Author Topic: The Official Muse Thread  (Read 8429 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Muse Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2010, 09:31:25 PM »
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
If I knew how to make .gifs, I would make one. :eyebrows: :neverusethis:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
Seeing them tonight. (in 5 hours)  :hat Same venue as last time (it's a stadium) and they freaking rocked it.

This was the setlist in Sydney

Uprising 
Resistance 
New Born 
Map of the Problematique 
Supermassive Black Hole 
Hysteria 
(Interlude Intro + Back In Black Outro)
Nishe 
Citizen Erased 
(dedicated to Julian Assange from Wikileaks)
United States Of Eurasia 
(Collateral Damage intro)
Sunburn 
Helsinki Jam 
Undisclosed Desires 
Time Is Running Out 
(House of the Rising Sun intro)
Starlight 
Plug In Baby 

Encore:
Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 1: Overture 
Stockholm Syndrome 
Knights of Cydonia

I wish they'd play Space Dementia  :'( But it's still a solid set.  :smiley:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »
Yeah I saw them at Wembley Stadium back in September and the setlist was fantastic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14:48 AM »
I searched to find this thread and decided I'm gonna try bringing it back to life. I'v yet to hear 2nd Law, so I'm not gonna post on that one. Plus this is the Official Muse thread ;)

I remember hearing a lot of complain about how DTs influences can be really obvious in their music, especially when 8VM came out. I even remember people saying Muse could easily win a lawsuit against them.

But that would never happen because Muse also have VERY obvious influences that can be heard on a lot of their songs. Like Queen, Radiohead, just to name the obvious. But it's cool because Muse also has an incredibly unique sound. They shouldn't make such obvious references to these bands in their music because when they do, it sticks out a lot.

Anyways, I don't think Muse is that great tbh. They have a lot of variety in their music when you pay attention, but at the same times it's like they have very little variety at all......anyone know what I mean?

I think Absolution really help put them out into the mainstream, and then Black Holes sent them into space! So i can see why they stick to their style so closely. But at the same time I'd rather see them branch out in their music. When I listen to some of their recent albums, it feels like the music was written in a rush. It probably wasn't, but it feels that way.

Those are just my 2 cents. They've been compared to Radiohead. But unlike Radiohead, they have yet to TRUELY evolve. And they're like 5 or 6 albums in already.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2014, 02:54:00 AM »
They've been compared to Radiohead. But unlike Radiohead, they have yet to TRUELY evolve. And they're like 5 or 6 albums in already.
I was sort of with you, but this is just wrong. Muse moved away from the Radiohead sound immediately after their first album, and the bands are nothing like each other now. Muse definitely have a lot of variety in their music, which is one of the things I dig about them.

Unrelated, but an article a couple of days ago talked about Muse working on their next album, and how the sound is going to be heavier again and moving away from the pop/electronic influences in their recent albums: https://www.teamrock.com/news/2014-07-30/muse-are-gonna-get-heavy-vows-bellamy

Could be interesting!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2014, 01:17:54 AM »
I'v heard a couple songs of their last album. The song Maddness is really really great. I'v also listened to one of the songs where the bass player does vocals. I'm not saying they should not do that, but i find it odd. Because the one i heard sound very, VERY different from Muse. Guess that goes against what i said above, but oh well.

It's also odd because i think there are a ton of people who wouldnt even recognize it as Muse if they didn't know. The main reason is because Matt is THE voice of Muse. I just find it....weird, but at the same time there is nothing wrong with it. Hmmmm......

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2014, 08:25:19 AM »
IMO, even though it definitely is very Queen-ish, Big Freeze is by far the best song from the last album.  I could listen to that song all day. :coolio

Offline NotePad

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »
I know Portnoy is a huge Muse fan, and so is JP. Labrie does a great Matt Bellamy impersonation a of Panic Attack and Never Enough. And I'm assuming the other DT guys are Muse fans too. I wonder if the Muse guys are fans of DT.

Anyone know if the Muse guys have ever talked about Dream Theater? Have they ever acknowledged the influence they've had of DT? I'm quite curious to know what their opinions are on Never Enolugh, a song that goes far beyond what should be called a mere influence.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:38 PM »
So, after noticing this thread some time ago I remembered I had to listen to Muse, since the few times I've heard their music I liked pretty much everything. Just listened through the whole of The Resistance and I'm now halfway through 2nd Law. Wow, I really love this shit!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
I was listening to Showbiz for the first time in years the other night and found myself liking it much more than I remember. I still think the title track is one of their best tunes though.

Might give Origin Of Symmetry a go as well. I like that one, but it's been years since I heard it.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
You can hear a definite Flying Colors influence in these guys' sound

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
:lol

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »
:rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »

:lol  :clap:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC