Author Topic: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.  (Read 26418 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Top 50 Albums of Chaos - #1 Revealed.
« on: July 10, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
Hello everyone! After a 10 month wait, it is now time for me to share my Top 50 Albums list.

While I appreciate everyone who adds a twist to their lists, such as limits of how many albums from a given band can make their list, I am posting my 50 most beloved. As in, if I could only listen to 50 albums for the rest of my life, these would be the 50, regardless.

I was raised on classic rock (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Aerosmith etc) and some 80's rock.(Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Guns 'N Roses etc). In my pre-teen years, I got more into mainstream heavy metal (Metallica, Ozzy, Megadeth etc). When I was 14, I discovered Dream Theater. I now prefer Progressive Metal, and rarely stray from the genre. As such, this will probably be the least diverse list that is shared on the forum. I'm not going to have token selections from multiple genres. Just the top 50... which is mostly Progressive.

The write ups won't be fantastic, as I've got a lot on my plate with working full time and going to school "full time", but updates will be consistent, and this list won't take too long for me to get through.

With all of that said, I hope that someone enjoys this. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:27:44 PM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
Yeah I'm not expecting this to be a diverse list :lol but I'll still be following.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Following!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:34:58 PM »

50. “Dead Heart in a Dead World” by Nevermore (2000)
Favorite Tracks - The Heart Collector, Insignificant, We Disintegrate
Least Favorite Tracks – Believe in Nothing, The River Dragon Has Come

Just edging out a classic Kamelot album for the #50 spot is Nevermore’s Dead Heart In a Dead World (DHiaDW).  A friend of mine let me listen to “Dreaming Neon Black” back in 2000. It didn’t click with me. In 2006, I bought “This Godless Endeavour” based on Nevermore being a part of Gigantour. I loved the album. Soon after, I bought DHiaDW and I was blown away! This album was heavy and brooding, and what I’ve come to expect out of this band. The first four tracks flow together very well. Singer Warrel Dane is a monster on this album. The Heart Collector is far and away my favorite Nevermore, and one of my all-time favorite songs (yes I have a top songs list as well). Fan favorite The River Dragon Has Come, doesn’t resonate with me, but it’s by no means a bad song. This album, and its songs have grown on me over time and whenever I listen to it, I am reminded that I really need to continue exploring this band.

49. “Be” by Pain of Salvation (2004)
Favorite Tracks – Lilium Cruentus (Deus Nova), Nihil Morari, Latericius Valete
Least Favorite Tracks – Nauticus (Drifting), Vocari Dei

Coming in at #49 is Pain of Salvation’s ambitious concept album (well, one of them) Be. Unlike many, I loved this album from the very first listen. I did not discover Pain of Salvation until 2005, so I heard all of their albums released up to that point within the same month or so. I think that I enjoy this album because of the amazing performance by the band on the DVD. As for the music itself, I love concept albums, and this was a well done one on a subject that I found very fascinating. I loved the year/population counting during both Deus Nova & Nihil Morari. To me, it really lent to what I consider to be the climax of the concept, which is Latericius Valete. That track gives me chills every time. Lillium Cruentus is my favorite track. I love the 1-2 punch of Iter Impius and Martius/Nauticus II and how they bring the album home. As with any PoS album, Daniel’s vocals are a high point as well. I admittedly don’t listen to this album to often, but when I’m in the right mood, it’s all that I want to hear.

48. “Requiem for the Indifferent” by Epica (2012)
Favorite Tracks – Avalanche, Serenade of Self-Destruction, Requiem for the Indifferent
Least Favorite Tracks – Deep Water Horizon, Stay the Course

I have been a huge fan of Epica since I discovered them in 2005. Since then, I’ve gotten each new release as soon as I could. I was expecting a letdown after Design Your Universe, because of the letdown that came after Consign to Oblivion, and I got used to the see-saw nature of Epica’s work, but Requiem for the Indifferent (RftI) did not disappoint! I feel that lead guitarist Isaac Delahaye’s sophomore effort with the band really was a success, as strong lead guitar parts were what the first three albums were lacking. I think Simone sounds better than ever on this album. I’m not sure if it’s the mix, or if she’s still getting better, but she was tremendous. The backing choir even sounded better than it did in past efforts. As with Design Your Universe, Track 6 and 13 are both epics, and the longest songs on the album. But for me, Avalanche really is a standout track The whole band sounds great. This album as aged nicely over the last year, and hopefully, I can see some of these songs live after Simone pops that kid out!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - Intro & 50-48 Revealed.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
Three great albums right there! Though I can't help but notice Iter Impius missing from your favourite tracks and The River Dragon Has Come in your least favourite tracks. What's up with that? :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
Three great albums right there! Though I can't help but notice Iter Impius missing from your favourite tracks and The River Dragon Has Come in your least favourite tracks. What's up with that? :P

I love Iter Impius, and was lucky enough to see it performed live two months ago. As for River Dragon, I don't know. It's not a bad song by any stretch, just my least favorite.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 05:57:07 PM »
As such, this will probably be the least diverse list that is shared on the forum.

You obviously didn't follow either of my lists.  I'm all over this list like a cougar on an 18 year old boy.

Nevermore and PoS ain't quite my thing, but I dig Epica... but don't know them too will - they ended up on the bottom of the pile of female-led bands... I just never got around to trying too much of them.  I'll be firing up that album soon.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
As such, this will probably be the least diverse list that is shared on the forum.

You obviously didn't follow either of my lists.  I'm all over this list like a cougar on an 18 year old boy.

Nevermore and PoS ain't quite my thing, but I dig Epica... but don't know them too will - they ended up on the bottom of the pile of female-led bands... I just never got around to trying too much of them.  I'll be firing up that album soon.

:metal

And I'll be checking out your lists soon.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

47. “Remedy Lane” by Pain of Salvation (2002)
Favorite Tracks – Undertow, Rope Ends, Ending Theme
Least Favorite Tracks – Waking Every God, Fandango

Coming in at #47 is Remedy Lane. I didn’t really care for this album when I first heard it, but it definitely grew on me and won me over with each listen. I find the concept to be gritty, and Daniel delivered some genuinely depressing moments on this monster. I love how “Of Two Beginnings” gets the album started, and “Ending Theme” is an outstanding mood-setter. “Undertow” has always been my favorite track. Sometimes less is more, and this song has always hit home with me. “A Trace of Blood” and “Rope Ends” are both musically amazing with devastating lyrics to accompany them. All in all, this is one of them albums that you experience rather than merely listen to.

46. “The Perfect Element, Part I”, by Pain of Salvation (2000)
Favorite Tracks – Used, Her Voices,  The Perfect Element
Least Favorite Tracks – Dedication, Song for the Innocence

To me, Remedy Lane & The Perfect Element are just about even. TPE was my introduction to PoS.  I remember hearing Used and thinking “what the hell am I listening to”. Now, Used is my favorite PoS song. Like RL, this album touches on some deep emotions. Her Voices, my second favorite PoS song  feels like an emotional roller coaster ride, especially that ending! Unfortunately, some songs do drag this album down a bit for me. But all in all, another fantastic album by Pain of Salvation.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - Intro & 47 & 46 Revealed.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »
I love Remedy Lane, one of my top albums. Haven't heard much from The Perfect Element, but I plan on getting it sometime.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - Intro & 47 & 46 Revealed.
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
Wasting no time getting into the PoS picks  :lol  I look forward to following!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 47 & 46 Revealed.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
This list is pure music win at the moment.  Love that Nevermore album and of course POS are amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »
Pretty excellent list so far, except Epica who I've never been able to get into.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:48:42 AM »
Rememdy Lane and The Perfect Element in one update nearly makes my head explode, though I would place them much higher.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 04:24:48 AM »
TPE is my fav PoS album. And Idioglossia is my fav PoS song with In The Flesh coming as a close number 2.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
Well, more Pain of Salvation is always good. I don't think I need to express my love for the band.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
RL and PE1 are soooo good, yet somehow BE made this list despite being soooo bad.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

45. “The Seraphic Clockwork” by Vanden Plas (2010)
Favorite Tracks – Rush of Silence, The Final Murder, Frequency
Least Favorite Tracks – Sound of Blood, On My Way to Jerusalem

Coming in at #45 is a progressive metal masterpiece by one of my favorite “DT Clones”, Vanden Plas. Like DT, VP has been getting heavier over the years, and this album is a true monster. While it contains all of the progressive elements that make this band great, the album is laced with chunky riffs. The album kicks off with “Frequency” which is built around a simple yet effective riff. It sets the tone for the album. Andy Kuntz’s vocals are top notch, as always. I don’t think that VP gets their due, but this was one on of my favorite albums from 2010 and one that I’ll never grow tired of.

44. “Digital Ghosts” by Shadow Gallery (2009)
Favorite Tracks – Haunted, Strong, Pain
Least Favorite Tracks – Gold Dust, Digital Ghosts

Wow…. Shadow Gallery has been one of my favorite bands ever since accidently discovering them ten years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting the band in 2005. I was devastated to learn that Mike Baker passed away around Halloween 2008. These were truly down to earth guys, and losing one of their brothers had to have been devastating. A year later, the band released this Digital Ghosts. A fitting name, as Brian Ashland, the man with the daunting task of performing the vocals for this album sounded just like Mike. The music itself is incredible. I truly love and enjoy each and every song. Gary Wehrkamp wowed me with everything that he did for this album, especially his drum work on a number of the songs. With Honor is a fitting opener and Haunted is a fitting close. I’d rather have Mike still with us than have this album as is, but what we are left with is truly a progressive metal masterpiece.

43. “Oceanborn” by Nightwish (1998)
Favorite Tracks – Gethsemane, Stargazers, Moondance
Least Favorite Tracks – The Riddler, Sacrament of Wilderness

Coming in at #43 was my introduction to Nightwish. I discovered this band in 2004 and bought this album off the strength of 30 second snippets on Amazon.  I was blown away. I loved the Tuomas’ arrangements and Tarja’s voice blew me away. I love epic music, and this is just what I was looking for at the time. Based on the strength of this album, I quickly purchased the rest of Nightwish’s albums, and remain a big fan regardless of who’s singing. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 45-43 Revealed.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
That Shadow Gallery album is fantastic. Not familiar with the other two.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 03:59:51 PM »
All three excellent albums.  Love me VP, but I don't get to them too often.  I'll go on the assumption that there are still more Nightwish albums to come... I don't mind the earlier albums, but prefer the 2000s stuff.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »
Well, I am still following, but some of these choices have been just outside of my realm.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
Well, I am still following, but some of these choices have been just outside of my realm.

Really?  Thought VP and SG would be up your alley.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »

Really?  Thought VP and SG would be up your alley.

Vanden Plas is one of those bands that I have just not gotten into. I sampled a few things, but nothing has really compelled me to jump. They are on The List to be sure, but just not yet.

I love Shadow Gallery. I was just not a fan of Digital Ghosts.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

42. “Epica” by Kamelot (2003)
Favorite Tracks – Center of the Universe, Descent of the Archangel, Lost & Damned
Least Favorite Tracks – Helena’s Theme, III Ways to Epica

Coming in at #42 is Kamelot’s first appearance on the list. 2003’s Epica, a concept album, is a very good one. Kamelot’s known for amazing track two songs, at least during their best four album run, and Center of the Universe is one of their very best songs. All of the songs flow nicely into each other. For me, this is an other example of Kamelot not knowing how to end an album. But that aside, this is still a tremendous album. Wander & On the Coldest Winter Night are great ballads. Decent of the Archangel is a song ahead of its time as far as Kamelot goes, as it sounds like it could be on Poetry or Silverthorn. Roy Khan delivers a strong vocal performance, although it is the beginning of his gradual decline. This album hasn’t aged as well as I thought it would, but it’s still a tremendous piece of music.

41. “Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate” by The Project Hate MCMXCIX (2003)
Favorite Tracks – Congregate, Hate, Burn
Least Favorite Tracks, Weep, Deviate, Eliminate

The Project Hate is probably the heaviest band that I listen to. If I were to try to put this band in a genre, it would be something along the lines of Progressive Death Metal.  Like quite a few bands, they feature a growling male/ singing female duet that this band pulls off to perfection. This album was their most aggressive undertaking to that point. This album features songs with lengths of 12 minutes, 9 minutes three at 8 minutes. To me, this album is outstanding. I don’t agree with the band’s message and what they’re signing about, but that in no way diminishes what this band has accomplished with their unique sound. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 50 Albums of Chaos - 42 & 41 Revealed.
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
Kamelot is a band I know I should get myself in to, they just haven't jumped to the top of the list.  Will need to remedy that some time.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
Kamelot is a band I know I should get myself in to, they just haven't jumped to the top of the list.  Will need to remedy that some time.

Who is ahead of them on that list?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
Schpongle.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »

Same here!

Vanden Plas! :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 05:28:15 PM »
Kamelot should come before Vanden Plas.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 01:28:15 AM »
i used to flirt with the idea that digital ghosts is my favorite SG album.
i havent held it in quite the same esteem with more recent spins but still recognize the brilliance.

...and yeah, i be following, yo.  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

Well, in the last year or so, these bands joined my library - Vision Divine, DGM, Secret Sphere, Pretty Maids, Silent Force, Darkwater, Mystery, Serenity, Powerworld and lots of individual albums.
Still high on my 'check-it-out' list - Mob Rules, Revolution Renaissance, Aeon Zen, Echolyn, Tiles, Subsignal, Dio, Epica... I could go on.  Kamelot is there, just not sure when I'll get to them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 02:52:59 PM »
Epica is easily Kamelot's best album and is truly a masterpiece.  Black Halo was good, but nothing has matched Epica, it's their special milestone album to me.

Love that Vanden Plas album too.  It was the first album I got from them and I was pleasently surprised with the quality of it.  That Shadow Gallery album is good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 04:40:43 PM »
You're not bad for being a Rat Bird fan.  Based on what I have so far in your list, I'm going to have to take a long look at anything I don't have.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 05:28:59 AM »
Oceanborn is awesome! Such a shame they don't play songs from it live anymore.