A Taste of Armageddon and how Spock used his Vulcan mind trick to free them.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: September 06, 2016, 10:56:12 PM »
Don't get used to it. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: September 08, 2016, 05:34:26 AM »
To commemorate today being the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Star Trek airing, I rewatched The Man Trap.
The basic elements hadn't quite meshed together yet, with the main trio not having much dynamic at this stage, although the characters are there. Interestingly, of the four crewmen to die, none were wearing red shirts. It had some notable moments of the '60s sexism, and the basic plot was fairly standard 50s/60s scifi fare, more of a monster of the week rather than dealing with it in the Trek way. The moral discussion was there in parts, but the outcome didn't give that a payoff.
I never watched TOS in proper order since it didn't really matter, so it's interesting seeing it fresh like people did at the time rather than inbetween other episodes. I'm even contemplating rewatching every episode on the 50th anniversary of their original airing date.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3449 on: September 08, 2016, 07:12:02 AM »
"Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3450 on: September 08, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
To commemorate today being the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Star Trek airing, I rewatched The Man Trap.
The basic elements hadn't quite meshed together yet, with the main trio not having much dynamic at this stage, although the characters are there. Interestingly, of the four crewmen to die, none were wearing red shirts. It had some notable moments of the '60s sexism, and the basic plot was fairly standard 50s/60s scifi fare, more of a monster of the week rather than dealing with it in the Trek way. The moral discussion was there in parts, but the outcome didn't give that a payoff.
I never watched TOS in proper order since it didn't really matter, so it's interesting seeing it fresh like people did at the time rather than inbetween other episodes. I'm even contemplating rewatching every episode on the 50th anniversary of their original airing date.
There was a moral component to the Man Trap? I don't recall such a thing.

I tried watching the Lights of Zetar the other night and couldn't stomach it. Always one of my least favorite episodes, and anytime Scotty has a love interest it's just completely awful. Dude's worse that Geordi in that regard.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3451 on: September 08, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
There was a moral component to the Man Trap? I don't recall such a thing.

They touched upon it while sitting around the table, but it amounted to nothing, so not really, no.

I have literally zero recollection of The Lights of Zetar, even though I have it and would have watched it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3452 on: September 08, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Watched TMT working in the shop earlier. Actually a pretty good episode, but with the typical flaws. It was never established if the salt vampire could physically change appearances or only make people think they see something different. Also, it was a pretty fucking stupid animal. One thing I hadn't remembered was Kirk's rather blunt but very accurate assessment of Crater's motivation:

You saving the last of its kind or has this become Crater's private heaven, here on this planet? This thing becomes wife, lover, best friend, wise man, fool, idol, slave. Isn't a bad life to have everyone in the universe at your beck and call, and you win all the arguments.
If there's an actual moral question it'd be whether or not to have ended this symbiotic relationship. Of course the creature essentially suicided-by-cop at the end, negating the question.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: September 08, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »

* * * * * * Question Time!!! * * * * * *

What do you think is the greatest single episode ever from any series ?

All Good Things ?

Blink Of An Eye ?

Duet ?

Spock's Brain ? :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3454 on: September 08, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
Watched TMT working in the shop earlier. Actually a pretty good episode, but with the typical flaws. It was never established if the salt vampire could physically change appearances or only make people think they see something different.

It appeared as three different characters simultaneously to McCoy/Kirk/Guy at the start (which was pretty dumb of it if it wanted to conceal its true nature), and they established it had the ability to connect to people's minds to read what they wanted to see, so it makes sense that it's only psychological. I had wondered the same thing though.
It's a slightly better episode than I remember first time (not by much), but I think it's a bit better than many of the ones that follow it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3455 on: September 08, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »
Yeah, I think the beast we saw at the end was its true appearance but up until that point, we'd only seen what it looked like through the eyes of various characters.  We just didn't know that at first.  But when McCoy saw a much younger Nancy than the "more realistic" aged Nancy that Kirk saw, that was our clue.

When it went to feed, it dropped the mind games and we saw what it really looked like.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3456 on: September 08, 2016, 12:05:34 PM »
Read TMT.

Thought of The Most Toys.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3457 on: September 08, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
It appeared as three different characters simultaneously to McCoy/Kirk/Guy at the start (which was pretty dumb of it if it wanted to conceal its true nature), and they established it had the ability to connect to people's minds to read what they wanted to see, so it makes sense that it's only psychological. I had wondered the same thing though.
It's a slightly better episode than I remember first time (not by much), but I think it's a bit better than many of the ones that follow it.

Yeah, I think the beast we saw at the end was its true appearance but up until that point, we'd only seen what it looked like through the eyes of various characters.  We just didn't know that at first.  But when McCoy saw a much younger Nancy than the "more realistic" aged Nancy that Kirk saw, that was our clue.

When it went to feed, it dropped the mind games and we saw what it really looked like.
And that's certainly the way I figure it. The first scene make is such. At the same time when it's wandering around as McCoy it appears the same to everybody. That doesn't preclude the psychological explanation, but it just looks like a physical manifestation to the viewer.

E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3458 on: September 08, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »

* * * * * * Question Time!!! * * * * * *

What do you think is the greatest single episode ever from any series ?

All Good Things ?

Blink Of An Eye ?

Duet ?

Spock's Brain ? :neverusethis:
Tough call. And interesting a question that hasn't actually been posed here a dozen times. Far out.

Off the top of my head I'd probably go with In the Pale Moonlight, but there are certainly rivals. I'm probably blurring the line between the best and my favorite. When I think of the best, all of them really show up in DS9. Duet, The Visitor (quite possibly the high-water mark), ItPM, and Rocks and Shoals.

For TOS, I always found The City on the Edge of Forever overrated, until one day I noticed how good an episode it really was. After that, maybe the Doomsday Machine.

All Good things gets bumped down out of contention in my book because of a previously unnoticed plot hole the size of delta quadrant. Of the TNG episodes, they come down to Picard-centric ones, and Tapestry rates pretty high for me.

A darkhourse contender would be Similitude. The only Enterprise episode that ranks with the greats. Probably falls short, though. Haven't seen it in ages.

VOY probably comes down to Blink of an Eye. Damn near a perfect episode.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: September 08, 2016, 01:25:46 PM »
The plot hole in All Good Things doesn't bother me.  Time Travel stories always have a metric ton of problems if you sit down and think about them.

Just like in Back To The Future. Not a lot in the movie holds up to logic but you don't care because the movie around it it so perfect.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3460 on: September 08, 2016, 01:56:53 PM »

HAPPY 50TH STAR TREK. #LLAP

Online Adami

« Reply #3461 on: September 08, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
What's LLAP?

Also I think I'll watch The Cage or something tonight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: September 08, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
What's LLAP ?

:eek :eek :eek

Hand over your com badge AT ONCE !

Online Adami

« Reply #3463 on: September 08, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Just googled it. I really don't like acronyms.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3464 on: September 08, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »
Nor me. But I hate Backronyms even more.

Or when people say an acronym and then immediately tell you what it stands for :lol

" dude this car has ABS . Automatic Braking System. "

:lol