Author Topic: Worst DT Solos  (Read 10275 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Worst DT Solos
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
The worst has to be Jordan's solo for Take the Time on Chaos in Motion. He took one of the best solos in the catalogue and took all the tension and release out of it. It had no dynamic, no emotion. And I'm not usually on the side of criticizing Jordan like that.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
The worst has to be Jordan's solo for Take the Time on Chaos in Motion. He took one of the best solos in the catalogue and took all the tension and release out of it. It had no dynamic, no emotion. And I'm not usually on the side of criticizing Jordan like that.

Could you give me a timestamp for the solo in the song?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »

I wasn't factoring in live solos, but yeah, his butchering of that solo is pretty bad.  For the most part, I tend to not like his take on solos originally done by Kevin Moore or Derek Sherinian (mostly because he takes a great solo and wanks it up too much).  If he plays them as is originally, he does a dynamite job most of the time, but when he does his own take, the results are usually not good.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »

4:31

He plays his own solo instead of Kevin Moore's. Kevin's was one of my favorite solos ever. Jordan's is kind of boring.

If he plays them as is originally, he does a dynamite job most of the time, but when he does his own take, the results are usually not good.

I might agree. I love when he writes his own solos though. His solos in Octavarium, Overture 1928, Blind Faith, and Solitary Shell in particular are amazing. But as for Kevin's in Take the Time and Derek's in Trial of Tears, it's best to leave those alone.

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
I was never big on the guitar solo in The Great Debate.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »
Jordan played that solo pretty faithfully for almost ten years before that moment though, if my memory serves me well; maybe he reckoned it was time for a chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
I love when he writes his own solos though. His solos in Octavarium, Overture 1928, Blind Faith, and Solitary Shell in particular are amazing. But as for Kevin's in Take the Time and Derek's in Trial of Tears, it's best to leave those alone.

Yep.

And while my list of worst DT solos were all Rudess, he definitely has a number of great solos.  He is very hit or miss when it comes to solos, the misses being the ones I listed earlier, IMO, and the hits being the ones you listed there, along with Home (his best solo ever).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

4:31

He plays his own solo instead of Kevin Moore's. Kevin's was one of my favorite solos ever. Jordan's is kind of boring.

If he plays them as is originally, he does a dynamite job most of the time, but when he does his own take, the results are usually not good.

Shit, that was horrendous. I couldn't remember because I haven't seen or heard Chaos in Motion since shortly after it came out. I always thought the recording was bad (mostly due to vocals), but stuff like this is also ridiculous.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »
Jordan played that solo pretty faithfully for almost ten years before that moment though, if my memory serves me well; maybe he reckoned it was time for a chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he once said he loves the original TTT solo, which is why he wanted to stay faithful to it. I wish he had kept the same mindset when the CIM version was recorded... :-\

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
along with Home (his best solo ever).

Oh definitely that one as well.

Jordan played that solo pretty faithfully for almost ten years before that moment though, if my memory serves me well;

And hasn't he played it faithfully to the recording since then as well?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he once said he loves the original TTT solo, which is why he wanted to stay faithful to it. I wish he had kept the same mindset when the CIM version was recorded... :-\

I think his goal there was more showmanship with the keytar, and less staying true to the original solo.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Yeah, so his messing with the solo certainly does not come from being irreverent or not caring about the solo. He didn't only say he loves it, he said it was his very favorite KM solo.

And hasn't he played it faithfully to the recording since then as well?
I... can't remember, but I think I'd take particular notice of him playing it differently in post-Chaos recordings, so I would assume yes! *off to youtube to find some recent TTT videos*

edit: watching that Rio de Janeiro video where JP shreds like a maniac near the end - nope, he changed the solo.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:29:09 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
I think his goal there was more showmanship with the keytar, and less staying true to the original solo.
That would explain it, but still not justify it :-X

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
Well, I guess in about half a year we will find out if the solo will return to its original incarnation.  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 10:35:57 AM »
*devil's advocate* we can't know whether they'll resurrect TTT or not, although I'd LOVE that. Hey, this time I'm actually seeing them live, so... :biggrin:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »
*devil's advocate* we can't know whether they'll resurrect TTT or not, although I'd LOVE that. Hey, this time I'm actually seeing them live, so... :biggrin:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »

Well, Duel With The Devil, then :P

Take The Time is the only song that was not played through the ADTOE tour, and it's unlikely that they will include LTL on the set due to the lenght of the shows and the tight schedule. Metropolis will likely be played in Europe (missing there since 2007) and PMU will likely have some rest like UAGM, as both were widely played in Europe in the last cycle.

So if they stand by their decision to include at least two IAW songs in their set the most natural choice is Take The Time! :D

/specumode

ETA: I don't know why I posted that, I know you know all about the playing status of these songs, Mile-Na :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:49:26 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Exception some of SFAM and SDOIT songs I don't like any keyboard solo from Rudess. As many of you pointed out AROP solo is just bad.

Agree

For the most part I agree with this. JR has his moments (personally love blind faith's instrumental section), but the majority of his solos just seem like a bunch of notes with not much feel

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »
Keyboard solo from A Rite Of Passage!
Worst Dream theater solo and propably the worst keyboard solo I've ever heard  :D

This, plus the end of Misunderstood, I always skip that part.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 11:05:23 AM »
I can't think of any solo that I don't like. Although, I'm not a musician--I'm just a music fan, so they all seem amazing to me because I could never do it myself. That could explain it. Yes some stand out as being more jaw dropping than others.

Also, I'm a fan of musicians putting their own stamp/spin/take on whatever they play so while I dig the original solos from former players I really enjoy JR injecting his personal flair on whatever he plays. It's just his way and I like it!

On this forum I hear a great deal of negativity for 'wankery', long solos, too many unisons, too many solo trade offs, to long of songs, not concise enough, shredding, too much metal, not enough metal, too many ballads, etc. etc. Which is all fine, of course. We all have our own tastes but may I suggest, some should probably find a different band to follow because I don't think DT is changing any time soon.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
I can't think of any solo that I don't like. Although, I'm not a musician--I'm just a music fan, so they all seem amazing to me because I could never do it myself. That could explain it. Yes some stand out as being more jaw dropping than others.

Also, I'm a fan of musicians putting their own stamp/spin/take on whatever they play so while I dig the original solos from former players I really enjoy JR injecting his personal flair on whatever he plays. It's just his way and I like it!

On this forum I hear a great deal of negativity for 'wankery', long solos, too many unisons, too many solo trade offs, to long of songs, not concise enough, shredding, too much metal, not enough metal, too many ballads, etc. etc. Which is all fine, of course. We all have our own tastes but may I suggest, some should probably find a different band to follow because I don't think DT is changing any time soon.  :)

a. I am pretty sure everyone here doesn't listen to just Dream Theater.

b. Are you suggesting that we have to love everything the band does?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
Of course not Kev. Dislike away and comment on it as much as you like.

a. Mainly I was commenting that DT isn't likely to change their style much.
b. I was joking around some, hence the smiley.

I'm probably too old to be hanging around fan websites, I suppose. I just don't have the passion for minutia that I once did (if I ever really did) and it all seems odd to me. Lurking is probably a better strategy for me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
The first part of Jordan's Budokan solo is just embarrassing to watch (and listen). I generally dislike almost every solo he made using that patch in the ToT period (TDS for instance, good thing he does it again on the piano) . Fortunately, the second part of the Budokan solo more than makes up for it.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
Any solo on ANTR or Rite Of Passage. Worst solo sections in DT history. I still haven't forgiven them for those. Tacked on, out of place, uninspired. I'd really like to know what they were thinking.

"BALLS AND CHUNK BALLS AND CHUNK BALLS AND CHUNK"
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS AND CHUNK AND CHUNKY SOUP ROOOAARRR!

seriously though... even the keyboard/guitar duet solo in that is just like "ok, these are the chords that are going by, lets just arpeggiate and harmonize the most obvious lines of notes over those chords, and second time through well do it with sweeping patterns. record and print dat shiet!".

Offline Ruba

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
The guitar solo on TDEN is absolutely horrible. Surely it's technical but it doesn't sound good for me, at all.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls... Just stop playing the same thing over and over, and end this terrible song already!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »
I love Jordan's playing and I think he's one of the best musicians alive right now. That said, with his soloing I think he tends to overdo it, it doesn't have the same personality that solos by DS and (especially) KevMo had. TTT is a pretty good example of that. Though whenever he gets it right, it sounds awesome. Most solos on SFAM and Six Degrees are amazing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls... Just stop playing the same thing over and over, and end this terrible song already!

Been lurking for a long long time now, but I had to login just to comment on this. Wut? I think it's just an emotional climax to the song, and it works out beautifully for me... Hell, the whole song is in the top 5, maybe even top 3 for me. Oh well.

More on-topic, besides the already mentioned songs... I always found The Dark Eternal Night's solo kinda wonky. I mean, it fits the song's thrashiness, but there's something wrong on it I can't quite put my finger on.

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Anything Jordan does that sounds like it came from a circus or carousel. Nothing JP does is bad IMO.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2013, 07:37:55 PM »
I love Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, but the solo section is very dull. I'm glad it's short.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »
JP's solo in Lines in the Sand.

... Kidding. 

I can't really think of any solos I have strong negative feelings about.  I guess if I had to pick one to call the worst, I'd probably go with the AROP Bebot solo.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:43 PM »
JP's solo in Lines in the Sand.

... Kidding. 

I can't really think of any solos I have strong negative feelings about.  I guess if I had to pick one to call the worst, I'd probably go with the AROP Bebot solo.

I think it was briang who said the Lines In the Sand solo was out of place and ruined the song for him.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2013, 08:07:48 PM »
using bebot on the constant motion key solo. eek

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2013, 08:37:51 PM »
I actually don't mind the bebot solo in AROP. It's a funny moment in a rather dull song (other than JP's fucking killer solo)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »
I agree about Petrucci's solo. Everyone seems to hate it, but I think it's pretty awesome.