Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916405 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
If I never read reviews before buying music, my horizons would be expanding very slowly.

Or I'd end up buying crap because I never read anything contradictory beforehand.

Either way, I lose.

I feel that way about most reviews -- music, film, books, restaurants... I like to have an idea what I'm getting into, even though it probably won't change my initial opinion.

And like others, I have greatly expanded the things I like because I read of gems I'd never come across otherwise.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline matte.braso

I think Classic Rock Presents Prog did a short one the other day. I think the main gist of it was it's heavier and more melodic than ADTOE, DT fans will love it, haters gonna hate.

yep, but that's not a review, they're going to publish one in the next number of CRPP. I'm also expecting Rich to write something soon, as he did for the last two records

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Hey, bosk, have you received an advance copy of the album?
You probably wouldn't tell us...

He posted something in this thread (or was it the other?) that he would probably receive an advance copy, along with other members whom I can't remember, IIRC

No, I wouldn't have said that.  Whether I receive an advance copy or not is not something I feel appropriate to share.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.

He posted something in this thread (or was it the other?) that he would probably receive an advance copy, along with other members whom I can't remember, IIRC

No, I wouldn't have said that.  Whether I receive an advance copy or not is not something I feel appropriate to share.

Ah, sorry then. Was sure I've read something of the kind, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't really much care for reviews.  For one, most critics are dopes (although I am sure most early DT reviews won't come from full time critics), and for two, DT albums have pretty much gotten good reviews across the board for the last 10+ years, and many of those albums are their least best ones, IMO, so a glowing review for the forthcoming album won't really mean a lot.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Ah, sorry then. Was sure I've read something of the kind, though.

No worries.  You either confused me with someone else, or maybe just misunderstood something I said.  But since you attributed it to me, I had to make the correction.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow2222

Just to chime in about the review thing. I now write for Lady Obscure, and when I write a review, even if I looooove the album, I will still mention any possible flaws, even if they don't heavily detract from the overall song/album. Heck, even if I reviewed a DT album and thought it was their best ever, I would still point out any flaws with the mix, songwriting, lyrics, etc.

While there are many reviewers that might go, "Meh. Cool album, I guess. 3/5," or "Omg, best album ever, super heavy, melodic. 5/5," I believe there are many reviewers with integrity that understand how to view an album objectively and without an overwhelming amount of bias.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
So let me get this straight, to summarize the last 4-5 pages, there were some questions and complaints in regard to a review of the advance copy of the album and to its time of release. To encapsulate further the net conclusion of not only the last 4-5 pages, but perhaps the entirety of this thread thus far is...

...Soon.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
So let me get this straight, to summarize the last 4-5 pages, there were some questions and complaints in regard to a review of the advance copy of the album and to its time of release. To encapsulate further the net conclusion of not only the last 4-5 pages, but perhaps the entirety of this thread thus far is...

...Soon.

The problem is that this forum is so active, and we're so hungry for information, and there are so many of us, that we just keep speculating, arguing, and begging.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

...Soon.

The problem is that this forum is so active, and we're so hungry for information, and there are so many of us, that we just keep speculating, arguing, and begging.
The problem is that type of behavior can easily be toned down.

I'm not saying it's inherently wrong. Hell, I wasn't even on here for the last album cycle so I dunno how it's like. But I know I'm also super psyched and trying not to overload the thread with unnecessary stuff. It's cool when you can hang out here every day, but every time someone goes away and tries to just skim the thread with new info I imagine they'd get pretty pissed when there's five pages of essentially nothing.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

...Soon.

The problem is that type of behavior can easily be toned down.

I'm not saying it's inherently wrong. Hell, I wasn't even on here for the last album cycle so I dunno how it's like. But I know I'm also super psyched and trying not to overload the thread with unnecessary stuff. It's cool when you can hang out here every day, but every time someone goes away and tries to just skim the thread with new info I imagine they'd get pretty pissed when there's five pages of essentially nothing.

Damn straight
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
i should go back and screenshot the whole 'centerpiece' tangent that happened a couple days ago. gold

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
first review might come from Rich Wilson?

Lifting Shadows ‏@liftingshadows
"We're listening to the new Dream Theater album here. You won't be disappointed DT fans!!"

Not this time guys. I'm keeping my powder dry on this one for a few weeks. They don't want online reviews just yet. Sorry. BUT, I am so relieved that they haven't stood still with this record. I was dreading a "formula" DT record, which this isn't. That's all folks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Oh, you warm our hearts, Mr. Wilson  :metal
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
When I say that, obviously it still sounds like DT and nothing else, but it certainly ain't ADToE part 2

Online faizoff

Thanks Rich Sept 24th cant come soon enough.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

Replace "warm" with "tease" and "hearts" with "naughty parts".
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline senecadawg2

Yes, thanks for that update!  :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Mr. Wilson my girlheart is properly warm and fuzzy right now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
When I say that, obviously it still sounds like DT and nothing else, but it certainly ain't ADToE part 2

Thanks for posting. Coming from a true DT fan, this means more to me than any regular music journalist's opinion.

Offline aprilethereal

Replace "warm" with "tease" and "hearts" with "naughty parts".

Oh u

are so damn right :metal

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
I was dreading a "formula" DT record, which this isn't. That's all folks!

That's all I needed to hear to get me even more pumped. Thanks a ton, Rich  :metal

Online Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.

That's the kind of post that calms me down. haha Thanks for posting it!

Offline robwebster

first review might come from Rich Wilson?

Lifting Shadows ‏@liftingshadows
"We're listening to the new Dream Theater album here. You won't be disappointed DT fans!!"

Not this time guys. I'm keeping my powder dry on this one for a few weeks. They don't want online reviews just yet. Sorry. BUT, I am so relieved that they haven't stood still with this record. I was dreading a "formula" DT record, which this isn't. That's all folks!
Excellent! Only thing I was scared of, too, and I trust your take far more than I trust the bad translation of some fella on a message board.

My one fear has been vanquished. Pow!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
It's indeed very very excellent! Mr. Wilson's dread was most likely everybody's dread, and it's so good to see it dispelled, at least according to a trusted source. :)
- Marco

Now, if only we can confirm or deny those song lengths. I really don't want people to keep on theorizing how that suite could actually be 2 minutes.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Now, if only we can confirm or deny those song lengths. I really don't want people to keep on theorizing how that suite could actually be 2 minutes.

Didn't Noxon say that they looked very correct according to his memory?
- Marco

Online Edergilmour

• no alarms and no surprises, please.

Didn't Noxon say that they looked very correct according to his memory?

He did confirm it on the other forum.

Offline senecadawg2

from the 5/8 forum:

"Dear Noxon I kindly asking you if you can, to confirm the following song lengths...

1. False Awakening Suite – 2:42
2. The Enemy Inside – 6:17
ecc."

noxon: "Without looking at my copy, it looks very correct."

Also he said the review will be ready within 2-3 days. can't wait to read it.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
If they're true, FAS will be the shortest multi-part composition the band's done, eh?  I don't think they've split a song into parts unless it was over 8 minutes.

from the 5/8 forum:

"Dear Noxon I kindly asking you if you can, to confirm the following song lengths...

1. False Awakening Suite – 2:42
2. The Enemy Inside – 6:17
ecc."

noxon: "Without looking at my copy, it looks very correct."

Also he said the review will be ready within 2-3 days. can't wait to read it.

That's a little disappointing, I have to say. I was looking forward to an actual suite, A Mind Beside Itself style, even if not as long. And since they're going to be using it as an intro to their concerts, I think it's safe to assume that it's not going to be 2 and a half minutes of ultra fast, crazy playing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
It's cool when you can hang out here every day, but every time someone goes away and tries to just skim the thread with new info I imagine they'd get pretty pissed when there's five pages of essentially nothing.
Yeah - every time I've seen there are multiple pages with new replies I've expected to read something interesting, but instead of that I've gotten... well, nothing. I know people are excited, but when there are pages of pointless concept album speculation, debates over the meaning of "centerpiece", complaints about 70-minute albums being too short, etc., I just... :dunno:

Anyway, thanks for sharing what you can, Rich! :tup I was hoping DT wouldn't play it too safe despite making this album self-titled.

Offline Flacracker

The song lengths aren't so bad. If they all flow into each other well then it doesn't matter.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually *prefer* more shorter songs and just the one epic.

Black Clouds had only two short songs and four massive songs.

A nightmare to remember just goes on and on and on.

You can't really just *throw a song on* from that album because you've only got two to choose from if you don't want an epic.

Offline dparrott

Glad DT12 is not a formulaic record, I kinda felt ADTOE was. 

Maybe with having more shorter songs, we could get 3 singles???   :o  Depends on how popular it is commercially I guess. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.