Author Topic: Just listened to Scenes from a Memory for the first time.  (Read 11340 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Just listened to Scenes from a Memory for the first time.
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2013, 02:28:19 PM »
I'd also recommend I&W instead of Scenes - you need to hear Metropolis Pt. 1 before Part 2 :biggrin:

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
I would caution against starting with it as it's less accessible and may permanently turn off a potential listener.

With that being said... I first listened to Scenes about 5 years ago. It took me a while to digest, as it was not only my introduction to Dream Theater, but also my introduction to the genre of progressive metal. It was a truly transformative experience for me, and I'm a bit jealous for those first timers everywhere. Enjoy the hell out of it 54_diplomats! I'll be curious to see your album rankings after you've let it sink in.

Yeah, Scenes was the first DT album I tried listening to and it was so out there for me that I stopped and assumed I just wasn't a Dream Theater fan. Thankfully I had a friend who started showing me Dream Theater again a few years later. The first thing he showed me was Six Degrees (the second disc) and I was obsessed by the end.  :biggrin:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »
I'd also recommend I&W instead of Scenes - you need to hear Metropolis Pt. 1 before Part 2 :biggrin:

Just want to say -- I MARVEL at how long prog songs are!!!   :o  20 minutes of hard playing...the endurance is astonishing.    :hefdaddy
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 10:24:17 AM »
*cough* (in order of length increasing) Octavarium. 6 degrees... But Transatlantic: The Whirlwind... 1 hr 17 min!!  :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
Listening to it now at work on youtube.  Great music.  Back when it was released, should have been at least nominated for a grammy.  Perhaps the music did not fit a category, sort of like Rush.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
I´m a new fan. I started listening to the band when A Dramatic Turn came out. I went through all the albuns.
Scenes From a Memory is not in my Top 5.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
I do plan on getting LSFNY once SFAM fully clicks with me. As for the story of SFAM should I read up on it or just wait till I get the dvd?

I would get the DVD first.  My best suggestion:  Watch the concert a few times.  Things will start to click that probably didn't start to click from just listening to the CD.  Then watch with the band commentary, and the band will fill in a lot of details.

If you still don't understand anything after that, you can watch the movie Dead Again, which is the inspiration for the basic plot of SFaM.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 05:28:30 PM »
I´m a new fan. I started listening to the band when A Dramatic Turn came out. I went through all the albuns.
Scenes From a Memory is not in my Top 5.

Wrong. It will grow on you. Even if you don't want it to.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
I'll never forget the day it was released, I went to the mall and bought it that day. I got into Dream Theater around '98, so Scenes From a Memory was the first album released after I became a fan.

As soon as Overture 1928 came on, I was blown away with all of the musical references to Metropolis Pt. 1. I instantly fell in love with the album, and I listened to it obsessively for probably a month.

Now, I don't listen to it all that much, though I still love it. I'd rank it as my third favorite DT album, (behind Awake and I&W, respectively) but due to the depth of it, and the simple fact that it's a concept album, I really have to be in the right mood to listen to it. Occasionally I'll have an inkling to spin Beyond This Life, which is my favorite song on the album, but otherwise, I listen to it straight through.

So, congratulations on finding this amazing DT record, and I'm glad that you seemingly enjoyed it as much as I did on your first listen. :tup
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:59 AM »
Silly question, while I get that it's an EP, you have listened to A Change of Seasons yes?  Didn't see it on your list, so thought I'd ask...seeing it's DT's best work  :hat

Offline darkshade

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
finally I have gotten to SFAM.

Just want to say -- I MARVEL at how long prog songs are!!!   :o  20 minutes of hard playing...the endurance is astonishing.    :hefdaddy

When you're a technically accomplished musician, and you wrote and practiced these long epics, it's actually not that hard.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Silly question, while I get that it's an EP, you have listened to A Change of Seasons yes?  Didn't see it on your list, so thought I'd ask...seeing it's DT's best work  :hat

I actually listened to it before SFAM (I was keeping it sorta for last as well lol) and it's my favorite Dream Theater song. Absolutely love everything about it, it's a masterpiece.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
ACOS was actually the first DT release I listened to, because it and BC&SL were the only DT CDs that were available at the local store. I know I'm weird :lol

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 01:30:50 AM »
SFAM was my introduction to DT. It was a birthday present from a good friend (thanks Stefanie) who knew I was addicted to Queen and would appreciate an operatic album with that level of diversity and musicianship. Guess she was right. :biggrin:

Queen and DT are still my biggest influences today and listening to SFAM will always be something special.

Congratulations 54_diplomats and keep enjoying the album, you'll be rewarded with discovering new details for months and maybe years to come!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlastParadigm

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 03:44:31 AM »
This wasn't my first DT album, but it was the one that made me say "That's it, I am TOTALLY going to become a huge fan of these guys". I had only listened to songs from I&W and Awake before that, and even then, I only listened to the "popular" songs.
Then I decided to get serious and give a listen to their concept album.
Best decision of my life, as it is now my favorite album of all time, and I have listened to the whole album hundreds of times.
I'm pretty sure I discovered all there is to discover about the album, but I only did so a few months back. It will never get boring, and trust me, it only gets better from here on.

Offline sv_godspeed

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2013, 05:44:28 AM »
Reading these posts "freak" me out, because I started listening to DT in 91' with "Pull Me Under" on the radio!  I begin to realize that I've followed this band for 20+ years!
Started with Images and Words...........WOW...who the hell is this band?  Trying to understand all the key sigs and patterns.
then it was AWAKE...I was amazed at where they went musically and sonically...7 string guitar-love and simplistic keys...I dug it!
 :metal

...pretty much in the same boat for me. didn't really have much radio coverage in my neck of the woods (India) but was a random discovery where a friend an I pooled in to buy the Awake CD from an obscure music store. since then, i have followed the progression by album as they released. the only one i do not own is WDADU, though i've heard it (no qualms, its pretty bad anyway!)

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:24 AM »
I think Scenes From a Memory is the most melodic of DT's albums (till A Dramatic Turn). The band really sounds like Pink Floyd in some parts. Instrumentally speaking, it's less complex than the others. Mortals can play most of the songs in the album.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2013, 09:22:18 AM »
I think Scenes From a Memory is the most melodic of DT's albums (till A Dramatic Turn). The band really sounds like Pink Floyd in some parts. Instrumentally speaking, it's less complex than the others. Mortals can play most of the songs in the album.

Not really.  It's no less complex or difficult to play than any other Dream Theater record.

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
 Might just be my favorite DT album.Thus far anyway.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 10:21:51 AM by Virtualman64 »

Offline BlastParadigm

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »

Not really.  It's no less complex or difficult to play than any other Dream Theater record.
I feel some parts of it are actually more complex than normal. I can play almost all songs from the album on the guitar, the ones that I can't play being Home, Dance of Eternity and Beyond this Life (some solo sections).
What I can't play is what I feel is more complex, pretty much.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »
Reading these posts "freak" me out, because I started listening to DT in 91' with "Pull Me Under" on the radio!  I begin to realize that I've followed this band for 20+ years!
Started with Images and Words...........WOW...who the hell is this band?  Trying to understand all the key sigs and patterns.
then it was AWAKE...I was amazed at where they went musically and sonically...7 string guitar-love and simplistic keys...I dug it!
 :metal

...pretty much in the same boat for me. didn't really have much radio coverage in my neck of the woods (India) but was a random discovery where a friend an I pooled in to buy the Awake CD from an obscure music store. since then, i have followed the progression by album as they released. the only one i do not own is WDADU, though i've heard it (no qualms, its pretty bad anyway!)

WDADU is good, but the bad mastering ruined it.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
Still listening to it and it's still great. It's getting better each time I listen to it. Still can't rank it among the other albums yet, but it definitely looks like it can be top 5. I'm really curious about the story for this album, Finally Free especially makes me interested in the story.

Also, I feel like posting my album rankings here so people can get an idea of what my favorites are since I listened to them in such an odd order lol. I'll list my favorite song off each as well:

1. Awake - I actually didn't like it at all until about my 6th time listening to it, now it's my favorite. (Scarred)
2. Images and Words - Instantly fell in love with this one. (Learning to Live)
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - (The Glass Prison)
4. Octavarium - My first album so I'm quite attached to it. (Octavarium)
5. Train of Thought - Individually the songs are amazing. Listening to it throughout... can get tiring. (In the Name of God)
6. Falling into Infinity - (Lines in the Sand)
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events - Great return to form for DT. (Bridges in the Sky)
8. When Dream and Day Unite - It gets a lot of hate, but I enjoyed it a lot. (The Killing Hand)
9. Systematic Chaos - (In the Presence of Enemies pt.1)
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Overall I do like it, but it's definitely the worst album DT has imo. (The Count of Tuscany)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
Hmm, it's interesting that you rate Black Clouds And Silver Linings so low, it's probably my number three. Still, very respectable ranking.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
1. Octavarium
2. A Dramatic Turn of Events
3. Scenes From a Memory
4. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
5. Images and Words
6. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. When Dream and Day Unite
9. Awake
10. Train of Thought
11. Systematic Chaos

Someone's going to really kill me for this list.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »
I might. ADTOE is probably second-to-last on my list...

'Course, I'm too lazy to actually make that list..

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »
I loved Black Clouds a lot at one point, I may have just overplayed it. If the album had 8 or 9 songs it could have been better. Most of the songs go on for too long and I tend to skip them often. MP's vocals don't bother me that much, but most of the songs certainly didn't need them (INVENTORY!). idk how to explain it but the album needed to sound more fresh like The Count of Tuscany did.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
I'm in kind of a different phase about DT albuns...actually is something like this:

1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (A masterpiece, that's all.)
2. A Dramatic Turn of Events (DT coming back to its best.)
3. Scenes From a Memory (Great story, best sounding album to me, and another masterpiece.)
4. Awake (I really enjoy the dynamics in this album.)
5. Images and Words (The only thing I don't like about it, is the snare drum...)
6. Falling Into Infinity (A great album, but some songs are too "empty" and the sound is a bit "hollow" in my opinion.)
7. Train of Thought (Nice album, but sometimes I get sick of it too easy...don't ask me why.)
8. Octavarium (Sounds a little bit muddy sometimes, even having one of the greatest epics from DT.)
9. Systematic Chaos (Nice album too. JLBs voice sounds AWESOME in this one...but besides ITPOE and TMOLS, it is a cool album and nothing else to me.)
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings (The songs are too long, and it gets kinda boring to listen too.)
11. When Dream and Day Unite (I just cant stand Dominici's voice. I tried, but I cant.)

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
The last posts just prove that DT music is received in different ways by their fans. It's a matter of soul momentum.
Most of you will think I'm crazy, but here goes my favorites:

1. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
2. A Dramatic Turn of Events
3. Systematic Chaos
4. Octavarium
5. Scenes From a Memory
6. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
7. Images and Words
8. Falling Into Infinity
9. Awake
10. Train of Thought
11. When Dream and Day Unite

Offline johncal

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 06:06:56 PM »
I don't think you're crazy. It's not the order mine would be in, but your preferences are your preferences. just glad you like the band :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »
Okay, I'm actually going to try this. Note that while I've heard Falling Into Infinity, I don't own it and am thus not familiar enough with it to rank it. That said,

1. Images And Words
2. Awake

These two are basically interchangeable, which one I like better depends mostly on the day. Here's the rest, although my ranking for these could change again next week, they're all pretty close.

3. Black Clouds And Silver Linings
4. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
5. Systematic Chaos
6. Scenes From A Memory
7. Octavarium
8. Train Of Thought
9. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
10. When Dream And Day Unite

Looking back at this, it's amazing to me how strong Dream Theater's discography is. There's really not (to me, at least) a weak album here. All killer material.

Offline krands85

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
Still listening to it and it's still great. It's getting better each time I listen to it. Still can't rank it among the other albums yet, but it definitely looks like it can be top 5. I'm really curious about the story for this album, Finally Free especially makes me interested in the story.

Also, I feel like posting my album rankings here so people can get an idea of what my favorites are since I listened to them in such an odd order lol. I'll list my favorite song off each as well:

1. Awake - I actually didn't like it at all until about my 6th time listening to it, now it's my favorite. (Scarred)
2. Images and Words - Instantly fell in love with this one. (Learning to Live)
3. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence - (The Glass Prison)
4. Octavarium - My first album so I'm quite attached to it. (Octavarium)
5. Train of Thought - Individually the songs are amazing. Listening to it throughout... can get tiring. (In the Name of God)
6. Falling into Infinity - (Lines in the Sand)
7. A Dramatic Turn of Events - Great return to form for DT. (Bridges in the Sky)
8. When Dream and Day Unite - It gets a lot of hate, but I enjoyed it a lot. (The Killing Hand)
9. Systematic Chaos - (In the Presence of Enemies pt.1)
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Overall I do like it, but it's definitely the worst album DT has imo. (The Count of Tuscany)
I reckon that's quite consistent with what a lot of people think - certainly with the top 3 and bottom 3, moreso if Scenes makes it into your top 3 or 4. Definitely quite different to my rankings, but what I think is cool, is that every one of your favourite songs off each album is either my first or second favourite track from that album  :D Seems like you're a lover of the longer songs, like me  ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
Hmm, it's interesting that you rate Black Clouds And Silver Linings so low, it's probably my number three. Still, very respectable ranking.
BC&SL isn't a very popular album here, it's #9 in my ranking despite being the first full-length DT album I listened to.

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2013, 07:25:11 AM »
I think that Scenes From a Memory is a turning point in DT as a band.
From that album on, you can notice a pattern that was absent in the previous ones. They became more progressive. I think that DT really became a metal prog band with this album. And the albums that followed it preserved that complexity. Maybe it was the Jordan Rudess effect. I don't know.
And the singing was never the same again.
Sounds like a completely different band.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
I think that Scenes From a Memory is a turning point in DT as a band.
From that album on, you can notice a pattern that was absent in the previous ones. They became more progressive. I think that DT really became a metal prog band with this album. And the albums that followed it preserved that complexity. Maybe it was the Jordan Rudess effect. I don't know.
And the singing was never the same again.
Sounds like a completely different band.

I must agree with you. SFAM started a pattern and "staple sound" in DT that continued through the rest of the albums (I feel like ADTOE broke the pattern a bit though, and for the better). I feel like it was their first "modern sounding" album too. Might've been JR's touch, who knows.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline JRuless

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 05:55:18 AM »
speaking oktober 2002. A guy (a close friend now)  I recently met invited me to see DT live..(hmm...why not!)
Before getting into the music madness I listened to Metropolis pt 1 a couple of times 2/3 weeks before the concert.

11/3/2002 DT absorption day:

Finally Free outro (intro tape)
1.  New Millennium
2.  The Mirror
3.  Lie (w/ Tool jam)
4.  Through My Words
5.  Fatal Tragedy
6.  Blind Faith
7.  Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
8.  Beyond This Life
9.  Hollow Years
10.  Instrumedley:
11.  I The Dance of Eternity
12.  II Metropolis pt.1
13.  III Erotomania
14.  IV The Dance of Eternity
15.  V Metropolis pt.1
16.  VI A Change of Seasons
17.  VII Ytsejam
18.  VIII The Dance of Eternity
19.  IX Paradigm Shift
20.  X Universal Mind
21.  XI The Dance of Eternity
22.  XII Hell's Kitchen
23.  Lines in the Sand
~~~intermission~~~
24.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence:
I Overture (orchestra-only intro tape)
25.  II About to Crash
26.  III War Inside My Head
27.  IV The Test That Stumped Them All
28.  V Goodnight Kiss
29.  VI Solitary Shell
30.  VII About to Crash (reprise)
31.  VIII Losing Time/Grand Finale
~~~encore~~~
32.  The Spirit Carries On
33.  Children of the Damned (Iron Maiden)
~~~2nd encore~~~
34.  Learning to Live

:-\

It was a 3 hour drive and I was totally mindblown..  :mehlin ???
The next day a new fan was born: bought SDOIT, played grey before the next buy: LSFNY.
Didnt care for tv but played de DVD for hours and hours reliving that beautiful evening of November the 3th.

Hooray!  :metal