Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905878 times)

Offline chaotic_ripper

Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #6055 on: August 28, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »

• Yes - 13 is 8 + 5 - this can't have escaped their attention.

I'm pretty sure that Portnoy was the only one in the band to think that way.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #6056 on: August 28, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »
That video is nice, James' comments made my day :lol

"What the fuck was I thinking?"

We all wish we knew, James. :lol It's funny. They look like they're having so much fun, which is awesome!
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #6057 on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Portnoy was the only one in the band to think that way.

You sure? They released TEI on 8/5/13 (for us Americans) and I doubt Portnoy had any influence on that. I think that might be a thing with all of them now.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6058 on: August 28, 2013, 12:57:49 PM »
Pretty cool video. Seems like it confirms cyberdrummer's experience that the album was a mesh between Images, TOT, Octavarium and SDOIT.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #6059 on: August 28, 2013, 01:23:48 PM »
Great video. I was  :rollin from about half way in until end. James'  :| was great. Would have liked to hear JM and MM's names at least mentioned, but whatever.

On a site note, JP is looking quite a bit slimmer these days. I for one, kind of like it, he seems a bit more personable now. Less bear-y.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6060 on: August 28, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
Pretty cool video. Seems like it confirms cyberdrummer's experience that the album was a mesh between Images, TOT, Octavarium and SDOIT.
Or maybe just... something else?

Sorry but I just pictured someone trying to describe a giraffe to someone else who's never seen it before. "Well you know, it's got the body of a horse, no wait... camel... but way, waaaaaay taller! And then spots all over... like a friggin' leopard! And men it even has fu**ing horns!!"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #6061 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »
Could someone make a transcription of the funny part where they were laughing and apparently JLB says "what was I thinking"? I can't watch it with sound because of the freakin background music! haha

Offline JohnnyLayne

• His Dudeness
« Reply #6062 on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
Album 13 seems to me the perfect time to do a concept or double album.

• 30th anniversary - assuming the next album comes out in 2015.

• Third album with Mangini.
First album was - we're still Dream Theater. Second album was - let's see what we can do. Third album should be the massive opus.

• James and John both seemed to hint that they would do one again soon.

And you forgot:

2+0+1+5 = 8
20-15 = 5

:eek

Offline Ad134

« Reply #6063 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »
Could someone make a transcription of the funny part where they were laughing and apparently JLB says "what was I thinking"? I can't watch it with sound because of the freakin background music! haha

When writing melody, do you write specific to range?
JLB: A lot of that might stand true with when I'm doing my solo stuff. With Dream Theater it's a different approach - musically - because you have two very powerful musical forces, being (as composers) John and Jordan. There's a lot of stuff going on there. It's like what I was saying during this process... this isn't an easy answer because there's so many layers to it, right?

JP: Mmm hmm.

JLB: But, you know, I was saying... If you don't get your foot in there quickly enough, your voice in where you want to say "oh yeah, this is what I'm hearing", you're lost in the shuffle. I mean, there were many moments, I'd be like "HEY GUYS... HANG ON A SEC, GUYS GUYS" and they'd be like "BOLDODODLDODODLDLODODBUBUBUBU, THATWASAGOODONE, BRBRBRLRBRBRBDBDBDBDBD", and then I'd be like, "the fuck was I thinking about? Where was I going to go with this?" You know, they'd pull it back so you'd see me running out of the room and I'm like "BLEBLEBLEEBLOBLABLABLASUMUSMSANAAABLA", and I'd come back and they'd be going "uhh, yeah, you know that thing, we changed that, we're gonna go in this direction now." "Oh, that makes that irrelevant what I was thinking".

JP: That's so two hours ago, James.

*both laugh*

JLB: Totally! "James, we're not even going there anymore." "Uh. Okay." But as far as the melody structuring and how that all goes about, it's initially sitting down - in this instance it was Jordan, John and myself sitting down - and then John taking those melodies and going away, writing the lyrics. When he started to write the lyrics - because a lot of the way John works is he completely isolates himself in a room or somewhere within the studio that no one else is around, has his acoustic guitar, and he starts singing through his words, and so the melody's taking on another shape there.

So, my involvement at that point is to wait for that to be concluded, then come in. How does it feel to me? How is it going to be sung? Is it something that sings well or doesn't? So we keep working it, and then it works again for me when I get behind the microphone, it also takes on a whole new feel and there's certain alterations that are absolutely necessary. But, for the most part, if I come in and give these guys some ideas, or if I'm sitting there and I hear something (and get the opportunity to blurt it out before they move on), then that's it. That's basically my role. It really comes down to me as a singer, and how I can bring the best of what needs to be said vocally.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6064 on: August 28, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
Album 13 seems to me the perfect time to do a concept or double album.

• 30th anniversary - assuming the next album comes out in 2015.

• Third album with Mangini.
First album was - we're still Dream Theater. Second album was - let's see what we can do. Third album should be the massive opus.

• James and John both seemed to hint that they would do one again soon.

And you forgot:

2+0+1+5 = 8
20-15 = 5

:eek

It should be a concept album about Back To The Future 2.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #6065 on: August 28, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »

*Ad134's awesome transcription*

OMG thank you!!!! If there's any DT favor I can do for you, let me know!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #6066 on: August 28, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »
I mean, there were many moments, I'd be like "HEY GUYS... HANG ON A SEC, GUYS GUYS" and they'd be like "BOLDODODLDODODLDLODODBUBUBUBU, THATWASAGOODONE, BRBRBRLRBRBRBDBDBDBDBD", and then I'd be like, "the fuck was I thinking about? Where was I going to go with this?" You know, they'd pull it back so you'd see me running out of the room and I'm like "BLEBLEBLEEBLOBLABLABLASUMUSMSANAAABLA",

:lol  Haven't seen the vid yet, but I can totally imagine what that sounds like!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6067 on: August 28, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
I imagine it must get quite annoying / daunting listening to 4 world class virtuoso musicians jamming / trying to write a song :lol

Guys i........Hey I.......Can I........I've.....I just.........GUYS !!!............I got an IDEA!!!!

*all stop* Hey James - what's up ?

James :........i'm going to Starbucks.  :sadpanda:

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #6068 on: August 28, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
 :lol

Btw, that transcription might make that video funnier.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #6069 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
That part with the JLB air guitar should be a GIF. :lol

Terrific short interview though. It gave some solid insight into how the lyrics and the vocals come along.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6070 on: August 28, 2013, 04:16:55 PM »
I'm surprised by how short False Awakening Suite is, considering it's a 3-movement song. Each movement would be under a minute long.

Offline jyoung320

• Trapped inside this OCTOQUARIUM! (Misheard lyrics)
« Reply #6071 on: August 28, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »
Has anyone seen this album cover yet? Roadrunner used it in their last video with John and James' Interview, and now Amazon is using it. I wish the logo was on the top, rather than the bottom though...

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8188vcdCqlL._SL1500_.jpg

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6072 on: August 28, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
Little known fact: for Falling Into Infinity, the original album title was intended to be Stream of Consciousness, but when that was scrapped (even though favored by both MP and JP - other members, unite!), one of the ideas kicked around was. . . Dream Theater.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #6073 on: August 28, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »
Little known fact: for Falling Into Infinity, the original album title was intended to be Stream of Consciousness, but when that was scrapped (even though favored by both MP and JP - other members, unite!), one of the ideas kicked around was. . . Dream Theater.

Reminds me of the "in a stream of consciousness" part of Lines In The Sand, always thought that was peculiar. I didn't know that little fact, makes sense now.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6074 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
I remember reading somewhere that MP didn't like the idea of a selftitled album.

Also, glad they didn't go with Stream Of Consciousness. That title doesn't really fit the music.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6075 on: August 28, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
Personally, I was hoping they'd leave the title off the cover. Shame.

Also, glad they didn't go with Stream Of Consciousness. That title doesn't really fit the music.

Well, yeah, not after the label made them restructure all the songs. That's like, the opposite of the sheer concept of Stream of Consciousness.

Though to be honest, I didn't think the title fit the ToT instrumental very well either.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6076 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Has anyone seen this album cover yet? Roadrunner used it in their last video with John and James' Interview, and now Amazon is using it. I wish the logo was on the top, rather than the bottom though...

https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/8188vcdCqlL._SL1500_.jpg

Surprised about this actually. Every interview has said it's just the logo, no band name or anything. Did they cave?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

« Reply #6077 on: August 28, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
Maybe vetoed by RR?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6078 on: August 28, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
I thought having the band name on there was just for promo stuff, although I'd prefer it with an album title anyway. I've never liked albums without words on them. I want images AND words.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline fllnsprrw

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6079 on: August 28, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
That symbol...still looks...wrong. My wish didn't come true. I guess they're never gonna fix it. Am i the only one perturbed by this? Does no one really care? Why is this not talked about more? Why is no one asking the band members about this in any of the interviews? Please, can anyone with a hotline to the DT camp find out? anything. I need at least a reason why.
1. Images & Words/ 2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence/ 3. Scenes From a Memory

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6080 on: August 28, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
It's just a little different.  Like Van Halen changed their logo with 5150.  It's their symbol, they can do what they want with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #6081 on: August 28, 2013, 09:01:52 PM »
I wouldn't mind it if the logo was sharper, but it looks like a complete afterthought to me. The cover looks much better with no text. Maybe if it had been chrome like the Majesty symbol I would've liked it.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6082 on: August 28, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
In the interview that goo-goo just posted he mentions only the logo too...

I wouldn't mind it if the logo was sharper, but it looks like a complete afterthought to me. The cover looks much better with no text. Maybe if it had been chrome like the Majesty symbol I would've liked it.

I don't mind it. I like blue  :tup

« Reply #6083 on: August 28, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »
I find it interesting that Queensryche slightly redesigned their logo in their self-titled as well.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #6084 on: August 29, 2013, 12:33:34 AM »
The logo doesn't really bother me because it still looks like what it originally was so you can still tell its the Majesty symbol. Symbols(especially for bands)change sometimes just like the music of the band changes.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline adastra

« Reply #6085 on: August 29, 2013, 12:36:59 AM »
First when I saw the new cover, I was like "It needs the logo!!!",  but not anymore :3 
It's maybe the best cover by DT IMO. Simple and recognizable!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6086 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:10 AM »
First when I saw the new cover, I was like "It needs the logo!!!",  but not anymore :3 
It's maybe the best cover by DT IMO. Simple and recognizable!

I agree. I originally thought it looked strange without the logo. Now that I've seen it with the logo, I want it gone. It's more aesthetically pleasing to me with just the Majesty symbol. Come to think of it, I imagine everything has already gone to printing and is about to be shipped out to retail distributors. :caffeine:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline illusionist

« Reply #6087 on: August 29, 2013, 01:06:40 AM »
I understand the logo in the center and all,but what has the earth got to do with it?What does it represent more specifically?
Oh,and what is all this thing about 5,8,13,fiveeightforum etc.Can someone elaborate on that?I may be missing something.Thank you.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #6088 on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »
 :corn
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6089 on: August 29, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »
I think the band logo may be just a sticker or on the plastic or something... maybe a slipcase. I don't know if it'll be on the printed version.