Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916366 times)

Offline robwebster

Have they said that the whole FAS is a intro song? Maybe it's just Sleep Paralysis that's the intro and the others are regular tracks?
I think this is very unlikely - more wishful thinking than logical deduction.

It's been fairly clear, since the tracklist was released, that False Awakening Suite was "YARGGG" on the progress board, and it's not listed as a song, it's listed as an "opening," and there aren't two more tracks unaccounted for. I think it'd be a mistake to expect anything upward of four minutes.

I could, of course, be completely wrong on all of this - and feel free to quote this post at me and cackle if that turns out to be the case! But I'm generally of the opinion that anyone who saw it had subtitles and presumed it was a second epic was making a hasty and ultimately flawed deduction. I think what we know strongly suggests a much shorter track. Longer than Regression, yeah, but not much.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Then again, maybe the current system is better than getting a short album and loads of bonus tracks scattered on different editions.
Somehow this reminds me of Circle ;)
Yeah, it's a good example :-\

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think a big reason for some people being nervous about a shorter DT album is that since there is likely gonna be a song roughly around 20 minutes, if you don't think that long song is really great, there is only another 35-40 minutes of music.  In other words, it is hard for many to call a 60-minute album great if it has a 20-minute song they don't think is great.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
On the subject of people complaining about a shorter album, I would have been fine had in 2008 DT released The Count of Tuscany as an EP, with nothing else.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I would not have been.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Regarding the length issue, I think that when a band is set on filling up a CD, what often happens is that they end up with a lot of... well, filler.  Fluff.  Tracks which don't necessarily match up to the others in terms of quality, but which are included anyway for the sake of having a longer album. 

I'm overgeneralizing, of course.  It's possible to have a 78 minute album of all-killer-no-filler.  But when it comes right down to it, I think a shorter album is a pretty good sign that the band is being more selective about what makes the cut. 

I think the average song length is also a pretty good sign that there's no padding here, and probably more variety in song structures.

Also a very good point. 

I think a big reason for some people being nervous about a shorter DT album is that since there is likely gonna be a song roughly around 20 minutes, if you don't think that long song is really great, there is only another 35-40 minutes of music.  In other words, it is hard for many to call a 60-minute album great if it has a 20-minute song they don't think is great.

Eh, I suppose this may be a factor, but I haven't really seen anyone expressing any doubt about how awesome the epic is gonna be.  In fact, the most unanimous thing I've seen is that pretty much everybody's thoroughly excited about the epic.   
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

True, but on the flipside, at least there are more tracks than an album such as BCASL, where having so few songs was a definite hindrance. And it will still be about 50 minutes of music aside from the epic, which ain't bad.

I'm really not expecting DT to mess up a 20+ minute song under these circumstances though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Good point. The title-track, while a top 10 song, can't save Octavarium as an album for me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
You do realise that 70 minutes is one hour and ten minutes ?

If you start the album at midday - it will not finish playing until ten past one.

That's a shit load of music if you ask me.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
You do realise that 70 minutes is one hour and ten minutes ?

If you start the album at midday - it will not finish playing until ten past one.

That's a shit load of music if you ask me.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

True, but on the flipside, at least there are more tracks than an album such as BCASL, where having so few songs was a definite hindrance. And it will still be about 50 minutes of music aside from the epic, which ain't bad.

That's what irked me so much about Black Clouds. If you dislike 2 of the 6 songs on the entire album - that leaves a grand total of 4 songs on the whole album that you enjoy.

With a greater number of tracks - you have a lot more choice.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

:facepalm: My opinion is not gonna change in the three seconds it takes to hit Post again....

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

:facepalm: My opinion is not gonna change in the three seconds it takes to hit Post again....

Did you know you can turn that off? It would save a lot of those annoying posts from you.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline matte.braso

According to the forum rules, is it possible to post link of any review we can find on the internet?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I think yes.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline tiagodon

According to the forum rules, is it possible to post link of any review we can find on the internet?

If the review is based on leaked material, no! If not, I think it's fine.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Generally speaking, yes.  But if it is clear that the "review" is based on unauthorized leaked information, or if it contains unauthorized samples, I will ban it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Did you know you can turn that off? It would save a lot of those annoying posts from you.

I did not know that. How?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

Profile > Look and Layout > Don't warn on new replies made while posting.

I didn't realize people didn't know it could be disabled. Heck, I forgot we even have it. Be free, my friends!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
I like it.  I figure it keeps me from making redundant posts.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Most of my post count is built on redundant posts.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Hasn't stopped you yet! ;D

Sorry. Just kidding. Couldn't resist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I can't be the only one here that thinks this thread is getting completely out of hand on every single page until someone has to step in again. Then the madness starts again. Come on, it's just an album release, I'm waiting for it as well, but I'm not hung up over it. Go find something else to do as well - and that's meant as friendly and helpful advice. I'll be checking this thread for updates, but scrolling through tens of pages of 'OMG the album is *only* 70 minutes long, wtf!' (which in itself is a ridiculous statement as far as I'm concerned) is getting very annoying.

/rant

You are quite correct, which is why I am asking this question: assuming the half confirmed song lenghts (unless they have been disproved during the previous two hours) are indeed real, how do you think DT managed to differentiate the various songs of the "mid-album sea" of 6-7 minute songs? It's quite thrilling actually, knowing that they had to face the issue of making each song even more recognizable than usual.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Hasn't stopped you yet! ;D

Sorry. Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

:'(

Offline matte.braso

first review might come from Rich Wilson?

Lifting Shadows ‏@liftingshadows

"We're listening to the new Dream Theater album here. You won't be disappointed DT fans!!"

Offline tiagodon

Hey, bosk, have you received an advance copy of the album?
You probably wouldn't tell us...

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
Hey, bosk, have you received an advance copy of the album?
You probably wouldn't tell us...

He posted something in this thread (or was it the other?) that he would probably receive an advance copy, along with other members whom I can't remember, IIRC

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
first review might come from Rich Wilson?

Lifting Shadows ‏@liftingshadows

"We're listening to the new Dream Theater album here. You won't be disappointed DT fans!!"

I think Classic Rock Presents Prog did a short one the other day. I think the main gist of it was it's heavier and more melodic than ADTOE, DT fans will love it, haters gonna hate.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline aprilethereal

Good point. The title-track, while a top 10 song, can't save Octavarium as an album for me.

It doesn't have to, since the other songs are fantastic as well ;)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Those aren't reviews. Those are quick "we got it. It's good!" comments.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Guys, there's going to be dozens to hundreds of advance copies out a few months before the release of every album you're anticipating. So why bother asking people who have possibly gotten the album? They aren't allowed to tell you anything anyway. If you don't like that, work on your writing skills and general diligence, start writing for a mag and receive your own advanced copies next time around.

Ideally, you all should avoid reviews before listening to the album. The problem with reviews is that they shape the way you receive and process an album (a movie, a book, whatever). You can't help it. You start to listen with someonelse's ears. If someone wrote something bad about the drumming or the solos, your senses will be biased, a pre-conception will be there and subconsciously working. If you had not read anything in the first place, maybe you would have not cared at all. Music is a very personal experience. Reviews take it away from us!
As someone who reviews albums herself, I find problems in this line of thinking. For one, most reviewers I know are people who, in addition to reviewing what various labels/bands send to them (and it's not all good albums), trudge the seas of the underground to tell you which overlooked/underpromoted releases are definitely worth your time and money.

As for reading reviews of albums you're already anticipating, they satisfy my general curiosity of what the album sounds like and what's inside. And if you can't filter "I liked/disliked this album" from "the album contains this and that and the atmosphere is like this", maybe it's time to work on your reading comprehension. And if you can't help being influenced by some reviewer liking/disliking an album, maybe it's time to be a little less impressionable.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Eh, it's enough of a review for me to be excited.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
If I never read reviews before buying music, my horizons would be expanding very slowly.

Or I'd end up buying crap because I never read anything contradictory beforehand.

Either way, I lose.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
If I never read reviews before buying music, my horizons would be expanding very slowly.

Or I'd end up buying crap because I never read anything contradictory beforehand.

Either way, I lose.
This, I discover so many new bands going through the review section in Decibel Magazine.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Yup, reviews are important to me as well - they give me some kind of picture of what to expect from releases I'm anticipating (if I read multiple reviews of the same album) and may convince me to check out some album by a band I haven't heard of if the descriptions sound intriguing.