Author Topic: Zebra  (Read 922 times)

Offline frogprog

Zebra
« on: August 17, 2023, 06:35:49 AM »
 Just saw that Zebra will be playing at the Keswick Theater in November. I used to dig them back in the day and am entertaining getting tix. Curious as to whether anyone has seen them live recently and how they sounded? Specifically, all those high vocals?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Zebra
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 07:16:23 AM »
Saw them at Rosfest in 2018?  Randy sounded great hitting all the falsetto high notes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 08:09:16 AM »
That debut is a sometimes forgotten gem.

Saw a dude - couldn't be more than 18, 19 - at a local open mic wearing a Zebra t-shirt; I meant to ask him if he's a fan (but he left with his mom before I could).

Offline frogprog

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 08:56:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will grab some tix. Yes, that first album was great!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 12:02:00 PM »
(but he left with his mom before I could).

Wait… you were gonna leave with his mom?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 12:05:46 PM »
I've been curious about this band ever since hearing the DT cover on the Black Clouds bonus disc.

I'll be checking them our shortly!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 12:29:15 PM »
I remember hearing "Who's Behind the Door" on MTV back in 1983.  I think I went out and bought a 45 of the song (not the full album).  I think the only other song I ever heard was "Tell Me What You Want," and then they basically faded from my awareness.  I think I listened to the DT cover maybe once when I bought BC&SL.

All that said, a friend of mine in my office and I have been going to a bunch of shows lately.  He has a business contact/friend who goes to TONS of shows at The Coach House in south Orange County, and Zebra will be playing there sometime soon.  They got me a ticket, so I may be going to see them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 12:30:43 PM »
  I think I listened to the DT cover maybe once when I bought BC&SL.

James did a phenomenal job on that song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 01:50:41 PM »

:tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 02:10:19 PM »
Zebra -- the band that Queensryche opened for as their first two shows ever...and absolutely wiped the floor with. (Portland and Seattle.) Kim Harris, QR's manager back them, said the crowd was so wild for Queensryche in Portland, that Zebra didn't want to go on for the second show.  :lol

Still, I have always heard about Zebra, but never checked them out seriously. I will later today. Why not.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2023, 03:33:07 PM »

TBF, I thought they did a great job with Stargazer and To Tame a Land (my favorite songs by those bands), but I've only listened to those covers two or three times.  I'm listening to "Take Your Fingers from My Hair" right now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2023, 03:42:44 PM »

:lol

Zerbra is one of those bands you love or hate. I love these dudes, Randy is an extremely underrated guitarist and singer. Wait Until The Summer's Gone kicks ass! Nice solo.... Speaking of solos, where has Kade been?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 05:07:29 PM »

TBF, I thought they did a great job with Stargazer and To Tame a Land (my favorite songs by those bands), but I've only listened to those covers two or three times.  I'm listening to "Take Your Fingers from My Hair" right now.

My problem with To Tame A Land is that it wasn't recorded during the BC&SL sessions, so it doesn't have the vocal performance that the others do.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 06:58:13 AM »
IMO Zebra is a nice blend of Moving Pictures era Rush and Led Zeppelin if that helps anybody.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2023, 07:27:40 AM »
IMO Zebra is a nice blend of Moving Pictures era Rush and Led Zeppelin if that helps anybody.

They remind me a little of Triumph, but that may be because my first exposure to both bands was K-Tel's compilation album, White Hot: Masters of Metal, which included Zebra's "Tell Me What You Want" and Triumph's "Lay It on the Line"

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2023, 09:51:44 AM »
So, I just put on my first Zebra album. Put on Spotify, I saw they had Zebra Live from 1990. Here we go...

Update 1:

I am in the middle of "Take Your Fingers From My Hair." So far, so great. I really am enjoying the album. Totally a Zepp/Triumph vibe and I'm into it. If the rest of this live album continues to get me goin', I'll be buying the band's limited discography. More at the end...

Update 2:

I'm at the end of "Who's Behind the Door." Add a bit of a Rush and Whitesnake feel to these guys as well. I'm sold.

Just picked up the first three studio albums redone by Rock Candy, and then this live album. It appears that Zebra IV is insanely hard to find.

But a new Zebra fan here! Looking forward to diving into the first three records when they get here. Rock Candy always does a great job with the liner notes too.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 10:50:16 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
Interestingly, when I heard Dream Theater for the very first time way back when around 2000/2001, the first thing that popped into my head was Zebra.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2023, 08:33:00 PM »
Just saw that Zebra will be playing at the Keswick Theater in November. I used to dig them back in the day and am entertaining getting tix. Curious as to whether anyone has seen them live recently and how they sounded? Specifically, all those high vocals?

Love Zebra, but it's been about 20 years since I've seen them live. Watched a lot of live You Tube  videos since. I love the first album and I love the next two as well.  IV is pretty good too and they do play a few from that one. Randy hasn't lost much in the vocal department from what I'm able to determine. Tempo might be a bit slower these days, but that's to be expected. Seems like they only play a handful of shows a year.

I doubt it will sell out so I'll likely wait until close to showtime.  The draw for me isn't hearing the whole first album. I'd go for the rest of the set too.

The first three albums and the live albums are always in regular rotation.  Listened to the King Biscuit show a few weeks ago.