Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916420 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
If they could at least tell us the title lengths..or just the total album length.....does anyone know when they did so with ADTOE?

I don't believe they did with any album. It's pretty trivial information to release. I think they should release it with the tracklist, personally, but it's not something they announce on its own. If you need more official confirmation, wait until it appears on sites like Amazon or iTunes etc, I guess.

Hmm..what was the process with ADTOE? Did it just suddenly appear at iTunes?

I'm actually not sure, as I don't remember it being a point of discussion as it has been this time. But I don't recall track lengths being part of any official announcements. Hopefully somebody else can confirm/deny that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline emtee

If 3 was the final episode there really isn't much left to announce...

-announcement of a single release
-actual single release possibly with video
-info on special editions/packages

Can't really think of anything else unless there is a full blown promo video of some kind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For clarification:  I never meant to convey that 3 was the "final" episode.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline commanderbob

For clarification: does your stating that your not meaning to convey that in and of itself convey or imply anything, or are you simply being precise?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:25:56 AM by commanderbob »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

For clarification: does your stating that your not meaning to convey that in and of itself convey or imply anything, or are you simply being precise?

*Wait's for bosk1 to school him in lawyer speak*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am just imprecisely stating precisely what I mean.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline commanderbob

<GandalfVoice>A moderator is never imprecise, he says precisely what he means to!</GandalfVoice>  ;D

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.

"Imprecisely" has 11 letters in it.  Bosk has "1" in his name.  11+1+12.  DT12!!

NUGGETZ!!!!!

Offline Thematt202

Well it's nearly 4PM here and that's the usual time when announcements are made.  Seems today may be a news-less Tuesday.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
It doesn't matter what time a single is released, it will seem like 6 o clock on a Christmas morning for all of us, I'm sure.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm a little hazy but i'm almost certain that they released the track lengths for Black Clouds along with the titles & artwork.

Granted - this was when MP was in the band and he might have wanted to go like " Hey check out our super proggy album ! "

Track lengths don't really excite me unless they're somehow interesting. Like a few 3 minute songs.

I'm a little hazy but i'm almost certain that they released the track lengths for Black Clouds along with the titles & artwork.

Granted - this was when MP was in the band and he might have wanted to go like " Hey check out our super proggy album ! "

Track lengths don't really excite me unless they're somehow interesting. Like a few 3 minute songs.

To me they're not as much about excitement, as they are about reassurance. Like, "Phew, so there are a few songs that are 7 - 10 minutes long. Now I can relax and not worry that somehow, the album is filled with 5 minute songs.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
It doesn't matter what time a single is released, it will seem like 6 o clock on a Christmas morning for all of us, I'm sure.

:rollin :lol :rollin :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

To me they're not as much about excitement, as they are about reassurance. Like, "Phew, so there are a few songs that are 7 - 10 minutes long. Now I can relax and not worry that somehow, the album is filled with 5 minute songs.
Why would that be a worry? Length =/= quality.

Or so I've been told...

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

Or so I've been told...

Sure, that's what they say to make you feel better.

You can always buy a massive pick-up truck to compensate.

Offline lyfeternl

Or so I've been told...

inb4 penis jokes
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  I wouldn't care if they released an album of ten 5 minute songs.

If they were 10 amazing songs.

inb4 penis jokes

It's like you read my mind....  :omg:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Wow, some of you guys are really antsy.  Get your shit together, everything will be fine.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wow, some of you guys are really antsy.  Get your shit together, everything will be fine.

:yarr

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
In my experience, bands rarely release the track lengths in advance and it's often up to you to find them at some web store.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Amen brotha.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Labrie1984

Tuesdays with no DT-related news do not deserve to exist.

Maybe they don't exist... Today is not happening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Thanks for the tip.

rumborak

This post needs to be acknowledged.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

This is not reality....

Offline philmcson

I predict that there won't be anything...not a snippet, not a single, probably not even an album at all -.-

Yes, the album is gonna be so heavy it'll form a black hole and disappear....

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Thanks for the tip.

rumborak

This post needs to be acknowledged.

Sure it does.  :)

norbert88  :)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline GandL

This is not reality....

Just pretend...

Offline Labrie1984

We gotta keep the faith. DT's religión :)

Or so I've been told...

Maybe not, but reasonably speaking, you'd need at least 7 minutes to be able to fit a couple verses and choruses, plus a typical length of a DT instrumental section into a song. So if a song is only 5 minutes, chances are, it's going to be lacking that long, awesome instrumental section that I'm looking forward to.

Besides, with Dream Theater, everything is pretty much assured anyway.

Offline Petruccinator12

https://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/annihilator-stream-new-song-deadlock-for-24-hours-only/ --> I think that this is just a great idea to promote..maybe DT should employ that kinda tactic..
(Hopefully posting this link isn't against any rules...)

Offline tiagodon

After the Grammy nomination, I don't expect many long songs in the album. Maybe two or three, tops. I think they will be going more commercial in this one!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
20 minute song........ commercial?

Offline 425

I don't think DT cares too much about winning Grammy awards. I mean, I'm sure it was cool for them to be nominated, but I doubt they're going to tailor a whole album just to try to win one. Of course, that fact does not mean that this album won't have mostly shorter songs, in fact I think it has been confirmed that it will, but their decision to write more short songs most likely has nothing to do with the Grammy nomination.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline mikeyd23

Or so I've been told...

Maybe not, but reasonably speaking, you'd need at least 7 minutes to be able to fit a couple verses and choruses, plus a typical length of a DT instrumental section into a song. So if a song is only 5 minutes, chances are, it's going to be lacking that long, awesome instrumental section that I'm looking forward to.

Besides, with Dream Theater, everything is pretty much assured anyway.

You're right, in a 5 minute song chances are there will not be a LONG instrumental section.  More than likely, the "instrumental section" might be a guitar solo in those shorter tunes.  Personally, I agree with you, I look forward to those "classic" long sections as well, but some don't like the long, sometimes called "wanky" DT style sections. 

I guess at the end of the day, it should be whatever suits the song.  I have confidence that DT hopefully composed sections that would suit the song and add to the overall atmosphere of the tune.