Author Topic: Worst DT Solos  (Read 10274 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Worst DT Solos
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
I agree about Petrucci's solo. Everyone seems to hate it, but I think it's pretty awesome.

It's probably because the song is a fucking chore to listen to up to that point.

Offline Dacling

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
I agree about Petrucci's solo. Everyone seems to hate it, but I think it's pretty awesome.

It's probably because the song is a fucking chore to listen to up to that point.

I don't even remember how the solos go off the top of my head or anything because I tune out about a quarter of a second after the song starts as every note of the song grates my ears and repeatedly stabs my will to live until 2 seconds in when I finally manage to skip to the next song in my mad panic rush to not endure anymore of it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:14:22 PM by Dacling »

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I actually don't mind the bebot solo in AROP. It's a funny moment in a rather dull song (other than JP's fucking killer solo)

jeez i mixed them up. gives away how long since ive listen to either

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »
The whole ending section of Misunderstood is just.... noise. It doesn't make sense to me.

As for ANTR: Jordan is playing a video game where he's killing cats with the zen riffer. This would have to be the worst solo.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »
The ending of Misunderstood is too long, and even if it wasn't that long it doesn't fit with the song at all.

I didn't like The tradeoff solo of ANTR when I first heard it-not because it was technically bad, if anything it was amazing- but because it turned me off to see yet another tradeoff solo that, by the time BC&SL was released, was getting stale. I don't know if that counts.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2013, 01:06:15 AM »
Jordan really needs to find some new keyboard tones. The guy was a real breath of fresh air when he joined DT, and he's a real genius when he tries, but on recent albums he's gotten a bit lazy. There, I said it.  :justjen
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:29 AM »
The only DT solo I find downright awful is the Bebot solo in AROP.
This this this this.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2013, 03:44:25 AM »
Jordan really needs to find some new keyboard tones. The guy was a real breath of fresh air when he joined DT, and he's a real genius when he tries, but on recent albums he's gotten a bit lazy. There, I said it.  :justjen
I would agree if we were in 2010, but ADTOE redeemed Jordan with many great sounds and solos. Seeing his keyboard park for the new album, I'm sure he'll up his game even more.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2013, 04:42:08 AM »

I, and this is my opinion, think MP had a lot to do with JR's sound ToT-BC&SL. On ADTOE, JR really uses a ton of different keyboard effects and what not. Lots of clean piano as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2013, 08:04:18 AM »
Pretty much every DT album with Rudess has a fair amount of piano, but every time a new album comes out, many rave over how much piano is on it, as if it was non-existent on the last one, which was not the case.  Strange.  But I think it speaks to how hit or miss his soloing is, since when people hear the piano, the reaction is always overly positive, and it just seems like there wasn't much of it on the last album because the (not so great) solos stick out more. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2013, 08:07:49 AM »
Pretty much every DT album with Rudess has a fair amount of piano, but every time a new album comes out, many rave over how much piano is on it, as if it was non-existent on the last one, which was not the case.  Strange.  But I think it speaks to how hit or miss his soloing is, since when people hear the piano, the reaction is always overly positive, and it just seems like there wasn't much of it on the last album because the (not so great) solos stick out more.

Do you disagree that Jordan used more clean piano in ADTOE?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »
More than usual?  Perhaps, although I'd have to listen to each album and listen for just piano, but my point was that there is a lot of piano on every album, yet every time a new DT album comes out, some have that "Finally some piano!" reaction, as if it was absent on the previous album.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2013, 08:20:40 AM »
More than usual?  Perhaps, although I'd have to listen to each album and listen for just piano, but my point was that there is a lot of piano on every album, yet every time a new DT album comes out, some have that "Finally some piano!" reaction, as if it was absent on the previous album.

Well, I think there was a huge contrast between ToT-BCSL to ADTOE. Like, I could actually tell when Jordan was playing. SC-BCSL had so much of him doubling the guitar and using not-so-cool effects, that it was hard to place when he was playing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »
That kind of proves my point, when I alluded to the negative aspects of his playing as what people focus on (some of the soloing, the guitar doubling stuff you mentioned, etc.), and the good stuff, like the abundance of piano playing which is ALWAYS there, is sometimes overlooked.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
I know!  When I listen to The Glass Prison, I'm always thinking "this song would be a masterpiece, if they just took out all those piano parts!"  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »
Keyboard solo from A Rite Of Passage!
Worst Dream theater solo and propably the worst keyboard solo I've ever heard  :D

Was coming in to say there are no awful DT solos, then I remembered this. I even like the ragtime/lighthearted  piano bits JR throws in but that Bebot solo is like nails on a blackboard.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2013, 11:36:02 PM »
the keyboard solo in The Root of All Evil.

The only problem I've had with this solo is it's not mixed loud enough on the album. Actually, I think most of JP's lead guitar is low in the mix on 8vm.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »
I've never had a problem with the Bebot section myself. Always thought it was neat.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:52 AM »
The worst has to be Jordan's solo for Take the Time on Chaos in Motion. He took one of the best solos in the catalogue and took all the tension and release out of it. It had no dynamic, no emotion. And I'm not usually on the side of criticizing Jordan like that.
See, I don't think this is that bad. It's not great, but at least JRs using the right patch. I think it'd have been better had he stayed on the keyboard and not used the zen riffer
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »
I feel bad that 95% of the solos mentioned in this thread are Jordan's  :sad:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
Soloing isn't his strong point, imo. Which kinda makes sense, he comes from a more classical background, as opposed to Petrucci who is into great soloists like Morse and Al Di Meola. Also DS, who is mostly influenced by lead guitar players. JR's strong point is in composing and taking advantage of new technology.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
Yeah, but 90 percent of those are A Rite of Passage
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2013, 07:46:20 AM »
I know this sounds harsh, but I would love to see DT only use keyboards for benefit of the music ie. only having guitar solos.  Jordan usually steers songs too much into masterbation territory which detracts a bit from the songs.

Sort of like what Symphony X did on Paradise Lost.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Hayden

« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:57 AM »
The whole ending section of Misunderstood is just.... noise. It doesn't make sense to me.

Given the song it appears in, I think that was kinda the point.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2013, 07:50:13 AM »
You should note that he has appeared on 7 (soon 8) albums, so there's more room for not-so-good solos in his playing.

I think Jordan's experiments with different instruments and sounds are a double-edged sword: they can be really interesting and cool, but sometimes they are just awful (the Bebot solo in AROP, the horns in Beyond This Life).

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
I know this sounds harsh, but I would love to see DT only use keyboards for benefit of the music ie. only having guitar solos.  Jordan usually steers songs too much into masterbation territory which detracts a bit from the songs.

No. That's a terrible idea. If I wanted to not be listening to keyboard solos, I'd listen to some other band.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
Yeah, I don't like that idea either.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Basekick

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2013, 02:05:50 PM »

I think Jordan's experiments with different instruments and sounds are a double-edged sword: they can be really interesting and cool, but sometimes they are just awful (the Bebot solo in AROP, the horns in Beyond This Life).

I'm shocked it took 3 pages to mention the Beyond This Life horns solo.  I still don't understand how on earth someone hears that and goes "sweet solo!"
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2013, 04:27:22 PM »

I'm shocked it took 3 pages to mention the Beyond This Life horns solo.  I still don't understand how on earth someone hears that and goes "sweet solo!"

Jordan's solo in Beyond This Life is one of my all-time favorite DT solos  :sad:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »

No. That's a terrible idea. If I wanted to not be listening to keyboard solos, I'd listen to some other band.

Yeah, I don't like that idea either.

I didn't really expect anyone to embrace this anyway. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
I'll embrace that idea. A keyboard solo here and there is okay for me, but as soon as it starts into a wankfest of random synthesised noise, I'll dislike it straight away.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
I think we are a bit overestimating the size of the "wankery" delivered by JR. I mean, it was almost completely absent in the last record, it's not that he engages musically pointless duels with JP on every song they wrote since he joined the band.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
I think we are a bit overestimating the size of the "wankery" delivered by JR. I mean, it was almost completely absent in the last record, it's not that he engages musically pointless duels with JP on every song they wrote since he joined the band.

I don't.  It's the "guitar sounding" solo that are just meh for me form JR.  When he is melodic I love his solos.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
I'll embrace that idea. A keyboard solo here and there is okay for me, but as soon as it starts into a wankfest of random synthesised noise, I'll dislike it straight away.

Yeah.  I used to put up with it, but now it just seems like random masterbation, which I don't care for anymore. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »

Jordan's solo in Beyond This Life is one of my all-time favorite DT solos  :sad:

Mine too. BTL is one of my favourite songs off SFAM because of that whole instrumental section. The sleazy keyboard solo is one of my all time favourites from DT (along with JP's Vegas one after that), and I love the wacky drowsy horns and carnival unison. That's the stuff I love.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.