Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 905914 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5845 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:01 AM »
ADTOE was still too heavy for me. 

There are many ways I could describe ADTOE, but "heavy" is not one of them (with the exception of BITS) ???

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5846 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:56 AM »
ADTOE = Heavy ??

No way!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5847 on: August 26, 2013, 01:19:09 AM »
There are many ways I could describe ADTOE, but "heavy" is not one of them (with the exception of BITS) ???

BMUBMD was pretty heavy too.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5848 on: August 26, 2013, 03:19:54 AM »

BMUBMD was pretty heavy too.
Yeah but those two songs are about it.

Then again, lots of people call BC&SL "heavy", which I also don't understand. As far as I'm concerned it's only TSF and most of ANTR that are heavy. It probably depends on what other music you listen to though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #5849 on: August 26, 2013, 03:22:07 AM »
Clearly. The only two DT albums I would call heavy are TOT and the two songs you mentioned off BCSL. As for the other albums, two occasionally heavy songs don't make an album heavy by itself (TGP for SDOIT, BITS for ADTOE).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

« Reply #5850 on: August 26, 2013, 03:23:11 AM »
Yeah but those two songs are about it.

Then again, lots of people call BC&SL "heavy", which I also don't understand. As far as I'm concerned it's only TSF and most of ANTR that are heavy. It probably depends on what other music you listen to though.

Well, maybe they're mainly referring to what extremes those particular albums go. Although if that's the case, then Awake, SDOIT and 8VM should be considered heavy too.

Clearly. The only two DT albums I would call heavy are TOT and the two songs you mentioned off BCSL. As for the other albums, two occasionally heavy songs don't make an album heavy by itself (TGP for SDOIT, BITS for ADTOE).

I'd say that Systematic Chaos is all around pretty heavy.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5851 on: August 26, 2013, 03:26:34 AM »
I'm not so sure. Mostly because I haven't listened to a song off that album in almost a year (the last being Prophets Of War). But even then, TDEN isn't that heavy, and neither is ITPOE2, if I remember correctly  :lol
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5852 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »
I'm not so sure. Mostly because I haven't listened to a song off that album in almost a year (the last being Prophets Of War). But even then, TDEN isn't that heavy, and neither is ITPOE2, if I remember correctly  :lol

You're not remembering correctly. :biggrin:
TDEN is probably DT's heaviest song, and the whole album has a heavier edge. I'd say it's easily DT's second heaviest album, behind TOT.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

« Reply #5853 on: August 26, 2013, 03:36:38 AM »

I'd say TDEN is every bit as heavy as ANTR, if not heavier (what with lacking a soft section). ITPOE2 starts out more quietly, but it does build into an awesome metal epic. At the very least ITPOE2 is every bit as heavy as anything Iron Maiden may have ever done. It may not be thrashed out, but it's definitely on the Metal side of things.

EDIT: Best solution to this: Listen to this awesome album again.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5854 on: August 26, 2013, 03:57:58 AM »

You're not remembering correctly. :biggrin:
TDEN is probably DT's heaviest song, and the whole album has a heavier edge. I'd say it's easily DT's second heaviest album, behind TOT.
Probably second overall yeah, but it's still not that heavy really. ITPOE has some heavy bits in but then DT have always done songs with heavy bits in, Forsaken is not heavy, POW is not heavy, Repentance is not heavy, TMOLS is not heavy. Basically it's just CM and TDEN and some bits of ITPOE.

EDIT: TGP, out of interest, do you think of Iron Maiden as heavy?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5855 on: August 26, 2013, 05:15:29 AM »
dunno if anyone've already posted it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vS5vUJ8X_A

Yeah, I think it's been posted. Pretty good interview.

It sounds like he's insinuating that DT is trying to move back to where they started and be a little bit more sonically diverse and more progressive.  I'd love it if they did that.

ADTOE moves in that direction, but not very much.  I'd say it's only 25% of the way there.  I don't think it's really a ton different from SC and BCSL.  ADTOE was still too heavy for me.  Their release of The Enemy Inside, though, suggests more of the same sound, so I'm not sure what will actually happen.  I'd like to hear a sound more reminiscent of the last 3 tracks of Awake.  I might be in the minority here on that one, though.
Diversity includes heaviness. If they're saying it's diverse, they're saying the rest of the album will be different to The Enemy Inside, not the same.

'Sides which, I'm not sure how similar TEI is to anything the band's previously released, anyway. I've never known them to be quite so psychotically progressive and blisteringly heavy both at the same time. They're usually touted - bafflingly - as antitheses. "Oh, I like their metal side," "I prefer their progressive side." It's not either-or, and this is as clearly as they've ever fused them. Which has the brilliant side-effect of making it more concise and tautly written than any single they've released since... any single they've released! Even Constant Motion slowed down for a bit to switch gears - high octane song, sure, but a little sprawling. TEI, though, is a caffeine hit of every dominant facet of the band's identity, compressed into the size of a shot glass. Never loses pace for a second. Not another DT song quite like it, I'd contend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5856 on: August 26, 2013, 06:32:14 AM »
The Enemy Inside is really well constructed I think. I'm always surprised when it ends and it's over 6 minutes long.

Black Clouds era Dream Theater might have put another instrumental section on the end of the song and one more chorus or two just to

push it over 8 minutes - for the sake of it.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5857 on: August 26, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »
I was very surprised to see how much they were able to pack into such a "short" song.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #5858 on: August 26, 2013, 06:57:06 AM »
I was very surprised to see how much they were able to pack into such a "short" song.

I think that this will be said for many of the songs on the album once people get to hear it and digest it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5859 on: August 26, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
The Enemy Inside is really well constructed I think. I'm always surprised when it ends and it's over 6 minutes long.

Black Clouds era Dream Theater might have put another instrumental section on the end of the song and one more chorus or two just to

push it over 8 minutes - for the sake of it.

I think the instrumental section would have looked a lot different if Black Clouds DT were writing it.  I really like TEI's instrumental section for being progressive and interesting without sacrificing the momentum of the song or going on for too long.  If this were a Black Clouds song, it probably would have been an "....and now for something completely different" instrumental interlude a la AROP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5860 on: August 26, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
AROP never really strayed off the path for me, for me, as much as I love ANtR, the last 5 or so minutes were really not needed.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5861 on: August 26, 2013, 11:08:03 AM »
I wonder if they were trying to make BC&SL 6 songs on purpose - because there'a so much material on that album that's all shoved into one song that they could have easily split up into their own songs.

The Beautiful Agony section of Nightmare to Remember for instance.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5862 on: August 26, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »
I wonder if they were trying to make BC&SL 6 songs on purpose - because there'a so much material on that album that's all shoved into one song that they could have easily split up into their own songs.

That section's probably my favorite out of that song  :lol

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #5863 on: August 26, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »
The Beautiful Agony section of ANTR is easily the best part of that song for me.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #5864 on: August 26, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
AROP never really strayed off the path for me

Eh, the instrumental section and the "main" bulk of the song are in completely different tempos and the transitions between them are IMO pretty jarring.  Of course that's not inherently a bad thing but it certainly doesn't do the song any favors. 

Also, this conversation made me listen to AROP for the first time in years.  I forgot how most of the song went. :lol

The Beautiful Agony section could have been its own song but from a lyrical standpoint I think it makes perfect sense that that section is there.  Of course, all bets are off after that section is over.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5865 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
Every time I listen to ANTR - I *always* go - fucking hell man ! is this song STILL going ?  :angry:

It really doesn't need to be 16 mins.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #5866 on: August 26, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »
Anyway, if the rest of the album is as structurally sensible as TEI (as opposed to structurally insensible like ANTR), then I'll be a very happy camper.  And the song lengths and the interviews the band's done seem to indicate that they've been focusing a lot on the songs this time around (rather than throwing a bunch of music together to make epics), which is also a very good thing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5867 on: August 26, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
The Beautiful Agony section of ANTR is easily the best part of that song for me.

For me it works best as part of the song rather than as a standalone song in it's own right. It fits and it works as it is and contrasts well with he rest of the song. It loses impact as just a ballad- just listen to the reworkings of that section on Youtube.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5868 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

For me it works best as part of the song rather than as a standalone song in it's own right. It fits and it works as it is and contrasts well with he rest of the song. It loses impact as just a ballad- just listen to the reworkings of that section on Youtube.
Like hell it does! I'd also question the word "ballad."

So, so, so much better than the album version. I'm sure there's a brilliant edit of A Bullet from the Night waiting to be made, somewhere, too. A Nightmare to Remember, as it appears on the album, is like if they never split Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5869 on: August 26, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of the entire song, so I find that section to be a breath of fresh air for me. Once it's over I feel very little urge to continue listening.

I just looked up people's takes on this section and actually I find it's not bad. It does lose a bit of it's impact without the beginning of the song, true, but I still find it enjoyable.

« Reply #5870 on: August 26, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
EDIT: TGP, out of interest, do you think of Iron Maiden as heavy?

Well, in the grand scheme of Metal, I wouldn't say they're particularly heavy, but they're definitely Metal. I actually think that on the Final Frontier tour, MP chose a pretty bad setlist, because his logic was, "Maiden is Metal, so we should play some of our more metal songs to appeal to them and maybe win over some more fans," but some of the songs that DT played that tour were too heavy and too thrashy compared to Iron Maiden. If he wanted to play songs that would have appealed to Maiden fans, he should've replaced Panic Attack with ITPOE Pt. 1, and Constant Motion with... CIAW or something.

But anyway, the point is, no, I don't think Maiden is that heavy, so I guess instead of saying SC is pretty heavy overall, I should've said, it's pretty Metal, overall. Either way, all I meant was that it's the kind of album that would appeal to the Metal crowd, unlike, say, 8V or SDOIT, where there is a combination of metal songs and softer rock songs.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5871 on: August 26, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of the entire song, so I find that section to be a breath of fresh air for me. Once it's over I feel very little urge to continue listening.

I just looked up people's takes on this section and actually I find it's not bad. It does lose a bit of it's impact without the beginning of the song, true, but I still find it enjoyable.

To me, beautiful music is beautiful music, regardless what came before it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5872 on: August 26, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
I don't think Maiden is that heavy, so I guess instead of saying SC is pretty heavy overall, I should've said, it's pretty Metal, overall. Either way, all I meant was that it's the kind of album that would appeal to the Metal crowd, unlike, say, 8V or SDOIT, where there is a combination of metal songs and softer rock songs.
I agree with you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #5873 on: August 26, 2013, 12:15:21 PM »
Every time I listen to ANTR - I *always* go - fucking hell man ! is this song STILL going ?  :angry:

That's because the OUTRO of the song is like, 5 minutes long. I'm pretty sure it's possible to go through the first section, beautiful agony, and "Day after Day" part in 11 minutes, and then conclude it without having to repeat their previous ideas for 5 minutes. But as it is, I enjoy it regardless, when I'm in the mood for it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5874 on: August 26, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
It's definitely the outro that's too long.  WAY too long.

But I don't like "Day after day" either.

Basically, if everything after the "Beautiful Agony" section was a lot shorter, I would like it a lot more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #5875 on: August 26, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »
A Nightmare to Remember, as it appears on the album, is like if they never split Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul.
Maybe, but TMOLS is a more extreme example and the most poorly structured DT song ever IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5876 on: August 26, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
I think Black Clouds was everything that was wrong with Dream Theater at that period in one album.

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #5877 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »

that's why I love cutting most of recent DT songs...I really appreciate that change of songwriting approach in the last record

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5878 on: August 26, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
A Nightmare to Remember, as it appears on the album, is like if they never split Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul.
Maybe, but TMOLS is a more extreme example and the most poorly structured DT song ever IMO.

Am I the only person who likes TMOLS including the wonky instrumental section in the middle?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5879 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »
No, definitely, there are a lot of people here who agree with you. I'm not one of them.  ::)

- Marco