Author Topic: Just listened to Scenes from a Memory for the first time.  (Read 11339 times)

Offline 54_diplomats

Just listened to Scenes from a Memory for the first time.
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
It's a bit odd how I listened to my albums so let me explain. I've been a DT fan for a couple of years now (started with Octavarium and Train of Thought) but I didn't want to listen to their discography all at once since I had only gotten into them around the time Systematic Chaos came out. I basically read (mainly from here) people's thoughts on each album and SFAM seemed to be the best from what I've read so I left that for last. I spread out each album randomly and finally I have gotten to SFAM.

My thoughts from just one listen? Great album. The second half of the album stuck out to me more than the first half, but like most Dream Theater albums I'll soon become obsessed with all of it the more I listen to it. Favorite songs so far are Overture 1928, Fatal Tragedy, and everything from Act II lol. All those Metropolis themes and references sent chills down my spine.

btw for anyone curious as to what order I listened to these albums it's:

1. Octavarium
2. Train of Thought
3. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
4. Images and Words
5. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
6. Awake
7. Systematic Chaos
8. A Dramatic Turn of Events (same time as FII)
9. Falling into Infinity (same time as ADToE)
10. WDADU
11. Scenes from a Memory

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: Just listened to Scenes from a Memory for the first time.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
oh jesus i thought that was a ranking at first. 1928/SDV are awesome, glad you liked the album! It's one of their albums I don't touch very often, only because I love to "rediscover" it every year or so.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
lol I realized people would think that is a ranking, but my rankings would like drastically different from that. I can't properly make a ranking yet until SFAM settles in.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
While I don't hold Scenes in as high regards as many people do, I do remember that it was a great experience to listen to it in full for the first time and I'm a little jealous, I'd love to have that again.

Also, congrats on finishing your odyssey. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:57 PM »
My favorite album, period.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:04 PM »
I tend to forget how great Scenes is until I listen to it again.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:03:46 PM »
I took about 6-8 months for SFAM to fully sink in and it's still getting better, nearly two years after hearing it for the first time. I keep discovering new sections that I fall in love with nearly every other listening. That's precisely what I love about prog. Happy adventuring.  :tup

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
The best album. You know/understand the story properly?

I listened to it thought, yeah thats good, then saw the story and followed it, then I was like "holy cow balls, this is THE best prog album..."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
See, that actually takes away from the album for me. At first I was like "wow, this is pretty sweet with all the recurring themes and the connection to Metropolis" and then I read the story and was like "ok well that's a little convoluted and uninteresting". And that brings us to the problem that I have with the album - you can't really remove a single track from it, because it all ties back into the concept. What I like best is if albums can be listened to as an album, but the songs don't lose any of their impact on their own. With SFAM, the ability to stand alone is sacrificed for a concept that bores me.

I hope that kinda makes sense. I still like the album, mind you, I just don't worship it or view it as the pinnacle of DT's music.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:25:19 PM »
Also, congrats on finishing your odyssey. :tup

Oh, no.  Not at all.  His odyseey is only just beginning.

It's good that you listened to I&W and digested it long before listening to SFAM.  Those chill inducing moments in Act II are impossible unless you get the musical references.  :tup

Now that you've finished the studio albums, I have one further recommendation for you.  Once you have digested SFAM a bit, get the DVD of LSFNY.  Seriously.  While the story of SFAM is not overly complicated, I know that for me and a lot of other fans as well, there are things that do not make sense until you see it on DVD and (1) see some of the accompanying video footage and (2) hear the band commentary track, which explains a few additional nuggets.  Plus, you get to enjoy some really awesome performances. 

Just to give you a head's-up, there are a couple of general criticisms you often hear about the DVD:
(1) The video effects:  Yeah, they are dated and cheesey.  Some would say they are overdone.  Personally, I don't mind them.  And IMO, they add a campy atmosphere that feels appropriate.
(2) James:  Personally, while he starts off a bit shaky, I feel that he warms up by Fatal Tragedy and sounds great from that point on. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
You listened that far in bosky? You need to get a fuckin' life!  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »
You listened that far in bosky? You need to get a fuckin' life!  :tup

Wait...what?  ???

EDIT:  Never mind.  I get it now.  Took a minute for that to click.   :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
I do plan on getting LSFNY once SFAM fully clicks with me. As for the story of SFAM should I read up on it or just wait till I get the dvd?

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
See, that actually takes away from the album for me. At first I was like "wow, this is pretty sweet with all the recurring themes and the connection to Metropolis" and then I read the story and was like "ok well that's a little convoluted and uninteresting". And that brings us to the problem that I have with the album - you can't really remove a single track from it, because it all ties back into the concept. What I like best is if albums can be listened to as an album, but the songs don't lose any of their impact on their own. With SFAM, the ability to stand alone is sacrificed for a concept that bores me.

I hope that kinda makes sense. I still like the album, mind you, I just don't worship it or view it as the pinnacle of DT's music.
It makes sense, although (in my case) I couldn't even imagine the concept doing anything else than enhancing the already spectacular music. It's been said many times that SFAM as a whole is better than the sum of its parts, almost to the point that it has become a cliché. I think it's hard to argue that songs like Beyond this Life, Home, TSCO, TDOE or even Strange Déja Vu and Fatal Tragedy cannot be fully enjoyed on their own.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:10 PM »
I do plan on getting LSFNY once SFAM fully clicks with me. As for the story of SFAM should I read up on it or just wait till I get the dvd?

I'd wait. It's so much more enjoyable (for me, at least) to get that type of information straight from the source.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
You know, I've never even payed attention to the story. I only have a vague idea what it's about. :lol

Offline jonnybaxy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
I read it while listening to it, I'm not sure if you'll fully understand through the DVD.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »

I would get the DVD first.  My best suggestion:  Watch the concert a few times.  Things will start to click that probably didn't start to click from just listening to the CD.  Then watch with the band commentary, and the band will fill in a lot of details.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »
Out of every DT album, SFAM is probably the one I wish I could listen to again for the first time. The first time I ever heard that album was the LSFNY version, back when I was only vaguely aware they had a Metropolis part 2, and didn't even realize the live album included it as a main feature! Good times.

The Metropolis 2000 DVD commentary and performance will both explain the story, and give you more appreciation for the Metropolis pt 1 references, so I highly recommend that, as long as you aren't prone to epilepsy....
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »
So is this a good "first" DT album to buy?
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 10:58:52 PM »
How can you listen to two albums at the same time? :p

Offline bairrock

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »
Reading these posts "freak" me out, because I started listening to DT in 91' with "Pull Me Under" on the radio!  I begin to realize that I've followed this band for 20+ years!
Started with Images and Words...........WOW...who the hell is this band?  Trying to understand all the key sigs and patterns.
then it was AWAKE...I was amazed at where they went musically and sonically...7 string guitar-love and simplistic keys...I dug it!
Falling into infinity...my fav!!!!  I played this CD over and over again...loved it!  DT played more for the song than anything....
Scenes spooked me out at first!  after FII, I was confused with SFAM, but like any human with a soul, I realized the brilliance and became a normal person again.
now my 3 favs....6 degrees, train, and octa......a great run in my opinion...DT musically challenged and at the top of their game technically...
SC...BCASL...like but not my favs...
ADTOE....love it and still played soooo often...
Looking forward to the self-titled CD...DT kicks ass and know I'm tired and forgot what my point was about this post!  just that i'm excited about the new cd!  LOL!!!
 :metal

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
How can you listen to two albums at the same time? :p

I say that because I listened to ADToE one day and then the next day I listened to FII. You know how you listen to a new album and you mainly listen to that one album for a while? Those 2 pretty much shared that time, if that makes any sense.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 01:37:16 AM »
Reading these posts "freak" me out, because I started listening to DT in 91' with "Pull Me Under" on the radio!  I begin to realize that I've followed this band for 20+ years!
Started with Images and Words...........WOW...who the hell is this band?  Trying to understand all the key sigs and patterns.
then it was AWAKE...I was amazed at where they went musically and sonically...7 string guitar-love and simplistic keys...I dug it!
Falling into infinity...my fav!!!!  I played this CD over and over again...loved it!  DT played more for the song than anything....
Scenes spooked me out at first!  after FII, I was confused with SFAM, but like any human with a soul, I realized the brilliance and became a normal person again.
now my 3 favs....6 degrees, train, and octa......a great run in my opinion...DT musically challenged and at the top of their game technically...
SC...BCASL...like but not my favs...
ADTOE....love it and still played soooo often...
Looking forward to the self-titled CD...DT kicks ass and know I'm tired and forgot what my point was about this post!  just that i'm excited about the new cd!  LOL!!!

LSFNY has practically replaced SFAM in my rotation, it's much more raw and lively (which makes sense). Whenever James struggles with a song, he wins; whenever JP and JR play solos, they rip it, and it's so much more impressive to watch them in action because then you REALLY get a feel at how difficult the sections are, if you're not a musician. There's smiles flying all around, an underlying humor to their performance, but everyone gets really solemn in all the right spots.

Also, seeing someone who is now an integral part of DT playing the role of "the new guy" is priceless.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 07:54:16 AM »
I still wish the band hadn't explained the storyline so explicitly on the LSFNY band commentary.  I like some things being left to our imagination and interpretation, but they were like, this means this and that means that.  It kind of took away from the story a little bit, IMO. 

That aside, yes, Scenes is awesome, and I too wish I could go back and listen to it for the first time again.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
I just listened to SFAM for the first time a few weeks ago, and have been re-listening since! Fantastic album, loved every second.

HOWEVER, my version of "Home" cuts off at 10:46 and since it's digitally an "album only" song, I'd have buy the album all over again from another source to get the complete version.  :'( 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »
Not sure what you mean.  I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination recommend this as a first album for a new listener.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »
personally I think it is a great album to start with if you are going in with an open mind and ready for awesomeness to invade your life.  To each his own.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
I would caution against starting with it as it's less accessible and may permanently turn off a potential listener.

With that being said... I first listened to Scenes about 5 years ago. It took me a while to digest, as it was not only my introduction to Dream Theater, but also my introduction to the genre of progressive metal. It was a truly transformative experience for me, and I'm a bit jealous for those first timers everywhere. Enjoy the hell out of it 54_diplomats! I'll be curious to see your album rankings after you've let it sink in.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »
Truly amazing album, one of my top 10 albums of all time.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
personally I think it is a great album to start with if you are going in with an open mind and ready for awesomeness to invade your life.  To each his own.
Yeah, if you know a thing or two about how Dream Theater works, I think you won't be turned off by Scenes as a new listener. Back when I listened to just random tracks and not albums, most of the tracks I checked out first were Scenes songs, and people tend to say how they don't work for themselves, but I think they say it from the perspective of having experience with DT and/or other prog bands. They worked just fine for me; in fact, I was fascinated with everything that was un-song-like about them.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Full Speed

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
SFAM was the first DT album I listened to since it was the new album at the time. I absolutely loved it and didn't have any problems getting into it. Now after being a DT fan for years it's dropped a nice bit near the bottom of my list, but I still think it is a pretty accessible album for a new fan.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »

No. Or, I mean, it is good, but I'd rather recommend Images and Words for your first album. It's more accessible, and way better IMO.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »

No. Or, I mean, it is good, but I'd rather recommend Images and Words for your first album. It's more accessible, and way better IMO.

THANK YOU!!!!  :D

I'll pick it up right away!

Although, I must say -- in light of all the hubbub surrounding the "inferior" album art of the not-yet-seen new DT release, I will be purchasing Images and Words as an MP3 from Amazon...I rarely ever buy hard media items anymore.

I know you guys get the vinyl and all that ( I don't even have a record player anymore) ...I just wonder if I'm in the minority here...
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Ruba

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

THANK YOU!!!!  :D

I'll pick it up right away!

Glad to help  :smiley:.