Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905858 times)

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5985 on: August 27, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
AH, one of the Instagram comments and now I can't unsee it: "Capitalize the W in Caught In A Web or so help me."  :eek
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5986 on: August 27, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »
Cartoon intro? Does this mean that Blob's unicycler in BITS intro or some new Mika Tyyskä's projection?
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #5987 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »
Guys this is all quite OT.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5988 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
Cartoon intro? Does this mean that Blob's unicycler in BITS intro or some new Mika Tyyskä's projection?

Mika Tyyska had the intro video of the DT cartoon characters to the Inception Dream is Collapsing music.

But this should be in the Luna Park thread.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline liran95

« Reply #5989 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
AH, one of the Instagram comments and now I can't unsee it: "Capitalize the W in Caught In A Web or so help me."  :eek

Dammit.  :censored

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5990 on: August 27, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »

Mika Tyyska had the intro video of the DT cartoon characters to the Inception Dream is Collapsing music.

But this should be in the Luna Park thread.

Oh I see, I didn't catch this tour so I din't know that. Thanks!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5991 on: August 27, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
Glad there's way more extras on the Luna Park DVD than the "deluxe Edition" of Dream Theater.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5992 on: August 27, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
Glad there's way more extras on the Luna Park DVD than the "deluxe Edition" of Dream Theater.
Me too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5993 on: August 27, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
That's sadly not how I see any album ever. Especially not DT's. Six Degrees may be the closest but it has it's obvious flaws as well.

I'm curious as to what the "obvious flaws" are, that aren't based on your own opinion.

Everything I will ever think of as a "flaw" of any kind will without a single exception be based on my own opinion, so I don't really understand what you mean.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5994 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
Would you rather have a medium amount of good pizza, or all you can eat of pretty good pizza?

Damn, nobody got the reference.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5995 on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

This
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline Systematik88

« Reply #5996 on: August 27, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »

Apparently the same universe where one of DT's most highly regarded albums, IaW, is only 57 minutes long.

I have to quote this again because it seems ridiculous people are worried about losing a few extra minutes compared to past DT albums. 

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #5997 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
I actually like the snare sound of I&W. It's different.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5998 on: August 27, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »
Would you rather have a medium amount of good pizza, or all you can eat of pretty good pizza?

Damn, nobody got the reference.
o/
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5999 on: August 27, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »
That's sadly not how I see any album ever. Especially not DT's. Six Degrees may be the closest but it has it's obvious flaws as well.

I'm curious as to what the "obvious flaws" are, that aren't based on your own opinion.

The outro to Misunderstood comes to mind.

FTFM.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6000 on: August 27, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
Looks like maybe another slow promo week??

Offline JPX

« Reply #6001 on: August 27, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »

Everything I will ever think of as a "flaw" of any kind will without a single exception be based on my own opinion, so I don't really understand what you mean.

A flaw is something that is inherently wrong with something, so you may want to rephrase your comment if it's based on opinion.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #6002 on: August 27, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »

A flaw is something that is inherently wrong with something, so you may want to rephrase your comment if it's based on opinion.

I have always honestly been curious if people that make comments such this (and it happens all of the time all over the internet) actually do not know that people's opinions are opinions without the words "in my opinion" in each sentence or paragraph, or if they are putting on airs to make some sort of online argument power play to get the upper hand.  I lean towards the latter, since I'm pretty sure I've never met anyone who needed the words "ADVERTISEMENT" blinking on the screen during commercials.  Any enlightenment here?  And I'm actually curious, do they not know or are we playing word games here?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:42:27 PM by commanderbob »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6003 on: August 27, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »

What I don't understand is why say "especially not DT's"? How does DT have more flaws than other bands?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #6004 on: August 27, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
Looks like maybe another slow promo week??

yeah, I think at that point we have to wait beginning of the second week of September to see something more interesting, almost some track by track review and interviews...I don't think we'll hear any snippet this time.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #6005 on: August 27, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »

I have always honestly been curious if people that make comments such this (and it happens all of the time all over the internet) actually do not know that people's opinions are opinions without the words "in my opinion" in each sentence or paragraph, or if they are putting on airs to make some sort of online argument power play to get the upper hand.  I lean towards the latter, since I'm pretty sure I've never met anyone who needed the words "ADVERTISEMENT" blinking on the screen during commercials.  Any enlightenment here?  And I'm actually curious, do they not know or are we playing word games here?

I'm not sure that an opinion's just an affirmative statement with the words "In my opinion" trailing out of its arse. They're very different forms of speech, and if you're writing in a facty way, "IMO" is only barely paper over the cracks. "The writing is terrible" and "The writing is terrible IMO" don't feel distinct at all, and are both pretty flatly confrontational. The way the sentence is structured, it's like you don't think the opinion needs substantiating, like it's self-evident. "The writing is terrible" and "I don't like the writing," on the other hand, are night and day. The first is an affirmative statement, aims to be the last word. The latter invites questions. It's perhaps part of a... discussion!

It's not a particularly minor distinction - we're on the internet, words are all we've got! We don't know you, we have no idea what your intention is. People object to people phrasing opinions as facts because they can, at worst, make a post seem really rather arrogant and nasty - and, regrettably, since you're a stranger, we have no way of knowing that you're not! I'm sure you've posted what you've posted with all the best will in the world, but when you phrase things you know are opinions like they're facts, there's innately a disconnect between your version of what you're saying and our version of what we're reading.

We don't know you. Say the things you mean! It'd be nice to presume good faith, but... may I refer you back to, "we're on the internet!"

ETA: General "you," of course. "You, the citizens of the internet." Not, "You, commanderbob, CHANGE YOUR WAYS!"
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:54:36 PM by robwebster »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6006 on: August 27, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
I'm not sure that an opinion's just an affirmative statement with the words "In my opinion" trailing out of its arse. They're very different forms of speech, and if you're writing in a facty way, "IMO" is only barely paper over the cracks. "The writing is terrible" and "The writing is terrible IMO" don't feel distinct at all, and are both pretty flatly confrontational. The way the sentence is structured, it's like you don't think the opinion needs substantiating, like it's self-evident. "The writing is terrible" and "I don't like the writing," on the other hand, are night and day. The first is an affirmative statement, aims to be the last word. The latter invites questions. It's perhaps part of a... discussion!

It's not a particularly minor distinction - we're on the internet, words are all we've got! We don't know you, we have no idea what your intention is. People object to people phrasing opinions as facts because they can, at worst, make a post seem really rather arrogant and nasty - and, regrettably, since you're a stranger, we have no way of knowing that you're not! I'm sure you've posted what you've posted with all the best will in the world, but when you phrase things you know are opinions like they're facts, there's innately a disconnect between your version of what you're saying and our version of what we're reading.

We don't know you. Say the things you mean! It'd be nice to presume good faith, but... may I refer you back to, "we're on the internet!"

ETA: General "you," of course. "You, the citizens of the internet." Not, "You, commanderbob, CHANGE YOUR WAYS!"

QFT! :clap:

Communication is always a collaboration. We authors should take at least partial responsibility when our message consistently falls short.

IMHO.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6007 on: August 27, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »

How does DT have more flaws than other bands?

By making music less good than other bands.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #6008 on: August 27, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »

:huh: :huh: :huh: :justjen
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #6009 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »

They make less good music, because they make more great music. :neverusethis:

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6010 on: August 27, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

Yeah, I guess you've just read robwebster's post very carefully.

Offline 425

« Reply #6011 on: August 27, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »

The only possible interpretation of that exchange, taken literally, is that Dream Theater is your least favorite band. Since no album is perfect, "especially" not Dream Theater albums, that must mean that Dream Theater albums are the most imperfect of all albums. It would then follow that Dream Theater is your least favorite band.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6012 on: August 27, 2013, 05:19:15 PM »

"The writing is terrible" and "The writing is terrible IMO" don't feel distinct at all, and are both pretty flatly confrontational.

Agreed.

" The writing is terrible " hardly even needs IMO after it since it is obviously your opinion as you are the one saying it.

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #6013 on: August 27, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that it should be assumed that what people say on these forums is an opinion? Someone says something without explicitly stating that it is their opinion, and people think that it's said as fact. I don't get it.

:facepalm:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6014 on: August 27, 2013, 06:56:36 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that it should be assumed that what people say on these forums is an opinion?

No, I agree with you, so you aren't totally alone. 

I think people on the internet have a habit of getting a bit too hung up on semantics.  Don't get me wrong, I do understand the value of wording your thoughts clearly - this is the internet, after all, and, as rob so eloquently put it, words are all we have.  Words are the bridge we have to cross in order to come together on the internet.  But to me, the focus should be on coming together, not just analyzing the bridge.  When we get caught up in the semantics and argue with each other about how we should phrase our sentences, we're basically burning the bridges between us. 

I think I've taken that metaphor about as far as it can go, so let me speak plainly: words are important, yes, but people should also be able to speak freely.  The internet's no fun if you have to watch what you say all the time and be careful to word everything perfectly so that nobody takes anything you say the wrong way. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jsbru

« Reply #6015 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
So according to you, every song with palm mutes and distorted guitar is heavy?

. . .

I don't get this. Do you think that normally, heavier songs can't be good songs?

. . .

Could you please tell me what kind of problem you have with palm muted E-strings :huh:

Palm mutes and distorted guitar are major factors of whether a song is heavy or not.  There are other factors, of course, but that's one of them.

I don't have a problem with heavy songs.  Some of my best friends are heavy songs.  I bought an Ibanez Universe 15 years ago so I could play songs like The Mirror, Lie, etc.  I think certain tracks from Train of Thought are among some of my favorites.

I just don't want then to rely so much on one single sound.  Awake and I&W have some very heavy parts, but there's a lot of songs and parts of songs on those albums driven more by synth, bass, or lighter guitar riffs, and a lot more parts of songs that have a minimalistic or mysterious feel, rather than just simply balls to the wall.  That's all.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6016 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:43 PM »
Some of my best friends are heavy songs. 

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but either way, it's brilliant.  :clap:
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #6017 on: August 27, 2013, 07:45:41 PM »

They make less good music, because they make more great music. :neverusethis:

Amen!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6018 on: August 27, 2013, 07:46:32 PM »
I approve.  :tup
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:54:55 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6019 on: August 27, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

WTF
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.