Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916470 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I keep thinking about this line from the 2nd blog that says that IT is 19min long.

I was promised an over 20 min song, just saying. :yeahright
I noticed that too. What the hell?

Oh, come on, don't be a baby.  You're literally whining about a one-minute difference.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I keep thinking about this line from the 2nd blog that says that IT is 19min long.

Maybe the RR guys didn't know the exact lengths, so they were just guessing? Either way, you shouldn't be so disappointed - 19 minutes is quite a lot!
Not disappointed. Actually, it makes more sense if most of it is instrumental. I imagine its very similar to, yet shorter than, 8vm
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
And another one (or won :neverusethis:): https://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/07/dream_theater_listening_party.php?page=2

The comment on the mixing and mastering sounds very promising!
I think that one was posted already.
Oh, I didn't read Thematt202's post carefully enough :facepalm: Now I have to apologize to Mosh for pointing out about the noxon 5/8 thing :lol
  :huh: Not sure what you're talking about. But I'll gladly accept your apology.  :biggrin:
Sorry, I mixed you up with Moor! :blush My brains suck :lol
And I thought I was the blindest on this forum today !!! I am relieved  :biggrin:

Offline mikeyd23

Maybe the RR guys didn't know the exact lengths, so they were just guessing? Either way, you shouldn't be so disappointed - 19 minutes is quite a lot!

Agreed! We definitely shouldn't complain about a 19 minute tune, still very much looking forward to hearing IT!

I'm not disappointed  :D
I was jost hoping for a 23-ish min piece.
But what the hell, FF is only 12 min, and it's making me shit my pants every time I listen to it.

Haha, yep thats the spirit, DT can certainly pack a lot into songs like FF so I'm sure they can pack a lot into 19 minutes as well.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Here we go again.  :facepalm:

Some people get way too caught up in lengths.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
they got caught in a web.

Offline RoDT

Let the speculation begin... what's the real length of PMU? you know since it got cut off...

sorry had to do it :)

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Not to make a big deal out of this, but if TCoT isn't generally classified as an epic like ACoS and 8vm, will Illumination Theory be counted in their ranks?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
I'm sure Illumination Theory will be counted, mostly because of how the song is divided into several parts.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Shadow2222

Not to make a big deal out of this, but if TCoT isn't generally classified as an epic like ACoS and 8vm, will Illumination Theory be counted in their ranks?

Wait a sec, TCOT isn't considered an epic???
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline RoDT

So is the first track, and I doubt that's an epic...

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!

Maybe they thought the intro was long and pointless and shaved a minute off of that? Anyway as ? said, 19 mins is plenty enough!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
If being divided into several parts is a factor into what counts as epic, well.... ;)

Trial of Tears

and

False Awakening ;)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

My guess is, someone saw the song was 19 minutes, then they rounded up and passed it on to someone, saying, "20 minutes," then that person thought 20 meant over 20, and ended up informing us wrong as a sort of broken telephone situation.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sycsa

Yeah, guys, it's not that important. :neverusethis:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.

maybe because TCOT doesn't have distinct sections. Actually now that I think about it, it does. Just for fun I'm gonna give them titles.

I.The Arriving (0:00-3:20)
II.The Meeting (3:20-10:56)
III.Arfraid (10:56-14:17)
IV.Realization (14:17-19:17)

It makes sense that IT is 19 mins, now even more, because there are five parts, and this is four, one part even lasts 7 mins so it fits. The other three minutes will be the Easter Egg definetly.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
I think it's a combination of two factors; length and whether or not it's divided into different sections. ACoS and 8vm have a bunch of smaller movements put together as one song, where TCoT feels more a more unified piece. Not to mention that atmospheric guitar thing in the middle that adds 3 minutes to the piece. Without that it's not much longer than ANTR.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RoDT

maybe because TCOT doesn't have distinct sections. Actually now that I think about it, it does. Just for fun I'm gonna give them titles.

It makes sense that IT is 19 mins, now even more, because there are five parts, and this is four, one part even lasts 7 mins so it fits. The other three minutes will be the Easter Egg definetly.

The easter egg is the scat, being played by Rudess using SampleWiz... obviously

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.

The easter egg is the scat, being played by Rudess using SampleWiz... obviously

i'm imagining the tour. they'll probably play IT as the last song, and then like out of nowhere

BASSADABOOMBOOM BEEE WONG WEWEGANGAN BADABOBOMBOBOM BEEE  :lol :lol
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

My guess is, someone saw the song was 19 minutes, then they rounded up and passed it on to someone, saying, "20 minutes," then that person thought 20 meant over 20, and ended up informing us wrong as a sort of broken telephone situation.
That's plausible and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
If Illumination Theory isn't at least 25 minutes long I'm burning all my DT albums.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I.Arrival (0:00-3:20)
II.Omigosh (3:20-10:56)
III. Rampant Paranoia (10:56-14:17)
IV. Oh IIIIIII'm Silly (14:17-19:17)
Fixed them for me :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

Yeah, guys, it's not that important. :neverusethis:

That's not what SHE said!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?

That's plausible and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true :lol

Thisor the song has a three minute long featureless coda like LosingTime/GF.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
...or it may end with the Easter egg :justjen

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
...or it may end with the Easter egg :justjen

Yes, that's the best guess! 19 minute song, silence and then the egg of wonders :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
It's going to be a reprise of Day After Day
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Dalek? Jeez, I guess i should feel old when the red eye of HAL-9000 isn't clearly identified as such ;)

And HAL's quote is RIGHT THERE  on the picture  ::)

Guys, guys, I know what HAL 9000 is. Daleks don't even have red eyestalks, to begin with. It's just the shape of it. Not to mention, Daleks predate HAL 9000 by a few years (on-screen, anyway, not including Clarke's books!). Saying that something with HAL looks like something from Doctor Who potentially shouldn't make you feel any older than normal since Doctor Who is just as old.

Gah. I'm talking about Doctor Who on the DT forum....
*runs to gallifreybase to talk about Dream Theater to an unsuspecting Doctor Who fan*
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
INB4 115 pages.

Offline RoDT

inb4 single's out (one can wish)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
If Illumination Theory isn't at least 25 minutes long I'm burning all my DT albums.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Thematt202

Wait, so the opener is instrumental, there's an instrumental among the main tracks and the epic is predominantly instrumental? 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline robwebster

Dalek? Jeez, I guess i should feel old when the red eye of HAL-9000 isn't clearly identified as such ;)

And HAL's quote is RIGHT THERE  on the picture  ::)

Gah. I'm talking about Doctor Who on the DT forum....
*runs to gallifreybase to talk about Dream Theater to an unsuspecting Doctor Who fan*
For what it's worth, I can heartily recommend talking about Doctor Who on the DT forum specifically because it's not Gallifrey Base.

I swear, if I hear about DWO's pre-announcement one more time...