The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
Enigma Machine
The Bigger Picture
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason
Along for the Ride
Illumination Theory

Author Topic: Which is the instrumental on 'Dream Theater'?  (Read 11859 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which is the instrumental on 'Dream Theater'?
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
False Awakening Suite.

Here's my logic.

1. We all know what a suite is, but a "suite" can also be a work that just includes extracts of a longer work. A suite would be particular good if utilized as an instrumental overture to an album, in which case it would have to be the first song.
2. Further more -- be patient -- I've long thought that if Dream Theater were to ever have a band anthem, it'd have to be an instrumental song, since singing about the Dream Theater or something like that would just sound goofy and random. If you look at the Falling Awake suite, it's about Dreams.
3. Which leads me to believe that the first song of the album "The False Awakening Suite" is the spiritual self-titled song of the self-titled album: the instrumental "overture" which is the Dream Theater anthem, the overture piece to an album which the band feel extremely confident as their best most representative music yet.

So, in other words, "The False Awakening Suite", otherwise known as "Dream Theater", the instrumental overture to the self-titled album Dream Theater. Or something like that :D

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
I can see Enigma Machine having lyrics. They would just be incomprehensible...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »
False Awakening Suite.

Here's my logic.

1. We all know what a suite is, but a "suite" can also be a work that just includes extracts of a longer work. A suite would be particular good if utilized as an instrumental overture to an album, in which case it would have to be the first song.
2. Further more -- be patient -- I've long thought that if Dream Theater were to ever have a band anthem, it'd have to be an instrumental song, since singing about the Dream Theater or something like that would just sound goofy and random. If you look at the Falling Awake suite, it's about Dreams.
3. Which leads me to believe that the first song of the album "The False Awakening Suite" is the spiritual self-titled song of the self-titled album: the instrumental "overture" which is the Dream Theater anthem, the overture piece to an album which the band feel extremely confident as their best most representative music yet.

So, in other words, "The False Awakening Suite", otherwise known as "Dream Theater", the instrumental overture to the self-titled album Dream Theater. Or something like that :D

That actually makes a lot of sense. :tup I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're correct on this. :metal

However, I already voted for Enigma Machine. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
The Bigger Picture. Why not? Let's gamble.  :tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
Obviously neither of the multi-parters, or I would think obviously.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »
Along For The Ride, because I can't imagine that lyric being part of a song. Same goes for others, but the placement seems like it could be about right.

Disagree with the placement - I think in general the instrumental is more towards the middle of the album. As for which song based on title alone, I'm going with Behind the Veil as my random guess. As for you not imagining Along For the Ride being a lyric, everyone assumed that Constant Motion was gonna be an instrumental and look at how that turned out!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
As someone pointed out in the other thread, I think, (can't remember the screenname - will check and credit you, though!) Along for the Ride has actually retained its working title, and the song chart confirms that Along for the Ride does indeed have... at least some vocals, and probably therefore lyrics.

ETA: Wasteland and thematt202, and both in this thread. Whoops! I'll mind my own business now.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »
I was thinking...what if we have some "Hells Kitchen" kind of instrumental? The working title for the instrumental was 'The Clover', right? I can think of something more calm and deep like HK than something crazy and proggy like TDOE. Just a thought, but that makes sense to me...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »
Along For The Ride, because I can't imagine that lyric being part of a song. Same goes for others, but the placement seems like it could be about right.

Disagree with the placement - I think in general the instrumental is more towards the middle of the album. As for which song based on title alone, I'm going with Behind the Veil as my random guess. As for you not imagining Along For the Ride being a lyric, everyone assumed that Constant Motion was gonna be an instrumental and look at how that turned out!

I was thinking SoC style, but then again, if the epic starts off with an instrumental overture (which the name would suggest it does), you're likely right. But oh well, I've already voted! I'm going to be very interested to hear how these titles relate to the songs, maybe more so than any other DT album (except maybe SC).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 12:17:20 AM »
Behind the Veil was my guess.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:31 AM »
I voted for Enigma Machine for the instrumental. I'm gonna say it's 6-8 mins long. For ballad, I'm gonna go with Along For the Ride. That's either the ballad or something very similar to Surrounded/Innocence Faded.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
Voted for Enigma Machine because it just screamed "instrumental title".

Offline Systematik88

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
Enigma Machine.  Especially after reading about it on wiki

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »

:neverusethis:

I guess Enigma Machine will be the instrumental, although I wouldn't mind it being Along For The Ride, because I fear some TCOT-like lyrics :tdwn
But that one seems to have vocals, so it probably is Enigma Machine.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »

:neverusethis:

I guess Enigma Machine will be the instrumental, although I wouldn't mind it being Along For The Ride, because I fear some TCOT-like lyrics :tdwn
But that one seems to have vocals, so it probably is Enigma Machine.

I imagine Along For The Ride being more like This Is The Life in terms of lyrical subject matter.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
I imagine Along For The Ride being more like This Is The Life in terms of lyrical subject matter.
I got that vibe, too.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »
Why?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2013, 10:48:21 AM »
The title just gives me the impression that it could be about life in general :dunno:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
Hopefully yes, but unfortunately it reminds me of trips with tuscan counts and fine vintage wine :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »
False Awakening Suite.

Here's my logic.

That makes a lot of sense.....but we shall see.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
I'm positive that at least the first section of the False Awakening Suite will be instrumental. My theory is that the first section (at least) will be their opening music (played over the speakers) for the tour.

They used the Inception theme AND the beginning of Bridges in the Sky last time around, and I think this time, it makes more sense to just have the opening music be their own.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
I voted Enigma Machine, just seems like the most obscure title, that I have a tough time imagining lyrics for. I understand why people picked Along For The Ride, but I kind of side with those who have said it might be more of a ballad, like TITL.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2013, 08:19:14 PM »
It can't be Along for the Ride as that kept its working title and on the progress chart it clearly had lyrics.  Unless The Clover is now Along for the Ride and Along for the Ride is, I don't know, The Looking Glass?*

*Not entirely serious

Shoot, just voted "Along for the Ride".  I thought if the tour is named after this song, it made sense if it was instrumental (don't know why and can't explain).  But if the chart showed it had lyrics....

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »
False Awakening Suite.

Here's my logic.

Based on Studio Diary pt. 3, I totally called this.

John confirmed that the first track is an instrumental and that it's the band's intro theme.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
Yeah, I called that too and I had it confirmed when that video leaked. He essentially says there's *two* instrumentals though, so which one is the other? :p
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »
Two instrumentals. False Awakening Suite, and either Enigma Machine or Behind the Veil.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
I still think he might mean just Sleep Paralysis as a section is instrumental. I can't see a 2 or 3 minute track - which it must be if it's going to be an intro tape - being called a suite.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
I still think he might mean just Sleep Paralysis as a section is instrumental. I can't see a 2 or 3 minute track - which it must be if it's going to be an intro tape - being called a suite.

That was my understanding also.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »

My thoughts as well.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 09:39:42 AM »

That's the impression I got.

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
Did nobody noticed yet that on the whiteboard there's an "Opening" song which is instrumental ??? I'm almost 100% sure that it is the False Awakening Suite... And even JP said on the third video that it's instrumental but I thought it was clear from the beginning when the tracklist was revealed.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
Did nobody noticed yet that on the whiteboard there's an "Opening" song which is instrumental ??? I'm almost 100% sure that it is the False Awakening Suite... And even JP said on the third video that it's instrumental but I thought it was clear from the beginning when the tracklist was revealed.

Soooooo...what exactly is the issue?

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2013, 02:26:35 AM »

Well nothing is issue I just wanted to point out this fact that the whole suite will be instrumental based on the whiteboard that's all :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »

Well nothing is issue I just wanted to point out this fact that the whole suite will be instrumental based on the whiteboard that's all :)
I think it might mean they split Sleep Paralysis (the instrumental) from the rest of the suite in the chart.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2013, 03:25:15 AM »

...or just Sleep Paralysis.