Author Topic: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.  (Read 26550 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 16-14 Revealed.
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

13. “Paradox” by Royal Hunt (1997)
Favorite Tracks – River of Pain, Tearing Down the World, Time Will Tell
Least Favorite Tracks – It’s Over, Silent Scream

The next album has been nudged out of my all-time top 10 by some newer releases, but I still cherish this album. I discovered Royal Hunt in 2002 when I heard their greatest song, Intervention. It wasn’t until 2005 that I got around to picking up Paradox. This was my first D.C. Cooper fronted Royal Hunt album, and his voice blew me away. The album starts off with an interesting opener, which is followed by 6 great songs. An interesting concept accompanies the top notch music. This band features one of my all-time favorite keyboardists. I consider this album a must have for any fan of progressive metal.

12. “Black Clouds & Silver Linings” by Dream Theater (2009)
Favorite Tracks – A Nightmare to Remember, The Count of Tuscany, The Best of Times
Least Favorite Tracks – Wither, The Shattered Fortress

Wow! That’s all that I can say about this album. After everything that this legendary band accomplished with their first 9 albums and various other releases, the band outdoes themselves and produces this perfect blend of progressive and metal. I was hooked the very first time that I heard, A Nightmare to Remember. This is one of my favorite DT songs, and is as heavy as it is epic. The instrumental section of this song is one of my favorites that the band has come up with. I love everything about this song. Rite of Passage is great! Wither is great! The Shattered Fortress is a bit of a mash up, but it is still nearly 13 minutes of progressive metal greatness. The Best of Times is a touching tribute song, and is grossly under rated. The Count of Tuscany…. While most of the lyrics are the low point in this album, the music is absolutely flawless. With Nightmare & Count accounting for nearly half of the album length by themselves, the quality of the album is lifted that much more. Did I mention that I love Nightmare?

11. “Christ 0” by Vanden Plas (2006)
Favorite Tracks – Wish You Were Here, January Sun, Silently
Least Favorite Tracks – Shadow I Am, Somewhere Alone in the Dark

Just missing the top ten is one of the greatest progressive metals albums that I’ve ever heard. Vanden Plas’ Christ 0 , my favorite album released in 2006, was my introduction to the band, and I was very, very impressed.  The mix isn’t the greatest, but that is something that I quickly got over. January Sun is a perfect song. If someone would ask me to play them a perfect song, I would probably choose that one. Wish You Were Here and Silently are long and interesting songs as well. As a bonus, the band covers “Gethsemane” from Jesus Christ Superstar, and it is spectacular, just like the rest of the album! 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 13-11 Revealed.
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
You just put BCSL above some of the most beloved Dream Theater albums.

Wow.

Unconventional. Interesting.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2013, 03:30:44 PM »
You just put BCSL above some of the most beloved Dream Theater albums.

Wow.

Unconventional. Interesting.

That's what I do.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »
Hmm. I would not put Black Clouds And Silver Linings over Images And Words or Awake, but I would put it over Octavarium and A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

I've never listened to Royal Hunt, though I probably should.

I have that Vanden Plas album, and it's quite good, but I wouldn't put it that high. But, opinions and all that. Looking forward to the rest! :)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
DC Cooper has an awesome voice.  Ive heard some Royal Hunt and it sounds pretty good.  I've got everything from Silent Force.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »
I thought Nick and I were the only Royal Hunt fans.   :metal

Although I wouldn't have BC&SL in my top 200 in all likelihood.  Seventh favorite DT album for me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

Although I wouldn't have BC&SL in my top 200 in all likelihood.  Seventh favorite DT album for me.

:lol My top 200 would be all the albums I own...

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
Maybe when you are almost 35 you will be over 1000 albums too.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »

You've got a good memory, it just isn't very long!  :lol

Paradox is an excellent album.  BCSL... not so much.  Has it's moments, but it barely makes the Top 12 for DT.  I love all VP, but don't know them well enough to stack rank their albums.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
Ok, I rephrase to "have been Royal Hunt fans for over six years"  :P

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
Excellent Top 50 so far. I have almost all your picks and many of them would also fall in my Top50.

Ok, I rephrase to "have been Royal Hunt fans for over six years"  :P

I've owned Paradox for over 10 years, so you can add me to that list. RH fans are a pretty rare breed it seems.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2013, 04:25:36 AM »
I'm a bit of a RH fan too, that album is really good.

That Vanden Plas album is pretty nice too, although the latest one was so much better IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2013, 09:37:06 AM »
Really interesting choice with BC&SL being that high. Haven't heard the other two.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
I think I got Paradox either late 2004 or early 2005.

I know there aren't many Royal Hunt fans, but one cool thing I've noticed is this. Fans rank their albums differently after #1, but every single Royal Hunt fan I've ever talked to lists Paradox as their favorite, myself included.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »

I know there aren't many Royal Hunt fans, but one cool thing I've noticed is this. Fans rank their albums differently after #1, but every single Royal Hunt fan I've ever talked to lists Paradox as their favorite, myself included.

Nickfail as usual.  I actually put X at the top of the list, just ahead of Paradox.

perhaps that's a jingle.fail then??
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »

Nickfail as usual.  I actually put X at the top of the list, just ahead of Paradox.

Yes, I'd have to argue that's a Jingle.fail. :D

Why do you find it superior to Paradox? I do find it to be a very good album, but certainly a notch below the near excellence I've always found Paradox to be.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »

Yes, I'd have to argue that's a Jingle.fail. :D

Why do you find it superior to Paradox? I do find it to be a very good album, but certainly a notch below the near excellence I've always found Paradox to be.

Well, when I decide to get into a band, I usually go all in, and it was you that connected me with RH about 18 months ago.  So, snagged their whole discog.  It's pretty hard to stack rank 10 albums when you listen to them all at once in a short period of time.  If I was able to space out, and digest the albums as they were released, it might be a different story.  I find X to be a little edgier, and obviously much more guitar led.  Paradox and the concept could've used a couple more tracks (imo).  For a concept, it's pretty short at 49 minutes.  I know X is about the same length, but pound-for-pound/song-for-song, it's got a bit more 'umph'.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »

Definitely not a Nickfail.... Paradox is universally regarded as their best. Of course their are exceptions.   

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »

10. “The Divine Wings of Tragedy” by Symphony X (1997)
Favorite Tracks – Candlelight Fantasia, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, The Eyes of Medusa
Least Favorite Tracks – Pharaoh, The Witching Hour

Coming in at #10 is my favorite SX album. Divine Wings of Tragedy, to me is heads and shoulders above the band’s other works. The title track, is a 20 minute epic that blew me away, and one that I prefer to the Odyssey.  Candlelight Fantasia is one of those perfect songs, where every note feels like it has been placed perfectly. The album flows nicely, beginning with the rocker Of Sins and Shadows and ending with the aforementioned epic and perfect song. This is the album that I refer people to when they ask, about either Symphony X, or bands like Dream Theater.

9. “The Fullness of Time” by Redemption (2005)
Favorite Tracks – Sapphire, Threads, Parker’s Eyes
Least Favorite Tracks – The Fullness of Time I: Rage, The Fullness of Time IV: Transcendence

When I saw Dream Theater three times in 2007, I also got to see Redemption three times. I remember buying two of their albums at their merch stand. One of the, The Fullness of Time, is far and away my favorite of their albums. This album starts off with one of the best album openers that I’ve ever heard. The next song, Parker’s Eyes is hard to explain, but it is incredible. Scarred is very good as well. But track four, Sapphire, Redemption’s 15+ minute masterpiece is the band’s crowning achievement, which they’ve only come remotely close to matching once. I cannot stress enough  that every fan of progressive metal should check out this song if they haven’t already. The last four tracks of the album are each part of a 20 minute song called The Fullness of Time. While not nearly as good as Sapphire, it is still very good in its own regard. Put it all together, and you have one outstanding album!

8. “Karma” by Kamelot (2001)
Favorite Tracks – Forever, Elizabeth: I – Mirror Mirror, Elizabeth: III – Fall from Grace
Least Favorite Tracks – Don’t You Cry, The Light I Shine on You

In 2000, I discovered Kamelot, and their great album The Fourth Legacy. Their follow up, 2001’s Karma was an instant favorite of mine. This band has produced a lot of great albums through the years, but this is the very best. Forever, another one of those great track two songs, is a great “This is Kamelot” song. The Spell is an awesome straight forward rocker. Karma, Temples of Gold & Across the Highlands are other great songs, but for me, it’s all about the epic at the end. Elizabeth collectively is my favorite Kamelot song. Roy Kahn was incredible on this album and if any newer Kamelot fans haven’t give this classic it’s due, I highly recommend listening to it or listening to it again!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 10-8 Revealed.
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2013, 05:55:36 PM »
Hmm. Can't say much here, as I've heard none of these. They are, however, on my list of albums to buy.

Offline adace

« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
10 and 8 are awesome. Haven't listened to 9 enough to make a judgment about it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2013, 06:36:02 PM »
Divine Wings is my second favorite SyX, behind V.

And Snowfall is my favorite Redemption album, so I'm not in agreement here either.  Not that either of your choices are bad, just not what I would go with from those bands.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
For me. Snowfall has a lot of forgettable songs on it and no great ones. LKUA/LIND and B&WW come close to being great.... but they fall flat for me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
You're dead to me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
No great songs? Walls?

WALLS?!?!

:sad: :-[ :'(

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
No great songs? Walls?

WALLS?!?!

:sad: :-[ :'(

Walls is a nice little song. Pretty catchy, with a mainstream vibe.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
TDWOT would be #2 for me; I'm an Odyssey guy.  Despite the doc's pleadings, Fullness is indeed Redemption's best album.  Kamelot... still don't know 'em, but guess this and Black Halo go to the top of the list.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2013, 10:16:35 PM »
3 Great picks, can't go wrong with any of them. DWOT is probably a Top 10 pick for me too. The title track alone is enough to catapult the album to one of my favorites of all time.
Very surprised Jingle hasn't gone full into Kamelot yet. I still nieed to pick up the rest of their catalog myself, I have everything from Karma onwards.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »
^ I know that I need to, and have heard/loved a few tracks.  It has been a combination of me pushing them off, and other bands leapfrogging them, but given they are playing here in 5 weeks, gotta take the leap if I'm gonna go see them with Delain (who I'm really loving lately).

Offline Ruba

« Reply #169 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
I find BC&SL meh (none of the songs made my Top 50), but if you like it, that's OK.

I tried out TDWOT and found out it's not exactly my cup of tea, although it has some great tracks.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »
TDWOT is awesome. My first and favorite album from SX.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2013, 06:50:37 PM »
All three of these albums are fantastic. I do find The Divine Wings of Tragedy to be ever so slightly overrated, but it's still an amazing album.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »
Standing on the edge of paradise I sacrifice my truth and loyalty!!!!!!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
ON THE EDGE OF PARADISE
TEARS OF WOE FALL COLD AS ICE
HEAR MY CRY
RENOUNCE HAVE YOU THY NAME
ETERNAL IS MY PAIN
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #174 on: August 03, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »
I DON'T KNOW THE LYRICS

OH WELL

:neverusethis: