Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916413 times)

Offline 425

True. I think we'll probably get something like that closer to the release date. They don't want to give everything away this early. But I agree, what we got was fantastic.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

Am I the only one that keeps seeing pictures of Richard Chycki and James and thinking, damn...why not have a Winter Rose reunion?

Oh, I am the only one?  Ok, sorry...carry on. 

Offline Thematt202

True. I think we'll probably get something like that closer to the release date. They don't want to give everything away this early. But I agree, what we got was fantastic.

What did we get exactly?  I can't see any reviews apart from the blog post from the listening party that has no info whatsoever. 
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Traceability for leaks. Have past promo copies been tagged like that? It seems like a really good way to shut the leak door.

The best possible comments on that link were about the production and sound. YES!!! That's all I really ask for. Good clear
sound and seperation for the instruments.

All of my disc and digital streaming promos since SC have been watermarked.

Offline 425

What did we get exactly?  I can't see any reviews apart from the blog post from the listening party that has no info whatsoever.

https://www.bryanreesman.com/2013/07/31/dream-theater-unveils-new-album-2013/

This one has descriptions of a few of the songs and a general description of the overall sound of the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
And another one (or won :neverusethis:): https://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/07/dream_theater_listening_party.php?page=2

The comment on the mixing and mastering sounds very promising!

Offline Notaclue

• And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend...
I don't know if this has been noticed by some of you guys already, but the album cover has been corrected

P.S. I'm a newb here, so I don't know if the image will display or not, but it's in the MetalInsider interview to MM.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Nope. The line is still there

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

What info do you want really? There were alot of nice nuggetz.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't know if this has been noticed by some of you guys already, but the album cover has been corrected

*pic*

P.S. I'm a newb here, so I don't know if the image will display or not, but it's in the MetalInsider interview to MM.
Welcome!

Yes, someone pointed out about the album cover correction recently, but you posted the original one. The new version looks like this:

Offline aprilethereal

And another one (or won :neverusethis:): https://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/07/dream_theater_listening_party.php?page=2

I think that one was posted already.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Oh, I didn't read Thematt202's post carefully enough :facepalm: Now I have to apologize to Mosh for pointing out about the noxon 5/8 thing :lol

Offline Notaclue

• And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend...
Nope. The line is still there

Oh that's true, my monitor's brightness was too low, sorry about that.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Am I the only one that keeps seeing pictures of Richard Chycki and James and thinking, damn...why not have a Winter Rose reunion?

Oh, I am the only one?  Ok, sorry...carry on.
:lol my thoughts exactly.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline mikeyd23

Great little interview there from MM! Such a great, positive guy!

Really encouraging to hear his comments regarding his comfort level in the studio and the fact that he wasn't afraid to speak up when he felt he should.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Oh, I didn't read Thematt202's post carefully enough :facepalm: Now I have to apologize to Mosh for pointing out about the noxon 5/8 thing :lol
  :huh: Not sure what you're talking about. But I'll gladly accept your apology.  :biggrin:
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
yep guys, the big RR news was Trivium. New song available for free.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
Um, mikemangioy....Your avatar reminds me of a Dalek. Just saying.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
This line:
I hope we play every single stinking note.

And this line:
I’m always finding that one person, and I’m playing for that person.

......I'm totally that one person :neverusethis:
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Man, I really wish DT and Trivium were touring together again.  Well, I mean, I kinda don't because (1) I've seen it already, and (2) EVENING WITH!  But the timing of the album releases is perfect, and it was such a great tour last ime around.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

:huh: Not sure what you're talking about. But I'll gladly accept your apology.  :biggrin:
Sorry, I mixed you up with Moor! :blush My brains suck :lol

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
Exciting times, everyone. :)

Offline liran95

I keep thinking about this line from the 2nd blog that says that IT is 19min long.

I was promised an over 20 min song, just saying. :yeahright

Online Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.
Roadrunner Records Nope, but that news is coming soooooooon too.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Um, mikemangioy....Your avatar reminds me of a Dalek. Just saying.

yeah, it kinda looks like it.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Dalek? Jeez, I guess i should feel old when the red eye of HAL-9000 isn't clearly identified as such ;)

Offline Dream Team

Eh, I'll judge the quality of the production/mixing when I hear it. This could easily be another case of "telling them what they want to hear". And of course it's gonna sound great on a sci-fi system like what they had at the listening party.

But hopefully the fact that the Genie is smiling in the pics indicates he's happy with the drum sound.

The "isolated bass, drums, guitar" quote hopefully just means they locked into a really great groove, and roll with it for a little bit without changing it up every 5 seconds.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
Dalek? Jeez, I guess i should feel old when the red eye of HAL-9000 isn't clearly identified as such ;)

And HAL's quote is RIGHT THERE  on the picture  ::)

Offline RoDT

And another

https://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/31/the-progressive-nation-tour-returns-on-a-boat/

funny enough, the title suggests another topic, but DT took most of it in the end.

*Given that the people from Metal sucks are really brutal towards DT, I can only expect pure gold out of this*

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I keep thinking about this line from the 2nd blog that says that IT is 19min long.

I noticed that too. What the hell?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
And another

https://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/31/the-progressive-nation-tour-returns-on-a-boat/

funny enough, the title suggests another topic, but DT took most of it in the end.

*Given that the people from Metal sucks are really brutal towards DT, I can only expect pure gold out of this*
I think for the most part, it's just Axl and your typical Internet Metal Nerd commenters who bash DT, otherwise Vince and most of the other writers actually like DT, if not nearly as much as everyone here :P

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Sorry, I mixed you up with Moor! :blush My brains suck :lol
Ah okay, that explains it! :lol:

I'll take Genie's word for it, if he says the drums sound good than the drums must sound good.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni

Maybe the RR guys didn't know the exact lengths, so they were just guessing? Either way, you shouldn't be so disappointed - 19 minutes is quite a lot!

Offline RoDT

And another

I think for the most part, it's just Axl and your typical Internet Metal Nerd commenters who bash DT, otherwise Vince and most of the other writers actually like DT, if not nearly as much as everyone here :P

I know that's the site's approach, which makes it really funny and entertaining to read... but I could totally see some DT fans get really upset with such comments. I, on the other hand, embrace the "best effort since Train of Thought" comment. Can't wait!

Offline liran95

Maybe the RR guys didn't know the exact lengths, so they were just guessing? Either way, you shouldn't be so disappointed - 19 minutes is quite a lot!

I'm not disappointed  :D
I was jost hoping for a 23-ish min piece.

But what the hell, FF is only 12 min, and it's making me shit my pants every time I listen to it.