Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256333 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »
Nah, that's far more applicable to Sisko. In Riker's case, it was a lack of character, until I noticed that even he had far more than anybody else on the show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
I really hated Riker at first.

Admit it; it was the lack of beard, wasn't it?

Riker became at least 47% more badass with the beard.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »
Well at least they have an in-universe tech reason for it and don't just dismiss it like other inferior shows would.

If that's a dig at Stargate, imma hunt you down and force you to watch it on repeat! (another example where I just have to accept the contrivance for the sake of fitting any sort of story into 45 minutes)

besides - Worf *must* be speaking English for those times when he says a Klingon word to describe a situation and it isn't translated :lol

There are plenty of similar situations that just don't work. And we know for a fact that the Ferengi of the show can't speak a lick of English from Little Green Men (which is a pretty neat episode too).

Aside from the first movie - I've never seen any Stargate.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
There are plenty of similar situations that just don't work. And we know for a fact that the Ferengi of the show can't speak a lick of English from Little Green Men (which is a pretty neat episode too).
Watched this last night, coincidentally. Silly but entertaining. Interesting that throughout all of the Ferengi gibberish you still heard the word oomax, which is the one Ferengi word everybody knows.  :lol

However, I thought that was a serious undermining of the UT. They suggest that they're placed inside everybody's ear, yet apparently only one person needs it for two way communication. Fixing the one in Quark's ear automatically makes humans capable of understanding his speech. Like plenty of ST tech, it was better when it was left vague and unexplained.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2013, 09:37:41 PM »
Watched this last night, coincidentally. Silly but entertaining. Interesting that throughout all of the Ferengi gibberish you still heard the word oomax, which is the one Ferengi word everybody knows.  :lol

However, I thought that was a serious undermining of the UT. They suggest that they're placed inside everybody's ear, yet apparently only one person needs it for two way communication. Fixing the one in Quark's ear automatically makes humans capable of understanding his speech. Like plenty of ST tech, it was better when it was left vague and unexplained.

As bad as that is, they've established a few other times that only one side of the conversation needs the universal translator (I can think of examples from at least DS9 and Voyager), so at least it's consistently wrong.

Considering how flawed the tech is to begin with, I'm willing to mostly overlook the issue, given that it's rarely brought up except for times like this when it serves the plot. I agree it was better left vague and unexplained due to the problems, more of a "there's an explanation, but we're not gonna explain it", but I'm not too bothered by it either.

There are bigger problems with the concept of the translator. Translating in real-time simply would not work, given sentence structure variation between languages. And there's the inconsistency of certain words remaining in native language seemingly selectively. And as mentioned earlier, the whole idea of seeing the mouth move in a different language. And the one that bothers me the most is when you see the translator dealing with an entirely new language, where it's a matter of the universal translator hearing the language for just a few minutes and calculating a "translation matrix" and then suddenly it knows the whole language. Again, I know the translator has to move at the speed of plot, but the concept of a translator calculating a formula to instantly recognize new words such as nouns that have never been used before is ridiculous. It could pick up basic syntax and common words quickly, but there's a realistic limit there.

I've always been a tech man when it comes to scifi, so it's a bit of a double edged sword for me when they deal with the universal translator. On one hand, I do prefer to see the tech side acknowledged, and get an idea for the "rules" the show works within, but on the other hand, it does bother me when things aren't internally consistent like that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2013, 10:47:10 PM »
I work on realtime translation software for work actually, so it's kinda interesting to see you guys discuss this :lol
But yes, many inherent issues with a UT. Different word orders in languages dictate a minimum latency in translation. As an example, there is a much-hated-by-foreigners feature of German where you leave the verb to the very end of the sentence. E.g. "I have the apple that was on the table, the one bought yesterday ... eaten." Since English syntax requires the verb to appear much earlier, you can't start the English translation before you heard the last German word.
The only thing that would work would be a device that scans the brain of the speaker and utters the translation straight from the thought, v not through the spoken part.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2013, 10:51:25 PM »
I didn't know that about German. :lol But I know a lot of languages place the adjective after the noun, rather than before, which creates a similar problem on a smaller scope.

And that's human languages on the same planet. Who knows how much variation an entirely alien language would have?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
Let alone completely untranslatable terms, like a cultural practice like "Ramadan". English was just forced to take the Arabic word wholesale because there was no possible English translation for it.
Martin Luther decided to use the Germanic term "hell" as a translation of Hades, and thus introduced Norse mythology aspects into Christianity.
So yeah, to a good degree translation is an unsolvable problem.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »
I work on realtime translation software for work actually, so it's kinda interesting to see you guys discuss this :lol
But yes, many inherent issues with a UT. Different word orders in languages dictate a minimum latency in translation. As an example, there is a much-hated-by-foreigners feature of German where you leave the verb to the very end of the sentence. E.g. "I have the apple that was on the table, the one bought yesterday ... eaten." Since English syntax requires the verb to appear much earlier, you can't start the English translation before you heard the last German word.
The only thing that would work would be a device that scans the brain of the speaker and utters the translation straight from the thought, v not through the spoken part.

I took a year of German in highschool and this is one of the things that always tripped me up.

One of the things that I liked about Enterprise is where they tried to show how the UT was first coming into use and how they struggled with it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
Let alone completely untranslatable terms, like a cultural practice like "Ramadan". English was just forced to take the Arabic word wholesale because there was no possible English translation for it.

And then there are language specific idioms, and puns/wordplay that just don't translate. I watch enough foreign sub-titled movies to know how much of a pain in the ass translation can be even when it doesn't need to be done in realtime. :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2013, 11:18:25 PM »
A long time ago I translated a German movie's subtitles into English so I could show it to my American friends. What a pain that was. So many things just didn't work in English.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
I had a 3 hour long Indian movie that I loved, but had absolutely awful subtitles, so I had to figure out what the heck they meant from a couple of different subtitle sources (one that was good, but very shortened to be quicker to read, and another source that was a directly literal translation but made no sense at all), and redo the whole thing. And I don't know Indian! That was a huge pain in the ass.

And it was a comedy, with a lot of word play that had no working translation. I could tell what the joke was, but there was just no way to make it work in another language. Apparently their phrase for turning on the TV translates literally as something like "drop the TV", which was a required part of the joke of the scene.

Even as a manual process, translating is difficult, because you're translating more than just words. When people speak a language, they're speaking within the confines of a specific cultural context, which includes assumed knowledge and familiarity that can't be translated automatically on the fly as the universal translator would imply.

It's exactly the point in the TNG episode Darmok. Even completely understanding the words, the meaning of the words was lost due to necessary assumed knowledge and cultural understanding.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2013, 02:58:50 AM »
TL;DR : it's just a quick fix for allowing all aliens to speak english :P

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »
I am actually speaking Rigelian.  By an astonishing coincidence, both of our languages are exactly the same.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2013, 07:29:39 AM »
I recognise that ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:19 AM »
I recognise that ?

The Simpsons, Treehouse of Horror, when Kang and Kudos abduct the Simpsons.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2013, 08:09:47 AM »

Even as a manual process, translating is difficult, because you're translating more than just words. When people speak a language, they're speaking within the confines of a specific cultural context, which includes assumed knowledge and familiarity that can't be translated automatically on the fly as the universal translator would imply.

It's exactly the point in the TNG episode Darmok. Even completely understanding the words, the meaning of the words was lost due to necessary assumed knowledge and cultural understanding.

As frustrating as it is, that's one of the things I love about languages in general.   It is fascinating.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Yeah, it's best not to think about the specifics of the UT. It really just makes no sense whatsoever.

BTW, the show to best work around this issue was Farscape. Just simple and effective.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
In Enterprise there was always a delay, where Hoshi would say that the UT hadn't had time to figure stuff out yet. That seems pretty reasonable. I suspect there's a data set that you could assemble which would be sufficient for a computer to learn English, for example. Certainly a computer 200 years from now. Probably fit on a floppy disk. A dictionary and 15-20 sentences demonstrating some syntax. "The boy is playing with the red ball." That sort of stuff. You transmit that, they transmit theirs, and after a minute or two the UTs have it all figured out. This seems pretty reasonable. Sometimes it make take longer. ST just treated the whole thing like magic. The aforementioned DS9 episode demonstrated that pretty damned well.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Trek: The United Threaderation of Planets
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2013, 05:49:08 PM »
Petition to change the thread title to

" Star Trek: The United Threaderation of Planets "

:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »
"Star Trek, and Thread. On DTF."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »

Nice.

In Enterprise there was always a delay, where Hoshi would say that the UT hadn't had time to figure stuff out yet. That seems pretty reasonable. I suspect there's a data set that you could assemble which would be sufficient for a computer to learn English, for example. Certainly a computer 200 years from now. Probably fit on a floppy disk. A dictionary and 15-20 sentences demonstrating some syntax. "The boy is playing with the red ball." That sort of stuff. You transmit that, they transmit theirs, and after a minute or two the UTs have it all figured out. This seems pretty reasonable. Sometimes it make take longer. ST just treated the whole thing like magic. The aforementioned DS9 episode demonstrated that pretty damned well.

Enterprise did it well, because it only came through as text, and was completely feasible, and required more manual imput, which made Hoshi's job on the ship more useful (although they still wasted her).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2013, 06:22:40 AM »

Won't change this one, but remind me in 2500 replies or so.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2013, 06:32:58 AM »
If there was one character on TNG that didn't need to be there - it was Troi.

She did next to nothing except sense stuff or get mind raped :lol

She almost never went on away missions and they barely ever showed her counselling anyone.

Even in the films she was just sort of there in the background.

Nothing against Marina in any way but it's like they didn't really know what to do with her week after week.

If Troi was in her quarters - and she looked in the mirror - shit was about to happen.  :rollin

She barely even had any character arc either.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2013, 06:50:13 AM »
She was very pretty...   :coolio
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
She made a fine cake
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »
Good Tea.

... Nice House.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2013, 09:55:59 PM »
Trying to watch the episode where Data hooks up with that ensign. Ugh, painful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2013, 04:57:56 AM »
I hate any episode of anything where it's a "romance" story.

The one where Riker falls for that androgynous alien is pretty poor too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2013, 05:06:01 AM »
I hate any episode of anything where it's a "romance" story.

The one where Riker falls for that androgynous alien is pretty poor too.

That episode was easily one of my least favourite TNG episodes. Give me a CG space whale or spacial anomaly any day.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2013, 05:17:49 AM »
" But I love you ! "

:lol it's a genderless alien - two reasons right there that this can never happen.

It was like it was trying to cram all of Star Trek's values into a single episode.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2013, 07:29:06 AM »
I found that episode kinda weird and awkward, but interesting.  As I saw it, the idea was to completely separate love from gender.  Sure, some of it was metaphor for homosexual rights, but if you can't take it to the next step in science fiction, where else can you take it?  So the next step is exploring how people totally without gender would experience love.

In our culture, emotional love is always tied up with physical love.  I think one of the main points of that episode was that it doesn't have to be.  Why should it be that asexual people cannot experience monogamous, emotional love?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »
I've also noticed that "impulse speed" is also " whatever the script requires. "

It's never stated explicitly how fast impulse is...It's either slow when you need it to be slow or fast but not warp 1. :P

Full impulse is either half of warp 1 or when in starbase it's manouvering speed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
It's not consistent at all.  There's a TNG episode where Picard says "Ahead, full impulse" and Geordi (who's at the helm) replies "Aye, ahead warp 6".  There's other times when it's implied, if not stated outright, that "warp" is hyperlight and "impulse" is sublight.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
Yes exactly. I looked it up online and it's inconsistent across all Trek.

It can either mean Half of Warp 1 or very very slow depending on the situation.

Other times they even use "k/ph" . I assume that must mean infinitesimally slow for The Enterprise.