Author Topic: DT and the bills $$  (Read 5646 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: DT and the bills $$
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
OK, I don't actually know much about KISS, however, now that you mention it, I remember learning that Simmons was a "good boy", but my comments still stand in relation to the rest of those guys.

:tup No objections there, just wanted to clear that one up, being a KISS fan. Of all the criticisms of Gene Simmons you could make, being bad with money isn't one of them. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »
I doubt very seriously that Axl is worth 150 million.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »

If he ever earned that much, he probably wasted it all recording Chinese Democracy. :lol

I agree that sounds pretty dubious though. I'm sure he's made a comfortable living from royalties over the years, but there's no way he's currently worth that much. You don't usually make $150m from doing nothing for 20 years.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »

*PYRAMID SNIP*

OK, I don't actually know much about KISS, however, now that you mention it, I remember learning that Simmons was a "good boy", but my comments still stand in relation to the rest of those guys.

My grandmother met Gene Simmons waaay back in the day. He had family who lived next door to my grandmother's ex husband's family and were good friends with eachother. She described him to me as  "a very well behaved polite young man"
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »

If he ever earned that much, he probably wasted it all recording Chinese Democracy. :lol

I agree that sounds pretty dubious though. I'm sure he's made a comfortable living from royalties over the years, but there's no way he's currently worth that much. You don't usually make $150m from doing nothing for 20 years.

While I'm inclined to agree that he's not worth that much, Guns N Roses songs from their first 3 albums get played on modern rock and classic rock radio stations all the time. Remember radio?  ;) They're still around, and still give out royalties. Sweet Child O' Mine is the most overplayed song in the last 25 years, beating out Smells Like Teen Spirit and that Puddle of Mudd song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »

While I'm inclined to agree that he's not worth that much, Guns N Roses songs from their first 3 albums get played on modern rock and classic rock radio stations all the time. Remember radio?  ;) They're still around, and still give out royalties. Sweet Child O' Mine is the most overplayed song in the last 25 years, beating out Smells Like Teen Spirit and that Puddle of Mudd song.

Oh yeah, and that's why I mentioned royalties, because GNR have been coasting on the success and strength of that album ever since with total ease (and if I could release an album that amazing, I'd be content to coast too).
But would it be $150m worth for just one member? I doubt it.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »

Oh yeah, and that's why I mentioned royalties, because GNR have been coasting on the success and strength of that album ever since with total ease (and if I could release an album that amazing, I'd be content to coast too).

I don't know. I'm not aware of how much one gets for music royalties. But if I think their songs are overplayed on NYC radio stations, it must also be played on countless radio stations across the country (and the world).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »

I don't know. I'm not aware of how much one gets for music royalties. But if I think their songs are overplayed on NYC radio stations, it must also be played on countless radio stations across the country (and the world).

I don't have any clue either. Their music is still very popular here, as I assume it is across all of the US too, but still I can't imagine band royalty checks could be that generous.