Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916371 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5355 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:53 AM »

So we're reviewing reviews now. Interesting.

I'm used to having my reviews reviewed! Even by Jordan... :D

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5356 on: August 14, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »
I just had a random thought....JLB is Canadian and the first movement of IT is titled in French......could JLB have written the lyrics for IT??

God, I hope....

"A tout le monde! Raaaawwwwk!"

Ughhh....this reminds me of Mustaine trying to sing in French.   :\
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #5357 on: August 14, 2013, 09:18:23 AM »
The fish
"A tout le monde! Raaaawwwwk!"

Ughhh....this reminds me of Mustaine trying to sing in French.   :\

The final version is not bad (apart from being cheesy as fuck), but what's absolutely horrible is the ATLM demo version :facepalm:

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5359 on: August 14, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
Since John Petrucci has just tweeted a link to a review, I assume it's finally open season.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5360 on: August 14, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »
So get posting your reviews!  :corn
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5361 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »
I can't wait to see that Decibel gave review duties on the new DT record to one of their writers who doesn't like Dream Theater in the first place.  :lol

Offline Edson Wilton

• You can call me faithless.
« Reply #5363 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
hahaha.

At least, the review was tweeted by John Petrucci today.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5364 on: August 14, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »
I don't think anyone was scared about Mangini not being able to fill Portnoy's shoes.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5365 on: August 14, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »
...radio-ready “The Looking Glass”...

More reason that this should have been the clear 7" vinyl!!! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #5366 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:51 PM »
Looking Glass sounds like it could have made a good single too. Hopefully it's better than TEI
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #5367 on: August 14, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Dream Theater - Dream Theater Review

This is definitely an album by Dream Theater, and it contains songs by Dream Theater. These songs contain guitar, keyboard, bass, drums, and vocals. There are some guitar solos. Also some keyboard solos. One of the songs is instrumental. Another is 20 minutes long. Mike Mangini is definitely the drummer. He plays the drums on this album. Overall, definitely an album by Dream Theater.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #5368 on: August 14, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5369 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
BUT WHAT SHAPE IS THE CD ?!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5370 on: August 14, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »
...bass.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #5373 on: August 14, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »
So apparently we're going to have at least 2 "radio-ready" songs on this album.....

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #5374 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:46 PM »
So apparently we're going to have at least 2 "radio-ready" songs on this album.....
Apparently that's a problem?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline GandL

« Reply #5375 on: August 14, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
:lol

Does anybody even know can JLB speak French at all?

I wouldn't be surprised if he can't. I mean, maybe bare minimum, but most people I know, who don't live in Quebec, or don't travel there a lot, don't really speak it. It gets kind of forgotten after high school.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't, this was from last year from a french canadian show where JLB gives some words to one of the guys, and he did all in English, so ...

https://www.staracademie.ca/videos/james-labrie-encourage-jason

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #5376 on: August 14, 2013, 08:50:24 PM »

We will find out I guess, won't we?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5377 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
The last few albums have each had at least one radio-ready song (including one grammy-ready song).  It's no big deal.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5378 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »

We will find out I guess, won't we?

You make it sound like it's a a bad thing.  Silly of you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #5379 on: August 14, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
The last few albums have each had at least one radio-ready song (including one grammy-ready song).  It's no big deal.

It is potentially a huge deal to me. The last album did have one radio-ready song and it turned out to be, in my opinion, the worst song Dream Theater has ever written and recorded. It can't even be fairly regarded as a progressive metal effort. It was just a bad radio friendly metal song that ruined the flow of the album and wasted 6 minutes. I could say the same thing about nearly every one of their previous "radio-ready" songs.

It is even more of a big deal when someone spends, out of blind faith, $125 on the new album, HOPING that Dream Theater puts out an amazing 1 hour of music you will listen to over and over again. I don't want there to be any clunkers on this album. It just so happens that the "radio-ready" songs have mostly been that in the past. And it frightens me when I hear things that seem to indicate the album could have numerous songs of these kind. That would be a move precedented only by DT's weakest albums. As for this album, TEI is not a clunker, but it is not what I had in mind when I dropped $125 on the album. So to me, and to a lot of other devoted fans, it is potentially a big deal.

« Reply #5380 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:51 PM »
It is potentially a huge deal to me. The last album did have one radio-ready song and it turned out to be, in my opinion, the worst song Dream Theater has ever written and recorded. It can't even be fairly regarded as a progressive metal effort. It was just a bad radio friendly metal song that ruined the flow of the album and wasted 6 minutes. I could say the same thing about nearly every one of their previous "radio-ready" songs.

It is even more of a big deal when someone spends, out of blind faith, $125 on the new album, HOPING that Dream Theater puts out an amazing 1 hour of music you will listen to over and over again. I don't want there to be any clunkers on this album. It just so happens that the "radio-ready" songs have mostly been that in the past. And it frightens me when I hear things that seem to indicate the album could have numerous songs of these kind. That would be a move precedented only by DT's weakest albums. As for this album, TEI is not a clunker, but it is not what I had in mind when I dropped $125 on the album. So to me, and to a lot of other devoted fans, it is potentially a big deal.

I was going to say how much I disagree and that you're being overdramatic, and blah blah blah. But instead, I'm just going to say this:

NUUUUUGGGGGEEEETTTTTZZZZZZZ!!!!!!  :yarr

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #5381 on: August 14, 2013, 09:20:35 PM »

I was going to say how much I disagree and that you're being overdramatic, and blah blah blah. But instead, I'm just going to say this:

NUUUUUGGGGGEEEETTTTTZZZZZZZ!!!!!!  :yarr

I am not being overdramatic at all. I have high hopes for this album.

I expect that people disagree and that is fine that they do. I expect that some (dare I even say many) fans prefer St. Anger to Master of Puppets; and I expect that some may prefer Risk to Peace Sells. That's the nature of opinion and personal preference. All I am saying is that I detest these type of DT songs and I hope DT12 contains nothing like them-- especially since I spent a nice chunk of change on it.

« Reply #5382 on: August 14, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »
I am not being overdramatic at all. I have high hopes for this album.

I meant with terms like that it "frightens" you to hear that there might be some radio-friendly songs on the album. Personally, I like the vast majority of DT songs, including their radio friendly ones. On a very rare occasion there might be one song on an album that I'm not too crazy about, or maybe 2 on an album with a higher song list, but that's really not likely. That's why I'm not afraid to confidently pay for the box set. But if you have some consistent songs that you don't like on every album, then paying $125 for the box set is your gamble.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #5383 on: August 14, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »

You really think BMUBMD was their worst song ever?  :huh:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5384 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
I wouldn't call it their worst ever, but it's pretty close to the bottom as far as Dream Theater songs go, even though I like it a fair bit.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #5385 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
I really liked BMUBMD
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #5386 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:41 PM »
I really liked BMUBMD

Me too. Aside from the chorus.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #5387 on: August 14, 2013, 11:00:43 PM »
I'm with Boolsheet, the "radio-friendly" tracks are usually the worst on the album (relative, they are better than most other songs out there). The last time DT didn't write an apparent radio friendly track was 6DOIT. Is it a coincidence that no album since has yet to meet or exceed 6DOIT? I think not. </opinion>

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5388 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
If it comes as a surprise to you that there will be radio friendly songs on the album (or ballads for that matter), I have to wonder if you've ever actually paid attention to the albums. They've all been a good mixture of different styles - that's kinda their signature by now. Believe it or not there are plenty of fans that has come into them because of the radio friendly stuff - me included.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:20:13 AM by noxon »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5389 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:34 AM »
If it comes as a surprise to you that there will be radio friendly songs on the album, (or ballads for. That matter) I have to wonder if you've ever actually paid attention to the albums. They've all been a good mixture of different styles - that's kinda their signature by now. Believe it or not there are plenty of fans that has come into them because of the radio friendly stuff - me included.

Although this is only my opinion, I want to add to this by saying that I think Dream Theater is fantastic at writing any type of song, whether it be something they've done before or have never done before; because of that, I don't believe they have ever written a bad song, and more than likely never will, until the day Dream Theater has ended*.

* - Dream Theater will live on with its fans of course! :metal

TL;DR -