Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256896 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1750 on: January 01, 2015, 11:31:57 PM »
The Starship Enterprise is 50 years old.

December 29, 1964.  Richard Datin, Mel Keys, and Vern Sions pose outside the model shop in Burbank, California, with the newly-completed model of the original Starship Enterprise.

Designed by art director Walter M. Jefferies (in whose honor the Jefferies Tubes are named), the model is currently being prepared for its new home in the Boeing "Milestones of Flight" Gallery, opening in 2016 at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1751 on: January 04, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »
:metal
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1752 on: January 04, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
The Starship Enterprise is 50 years old.

December 29, 1964.  Richard Datin, Mel Keys, and Vern Sions pose outside the model shop in Burbank, California, with the newly-completed model of the original Starship Enterprise.

Designed by art director Walter M. Jefferies (in whose honor the Jefferies Tubes are named), the model is currently being prepared for its new home in the Boeing "Milestones of Flight" Gallery, opening in 2016 at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
It's already in the Smithsonian. Alas, it's in the gift shop (places I habitually avoid) so I didn't know to look for it.

Amusingly, when I asked a guide at Udvar-Hazy where it was he said "uh, it's taking up the entire back half of the place--you can see it from here," pointing at the space shuttle. I said no, I mean the Star Trek model. "Oh, yeah, it's this way. Follow me." He then proceeded to take me to this:

:lol  Uh, yeah. Thanks Old Dude.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1753 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:31 AM »
I love this essay.  Probably because it restates my opinion  :lol

https://trekmovie.com/2015/01/11/editorial-the-future-of-star-trek-its-the-story-stupid/
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1754 on: January 14, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
I agree with what Red Letter Media say though : no film studio is ever going to put out Star Trek The Motion Picture again.

They're not going to pay $150m to make a film that makes $60m back.

These big action films make the money. That's the truth of it.

The last film that was mostly all about the plot and not the big space battle and action was Star Trek 6 almost 24 years ago.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1755 on: January 14, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
the humans on Star Trek aren’t even human. The aliens are human.
Always nice to see your opinions validated by some random stranger on the internet.

Naturally I agree with most of what he says. However, I was thinking a few weeks ago about an idea that he dismisses outright (which is fine except he dismisses it for the wrong reason). I think a ST anthology series would be pretty cool. We've seen very in depth portrayals of specific chunks of the space-time continuum. It'd be interesting as fuck to see some random, unknown corners of the canon. What was the NCC-1894 Cocksucker doing the last week of the Dominion War? What was the Intrepid doing a month before it died? The NX-2 might have had some interesting adventure at some point. I'll bet the Valiant and the Equinox had all sorts of crazy shit happen to them before the events leading to their respective demises. A day in the life of a psychotic Klingon? Romulan poltics?

By staying outside of the 5 key elements you've opened up a shitload of canon to play around with still inside of their universe. Christ, we could come up with 5 seasons worth of great stories in the ST universe since they don't have to be linked to any one series at a time. A lot of really good ST has come outside of the common context. Below Decks was very good and dealt mostly with nobodys. O'Brien spends an episode inside some criminal syndicate and goes Donnie Brasko. Worf spends two episodes stuck in some Romulan/Klingon interment camp. As a rule you would rarely be recasting people, and they'd be largely unknown if you did. At the same time, John Savage might be keen to do a ST movie of the week; who knows. It's also possible that you stumble across a ship/crew that are particularly popular out of some random actors you through together for some one off story. Seems like a series could spin off naturally from something like that, which wasn't something dreamt up by the same people using a formula to make money. 

Downside is that it'd be cost prohibitive. Try telling a studio principle shooting will be on a Constellation bridge one week and inside a Borg cube the next. "Oh, and in a couple of weeks we'll need 300 Andorian extras for a two-parter!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1756 on: January 14, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »
That sounds incredible.  But it would never happen.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1757 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
Yeah, that would be a cool idea.

Not sure whether you guys followed this today, but two guys free-climbed El Capitan today. I always thought Kirk freesoloing El Capitan probably sounded cool on paper, but when they actually stuck middle aged Shatner on the rock, it didn't really translate.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1758 on: January 16, 2015, 07:17:12 AM »
I heard some morning show DJs downplaying that climb of El Capitan because it wasn't free soloing.   :facepalm:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1759 on: January 16, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »
Jesus.

I have to admit, I am a rock climber myself, but I had to inform myself what was actually so special about this achievement, since it looked like regular trad climbing to me. Well, it is, but apparently all previous ascents had been done with "aid climbing", where you use special hooks to cling to the wall. These guys did it all with their fingers.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1760 on: January 16, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
I did rock climbing once.  It was a 20-foot wall in a sporting goods store.  The "rock wall" was some kind of heavy plastic, and the footholds were colorful things bolted onto it.  I wore a harness attached to a pulley manned by a guy half my age.  No danger at all.  Still, I got maybe halfway up and decided that maybe rock climbing isn't for me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1761 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
I did rock climbing once.  It was a 20-foot wall in a sporting goods store.  The "rock wall" was some kind of heavy plastic, and the footholds were colorful things bolted onto it.  I wore a harness attached to a pulley manned by a guy half my age.  No danger at all.  Still, I got maybe halfway up and decided that maybe rock climbing isn't for me.

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1762 on: January 16, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »
If you rock climb with no safety gear at all - people only marvel at " wow - you didn't die ".

If you climbed Mt. Everest with full safety gear etc and made it up and back down alive - people are more like " Wow - you climbed Mt. Everest. "

For me at least - climbing El Capitan with full safety gear is more impressive than doing it with absolutely none - because that's just stupid IMO.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1763 on: January 16, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »
That's kinda where I am.  I would never climb a mountain just because it's there, but if I did, I'd be fully geared up.  When people climb Mt. Everest, I'm impressed.  When people climb up a cliff with just their bare hands and no safety gear, I can't even relate.  I mean, I'm impressed, but I'm so busy being blown away by how out-of-their-fucking-minds they are that I kinda forget to be impressed.  I usually just think they're out of their fucking minds.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1764 on: January 16, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
Fucking Everest. It used to be that climbing the thing was a true statement about being a badass; it was a bold accomplishment. Now it's honestly just a statement about how shallow you are. You're willing to spend $50k and 2 months of sheer misery just to be part of a club of thousands that spent 90 seconds standing on top of the thing (assuming weather and luck of the draw even permits you to make it). I'm far more impressed by somebody who'll spend that $50k living on a beach in Phuket like Nikki Fucking Sixx.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1765 on: January 16, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »
Well, when you climb Mt. Everest, you can become a road marker!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1766 on: January 16, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
 :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: January 16, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »
That's horrible...

yet kinda awesome.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1768 on: January 16, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »
Every time I find threads like this, I look over at my wife and tell her how awesomely funny my DTF friends are.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1770 on: January 22, 2015, 12:55:07 AM »
I read that earlier, but from a crappy site.
It's like nobody involved has any clue what Star Trek is. Directed by Fast and Furious guy, co-written by Simon Pegg, this is shaping up to be even worse than Into Darkness. It will be a miracle if I'm even able to sit through the next one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1771 on: January 22, 2015, 02:31:05 AM »
I read that earlier, but from a crappy site.
It's like nobody involved has any clue what Star Trek is. Directed by Fast and Furious guy, co-written by Simon Pegg, this is shaping up to be even worse than Into Darkness. It will be a miracle if I'm even able to sit through the next one.

I'm not sure what to expect at this point. My expectations are definitely pretty low, however.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: January 22, 2015, 06:03:56 AM »
You do know Pegg is a huge Trek fan yes ?

Plus his Blood & Ice Cream Trilogy was very well written.

I thought everyone would be over the moon that an actual TREK FAN was writing this and Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman no longer have anything to do with it..

Apart from the director - this has taken a huge turn for the better.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:12:50 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: January 22, 2015, 06:23:01 AM »
 :lol If it was announced that Nick Meyer was directing and Harve Bennett & Leonard Nimoy were writing it

El Barto and Blob would still bitch and moan.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:32 AM »
:lol If it was announced that Nick Meyer was directing and Harve Bennett & Leonard Nimoy were writing it

El Barto and Blob would still bitch and moan.

We're really not that hard to please (ok, I can't speak for Barto :lol ), it just seems that Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general has zero interest in real science fiction that isn't empty eye candy for the masses.

The Planet of the Apes movies were the perfect example of good writing that didn't rely on randomly jumping around from one explosion fight to another. If they announced they'd gotten the writing team from those movies, or either of the directors, then I'd be jumping out of my chair in excitement. Give me a director who makes silly car movies and a comedian writer who happens to already be on the cast, and it should be fully expected that people are going to be less than thrilled at Paramount's half-assedness with this franchise.

If Star Trek was even half as well organized as the Star Wars franchise, they could be doing great things both in film and in television.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1775 on: January 22, 2015, 06:43:36 AM »
Star wars may be well organized but their last trilogy was so poorly written, that it turned Science fiction fans into Telemundo fans.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1776 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:38 AM »
Pegg may be a comic actor but he can definitely write.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1777 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:48 AM »
Star wars may be well organized but their last trilogy was so poorly written, that it turned Science fiction fans into Telemundo fans.

The prequel trilogy was total crap, because George Lucas was totalitarian and surrounded himself with yes men.
But as a franchise overall, it's been much more centralized and organized. And the new movie is shaping up perfectly so far. They really know what the fans want, they've got someone in charge who actually likes the franchise (which sadly wasn't the case when that same man was in charge of Trek), and they've got all of the right people involved, and have really taken on board the complaints about the prequels. And they've got one or two people at the top making the big decisions about the franchise.

With Star Trek, we were stuck with a producer/director who disliked the franchise, trying to force it to be something it's not, and now it seems they're completely aimless on this third movie. I have no idea what we're going to end up with at this point.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1778 on: January 22, 2015, 06:54:22 AM »
Pegg may be a comic actor but he can definitely write.
He can definitely write comic stuff.  I have no reason to believe he can write Star Trek.

I think I'm done with Star Trek movies.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: January 22, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
I think the opposite.  Yes I agree that Star Trek has always been story driven.  The rating for the last TV show and the movie franchises were doing so poorly that they needed a different approach.  Trek fans cringe but it's the truth.  I myself hope out of this that the newer movies lead to a TV show again where they can concentrate on the storyline again and let the movies be the action films to draw the non Trek fans in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1780 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:56 AM »
I think they should do away with movies altogether.  Star Trek is built for TV. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1781 on: January 22, 2015, 07:10:49 AM »
I think the opposite.  Yes I agree that Star Trek has always been story driven.  The rating for the last TV show and the movie franchises were doing so poorly that they needed a different approach.  Trek fans cringe but it's the truth.  I myself hope out of this that the newer movies lead to a TV show again where they can concentrate on the storyline again and let the movies be the action films to draw the non Trek fans in.

My greatest fear is that anyone from the new movies is involved in any new TV show. There was a rumour a little while ago about Orci being involved with a new Trek series set in the new universe, which is the worst case scenario.
The later TNG movies and Enterprise did poorly because they were not great. It's not like the masses were rejecting high quality scifi here. TV is currently starved for some good scifi, and there are so many talented people who could make it happen. I'd actually love to see Simon Barry in charge of a new series. I'd nerd out big time at that. :blob:

I think they should do away with movies altogether.  Star Trek is built for TV. 

I've always agreed with that. Star Trek has always worked best on television, as a lot of scifi does imo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1782 on: January 22, 2015, 07:17:26 AM »
Let's hope that the newer interest again in Start Trek leads to a TV show and we discuss it's meters then.  At least I'm hoping for that.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1783 on: January 22, 2015, 07:40:14 AM »
Let's hope that the newer interest again in Start Trek leads to a TV show and we discuss it's meters then.  At least I'm hoping for that.
Yeah, but the new interest isn't in what Star Trek has always been.  The interest is in big-budget action sci-fi films, that are Star Trek in name only.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1784 on: January 22, 2015, 07:48:20 AM »
Doesn't mean it won't peak those dummy executives on TV.  I for one want another TV show.  It's long overdue.