Author Topic: The Into Eternity Thread  (Read 3266 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
The Into Eternity Thread
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »
Wherein we discuss all things pertaining to Into Eternity.

I know there are other fans here, make yourselves known!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: The Into Eternity Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
Guyz. I know you're out there.

guys?

:|

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:46:36 PM »
Dude, it's been an hour during midday.

I have three of their albums, but only ever listened to one, and only once.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
Dude, it's been an hour during midday.

I know. I'm just bored. :lol
I have three of their albums, but only ever listened to one, and only once.

Which one did you listen to?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
Hey!

So here are my thoughts on IE.

Their first two albums are pretty good, despite poor production and a vocalist who isn't bad, but doesn't have Stu's voice.

Scattering of Ashes is a pretty great album. Stu brings the band to a whole new level, but their song writing is starting to go into the "let's just be crazy" realm on this one.

Whatever the next one is just bored me. Stu hit some notes that pretty much made my balls recede, but the song writing was REALLY lacking. Some good melodies, riffs but it really felt chopped up. Like they recorded a bunch of random good ideas and just haphazardly pasted them together in pro tools without any concern for coherency or structure. Apparently it's become their style to do that? I dunno.

Whatever they released since then (if they have) I haven't heard. They hit their prime and passed it. The drummer just annoys me with his constantly trying to make things sound crazy when they needn't be, and their guitarists (though skilled) clearly have run out of ideas as most of them sound pretty much the same now. Same with vocal melodies, lots and lots of similar stuff throughout their albums.

Also their singer situation is weird. Stu is still the singer? But they got some chick for a live singer because Stu is too busy in IE for IE? Just confusing.

So in short, first three albums are good, but after that they clearly hit their creative wall and lost all of my interest.

However when I saw them open for DT back in the day they were pretty awesome.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
Scattering is my favorite too. I haven't heard all of The Incurable Tragedy (their fourth album) yet, but I like what I've heard. I'd agree that it's a step down from Scattering, though. They haven't released any albums past The Incurable Tragedy yet, but they have released a couple of songs.

The first was "Sandstorm" which they did two versions of, one with Stu on vocals, and the other with Tim Roth (the guitarist). They were both good, but I actually preferred Tim's version.

The other one was called "Fukushima" and to be honest, I don't like it at all.

On the singer front, I think what is happening is this: Stu is still in the band, and will sing on studio releases, but can't play live because of Iced Earth. Amanda Kiernan is their new live singer, but she will sing on the studio albums as well, making Into Eternity effectively something like a five-vocalist band.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
Pretty much what Adami said. Buried in Oblivion and The Scattering of Ashes are awesome (the latter being my favorite despite poor production, wish it had BiO's production sound, then it would be ten times more amazing, wow this is a long parenthesis sentence) but after that they went poop.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Yeah, production wasn't Scattering's strong point. Although, I don't think the production on Buried In Oblivion was that great either.

Have you heard Sandstorm yet? It's quite good.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »
fuck was I ever a fanboy back in the day. seen em over 30 times live during a 3-4 year period circa the dead or dreaming / buried in oblivion days. kinda eventually fell out of love for a number of reasons and went over 6 years sans seeing the home town heroes live until checking em out during one of Amanda's first shows w the band last year. basically, her addition rekindled my interest. not only did she deliver vocally, but I'm certain shes hotter in a corset than any of her bandmates could pull off.

i don't think there's been anything super official announced by the band, but my understanding is that stu's pretty much done as their singer (I'd be very surprised to hear him on the next album, maybe one guest spot if anything).

on another note, I have an extra large into eternity shirt I received as a gift circa 4 years ago that's never been worn (I'd probs fit into a medium)...I found out this spring that Tim Roth lives less than 50 yards from my house - I'm thinking of 'returning' the shirt in his mail box with a note about how I wouldn't be caught dead in an IE shirt.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:51:54 AM by pain of occupation »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »
Yeah, production wasn't Scattering's strong point. Although, I don't think the production on Buried In Oblivion was that great either.

Have you heard Sandstorm yet? It's quite good.

I think Buried in Oblivion's production is great. Have I heard Sandstorm? Yes, and that Fuka whatever. Didn't like either.

Blast beats on Scattering; CHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUBCHUB

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 02:35:41 AM »
Sandstorm is cool; Fukushima is nothing special although all my friends seem to worship it? Beats me?

There's a teeny tiny colony of IE fans in my hometown, because all of my friends who like Iced Earth threw themselves into Into Eternity albums as soon Stu joined the band. The Scattering Of Ashes is accepted as the colony's favorite album :lol The Incurable Tragedy (lol, TIT) has got some nice songs but it's really the same as the previous two albums, except weaker.

I'm not sure about their current arrangement; first they said Stu would be the exclusive studio singer and Amanda would be the live singer. Then it was about them sharing vocal duties. The latest updates I managed to find said that Stu would be recording backing vocals, but didn't seem to imply he'd have many significant lead vocal parts.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
I just listened to Fukushima to see if my opinion had changed.... it hasn't.

It seems to becoming more and more accepted around the Internet that Stu's mostly done with Into Eternity. It makes me a sad panda. :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
funny, there's a huge overlap between the years stu was in the band and the years i lost interest.

for me, going even as far back as danny nargang, the best singer in the band has always been tim. im not sure why hes so keen on pawning off vocal duties; his clean's are fantastic, and even better, his extreme/death vox are of a special sort of charm. they just jump out at you, and theyre so unique. (i dont know, maybe there's a ton of guy's that sing extreme vox like that and i just dont listen to enough death metal to be aware. if theres others, id sure like to hear em).

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
Stu is definitely my favorite, but Tim is really good, too. I think the other guitarist and the bassist contribute a fair amount of vocals as well, though I'm not very good at recognizing their voices.

EDIT: found this on FaceBook.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Introducing our new Lead singer Amanda Kiernan! Hailing from Edmonton/Alberta/Canada.

This was posted June 13th, so I guess that's it for Stu. :sadpanda:

WHY STU?!?! WHY?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:57:52 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
i know on DoD all 4 contributed vox and on BiO all 5 did, but i cant really say after that.
(at least i think all 5 on BiO...i know jim did some backing growls for DoD but less certain he did the same on BiO).

back to danny nargang, i think his presence on DoD is a big part of why i still think its their best to this day. i think they were about to get 'big', and he just wasnt interested in success/touring, its too bad.
um, 7 or 8 years back his new band opened at one of the local metal shows. this danny fronted 3 piece took to the stage, and i was very, VERY impressed. no death vox, just a mix of rock n prog with outstanding playing. they had a bit of a spastic Tool vibe. in fact, they even covered a track off Aenima (Pushit if my memory serves me correct).
anywayz, he musta realized how well they were received and got re-frightened of success, cuz im certain they never played another show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
I only have two albums, but I love them both.

I have never heard their first (self titled) one.   But Dead or Dreaming is AMAZING, and I really like Buried in Oblivion, but not quite as much.   I only heard a smattering of their fourth album The Scattering of Ashes, and I've been meaning to pick it up...I've just never gotten around to it.    I havn't heard anything from their fifth album The Incurable Tragedy. 

I saw them live with Stu when they were opening for Hammerfall and Edguy.  I met all the guys and had them sign my CD's.   They were really cool. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:05:06 PM »
Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about the self-titled. It's basically impossible to find. I still need to get Dead Or Dreaming, as well.

Definitely get Scattering Of Ashes, it's their best in my opinion.

Also, cool to see another Hammerfall fan. I figured there weren't many around here.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about the self-titled. It's basically impossible to find. I still need to get Dead Or Dreaming, as well.

Definitely get Scattering Of Ashes, it's their best in my opinion.

Also, cool to see another Hammerfall fan. I figured there weren't many around here.

Actually...I went to the show JUST to see IE.   I had never heard of Hammerfall before the show, but picked up Chapter V a few days before the show so I wouldn't be completely in the dark.

They are nice guys (met them as well) but it really felt like a Spinal Tap show.   It was really hard to take seriously.    I mean, I saw them hanging out before the show with sweats on.   Then they walked out on stage IN PLATE MAIL....    I actually had a lot of fun, but it was a bit ridiculous. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »
Oh. :sadpanda:

They are sort of ridiculous, but I think that's part of the fun. If you want to hear really ridiculous, though, check out Lost Horizon.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 02:38:19 AM »
If you want to hear really ridiculous, though, check out Lost Horizon.
Lost Horizon is absolutely the best (and the most ridiculous) strictly power metal band ever :metal

You know what I really hate? The fact there are no decent live vids of Into Eternity. All of the ones I've seen have really shitty sound which reflects especially bad on Tim/Stu vocal harmonies.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 03:40:11 AM »
I loved Buried in Oblivion back in the day. Scattering was good, but it started to sound a little too nu-metal for my tastes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »
I loved Buried in Oblivion back in the day. Scattering was good, but it started to sound a little too nu-metal for my tastes.
wat

I mean, it's your opinion, and I'm not going to tell you it's wrong, but I've never heard anything nu-metally in Scattering. I like nu-metal, so might be it.

You know what I really hate? The fact there are no decent live vids of Into Eternity. All of the ones I've seen have really shitty sound which reflects especially bad on Tim/Stu vocal harmonies.

Yeah, I've tried to find some with Amanda to see how she does, but it's really impossible. Hopefully they'll record some material with her soon so we can stop mourning for Stu.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
Hmm, Amanda sounds quite good there. Thanks for finding that, it gives me hope.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
Yeah, I have no doubt she'll do a fine job, since the dudes obviously know how to select a good vocalist, it's just that it'll take me forever to come to terms with the fact she's not Stu :lol

What I really hate, and what I noticed on various sites, is that people seem to bash her just because she's a girl. "Dees biatch/whore don't hold a candle to mah Stu" or "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PICKED A SHITTY GIRL I BET THEY JUST WANT PEOPLE TO FLOCK TO THEIR SHOWS TO LOOK AT HER BRB MASTURBATING" cowboys need to pipe the fuck doooown.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
You'd think more girls in metal would be a cause for celebration, but I suppose not. Those people make the rest of us sensible metalhead look ridiculous. Besides, I mean, she's good-looking, but they clearly didn't just pick some random hot girl.

Also, I heard they had to audition girls because there weren't any guys that could hit Stu's notes. :lol

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 01:22:35 AM »
You know what I really hate? The fact there are no decent live vids of Into Eternity...

i recorded a deadly half hour vid circa 11 years back. but im either too burnt out to convert/upload or im a greedy dick that wont share my treasure.

just dawned on me theyre playing a home town show on tuesday. if theyre desperate for an audience, i might indulge with my presence.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
You'd think more girls in metal would be a cause for celebration, but I suppose not. Those people make the rest of us sensible metalhead look ridiculous. Besides, I mean, she's good-looking, but they clearly didn't just pick some random hot girl.

Also, I heard they had to audition girls because there weren't any guys that could hit Stu's notes. :lol
Well it's always like that, everyone says "aw damn we need more chicks at gigs", and then when you do come they creep at you, "accidentally" brush against your ass or assume you're there because your boyfriend likes the band/plays in the band.

And yeah, she was the only person there who had a shot at replicating what Stu does :lol

You know what I really hate? The fact there are no decent live vids of Into Eternity...

i recorded a deadly half hour vid circa 11 years back. but im either too burnt out to convert/upload or im a greedy dick that wont share my treasure.

just dawned on me theyre playing a home town show on tuesday. if theyre desperate for an audience, i might indulge with my presence.
Well if you do go, make sure to let us know how it went :)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:09 PM »
Just found out they're headlining a show here in Albq. Pretty awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
You going? If so, make sure to tell us how it was.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
Interview with Tim Roth here. Pretty good interview, about thirty minutes. In case people don't have time to listen to it, here are some of the highlights.

new album almost finished
new album is about 50 minutes
album will be released in 2014
talks some about his influences (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Death Cynic, Obituary, he also mention really loving Dream Theater's I&W :D )
they are already working on the next album after this one

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 12:03:06 PM »
Whoa triple post/necropost! Anyway, at long last, THERE IS NEWS ABOUT THE NEW ALBUM

https://www.metalsucks.net/2015/06/15/into-eternity-finally-announce-new-album-their-first-in-seven-years/

At long last, we have some good news for you all! Our new album, Sirens, is completely finished and we couldn’t be happier with the results. We’re pleased to announce Into Eternity has inked a new record contract with Kolony Records! Thanks to Mr. Lorenzo Marchello for signing our band. Thank you to Joann, Amanda and the staff at Extreme Management Group for hammering out this new record deal for us. Thank you to our booking agent Rock the Nation U.S.A. for your support.
With these new compositions, fans can expect to go on an epic journey of music and vocal melodies intertwined with aggression. Some of our very best moments and melodies are going to be represented on this new record. We are excited for our friends and fans to hear it.

Haven't anything about the release date yet, but still, this is awesome news.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »
I only own DoD and BiO...both are incredible albums.   I couldn't have more respect for Roth for sticking to his guns and keeping this project together all these years.   But I have to admit that the revolving door lineups are getting pretty tiresome.    I mean, how many lead singers have they had now?  I'd be willing to bet that its more than any other band out there.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 06:28:37 PM »
Not... really? Chris Krall, then Stu, now Amanda.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 07:49:12 AM »
what about the lead singers on the first two albums?! or the dude post Chris & pre Stu that didn't even appear on an album (if I remember correctly).