Author Topic: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.  (Read 26568 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 34-32 Revealed.
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »
Elements is pretty good, but I tire of it quite easily when listening to the whole thing. Soul of a Vagabond and Elements are some of their best songs.

Still, nothing will ever top Dreamspace.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
Those 3 albums in the last update are all awesome.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »

31. “Awake” by Dream Theater (1994)
Favorite Tracks – Voices, The Mirror, Erotomania
Least Favorite Tracks – The Silent Man, Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

At one time, Awake was my favorite Dream Theater album. And while I still love it, I feel that the band has outdone it multiple times. When I first heard this album, I noted that it had a darker vibe than did Images & Words. Voices is the highlight of the album for me, as it is one of my favorite songs by anyone. I also love the Mirror, Erotomania, Scarred & Caught in a Web. The rest of the songs range from good to not so good. I feel that this album is James LaBrie’s best performance. He sounds incredible on many tracks, but I feel that the first three tracks, especially Innocence Faded are LaBrie at his very best.  The rest of the band sounds great, and in hindsight, Kevin Moore moving on was something that this band needed.

30. “Redemption” by Redemption (2003)
Favorite Tracks – Something Wicked This Way Comes, Window to Space, Desperation, Part I
Least Favorite Tracks – Nocturnal, As I Lay Dying

Coming in at #30 is a sadly overlooked and underrated progressive metal masterpiece, Redemption’s debut album. I discovered Redemption like many others when they toured with Dream Theater in 2007. At their merchandise stand, I was able to buy their other two albums. A few weeks later, I bought the self-titled online. I initially didn’t care for it, or the original singer, but with each listen, I grew to appreciate the music for how awesome it truly is. Nick Van Dyk is one hell of a composer, and even on this first album, the classic Redemption sound is intact. The first four tracks add up to a 20+ minute epic called Desperation. The album ends with another 20+ minute epic entitled Something Wicked This Way Comes. In between is a 13+ minute song and two shorter songs. This is now one of my favorite Redemption albums, and I find that I enjoy this album more and more as the years go by.

29. “Bridge Across Forever” by Transatlantic (2001)
Favorite Tracks – Duel With the Devil, Stranger in Your Soul, Suite Charlotte Pike
Least Favorite Tracks – Bridge Across Forever, Suite Charlotte Pike

I doubt that I need to offer much information about this supergroup or this incredible album on these forums, as these forums are the reason why I checked out Transatlantic to begin with. Bridge Across Forever is a triumph in progressive rock. I respect Neal Morse, but I’ve never heard a Spock’s Beard song that made me want to pursue their music. The same goes for the Flower Kings and Marillion. But put these three guys together with Mike Portnoy, and awe inspiring music ensues.  Duel With the Devil is 26+ minutes of progressive rock bliss. Same goes for the album closer, Stranger in Your Soul. The only thing that I regret about listening to this album is not listening to it sooner. Thanks DTF!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 31-29 Revealed.
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
Awake is pretty low but its presence is still appreciated by me :tup Also, as a KM fan I have to say parting ways was smart and necessary for both Kevin and DT.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
DoC, nice to see you posting, and am enjoying this thread. I agree, I don't like the 'one band per list' rule some people use.

Favorite Tracks – Duel With the Devil, Stranger in Your Soul, Suite Charlotte Pike

:-\
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
DoC, nice to see you posting, and am enjoying this thread. I agree, I don't like the 'one band per list' rule some people use.

:-\

Thanks buddy. Yeah, I was inactive for a while  :angel:

The one album per band isn't a bad thing. It allows users to brag about more of their favorite bands, which is a good. Thing. 

I've got a 3 fave and 2 least fave format..... so an album with 4 tracks ends up looking like that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2013, 07:15:47 PM »
While I agree that Redemption's debut is underrated and very under-appreciated, and although I love Rick Mythiasin on this album and in Steel Prophet I can't even fathom this being anywhere near a top 50 list. Pretty much every other album I'd have no issue with being here, and although I think this album gets discarded way too much it still is certainly the low point in the bunch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
Two great albums, and one decent one. I agree with Nick's comments completely on Redemption. Least favorite of their discography by far.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2013, 10:00:22 PM »
Nick Van Dyk doesn't even like the first album.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »
I do. 3 monster epics on one album? Yes please.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 05:12:49 AM »
I'm such a fan of Redemption, yet I've never checked out the debut, I should though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:53 AM »
I'm such a fan of Redemption, yet I've never checked out the debut, I should though.

If just to say you heard it once.   :D
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »
I like the ST Redemption album, despite the fact it's my least favorite Redemption album.

Bridge Across Forever is top 10 for me an will probably always be a top 1% album for me, and Awake isn't much further behind, probably in the second or third % (top 30 or so)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »

28. “Design Your Universe” by Epica (2009)
Favorite Tracks – Kingdom of Heaven (A New Day Dawns, Part V), Design Your Universe (A New Age Dawns, Part VI), Martyr of the Free Word
Least Favorite Tracks – White Waters, Deconstruct

Coming in at #28 is Epica’s fourth album Design Your Universe. Too people who don’t care for Epica, this album is more of the same, but to me this was a huge improvement from the band’s third album. Everyone sounds great and the new guitarist added the one thing that Epica had been missing previously. Kingdom of Heaven & Design Your Universe are two beefy epics and are the clear standout songs on this album. Martyr of the Free Word is a true rocker. There are a couple of ballads sprinkled throughout, which show case Simone’s great range. E

27. “The Black Halo” by Kamelot (2005)
Favorite Tracks – Memento Mori, When the Lights are Down, This Pain
Least Favorite Tracks – Serenade, The Haunting (Somewhere in Time)

Kamelot’s concept album Epica blew me away. When I heard that the band was working on a sequel, I got excited. This album exceeded my expectations and bested Epica in just about every way imaginable. March of Mephisto is a great way to start the album, and the guest musicians really put the song over the top. When the Lights are Down is another Kamelot classic track 2. But the highlight of this album, and this two album story is easially Memento Mori, one of the finest songs that this band has ever produced. It clocks in at 8:54, which is very long by Kamelot’s standards. It is a great piece of music, that they should have ended the album with. Either way, this is a great album, and is accessible to people new to the band.

26. “Paradise Lost” by Symphony X (2007)
Favorite Tracks – Domination, Revelation (Divus ennae ex Tragoedia), The Walls of Babylon
Least Favorite Tracks – Serpent’s Kiss, Paradise Lost

If this was a list of my favorite album art/packaging, then this album would be #1. Regardless, Symphony X’s 2007 release “Paradise Lost” was one of my favorite albums of a very loaded year for music. This album was aggressive, and a breath of fresh air after a five year wait for a new album. This was the heaviest that Symphony X ever sounded, and it suited them, especially the talented Russell Allen’s voice perfectly. Domination is one of the heaviest, most aggressive songs that this genre has ever produced, and is easily my favorite song from the album.  The album also features two ballads, the second of which “The Sacrifice” I’m more partial to, which puts me in the minority of SX fans. Revelation is an incredible album closer. I feel that this album is underrated by SX fans, but that does nothing to damper my excitement whenever I put this beast of an album on.

Recap of the list, 50-26
50. “Dead Heart in a Dead World” by Nevermore (2000)
49. “Be” by Pain of Salvation (2004)
48. “Requiem for the Indifferent” by Epica (2012)
47. “Remedy Lane” by Pain of Salvation (2002)
46. “The Perfect Element, Part I”, by Pain of Salvation (2000)
45. “The Seraphic Clockwork” by Vanden Plas (2010)
44. “Digital Ghosts” by Shadow Gallery (2009)
43. “Oceanborn” by Nightwish (1998)
42. “Epica” by Kamelot (2003)
41. “Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate” by The Project Hate MCMXCIX (2003)
40. “Room V” by Shadow Gallery (2005)
39. “Silverthorn” by Kamelot  (2012)
38. “Deggial” by Therion (2000)
37. "Unia" by Sonata Arctica (2007)
36. “Images & Words” by Dream Theater (1992)
35. “Night of the Stormrider” by Iced Earth (1991)
34. “Isolate” by Circus Maximus (2007)
33. “Elements, Pt. 1” by Stratovarius (2003)
32. “Silence” by Sonata Arctica (2001)
31. “Awake” by Dream Theater (1994)
30. “Redemption” by Redemption (2003)
29. “Bridge Across Forever” by Transatlantic (2001)
28. “Design Your Universe” by Epica (2009)
27. “The Black Halo” by Kamelot (2005)
26. “Paradise Lost” by Symphony X (2007)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 28-26 Revealed.
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
Great picks, except for Paradise Lost, which I haven't heard.

But what's up with White Waters being one of your least favorite songs? It's awesome!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2013, 02:10:55 PM »
Great picks, except for Paradise Lost, which I haven't heard.

Don't bother if you haven't heard others.  Paradise Lost is the worst SyX album. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
Well, I like Iconoclast well enough. They're sort of in the same vein, aren't they?

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:53 PM »
3 great picks.  :tup

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:18 PM »
Well, I like Iconoclast well enough. They're sort of in the same vein, aren't they?

Paradise Lost is like Iconoclast done properly.

Offline adace

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »
PL isn't the worst S-X album, but it's definitely bottom tier.  I'll agree that Allen's vocal style and the music fit well, but I just prefer the albums leading up to PL.  PL was a step backwards imo... I still like it, but not the same way I like others.

Epica and Kamelot still on the 'check-it-out' list.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »

Do it. Vanden Plas can wait.

And I say this as someone who listens to Vanden Plas.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:44 PM »

Do it. Vanden Plas can wait.

And I say this as someone who listens to Vanden Plas.

I already know VP.  Tried the one Epica album DoC already had on the list.  Will eventually get to Kamelot.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
This has been a cool list!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
Thanks guys. Like I said.... it won't be a very diverse list in regards of genres. But these would be the 50 albums that I would own if I could only own 50.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
Someone else likes Redemptions debut as much as me? Awwww. Bring it in, homey.  :smiley:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »
Thanks guys. Like I said.... it won't be a very diverse list in regards of genres. But these would be the 50 albums that I would own if I could only own 50.

Nothing wrong with not being diverse.  If you know what you like and don't like, it makes it a lot easier on your wallet.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2013, 03:19:44 PM »
That was the criteria with which I compiled my Top 50.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2013, 07:15:38 PM »

25. “Armageddon March Eternal – Symphonies of Slit Wrists” by The Project Hate MCMXCIX (2005)
Favorite Tracks – The Bleeding Eyes of a Breeding Whore, Resurrected for Massive Torture, Godslaughtering Murder Machine
Least Favorite Tracks – Loveless, Godless, Flawless ,  At the Entrance to Hell’s Unholy Fire

Swedish “death metal” The Project Hate make their second appearance on the list with their 2005 release, Armageddon March Eternal. This album is a 65 minute beatdown, laced with heavy riffs and hellish compositions.   This album features 8 songs, with six of them coming in at over 8 minutes long. The back and forth growling, signing setup is worked to perfection on this album, if you can take the growling that is. But aside from the lyrics, which are about as religiously offensive as they come, this album is a gem.

24. “One Hour by the Concrete Like” by Pain of Salvation (1998)
Favorite Tracks – Inside Out, New Year’s Eve, Handful of Nothing
Least Favorite Tracks – Black Hills, Pilgrim

Pain of Salvation makes its fourth appearance on the list. While I love The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane & Be, this one tops them all. As far as albums go on my list, this is where they start flirting with perfection, and to me, this is how close Pain of Salvation got. There isn’t a bad song on the album. Hell, there’s only one song that I’d rate as low as “Good”. Like other PoS albums, this album has great flow, with tracks ending and beginning with ease. To me, this album also features quite a few of the best choruses that Daniel has ever come up with. The only blemish on an otherwise perfect album to me is the “flush” part of Water, but that is forgivable. Inside Out isn’t PoS best album ender, but it is pretty metal, and easily my favorite track on the album.  When I get time,  I love to spend an hour by the concrete lake.

23. “Ghost Reveries” by Opeth (2005)
Favorite Tracks – The Baying of the Hounds, Ghost of Perdition, Beneath the Mire 
Least Favorite Tracks – Atonement, Reverie/Harlequin Forest

Opeth finally makes an appearance on the list with Ghost Reveries. Having never listened to the band before, I bought this album based on the strength of the buzz it was generating on DT.Net. I bought the album in December of 2005. By the end of January 2006, I was the proud owner of 8 Opeth CDs. This album grabbed me by the throat and showed me how heavy progressive metal could truly get. Ghost of Perdition and the Baying of the Hounds is an incredible one-two punch, but that’s nothing new for an Opeth album, but it was new to me at the time. Beneath the Mire brings that groove, and the Grand Conjuration brings the pain! The album loses me a little bit in the middle, but it’s not enough to damper my enjoyment of this album! 

Offline adace

Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 25-23 Revealed.
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »
Ghost Reveries is one of my all-time favorite albums. :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
1 - you lost me at "death metal"
2 - meh... I've tried PoS so many times, and it just doesn't float my boat
3 - meh... I've tried Opeth so many times, and the growlies just ain't mah thang.

Bring on the hate

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:48 PM »
Keep trying Opeth. I hated growls at the beginning, too. It's eventually worth it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »
Keep trying Opeth. I hated growls at the beginning, too. It's eventually worth it.

When my 'check it out' list is about 30 or 40 bands deep; 100+ albums deep, I don't see any need to keep trying.  I give bands a 2nd chance, but rarely a 3rd.  If it doesn't click at all by then, it's time to move on.  There's too much great music to find that has me  :omg: out of the gate... no need to 'keep trying' on stuff that doesn't.  That's my philosophy.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2013, 09:48:55 PM »
I'm with Chad. As soon as I hear any growl in a song, it's shut off faster than you can say growl.