Author Topic: Worst DT Solos  (Read 10273 times)

Offline adastra

Re: Worst DT Solos
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »

I think Jordan's experiments with different instruments and sounds are a double-edged sword: they can be really interesting and cool, but sometimes they are just awful (the Bebot solo in AROP, the horns in Beyond This Life).

I'm shocked it took 3 pages to mention the Beyond This Life horns solo.  I still don't understand how on earth someone hears that and goes "sweet solo!"

Jordan's solo in Beyond This Life is one of my all-time favorite DT solos  :sad:

Mine too. BTL is one of my favourite songs off SFAM because of that whole instrumental section. The sleazy keyboard solo is one of my all time favourites from DT (along with JP's Vegas one after that), and I love the wacky drowsy horns and carnival unison. That's the stuff I love.

Yeah, I think so too . BTL keys solo is great!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I get that it's not for everyone, but that's the kind of stuff I love from DT. I find those sections to be fun, memorable, and unique, and it's part of what hooked me on DT in the first place.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »

I think Jordan's experiments with different instruments and sounds are a double-edged sword: they can be really interesting and cool, but sometimes they are just awful (the Bebot solo in AROP, the horns in Beyond This Life).

I'm shocked it took 3 pages to mention the Beyond This Life horns solo.  I still don't understand how on earth someone hears that and goes "sweet solo!"

Jordan's solo in Beyond This Life is one of my all-time favorite DT solos  :sad:

Mine too. BTL is one of my favourite songs off SFAM because of that whole instrumental section. The sleazy keyboard solo is one of my all time favourites from DT (along with JP's Vegas one after that), and I love the wacky drowsy horns and carnival unison. That's the stuff I love.

2nded.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2013, 11:46:21 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that if Myung ever did a solo we'd all be like  :omg: :omg: :omg: :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy and every other solo ever done would be on this list??
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
I dunno, Myung's Metropolis solo is really cool. His Dance Of Eternity solo is not.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »
I dunno, Myung's Metropolis solo is really cool. His Dance Of Eternity solo is not.

I disagree. Both are f...ing cool.

Mankind needs more Myungness.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2013, 12:11:04 AM »
I think Metropolis I is more concise and clean, but damn..... Dance has some fuckin balls for a bass solo.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
Oh, I would've mentioned it on the first page if I had considered it a solo! I just can't stand that section at all...

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »

I agree.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
The Beyond This Life Trumpet-y-ness-ish solo :tdwn

The Bebot solo  :tdwn

Misunderstood ending  :tdwn

Other than that I'm very pleased :tup

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
I think Metropolis I is more concise and clean, but damn..... Dance has some fuckin balls for a bass solo.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
JP's The Best of Times solo.

The fact that i probably will never see it being performed live  :'(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I get that it's not for everyone, but that's the kind of stuff I love from DT. I find those sections to be fun, memorable, and unique, and it's part of what hooked me on DT in the first place.

:tup

Ditto.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ruba

« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »

Umm... is it one of your favourite solos then?

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »
Keyboard solo from A Rite Of Passage!
Worst Dream theater solo and propably the worst keyboard solo I've ever heard  :D

first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title haha

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:07 PM »
WTF, Myungs Dance of Eternity solo is legit!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2013, 02:14:31 AM »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2013, 04:30:01 AM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls... Just stop playing the same thing over and over, and end this terrible song already!

Been lurking for a long long time now, but I had to login just to comment on this. Wut? I think it's just an emotional climax to the song, and it works out beautifully for me... Hell, the whole song is in the top 5, maybe even top 3 for me. Oh well.
This.

Ooh, that's one sweet solo.  :D  :biggrin:

Anyway, if I had to pick my least favorite DT solo, there's a rather long one in the middle of The Shattered fortress that doesn't do a whole lot for me, so that one gets my vote.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
I've never liked Jordan's continuum solo at the end of TDEN... not sure why, it just has no structure to it. Ad-libbing isn't always the best way to go.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
I've never liked Jordan's continuum solo at the end of TDEN... not sure why, it just has no structure to it. Ad-libbing isn't always the best way to go.

I agree, I think he ruins the atmosphere and mood of that heavy ass riff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »

Sad that we may never see this live.  It is just beautiful.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2013, 12:17:27 AM »

I just don't understand.

I just don't understand.

It fits perfectly with the mood of the riff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »

I just don't understand.

I just don't understand.

Got to agree on this one. Best decision Jordan could have made for the song. Totally appropriate and a bit more interesting than one of his run of the mill lead tones he was using at the time.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Basically, every guitar solo, keyboard solo and guitar/ keyboard unison that has appeared on a DT album in that order (or, in the order of keys-guitar-unison) since SFAM.  They have ALL been redundant and terrible. 

edit

Before the flames begin, read what I said carefully.  I didn't say every SOLO since SFAM, I said every solo that has come before a unison.  Both guitar and keys.  Usually terrible. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
Basically, every guitar solo, keyboard solo and guitar/ keyboard unison that has appeared on a DT album in that order (or, in the order of keys-guitar-unison) since SFAM.  They have ALL been redundant and terrible. 

edit

Before the flames begin, read what I said carefully.  I didn't say every SOLO since SFAM, I said every solo that has come before a unison.  Both guitar and keys.  Usually terrible.

Do you have any specific examples?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2013, 03:07:35 AM »

edit

Like the Blind Faith solo section?  :yeahright

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »

edit

Please tell me you're joking. The whole instrumental section of blind faith is killer. Unison is my favorite part of the whole song.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2013, 07:05:57 AM »
As mentioned before, the stupid keyboard thing at the end of A Rite Of Passage sucks IMO.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »

edit

Please tell me you're joking. The whole instrumental section of blind faith is killer. Unison is my favorite part of the whole song.
Who, me? Blind Faith is one of my favorites as well (easily top 10 material), but the op apparently labeled it as "redundant and terrible", hence my :yeahright(yeahright) emoticon reaction.

Offline Lucidity

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
Almost no guitar solos mentioned in this thread, so I figured I'd add that I don't like JP's solo in The Dark Eternal Night. I also don't like JMX's solo in The Dance of Eternity  :-X

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2013, 03:14:28 PM »
The Ministry of Lost Souls... Just stop playing the same thing over and over, and end this terrible song already!

Leave. Leave and never come back. :tdwn
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2013, 03:19:54 PM »

Leave. Leave and never come back. :tdwn

That's pretty harsh...  :\
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »

I just don't understand.

I just don't understand.

:tup loving that TCOT reference ^_^

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »

Ummmmm sir, please explain yourself? The Dance solo is AMAZING. I actually do get a little peeved every time I listen though because I personally think it was mixed Terribly and you can thus you can barely hear what he's doing unless you have the perfect audiophile setup...I could see that as being a reason to not like the solo, if you can't quite hear what's going on. But it's amazing. Shame on you.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »
That's pretty harsh...  :\

Sorry....The song is just one of my all time favorites and for someone to not see the absolute beauty in the end (and the rest!) of the song is mind-bottling (you know, like when your mind's in a bottle). And to go so far as to say it's actually a terrible song is a complete injustice. Admittedly I am a trained musician and this makes the song even better for me as the structure behind the chords in the end and the continuous modulations is BRILLIANT. But even for a casual music listener....I can't understand how this song could be viewed as terrible.