Author Topic: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.  (Read 26549 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 42 & 41 Revealed.
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
You're not bad for being a Rat Bird fan.  Based on what I have so far in your list, I'm going to have to take a long look at anything I don't have.

:metal

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 42 & 41 Revealed.
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »

40. “Room V” by Shadow Gallery (2005)
Favorite Tracks – Room V, Encrypted, The Andromeda Strain
Least Favorite Tracks – Seven Years, Comfort Me

Coming in at #40 is the sequel to Shadow Gallery’s concept album “Tyranny”. This is another example of progressive metal at its best. The band does a great job in touching on some melodies from Tyranny while keeping this effort fresh. The concept is solid, and is a logical conclusion to the story. The first two minutes of the album, in the form of “Manhunt” is an incredible instrumental to open the album. It starts off fast and tight, just like Stiletto in the Sand, and reprises the main melody from Christmas, the bookend tracks from Tyranny. When these guys are in a long instrumental section, such as in The Andromeda Strain and The Archer of Ben Salem, they are incredible. But for my money, the instrumental section of Room V (the song) is one of my favorite Shadow Gallery moments. All in all, this is a great progressive metal album, and should be in your collection if you’re a fan of the genre.

39. “Silverthorn” by Kamelot  (2012)
Favorite Tracks – Prodigal Son, Veritas, Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife)
Least Favorite Tracks – Silverthorn, Song for Jolee

Kamelot finds itself on the list again. Silverthorn is the band’s latest album, and first without the masterful singing of Roy Kahn.  In his stead, and much to my surprise, Tommy Karevik provides equally masterful singing. This album is a marked improvement from both Poetry for the Poisoned and Ghost Opera. This concept album features a haunting story accompanied by equally haunting symphonic metal. I feel that any fan of some of the older Kamelot albums would really like this effort. Sacrimony (Angel of Afterlife) sees Kamelot going back to having incredible 2nd tracks. Song for Jolee is a great ballad, where the new singer shows his range. Veritas is a bombastic song which feels like vintage Kamelot. And Prodigal Son may be Kamelot’s finest piece of music. This album is very assessable to fans of many genres, and one that I’ll enjoy for years to come.

38. “Deggial” by Therion (2000)
Favorite Tracks – Emerald Crown, Via Nocturna, Enter Vril-Ya
Least Favorite Tracks – Flesh of the Gods, Deggial

Therion is a symphonic metal band that I had the luck of discovering in 2000. They are an orchestra driven metal band with many different forms of vocals, most notably some incredible choir singing. Deggial is one of the two Therion albums that I bought on the same day in 2000. I find most of the tracks to be very interesting pieces of music that flow well together. Via Nocturna is one of the most epic pieces of music that I’ve ever heard. Emerald Crown is my personal favorite, adding great choir singing to an otherwise pretty straightforward song. The album ends with a cover of Carl Orff’s “O Fortuna” that’s pretty awesome. 13  years later, I still listen to this album and feel as if I’m drawn right back to my formative years.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 40-38 Revealed.
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2013, 11:49:11 AM »
Shadow Gallery AND Therion?

We really need to notes sometime.  Deggial was my first Therion album, and I was hooked immediately.

Offline adace

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Silverthorn and  Deggial :metal

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
Add another to the list I gotta test - Therion.  You had me at "Symphonic Metal"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
Tommy Karevik has one of the greatest voices in music today imho. While I prefer Seventh Wonder, his singing on Silverthorn definitely made the album worthwhile.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
Tommy Karevik has one of the greatest voices in music today imho. While I prefer Seventh Wonder, his singing on Silverthorn definitely made the album worthwhile.

He did a masterful job of keeping the Kamelot sound intact while showcasing his talents.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

37. "Unia" by Sonata Arctica (2007)
Favorite Tracks – My Dream’s but a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare, Caleb, It Won’t Fade
Least Favorite Tracks – The Vice, The Worlds Forgotten, the Words Forbidden

Coming in at #37 is the 2007 release of one of my favorite bands. Unia, hated on by many Sonata Arctica fans is one of my favorites. While many want the next “Silence”, Sonata Arctica kept on evolving and doing whatever they want. This effort is filled with songs of a personal feel. The whole band sounds great on this album. What pushes this album so highly is the sheer number of great songs, including “In Black and White”, “For the Sake of Revenge”, “It Won’t Fade” “Caleb” & “My Dream’s but a Drop of Fuel for a Nightmare”, which also happens to be my favorite Sonata Arctica song. “Under Your Tree” & “Good Enough is Good Enough” are touching ballads. “Fly With the Black Swan” is a quirky sound that is very catchy. All in all, the album has tremendous flow, and I’ve loved it since I first listened to it some six years ago.

36. “Images & Words” by Dream Theater (1992)
Favorite Tracks – Metropolis, Learning to Live, Take the Time
Least Favorite Tracks – Surrounded, Another Day

Dream Theater finally makes their debut on my list. And for me, this is the album that started it all. My Stepdad brought this home from a friend of his on a cassette tape. I was completely blown away by what I heard. This was my first true dabble into what I called at the time “non-radio music”. Take the Time and Metropolis were my two songs. I wore that tape out listening to those two songs over and over again. This is the album that opened up a whole new world of music to me (really 1 to 3 genres). This album is great, but hasn’t aged well. For me, Surrounded is an anchor that drops this album down a spot or two, but the good far outweighs the bad!

35. “Night of the Stormrider” by Iced Earth (1991)
Favorite Tracks – Travel in Stygian, Desert Rain, The Path I Choose
Least Favorite Tracks – Stormrider, Mystical End

In 1999, I discovered Iced Earth by hearing “Melancholy (Holy Martyr)” on the Metal Channel on TV. I bought the album that the song came from (Something Wicked, This Way Comes) and played it to death, but failed to further explore the band. Three years later, my brother bought me the Dark Genesis Box set. This was when I truly became an Iced Earth fan. The album that stuck out, is the album that I consider to be the band’s very best, Night of the Stormrider. The album is a wall of sounds accented by great guitar work and a dark concept. I love how everything flows together, and there are some great songs on this album. Travel to Stygian is my second favorite Iced Earth song (behind only the great “Dante’s Inferno”). Angel’s Holocaust has an intro that grabs you by the throat and slams you around the house, and the album never relents other than a couple of perfect segues. Though the singer was inferior than Barlow or Owens, his voice works perfectly for this album. I’ve recommended this album to many people  and have sold it as something Metallica would do if they were still writing in the vein of their holy trilogy, but Iced Earth really outdid themselves early in their career.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 37-35 Revealed.
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
I&W is about 35 spots too low.  Not into the others much... usually like Sonata when I hear them.  Iced Earth... not as much.

BTW, had a go with Epica (the band) and Therion.  Simone just sounds too much like Floor (imo), and I didn't really like Mark's growlies in After Forever, so I wasn't too enthralled with Epica on the whole.  Therion was pretty good.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
Yeah, I prefer Epica when it's just Simone. I've got nothing against growls, I just like them to be performed well.

Regarding this update, I&W is the only one I've heard, but I have had Unia recommended to me, so I'll probably check that one out soon.

Offline adace

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 05:08:31 PM »
I don't remember how Unia sounds because I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I'm sure it's a good album. As for the other two, they're awesome! In fact, I just got Night of the Stormrider in the mail today. :biggrin:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:02 PM »
I don't remember how Unia sounds because I haven't listened to it in a long time, but I'm sure it's a good album. As for the other two, they're awesome! In fact, I just got Night of the Stormrider in the mail today. :biggrin:

:metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 05:19:55 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 05:25:29 AM »
Stormrider definitely has a place in any top 50 list, killer metal.

Unia is easily SA's best album, glad to see appreciation for it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
Unia is easily SA's WORST album, it's not even close. I can't believe I'm even gazing upon that cover in a top 50. It was great to see the band finally push out and evolve, but there were a metric shit ton of failed execution on that record.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Unia is easily SA's WORST album, it's not even close. I can't believe I'm even gazing upon that cover in a top 50. It was great to see the band finally push out and evolve, but there were a metric shit ton of failed execution on that record.
:lol

Agreed!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
I like Iced Earth and all...but

I&W is about 35 spots too low.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
Unia is easily SA's WORST album, it's not even close.

No.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 09:23:25 PM »
I listened to Unia once.

I prefer the cheesy power metal over melody-less "prog" songs.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:11 PM »
Unia, hated on by many Sonata Arctica fans is one of my favorites. While many want the next “Silence”, Sonata Arctica kept on evolving and doing whatever they want.

Case in point.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
Not really, because I didn't want another Silence, I wanted the band to evolve. I just wanted that evolution to be good, and not suck donkey balls like Unia.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Unia is SA's masterpiece.  Everything about that album is perfect it's not even funny.  The band will never reach the heights of that album again, it's truly one of a kind.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »
Not really, because I didn't want another Silence, I wanted the band to evolve. I just wanted that evolution to be good, and not suck donkey balls like Unia.

My quote ran one sentence too long.

So is Dream Theater the only band on these forums that we're not allowed to blatantly bash?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »

34. “Isolate” by Circus Maximus (2007)
Favorite Tracks – Mouth of Madness, Ultimate Sacrifice, Wither
Least Favorite Tracks – From Childhood’s Hour, Arrival of Love

Coming in at #34 is Circus Maximus’s sophomore album. I had high expectations for this album based on what these guys accomplished with their debut album. I was in no way disappointed. This album picks up right where the last one left off. The first four songs all flow seamlessly, including “Sane No More” another technically impressive instrumental akin to “Biosfear” from the debut album. Mouth of Madness is a twelve minute epic that blew me away when I first heard it. Ultimate Sacrifice is a great way to end the album. Mike Eriksen has an excellent voice, but I feel that this type of music would benefit from someone with a bit more “grit” so to speak. But he does sound great, as do all the musicians on this progressive metal gem.

33. “Elements, Pt. 1” by Stratovarius (2003)
Favorite Tracks – Elements, Soul of a Vagabond, Fantasia
Lease Favorite Tracks – A Drop in the Ocean, Eagleheart

I first discovered Stratovarious in 2000. I had most of their albums when Elements, Pt. 1 was released. To me, this is Stratovarius’ masterpiece (Which in turn resulted in my being largely disappointed with Elements, Pt. 2). Soul of a Vagabond, Fantasia & Papillon are all great songs. The 12:00 minute epic Elements, is the band’s crowning achievement, at least in my humble opinion. This album has held up, and remains my favorite Stratovarius album.

32. “Silence” by Sonata Arctica (2001)
Favorite Tracks – The End of This Chapter, False News Travels Fast, The Power of One
Least Favorite Tracks – Tallulah, Last Drop Falls

Speaking of masterpieces, this is what many consider to be Sonata Arctica’s crowning achievement. My brother gave me this album for my birthday. This served as my introduction to the band. I listened to this CD multiple times upon receiving it. This showcases what Sonata Arctica does best. As for Tony, I feel that this is his strongest album vocally. The End of This Chapter, the first song of the “Caleb Saga” is my favorite track off this album by far. The album flows well in the beginning, but then gets a little see-sawish towards the end. But The Power of One brings everything home nicely. It is based off of the strength of this album that I purchase SA albums as soon as they are released. And seeing some of these songs performed live was incredible. Silence…. What an album!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 34-32 Revealed.
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »

So is Dream Theater the only band on these forums that we're not allowed to blatantly bash?

I doubt Nick would get away with bashing SA on their own forums.

Also, FUCK YEAH CIRCUS MAXIMUS

Also, also, Last Drop Falls is awesome, you turd.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »
I prefer The First Chapter, but Isolate is damn awesome.  Only have a couple of Strat albums, this not being one of them.  SA... haven't subjected myself to them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »

For the most part, does that not make sense to you?

And it's awesome to see Elements 1 on here, it's my favorite Strat album. Gets overlooked by way too many fans who just focus on Visions/Episode/Destiny.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

I doubt Nick would get away with bashing SA on their own forums.

Also, FUCK YEAH CIRCUS MAXIMUS

Also, also, Last Drop Falls is awesome, you turd.

It is pretty awesome. I don't like the lyrics. But least favorite doesn't mean bad by any means.

For the most part, does that not make sense to you?

And it's awesome to see Elements 1 on here, it's my favorite Strat album. Gets overlooked by way too many fans who just focus on Visions/Episode/Destiny.

It makes sense that we have to mind our p's and q's about DT given that we are an unofficial DT forum. Just didn't know off the top of my head if that courtesy was extended to other bands/media. But I should have known better based on past discussions about the Star Wars Prequels  :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
Well, I mean, usually I try to keep things decent with other bands/media, but Unia is below the line where my rage can be controlled.

It doesn't make things any better that when I saw SA it was on the Unia tour and those songs killed an otherwise decent set.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
Well, I mean, usually I try to keep things decent with other bands/media, but Unia is below the line where my rage can be controlled.

It doesn't make things any better that when I saw SA it was on the Unia tour and those songs killed an otherwise decent set.

I just saw Pain of Salvation during the Road Salt 2 tour. I know your pain.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2013, 01:19:03 AM »
Unia is easily the best SA album for me and Silence is among my three favorite releases by them :tup I got burned out on Stratovarius, so I haven't listened to Elements Pt. 1 in a long time.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »
Unia is great. Nick is a buffoon.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 06:36:41 AM »
Unia is great. Nick is a buffoon.

I don't know Unia, so I can't argue that point.  I know Nick, so I can't argue that point.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
Mod on mod violence.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 04:06:41 AM »
Agree with every word on Elements Pt1.  Best Strato album, by far.

Isolate is pretty cool and Silence of course is classic.  One of my first power metal albums.