Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256779 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #1050 on: April 06, 2014, 07:46:18 PM »
EDIT: What's funny, I personally never considered young Anakin to be nearly as bad as fucking Hayden Christensen. Holy shit, that guy is absolutely incapable of acting.
Definitely. I never really hated JL because of his acting. I hated the character, his characterization and what it did to Star Wars. If E1TPM had been worth a fuck he wouldn't have bothered me much. HC was just a thoroughly detestable person in all regards.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: April 06, 2014, 08:01:57 PM »
Wesley Crusher > Jake Lloyd Anakin > Hayden Christensen Anakin.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1052 on: April 06, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
If you watch any videos, Jake Lloyd is so bitter about his role in Star Wars. :lol I saw a video at a recent convention, and someone was asking him questions about his role in Star Wars, and he acted like he was really offended by being asked anything, as if he didn't realize he was only there because 15 years ago he was in Star Wars, and not because we care about all of the great things happening in his life right now. :P

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1053 on: April 06, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
Oh wow, I just watched whatever the first YT video that comes up under his name. Wow, he seems like a bitter loser, sorry. The kinda guy who can only be snarky and because of it has no friends.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: April 06, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
I just checked Youtube, and that first video is the exact same one I saw. I don't know how you could even be a guest at a con with that attitude. I bet the promoters regretted that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1055 on: April 06, 2014, 09:57:05 PM »
Apparently he was just tormented mercilessly because of that. It also destroyed any career he might have had afterward since he was typecast. Add to that I don't think he even wanted to be an actor anyway. Still, it just goes to show what a down to Earth guy WW must be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:14 AM »
Compared to that video - Wil Wheaton is a saint.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1057 on: April 07, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
The thing is, while I can see that highschool would have been rough, once you're in college you get a completely fresh start. If you're still having problems with your past 15 years later, that's your problem, not somebody else's.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1058 on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:01 AM »
Still, people are a-holes.  They needed to go after Lucas, not some little kid who had crappy lines fed to him.  But like you said, the kid needs to get over it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: April 07, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »
So, Episode 7 has begun filming...

.. oh wait, wrong thread.

So, Star Trek 3 has begun scripting.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1060 on: April 12, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
I watched Into Darkness today. I think that if I didn't know anything about Star Trek other than the 2009 film, I would have really enjoyed it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: April 12, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
I watched Into Darkness today. I think that if I didn't know anything about Star Trek other than the 2009 film, I would have really enjoyed it.

Can we get a new thread yet ?

Request " The United Threaderation Of Planets "

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1062 on: April 12, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
I had pretty much the exact opposite reaction. It was mostly the passing familiarity with ST that made me not hate it. I just don't much care for that style of filmmaking, so it's really only the characters that I can appreciate. Now, if I didn't know anything about TWoK I would have enjoyed it much more, as the ripoff aspect really dampened me on it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: April 12, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
With into darkness I found I didn't get the same euphoria as 2009 BUT I can watch it repeatedly unlike 2009 which I can only watch every once in a while.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1064 on: April 13, 2014, 04:23:47 AM »
I had pretty much the exact opposite reaction.
I don't think so.

Now, if I didn't know anything about TWoK I would have enjoyed it much more, as the ripoff aspect really dampened me on it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1065 on: April 13, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »
A totally random thought occurred to me today: So, TNG plays in the 24th century. That's about 400 years in the future. Now, if you look at the English language from 400 years ago, that's early 17th century, the time of Shakespeare. The pronunciation has shifted so much (check out this video: https://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s ), people in the 24th century would likely to be incomprehensible to us.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: April 13, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
A totally random thought occurred to me today: So, TNG plays in the 24th century. That's about 400 years in the future. Now, if you look at the English language from 400 years ago, that's early 17th century, the time of Shakespeare. The pronunciation has shifted so much (check out this video: https://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s ), people in the 24th century would likely to be incomprehensible to us.

Which wouldn't make for very fun viewing, would it? :lol
Much like all aliens speaking with US accents, I just accept they're using the universal translator for the viewer's benefit. :P

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1067 on: April 13, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
I still think that in that Voyager episode with Jason Alexander, Janeway should have made a comment at the end, something like: "Man, sometimes the choice of pronunciation of the universal translator is peculiar, to say the least. It gave Kurros the voice of a 20th century New Yorker."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1068 on: April 14, 2014, 07:08:14 AM »
I still think that in that Voyager episode with Jason Alexander, Janeway should have made a comment at the end, something like: "Man, sometimes the choice of pronunciation of the universal translator is peculiar, to say the least. It gave Kurros the voice of a 20th century New Yorker."

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: April 14, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »
I was watching " The Royale " and I realised that between Data, Worf and Troi - you've got an almost perfect away team.

Troi can sense if a character is keeping secrets or being deceitful,

Worf has the brute strength and combat abilities should they encounter hostiles.

Data has incredible computational and processing abilities plus can access almost any electronic device and over ride it AND his incredible strength.

All you'd need then is a mediator like Picard who's chief skill is to resolve disputes.

All that's missing from that perfect combo is a Q like being - who, when all else fails FUCK IT :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1070 on: April 14, 2014, 12:04:42 PM »
I think Data could handle the combat aspect better than Worf and he wouldn't be wrong every time he thinks, acts or speaks. Worf was only ever useful because the stories were written with that in mind. The only time he was ever an asset was when his knowledge of Klingon culture and customs was useful. Otherwise he was probably a liability more often than not.

Was there ever an instance that didn't involve other Klingons where they though "man, thank God we had Worf along with us!"
E.F. Benson

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1071 on: April 14, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
Worf gets denied again and again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

Worf gets owned again and again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXrlhN9rPoc

Poor Mr. Woof.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1072 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Worf is an hilarious character. Just the thought of a warrior like him being reduced to taking orders subserviently aboard a peaceful cruise liner :lol

It's as if Ghengis Khan was head of security aboard the QE2.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: April 14, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »
Worf gets denied again and again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edflm7Hh3hs

" Sir, this may be out only chance...."

".............................................no. "

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1074 on: April 14, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
Worf is an hilarious character. Just the thought of a warrior like him being reduced to taking orders subserviently aboard a peaceful cruise liner :lol

It's so sad.  He was supposed to represent how the Federation and the Klingon Empire were now allies, blah blah blah, but even the other Klingons gave him shit about it.  Like, every time.  And he had to bear it all while trying to keep his dignity and a straight face, and I honestly felt sorry for him sometimes.

That gold sash looked kinda cool, actually, but then we soon find out that no other Klingon ever wears one, and the other Klingons gave him shit about that, too.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1075 on: April 14, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
He probably figured he could wear his Homecoming sash, and everybody would think it's some glorious battle trophy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1076 on: April 14, 2014, 02:28:22 PM »
Something like that.  In the pilot, they make a point of how it not part of the standard Star Fleet uniform, but Worf can wear it because it's such a special deal, how he's the first Klingon to be a bridge officer, etc.  I assumed it was some kind of special Klingon thing that they'd allowed him to wear (imperfect analogy: when a Cub Scout achieves the Arrow of Light, the highest award, he gets to wear it on his Boy Scout uniform).  But the first time other Klingons see it, they laugh at him and say "what the *%# is that?"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1077 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »

It's so sad.  He was supposed to represent how the Federation and the Klingon Empire were now allies, blah blah blah, but even the other Klingons gave him shit about it.  Like, every time.  And he had to bear it all while trying to keep his dignity and a straight face, and I honestly felt sorry for him sometimes.

That gold sash looked kinda cool, actually, but then we soon find out that no other Klingon ever wears one, and the other Klingons gave him shit about that, too.
Interestingly, I stumbled across the Memory-Alpha page on Klingon baldrics the other day. Actually most noteworthy Klingons wore them (as well as Andorians, apparently). They were normally just hard to notice. They tended to be more narrow and often blended in with the rest of their uniform.

Kang and K'mpec wore pretty prominent ones:

Most of the time they were more subtle, like Martok's:

And when other Klingons laugh at it, it's usually because they don't view him as a real Klingon or they're ragging on him for his non-existent house.

Here's plenty of other Klingons with baldrics:

https://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Baldric
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1078 on: April 14, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »

What I think when I hear "Baldric".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1079 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
I always think of this knucklehead.

E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1080 on: April 14, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
I sit corrected.  Twice in one day.  Must be a Monday.  :(

Also, Kang was cool.  I always liked him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: April 14, 2014, 03:46:53 PM »
I always think of this knucklehead.

Is that Henry Gibson ?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1082 on: April 14, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Is that Henry Gibson ?
According to IMDB it is, although I'd honestly never heard of him outside of being the head Illinois Nazi. Turns out he played a Ferengi once.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: April 14, 2014, 04:54:45 PM »
He's usually in Joe Dante films. He's in Gremlins and Innerspace.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1084 on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
Don't forget the epic Judge Clark Brown in Boston Legal!

Greetings...
Nef