Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256835 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1961 on: May 20, 2015, 03:56:58 AM »
I was thinking about "Yesterday's Enterprise" recently and how Guinan suddenly becomes aware of the time changes coincidentally at the moment Enterprise C comes thru the

rift. When in fact - Enterprise going through a rift would have affected time from that moment in the past onwards. :P

I'm sure there's a lot of problems with that episode paradoxically speaking but it's a good enough episode that you don't think about them til much later.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1962 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:55 AM »
I find there are consistency issues with most time travel stories, but I love the idea of time travel so much that I can excuse them (Back to the Future is my favourite movie series, and that's full of time travel problems).

I think it's pretty hard to define a set of rules for how time travel will work and then tell a story within those rules that works perfectly as a linear story, especially as part of a TV show.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1963 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »
https://mashable.com/2015/05/19/enterprise-building-star-trek/
The author of that article is seemingly unaware there were other ST series than TNG. That looks a helluva lot more like Voyager than any of the Enterprise variants.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: May 21, 2015, 05:59:59 AM »
Every comment I've seen has said the same thing, although I'd say it looks much more like the Enterprise-E. Voyager didn't has that clear separation between saucer and secondary hull.
Either way, it's clearly a Trek ship, so that's pretty cool.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1965 on: May 21, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
Every comment I've seen has said the same thing, although I'd say it looks much more like the Enterprise-E. Voyager didn't has that clear separation between saucer and secondary hull.
Either way, it's clearly a Trek ship, so that's pretty cool.
Stubbier secondary hull, shorter nacelles in relation to the rest, and far more oblong primary hull. Sticking with Voy. Though I can see your E similarities (I didn't realize that its hull wasn't circular).

What's cool is that it's Chinese. They're way towards the bottom of the list of people who I'd see doing such a thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »
The secondary hull and saucer section are too distinct for me to think Voyager, and the perfect oval is a much closer match to the E-E than Voyager's spoon/egg shape. The bridge deck would match either ship pretty well, and the shorter nacelles do look more Voyager shaped, but the pylons are too thin and swept the wrong way for Voyager, but are a match to the Enterprise-E.
It also doesn't help that I spent 3-4 months researching and 3D modelling the USS Voyager, so I don't accept the vague similarity. :lol

Being Chinese, what are the odds it's actually a real starship just posing as a building?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1967 on: May 21, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
Hey, I think I hear a dingo eating your baby!
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: May 21, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
Nah It's too late . I saw the dingo chucking the baby on the barbie.   :hat Bonzer Tucker Mate !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1969 on: May 21, 2015, 11:17:11 AM »
Blob - an aside - have you heard of a jazz guitarist from Sydney called Carl Orr ?

just asking since he taught at the school where I did my degree :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: May 21, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
Blob - an aside - have you heard of a jazz guitarist from Sydney called Carl Orr ?

just asking since he taught at the school where I did my degree :)

Nope. And it's bonza, not bonzer, but aside from that, well done. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1971 on: May 22, 2015, 02:15:30 AM »
Crikey ! :angry:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: May 28, 2015, 11:37:14 AM »
My Grandad was watching TOS and I noticed the same score that they used again in TWOK - especially what sounds like a minor triad which slides down a semitone.

That eerie score when Chekov is telling Kirk about Khan after he has been rescued from the space station.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1973 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
I think I've seen all Alexander episodes now, and they all sucked.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1974 on: June 01, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »
I can't remember a decent one. Even DS9 only managed a half decent episode with him in it. Some characters are just always downers.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1975 on: June 01, 2015, 10:33:32 PM »
I've seen a few TNG episodes that made me giggle...but I don't know if I thought any of them "sucked"...not even the one with THAT DAHM CAHNDLE!!  :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1976 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »
I think I've seen all Alexander episodes now, and they all sucked.
A couple were good despite whoever played the role of Alexander. Reunion is excellent even though that kid tries his damnedest to ruin it. And the wedding episode was good, right up until the actual wedding itself. How on Qo'noS could the Klingons be so ridiculously cheesy. Still, the first 40 minutes are entertaining.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: June 02, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Kids never come across well in Star Trek.

They always seem to pick the ugliest kids to appear on the show :lol

Especially on TOS.

And I vote for Jake Sisko to be more annoying than Wes Crusher.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1978 on: June 02, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
Really? Never got that. I thought his friendship with Nog was really cool.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: June 05, 2015, 08:12:38 AM »
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/04/star-trek-3-director-justin-lin-promises-whole-new-worlds-and-species?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

It sounds like at least the people *making* the next film know what they're doing. If it just turns into another mindless action'n'splosion fest then we know

to blame Paramount because it seems everyone from the writers to the director know what was wrong with the last movie

( even though I LOVE Into Darkness ) .

It's all positive news in my opinion and could be the best of the three.

Although I do wish JJ had stuck around to make all three. if they only make three of these prequel movies - it would have been nice to have had a JJ trilogy.

Now the third one will have a different feel to the other two. Say what you want about the writing but 2009 & Into Darkness both *looked* fantastic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1980 on: June 05, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »
I don't think that knowing what was wrong with the last movie means that the next one will be good.

They could make whole new mistakes that JJ never dreamed about.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: June 05, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »
I've tried to be optimistic about JJ getting his hack paws off Trek, but so far I'm not convinced. But at the very least, it couldn't be worse than Into Darkness, right?

I'm sure they'll prove me wrong on that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1982 on: June 05, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
But at the very least, it couldn't be worse than Into Darkness, right?
Yeah, it could.  But I don't think it will.

Which doesn't mean it will be "good".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1983 on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »
Into Darkness is a great film. it's fun and exciting. The script isn't perfect but i enjoy it regardless.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1984 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
I enjoyed both Star Trek movies immensely, I think they were fun movies though yeah the writing could've been better. But these are the guys who also wrote the Transformers movies so wasn't hoping for much in terms of plot but it had more than I hoped for.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1985 on: June 05, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »
I think both of the new Star Trek movies are entertaining and fun, in the same way that most action blockbusters are entertaining and fun.  Switch your brain off, enjoy the spectacle, and be pleasantly surprised if the plot is actually interesting and doesn't have too many obvious holes.  If you can enjoy them on that level, cool.  Some people still won't like them, but whatever, you can't please everyone.

The group they tend to divide the most is the hardcore Star Trek fans.  They don't like how a certain character is portrayed, or how something from canon was changed or ignored, stuff like that.  And a lot of them still fall into the first category (the movie is still entertaining and fun) but a lot of them simply cannot get over the fact that it's Star Trek, but it's not "their" Star Trek, the one they know and love and expect it to be.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1986 on: June 05, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
I think the other complaint from hard core Star Trek fans is that these new movies move far away from the thought provoking, social commentary and general scientific premise of past movies and shows. They are 'dumbed down' action movies set in the star trek universe and don't invoke the same mantra as before. They've become too star wars is a common complaint I read.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: June 05, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »
I think both of the new Star Trek movies are entertaining and fun, in the same way that most action blockbusters are entertaining and fun.  Switch your brain off, enjoy the spectacle, and be pleasantly surprised if the plot is actually interesting and doesn't have too many obvious holes.  If you can enjoy them on that level, cool.  Some people still won't like them, but whatever, you can't please everyone.

The group they tend to divide the most is the hardcore Star Trek fans.  They don't like how a certain character is portrayed, or how something from canon was changed or ignored, stuff like that.  And a lot of them still fall into the first category (the movie is still entertaining and fun) but a lot of them simply cannot get over the fact that it's Star Trek, but it's not "their" Star Trek, the one they know and love and expect it to be.

Even ignoring all of that, the movies were just full of holes in their own right, the kind of generic modern action movies that don't even hold up to the scrutiny of shutting your brain off and sitting in front of a theater screen for two hours, let alone any repeated viewings, as is the norm for those hackjob writers. I was a new fan who had never watched a single episode of TOS when I saw ST11, and I still thought it was stupidly written (although watchable as far as big dumb action movies go). And Into Darkness is rubbish regardless of whether I judge it as a Trek movie or just another scifi movie.

They should just stop trying to adapt Trek to the big screen altogether, because it barely worked back in the 1980s, let alone in 2015 where movies have to aim at the lowest common denominator to earn back their budgets. It needs to come back to TV where it realizes its potential as more than just spaceship explosions and crashes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1988 on: June 05, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
I'll take both worlds.  My intellectual side wants the series on TV.

My "pound your chest" side wants to see the big dumb action film.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1989 on: June 05, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »
This.

I think the other complaint from hard core Star Trek fans is that these new movies move far away from the thought provoking, social commentary and general scientific premise of past movies and shows. They are 'dumbed down' action movies set in the star trek universe and don't invoke the same mantra as before.
Also this.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1990 on: June 06, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »
This might've been posted elsewhere but I just came across it today. Quite relevant to the thread.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1991 on: June 06, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
That actually explains a lot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1992 on: June 06, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »

I think this is patently false. I don't know of many ST fans that didn't like the characterizations, I thought they were great, and revising the cannon was a good move. The reason it sucked isn't because of trekkie, anal-retentive nitpickings, but because it was simply Transformers set in the ST universe. Rather than not being the ST we remember, it just isn't ST at all. If they decide to make an actual sci-fi movie with the pieces they have in place, rather than a typical blockbuster explosion-fest, I suspect it'll be very good.

And for the record, I agree with your first paragraph. I find them entertaining to an extent. From time to time I'll watch them both skimming past the overly long and chaotic action sequences that pop up every ten minutes or so. You skip past all of the chase scenes and battle scenes which you can't discern anyway and it's actually quite entertaining.  Roughly 1/3-1/2 of each movie is fluff for the masses that's either unnecessary or an actual detriment.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1993 on: June 08, 2015, 07:33:36 AM »
Yesterday I watched City on the Edge of Forever for the first time in a looooooooooooong time.

I marveled at how much I didn't like it.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1994 on: June 12, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
Enterprise was amazing. Come at me!