Author Topic: Burton & Depp. Are they done ?  (Read 5522 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Burton & Depp. Are they done ?
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »
So, Johnny Depp's last three films all tanked

• The Lone Ranger
• Dark Shadows
• The Rum Diary

And Tim Burton's last two also.

• Frankenweenie
• Dark Shadows

Have people had enough of these two finally ?

I don't think Tim Burton has had a decent film since Ed Wood - which is by far my favourite film of his.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Burton & Depp. Are they done ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:06:47 AM »
Johnny Depp is actually a great actor, just has been doing the same role for a long time now. He needs to get back to not huge block busters aimed at families again.

And Tim Burton's last great film was Big Fish.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »
Johnny Depp is actually a great actor, just has been doing the same role for a long time now. He needs to get back to not huge block busters aimed at families again.

I caught Big Fish recently  [ pun intended ] and it seemed ok. I was at work so wasn't really following it. But I loved Ed Wood. It was his most basic film so far - it didn't have too many of his usual tropes and was more or less just a biopic. He's definitely got stuck in a rut now of cartoony gothic fairy tales.

Online Adami

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:11:56 AM »

I caught Big Fish recently  [ pun intended ] and it seemed ok. I was at work so wasn't really following it. But I loved Ed Wood. It was his most basic film so far - it didn't have too many of his usual tropes and was more or less just a biopic. He's definitely got stuck in a rut now of cartoony gothic fairy tales.

Try Big Fish again. Ed Wood is brilliant, it's one of my favorites. Big Fish is so good that you forget it's Tim Burton.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:16 AM »
I feel like every character Depp does is just an over the top forced role. To me, every character he's done (with the exception of ALice in Wonderland, which sucked) since the first POC, has been Jack Sparrow with different makeup. Why can't he do a role where he's just a guy and not some goofy make believe thing?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »
Depp is awesome, and far from done. He just needs to pick more serious roles occasionally.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:20:02 AM »
I'm absolutely amazed we haven't seen a sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas. I always wanted to see what was down some of those other trees! Not to mention, the movie has gained a colt-like following over the last decade, and it would probably do really well at the box office.

edit*

Just googled and found out TNBC came out in 1993... shit, I feel old  :'(

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »
I'm absolutely amazed we haven't seen a sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas. I always wanted to see what was down some of those other trees! Not to mention, the movie has gained a colt-like following over the last decade, and it would probably do really well at the box office.

edit*

Just googled and found out TNBC came out in 1993... shit, I feel old  :'(

Quit horsing around.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »
I don't think any of them is done, I believe they still have it in them to do great movies. BUT therefore they need to get out of the comfort zone. Depp more so than Burton.

Oh and Big Fish is a great movie, Everyone should have seen it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
I thought frankenweenie was ok for what it was. My kids enjoyed it.

As far as JD goes I like him and think he's a tremendous actor but I think he's gone a bit too Hollywoodfamilyblockbustery. I like the way guys like Pitt and Clooney et al keep things fresh by doing off the wall stuff occasionally. Like Inglorious Bastards, Burn After Reading. My brother and I were talking the other day about how JD could do with a Coen brothers or Tarantino type movie. I think it'd be a good match.

I like JD more in his less quirky roles. I thought Donnie Brasco was a cool film and he played that part really well.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Depp is awesome, and far from done. He just needs to pick more serious roles occasionally.

Agreed.  I love to see him do something along the lines of "Donnie Brasco" again.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »
I don't know if they're "done" but I'd like to believe people finally got tired of seeing them doing the same movie/character over and over.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Hey, I thought Sweeney Todd was an excellent adaptation of an excellent musical.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
"Big Fish" was magnificent!

And Depp was very cool in "Chocolat"

I agree with above sentiments that both of them are fine artists (especially Depp) -- they just need to get out of the ruts they've been in.  I don't even have a problem with Burton using a regular core group of actors à la Woody Allen, Coen Brothers, Spike Lee, Tarantino (I like Helena Bonham-Carter).  Just make some *different* movies, for cryin' out loud!!!   :angry:
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 11:42:57 AM »

This. So much this it hurts. Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas has some of the best acting I have ever come across.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
No.  A few bad movies does not destroy your career when you are as accomplished at those guys.

Hell, Al Pacino, after dominating the 70s, kind of fell off the map for a while and had several stinkers in the 80s, Scarface notwithstanding, before coming back strong in the early 90s.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
I hope so.
Both of them should get away from eachother and the "OH ME SO QUIRKY" stuff they have been doing for years.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »

This. So much this it hurts. Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas has some of the best acting I have ever come across.

Let us not forget Gilbert Grape.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

I agree with above sentiments that both of them are fine artists (especially Depp) -- they just need to get out of the ruts they've been in.  I don't even have a problem with Burton using a regular core group of actors à la Woody Allen, Coen Brothers, Spike Lee, Tarantino (I like Helena Bonham-Carter).  Just make some *different* movies, for cryin' out loud!!!   :angry:

Tim Burton's recent works have bugged the crap out of me....but Big Fish is the greatest film ever made, and it's not one of his early works. So I still hold out hope.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
I saw recently an interview where Depp claims he more than likely will plan to call it quits in a few years. Perhaps he's just trying to build a greater legacy, and fortune before he says goodbye to acting.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:06:50 AM »
There was a time when Tim Burton was my favorite director, circa Batman 1 & 2, beetlejuice era, but I can't stand his work anymore.

His last film that I actually enjoyed with Sleepy Hollow.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 09:12:01 AM »
I'm not really a fan of either, but it would be interesting to see Depp do something differently. As for Burton, I don't think he has done anything in the last 15 years or so, that I have liked.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 09:14:29 AM »
I saw recently an interview where Depp claims he more than likely will plan to call it quits in a few years. Perhaps he's just trying to build a greater legacy, and fortune before he says goodbye to acting.

I was actually thinking today whether he was just doing big roles to bring in the $$$ for later in life.

I know he gets paid the same whatever happens but y'know :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »

Let us not forget Gilbert Grape.

Absolutely. Gilbert Grape has my favourite Depp acting.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Adami

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 09:42:09 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV3MQtpYikM

At least Depp's aware of all of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »
I like it when people can still make fun of themselves, no matter how ridiculously successful they are.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:49 AM »
Isn't it easier to make fun of yourself when you're a millionaire ? You're like - well I've got $50m in the bank - I don't care...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 11:43:52 AM »
Not necessarily.  It still comes down to your personality.  Some actors would say "No way.  I take myself and my work very seriously, and I'm not going to do some stupid sketch that implies anything otherwise."

What's interesting about that clip is that Johnny may actually be exactly how he comes across in the clip, full of himself and truly thinking that every role of his is unique.  Or he could be "acting" in the clip and in reality is nothing like that (which I think is far closer to the truth).  Or anywhere in between.  But ultimately, he comes across serious, while still lampooning himself.

Offline sueño

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »

Tim Burton's recent works have bugged the crap out of me....but Big Fish is the greatest film ever made, and it's not one of his early works. So I still hold out hope.

Not Burton OR Depp...but here's from one of my favorite films of all time, "The Shawshank Redemption":

“hope is a good thing. maybe the best of good things. and no good thing ever dies”

:)

"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline masterthes

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:38 PM »
Sweeney Todd was great. It was nominated for Best Picture, and Alice in Wonderland was somewhat decent

Offline sueño

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
I did like "Sweeney Todd".  I happen to love the songs in it.  :)

And it was a good sort of movie for Burton to make.  Right up his street!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
Sweeney Todd was great. It was nominated for Best Picture
While Sweeney Todd was good, Avatar & The Blind Side were also nominated for Best Picture....
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »
I didn't realize there were people out there who even thought this was still a question. I thought we as a society acknowledged they were both creatively dead a long time ago. Both will continue to rake in money, but their name attached to anything will pretty much assure that I stay away nowadays.

And Big Fish was an AMAZING movie.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
while i haven't seen the lone ranger, it's kinda unfair that it was 'destined to fail' so long before its release