Author Topic: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.  (Read 26564 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 25-23 Revealed.
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
You guys make me sad. :sad:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
Ghost Reveries is awesome, but seeing
Least Favorite Tracks – Atonement, Reverie/Harlequin Forest
made me sad :(

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 31-29 Revealed.
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:21 AM »
Least Favorite Tracks – Serpent’s Kiss, Paradise Lost

What the fuck??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2013, 05:00:41 AM »
Quote from: Destiny Of Chaos link=topic=37962.msg1624518#msg1624518
What the fuck?
I missed that. Good question. :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:22 AM »

What the fuck??

Not a huge Opeth guy buy I LOVE Reverie/Harlequin Forest!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
Least favorite doesn't = bad, it just means that I like the other songs better. Paradise Lost is definitely epic and R/HF is good, but the middle of GR is pretty sluggish for me. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: July 26, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »

22. “V: The New Mythology Suite” by Symphony X (2000)
Favorite Tracks – A Fool’s Paradise, Evolution (The Grand Design), Fallen
Least Favorite Tracks – Communion and the Oracle, The Death of Balance/Lacrymosa

Symphony X makes its second appearance e on the list with their fifth album, aptly named V. This album was my introduction to the band. My at the time girlfriend gave me the album in the summer of 2001. I was immediately blown away. This band was a lot like Dream Theater, but also a little bit different. Evolution was a fitting introduction to the band, as it showcased Romero’s driving guitars, Pinnella’s touch with the accompanying keyboards, and Russell Allen’s powerful voice. There are some fantastic songs on this album. My personal favorite is A Fool’s Paradise, which I find to be very underrated among SX fans.  Rediscovery is a fitting album ender that stacks up with SX’s many other epics. I will always have a special place in my heart for this album.

21. “Train of Thought” by Dream Theater (2003)
Favorite Tracks – Endless Sacrifice, Honor Thy Father, In the Name of God
Least Favorite Tracks – Vacant, Stream of Consciousness

I grew up as a metal fan who only learned about prog by discovering Dream Theater. In “Train of Thought” I found an album where DT performed their version of heavy metal much better than many of the bands that I grew up on. Train of Thought was the only album in the Rudess era that I didn’t buy on release day. This was because I was in boot camp for the U.S. Navy at the time. When I graduated boot camp and went to the airport to fly to my next duty station, I saw Train of Thought in an airport CD shop. I bought the CD, as well as a discman so that I could listen to the album on the flight. This was the perfect album for me, after a couple months of “boot camp” life. As for the album itself, how awesome of an opener is As I Am. Those lyrics (did he just say fucked?), that massive guitar solo. I loved this Dying Soul, and since I didn’t read anything between Six Degrees and Train of Thought, I didn’t know that we were in essence getting a sequel to The Glass Prison. I loved it as well. Endless Sacrifice hit home as it immediately spoke to the long distance relationship that I was in at the time. Honor Thy Father, one of my favorite DT songs and criminally underrated.  In the Name of God…. Epic album ender. I’ve heard a few of these songs live, and they’re great choices. The album is dark, gritty and flows greatly. It’s also one of the few Dream Theater albums where I either love, or really like each song!

20. “The 1st Chapter” by Circus Maximus (2005)
Favorite Tracks – The First Chapter, Glory of the Empire, Why Am I Here?
Least Favorite Tracks – The Prophecy, Silence from Angels Above

Coming in at #20 is the greatest debut album that I have ever heard. A friend that I got into Dream Theater urged me to check out this debut in 2005. I was blown away by this new band. They sounded like they have been playing together for 20 years. All of the songs were well composed and each player sounded like he was a virtuoso, much like Dream Theater. Sin is a great debut song. Glory of the Empire would have been a fine epic for a debut album, but The 18+ minute opus “The 1st Chapter” is one of the best songs that I have ever heard. Circus Maximus has only released two more albums in the 8 years since this one dropped, and despite two great songs on their third album, and a perfect song on the same album they haven’t come close to living up to the expectations that I’ve put on them after this debut masterpiece.   

Offline Ruba

Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 22-20 Revealed.
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Your least favourite tracks on TOT are the only ones I really like on it. Go figure  :lol.

E: But you still like them. Good.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
Good choices, though I prefer Isolate to The First Chapter.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »
Three fantastic albums there. The First Chapter is absolutely stellar. I agree it's the best debut in prog metal ever. ToT and V also made my top lists.

Best update yet. Can't wait to see what's to come.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
I'm just blown away when I listen to V. Fantastic! Great pick with ToT too.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2013, 12:31:12 AM »
Symphony X is an odd one for me. It's one of those bands that I feel I should like a lot, but just doesn't seem to do it for me.

The other two are stellar! Two thumbs up my ass  :tup :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »

19. “Watershed” by Opeth (2008)
Favorite Tracks – The Lotus Eater, Heir Apparent, Hessian Peel
Least Favorite Tracks – Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega

With discovering Opeth after Ghost Reveries came out, Watershed was the first Opeth album that I anticipated. The album is aptly named, because this truly is Opeth’s watershed! This album blew me away when I first listened to it, and it gets better with each listen. Coil is such a neat intro for the album, but the party really kicks in with 17+ minute double punch that is Heir Apparent & the Lotus Eater, which easily could be one song.  Heir Apparent is what I consider to be the band’s heaviest song, if such a thing can be measured.  The Lotus Eater, is my favorite Opeth song. I love everything about it.  Especially the last few minutes of the song. This transitions into Opeth’s finest non-heavy song, Burden, a song in which Mikael never sounded better. Hessian Peel is an 11 minute epic that has an eerie and well built up beginning  that gives way to a brutal second half. Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega stand out as the two weakest tracks on the album, but by no means are they bad. All in all… Watershed is my favorite Opeth album, and my favorite album released in 2008.

18. “Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence” by Dream Theater (2002)
Favorite Tracks – Misunderstood, The Glass Prison, About to Crash (Reprise)
Least Favorite Tracks – Solitary Shell, Blind Faith

Up next is Dream Theater’s longest album to date, the  two disc progressive metal experiment gone right, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. From Finally Free’s end to As I Am’s beginning, this album is incredible. The Glass Prison is a 14 minute beat down, and a great indicator of where the band was going in the future. Blind Faith, great at moments, meh at others, easily my least favorite song on the album.  Misunderstood, I loved it from the first time I first heard it. The less is more approach with the instruments. Lyrics that I could relate with at the time, and Petrucci’s incredible guitar work during the middle and end of the song. The Great Debate, owning Tool’s entire history of songs in one song, and on top of that, a creative use of exploring a debate. Disappear, that perfect, eerie, heartbreaking ballad. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Dream Theater’s longest song. My favorite parts are the About to Crashes, War Inside My Head and Goodnight Kiss. Dream Theater really showed off their versatility with this album, and it more than deserves its spot on my list.

17. “Vovin” by Therion (1998)
Favorite Tracks – The Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah, Eye of Shiva, Black Sun
Least Favorite Tracks – Clavicula Nox, Raven of Dispersion

Coming in at number 17 is another album by the masters of symphonic metal, Therion. Vovin is more than an album, it is an experience.  This album features a metal band, a choir and small orchestra. And together, they make great music. The album opens with “The Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah” which is not only my favorite Therion songs, but one of my favorite songs by anyone. All of the songs flow well on this album, and I’ve yet to hear better from this subgenre.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 19-17 Revealed.
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
Fuck yeah @ DT and Opeth. Watershed is my favorite release by them. Six Degrees is probably in my top 3 for DT too.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2013, 05:44:48 PM »
No fucking way! I'm not the only one in the world anymore who thinks One Hour is the best Pain of Salvation album!

Yaaay! \o
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
No fucking way! I'm not the only one in the world anymore who thinks One Hour is the best Pain of Salvation album!

Yaaay! \o

:metal   It is incredible to say the very least.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
Watershed is my favorite Opeth album, so a big :tup from me. Six Degrees is awesome as well.

I haven't heard that Therion album, but I've been meaning to try and get into them. Will be checking it out soon.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2013, 06:43:37 PM »
Watershed is just excellent. Third favorite Opeth album for me atm.

Offline adace

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
Nice to see some love for Therion :tup

The other two albums are awesome as well.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2013, 01:33:53 AM »
Nice selections.  I don't think ToT would sniff my top 25%, and Vovin is good, but not my favorite Therion album; but the rest would all be contenders for a spot in my top 50.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2013, 06:07:43 AM »
Really happy to see TOT here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2013, 06:42:37 AM »
I liked the first Therion album you fired off, so I guess I'll be checking this one.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2013, 05:22:35 AM »
The first album of SDOIT:  :metal

The second:  :P

But overall it's pretty damn good.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »

16. “Octavarium” by Dream Theater (2005)
Favorite Tracks – Panic Attack, Sacrificed Sons, Octavarium
Least Favorite Tracks – I Walk Beside You, These Walls

Wow! This is the greatest album that I’ve ever heard in regards to implementing a concept into the music. I do not have to go in depth of how everything on this album fits together like a well crafted puzzle, but I will say that I love the execution. Panic Attack is one of my favorite songs ever. Sacrificed Sons & Octavarium are vintage Dream Theater and incredible epics. I love how the songs flow into each other and lend themselves to the overall concept.  On top of that “Razoe’s Edge” is one of the most epic pieces of music that I’ve ever heard, and I had the pleasure of hearing it live multiple times. Some of the tracks haven’t aged as well as others, but this album is still everything that I hope out of an album.

15. “Temple of Shadows” by Angra (2004)
Favorite Tracks – Winds of Destination, Late Redemption, The Temple of Hate
Least Favorite Tracks – Wishing Well, Sprouts of Time

Up next is one of the best concept albums that I have ever heard. I only discovered Angra in 2006, and this album blew me away. Winds of Destination is one of my favorite songs by anybody, and there isn’t a bad song on this album. Eduardo Falaschi gives one of the best vocal performances that I have ever heard. Every other member is on point as well. I’m willing to bet that most fans of Kamelot would absolutely love this album. I know that it’s true for me.

14. “A Dramatic Turn of Events” by Dream Theater (2011)
Favorite Tracks – Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky, Breaking All Illusions
Least Favorite Tracks – Beneath the Surface, Far From Heaven

Up next is Dream Theater’s most recent release. There was a lot of anticipation for how Dream Theater would respond to the loss of Mike Portnoy. The answer was that the band, with new drummer Mike Mangini is as good now as they’ve ever been. This album is classic Dream Theat. On the Backs of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten, Bridges in the Sky, Outcry & Breaking All Illusions are all instant classics as far as I’m concerned, and how many albums have four legitimate epics that clock in at over 10 minutes apiece? I don’t care for Beneath the Surface at all, but the strength of the rest of the album absorbs that for me. If this album is any indication, the future of the band is just as bright as the past was great!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Two hits, one miss for me, and none of these would be as high for me. Temple of Shadows and, to a slightly lesser extent, ADTOE, are fantastic though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
A Dramatic Turn Of Events over Octavarium? Interesting. Still, good choices. I haven't heard Angra, though.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
A Dramatic Turn Of Events over Octavarium? Interesting. Still, good choices. I haven't heard Angra, though.

I think more outrage comes with both of them being above I&W, Awake & Six Degrees, but oh well.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2013, 02:13:59 PM »
Oh. I totally forgot about that. :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
Octavarium is too spotty to be this high IMO.  I used to love it, but it hasn't aged well, it might be my 8th favorite DT album.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events over Octavarium?

Easily, and twice on Sunday.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
Octavarium is too spotty to be this high IMO.  I used to love it, but it hasn't aged well, it might be my 8th favorite DT album.

A Dramatic Turn Of Events over Octavarium?

Easily, and twice on Sunday.

Intentional?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2013, 02:22:25 PM »
Eight days a week

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 16-14 Revealed.
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »
Three beaut's there.  8vm still ranks pretty high for me (not over I&W though... THAT is shocking).  Temple of Shadows was my first Angra... took a few listens to REALLY click.  I liked it plenty at first, but then one listen a couple of years back it was like BAM!  Absolutely fantastic.  ADTOE started, and has aged, quite strong over the last 2 years

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »
Two great DT releases!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
ADToE over Octavarium? Eh.

Well, ADToE is my #2 and 8VM my #1, so close enough.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2013, 05:16:37 PM »
ADToE over Octavarium? Eh.

Well, ADToE is my #2 and 8VM my #1, so close enough.

Unconventional. Interesting.