Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916347 times)

Offline matte.braso

here's my thoughts based on absolutely nothing.

FAS:     (not too short, 6-7 minutes)
-sleep paralysis:orchestral intro     
-night terrors: full band section
-lucid dream: epic ending w/ orchestra

TEI: short badass heavy song

TLG: short Rush-like song (?)

EM: instrumental (quite short but not too much)

TBP: short something ;D

BTV: short ballad (?)

STR: quite long song (8-9 mins?)

AFTR: short ballad (?)

IT: 20 min. epic

Offline johncal

Do you think we'll only have short songs (5-7 minutes) aside from IT? I think almost one song might reach 9-10 minutes, like Sacrificed Sons, the 'short epic' from Octavarium. I'd say the most indicated in this album is Surrender to Reason, I don't know why, it seems to me having a fascinating sci-fi Rush' Moving picture-like theme.

Well if the album length is 70 min which I heard somewhere and the epic is 20mins, that leaves 8 songs left with an average of 6.25 minutes each. Let's assume 1 song of around 3 minutes and another at 5. The rest would be an average length of 7.

Now here's the kicker. JP said they have worked hard to have the songs flow into each other so I doubt if the length of the songs will be important at all. There are some real short ones on SDOIT, but it's not objectionable at all. I'd be willing to bet there will be a lot of thematic repetition throughout the songs that ties them together. As long as it's not another thick as a Brick I mean.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Well if the album length is 70 min which I heard somewhere and the epic is 20mins, that leaves 8 songs left with an average of 6.25 minutes each. Let's assume 1 song of around 3 minutes and another at 5. The rest would be an average length of 7.

Now here's the kicker. JP said they have worked hard to have the songs flow into each other so I doubt if the length of the songs will be important at all. There are some real short ones on SDOIT, but it's not objectionable at all. I'd be willing to bet there will be a lot of thematic repetition throughout the songs that ties them together. As long as it's not another thick as a Brick I mean.

I just hope the songs flow into one another with the actual music, and not just tacked on sound effects like on Octavarium.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline matte.braso

I expect something more than 70 mins., the Spanish guy was too vague speaking about that total lenght

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Without wanting to get too much into that saturated debate (again), As far as I know, people refer to Octavarium as a 20 minute epic, when it's actually 24 minutes. For all we know, 70 minutes could be 74, or even less. And who knows, Illumination Theory could be more than 20 as well! (Which would be nice).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Without wanting to get too much into that saturated debate (again), As far as I know, people refer to Octavarium as a 20 minute epic, when it's actually 24 minutes. For all we know, 70 minutes could be 74, or even less. And who knows, Illumination Theory could be more than 20 as well! (Which would be nice).
I'm quite sure that people mean "20+" minutes when they refer to Octavarium or ACOS as 20 minute songs.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I'm quite sure that people mean "20+" minutes when they refer to Octavarium or ACOS as 20 minute songs.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
But that's exactly what I'm talking about. They know it's longer than 20 but still call it 20 (unless they use the + you used, which I don't remember xD). It might be the same case with the Spanish guy, the difference is that we can't be sure (at least now) that he's averaging and might be the same case when Petrucci says Illumination Theory is a 20 minute epic. But I'm not even a bit worried about the album and the epic's length. Was just throwing me 2 cents there ;)

Offline tiagodon

The odds of disappointment are high if you guys keep going that way...

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...

I know, fellow Brazilian ;) But song lengths and album lengths will never disappoint me, because I've never worried about that. What may disappoint me is the quality of the music, but that has been constantly impossible in my recent Dream Theater experiences  ;D I just felt like adding my opinion (a short one, hopefully) in the ye old "song and album length" debate.

Offline tiagodon

:tup

Offline johncal

EXACTLY. If it clocks in ay 19:59 everyone here will say they got screwed.

EXACTLY. If it clocks in ay 19:59 everyone here will say they got screwed.

I tend to round up. I always considered TCOT to be a 20 minute epic. Of course, by rounding up, I've always considered ACOS and 8VM to be 25 minute epics, which is a step above the 20 minute epic. But nevertheless, if it's just under 20 minutes, I'll still consider it a 20 minute epic. And if it's over 22 minutes, I'll consider it a 25 minute epic.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Right, I'm staying out of this thread till we get a single. It's exhausting...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
But Octavarium is EXACTLY 24 minutes.

It's 24:00

How can you round that up to 25 ? ;D

But Octavarium is EXACTLY 24 minutes.

It's 24:00

How can you round that up to 25 ? ;D

Well, maybe I just round the Score version down.  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol :rollin :lol :rollin

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
I think this isn`t true, specially about FAS (from a foreign forum):

1. False Awakening Suite – 2:42
2. The Enemy Inside – 6:17
3. The Looking Glass – 4:53
4. Enigma Machine – 6:01
5. The Bigger Picture – 7:40
6. Behind The Veil – 6:52
7. Surrender To Reason – 6:34
8. Along For The Ride – 4:45
9. Illumination Theory – 22:17
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline Lucien

I think this isn`t true (from a foreign forum):

1. False Awakening Suite – 2:42
2. The Enemy Inside – 6:17
3. The Looking Glass – 4:53
4. Enigma Machine – 6:01
5. The Bigger Picture – 7:40
6. Behind The Veil – 6:52
7. Surrender To Reason – 6:34
8. Along For The Ride – 4:45
9. Illumination Theory – 22:17

I INSTANTLY tuned out after seeing False Awakening Suite at 2 minutes.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Excepting FAS, the other track lenghts seems very possible.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Wasn't FAS supposed to be the live intro song?

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot the song has different parts.

Offline Nearmyth

Excepting FAS, the other track lenghts seems very possible.

Agreed. I can deal with those. Someone forgot the "1" in front of the time for FAS it seems :P
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
FAS is DT`s own live intro. Could be short, but I don`t think so. To me, is gonna be around 8 minutes.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
I don't know... If people really wanted to fake it, wouldn't it make more sense to make FAS longer to make it more believable? Unless they... didn't think about that! (Most likely). Just speculating =S

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Right, I'm staying out of this thread till we get a single. It's exhausting...
I'm not going to lie, I only come around whenever an album or something new in DT land is happening. But this thread reminds me a lot of the old Octavarium forum. Take from that what you will. I am however really pumped for the album. I think as far as concepts go, it would be thematic from what we heard JP say with the transitions and what not. More Awake and 8VM than Scenes.

Offline Lucien

Be careful, as this would be leaked information.

I'm starting to believe it the more I see it though. False Awakening Suite...

The word false and suite together make me think...

One second. You think you will be awakened to the new album, that THIS will be the other amazing, long song... FALSE.

This is the gibberish/scat song. I bet "technically" an instrumental meant that there are vocals, but not understandable words/words able to be put in liner notes.

I think I just solved something.

Offline Nearmyth

I could see FAS being anywhere from 7-13 min. I mean this is a 3 part song by DT, it can't be that short... This isn't La Villa Strangiato here. No telling though.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...

Oh... right. My bad for commenting on it =S

One second. You think you will be awakened to the new album, that THIS will be the other amazing, long song... FALSE.

This is the gibberish/scat song. I bet "technically" an instrumental meant that there are vocals, but not understandable words/words able to be put in liner notes.

So you're saying... It's not False Awakening the Suite, it's Awakening Suite that's False.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
 :rollin

Offline Lucien

So you're saying... It's not False Awakening the Suite, it's Awakening Suite that's False.

Basically.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Makes sense to me. Could be kinda cool, makes more sense than 8+ minutes devoted to what is evidently just an intro tape. I expect lots of sound effects, scats, maybe some spoken word.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

Makes sense to me. Could be kinda cool, makes more sense than 8+ minutes devoted to what is evidently just an intro tape. I expect lots of sound effects, scats, maybe some spoken word by Myung.

FTFY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I tend to round up. I always considered TCOT to be a 20 minute epic. Of course, by rounding up, I've always considered ACOS and 8VM to be 25 minute epics, which is a step above the 20 minute epic. But nevertheless, if it's just under 20 minutes, I'll still consider it a 20 minute epic. And if it's over 22 minutes, I'll consider it a 25 minute epic.

The way I round up, I consider Wait for Sleep to be a 45-minute song.