Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 916416 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I want to quote JP about something, not the exact wording but he said he always likes to listen an album without any pre-speculation or influential thoughts from anyone, as a clear mind and have his first impressions pure. And he wants people to approach the DT albums as so. This particular album deserves this I believe, wouldn't say so for ADTOE, but for this one yes.
This quote warmed my little prog heart, yes an album that clearly demands something from the listener.  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline tiagodon

If he really thinks that way, why the band is sending copies to reviewers, knowing that their reviews will be published before the album comes out?

Offline lyfeternl

The single will arrive. Chances that it won't are zero.

Source?

I agree that chances are small, but not that they are zero.

If we were weighing this release against ADTOE, we are long overdue on a single for sure.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Roadrunner USA confirmed a single in reply to a twee from a fellow DTFer  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

Even if they didn't, come on, it's Roadrunner. They need to promote the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
If he really thinks that way, why the band is sending copies to reviewers, knowing that their reviews will be published before the album comes out?

There is a reasonable middle ground between properly marketing the album (which includes advance review and, typically, the release of a single) on one hand, while on the other hand keeping most of the substance of the album under wraps until people have the opportunity to hear the album in its entirety the way it was intended to be heard.  Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Besides, just because that's the way HE prefers to experience albums doesn't mean that he thinks it is the only way they should be experienced.  And the label will definitely not permit that to happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
If someone wants to experience the album fully without singles getting in-between, they might as well stop checking the internet and resist temptation. It's not that hard.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
I'm sure there will be a single, either just before the album drops or just after, before the start of the tour. I'm hoping for just after, so when I listen to the album for the first time I don't have to skip songs for having heard them already.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I'm sure there will be a single, either just before the album drops or just after, before the start of the tour. I'm hoping for just after, so when I listen to the album for the first time I don't have to skip songs for having heard them already.

...The tour starts on January.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline senecadawg2

Releasing a single just after the album drops is the equivalent of delaying foreplay until after sex.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Just for the record, who else is planning on not listening to the single or any material until the album is out? I feel like I'll have more motivation/self-control if I know there are other people doing it, so when people start freaking out over how good the single is, etc., I won't be fazed.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
The thing is..I don't necessarily need to listen to for example a new single right now...I just want to get some sort of a timetable that states when what is going to be released or not..so that we stop speculating and debatting...that's the thing that's making me crazy.. -.-
Hey, uhm, I know this is quite a shock, but you can stop speculating and debating RIGHT NOW. Just stop.

Besides, just because that's the way HE prefers to experience albums doesn't mean that he thinks it is the only way they should be experienced.  And the label will definitely not permit that to happen.
Now I just keep imagining people prying the complete masters out of JP's unwilling hands while he sheds many bear-tears :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

Just for the record, who else is planning on not listening to the single or any material until the album is out? I feel like I'll have more motivation/self-control if I know there are other people doing it, so when people start freaking out over how good the single is, etc., I won't be fazed.

I'm trying not to, as of right now. But that's likely to change once the single is released.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show

Frankly,
I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO STAAAY AWAAAYYY

Offline TL

I'm certainly going to try to wait for the album, but there's a good chance I'll break and listen to a single if/when they release it.

Offline matte.braso

Do you think we'll only have short songs (5-7 minutes) aside from IT? I think almost one song might reach 9-10 minutes, like Sacrificed Sons, the 'short epic' from Octavarium. I'd say the most indicated in this album is Surrender to Reason, I don't know why, it seems to me having a fascinating sci-fi Rush' Moving picture-like theme.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I believe this album will have a format similar to Octavarium's, judging on the interviews and basically all info that has been said about the record. Several "shorter" and concise songs, and a big epic acting as the centerpiece of it all.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I'll definitely check out the single. But I'm staying away from anything else. Namely reviews and especially snippets.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Releasing a single just after the album drops is the equivalent of delaying foreplay until after sex.

Comment of the century.  :hefdaddy
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline lyfeternl

I believe this album will have a format similar to Octavarium's, judging on the interviews and basically all info that has been said about the record. Several "shorter" and concise songs, and a big epic acting as the centerpiece of it all.

Damn! I was hoping for the epic to be Illumination Theory which is at the end of the album...

:neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Lucien

Damn! I was hoping for the epic to be Illumination Theory which is at the end of the album...

:tdwn

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

I don't understand why you're thumbing this down...
Note the lol face in his post

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

DTF Detective
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Now I really want the times for the songs. I'm of the belief that IT is the epic, which would fit with the theory that DT12 is very similar to 8VM, where the epic 20 minute song is at the end of the album. But if we're to take JP literally (which I'm guessing we're not) it would seem that Surrender to Reason is the next logical choice for the epic, as it's somewhere close to the middle of the record. I suppose that works, but IT still seems the most logical choice for the epic.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
What the fuck?  Centerpiece does not mean "in the middle", even if you take it literally.  We've been over this, guys.

Offline Lucien

I don't understand why you're thumbing this down...
Note the lol face in his post

He's kind of beating a dead horse (centerpiece argument)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
What the fuck?  Centerpiece does not mean "in the middle", even if you take it literally.  We've been over this, guys.

To be fair, I was arguing semantics more than anything. I still think IT is the epic. And I know "centerpiece" means the part of the album that commands the most attention.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Now I just keep imagining people prying the complete masters out of JP's unwilling hands while he sheds many bear-tears :lol
So. Much. Win. :clap: :rollin

I'll only listen to the single once, maybe twice if I can't resist the temptation.

Offline MirzekDT

Well after partially ruining my experience from SC with over listening to Constant Motion and The Dark Eternal Night I said to myself I will never listen to anything before the album comes out...

I was successful with AROP and BC&SL and the only reason I listened to OTBOA was because I already knew I will hear it before the album because of tour before the album so I listend to it about 10 to 20 times altogether before the album and it was great and I didn't ruin it completely actually I really liked that the album started with a song I absolutely loved already and it was still kind of fresh... So I'm not sure what will I do with this album it will probably depend on my mood and feelings when the single will be released but right now I'm planning not to listen to it :)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés

THIS.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Way to fail sarcasm.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
I have to ask what is the point of DT releasing a single.  The single will probably not be played much on the radio.  I do see new fans possibly discovering DT with the release of a video like they did with On the Backs of Angels.  If I had not accidently view the video on a cable music channel I would not have found out about DT.

Have you not heard of the Internet, specifically, Youtube?

Kidding aside, while there was a long time period (1994-2006-ish) of "why even bother wasting money on videos", that is now over, and the impact of even something as simple as a lyric video (ie. James LaBrie's "Back on the Ground") being passed around on Youtube is absolutely tangible and definitely worth spending a little dough on.

Ok, I did not think of it that way.  I am from the 70's and remember singles being a big deal.  With the internet and the searches just as big a deal.  Thanks for clearing it up for this old fogey :D
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
The thing is..I don't necessarily need to listen to for example a new single right now...I just want to get some sort of a timetable that states when what is going to be released or not..so that we stop speculating and debatting...that's the thing that's making me crazy.. -.-
Hey, uhm, I know this is quite a shock, but you can stop speculating and debating RIGHT NOW. Just stop.

Bless you, Mora. Truly you are wise.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline JPX

I won't be listening to anything because I don't like the idea of singles for a band like Dream Theater. I would rather hear the entire ablum in it's full context.

I might read a few reviews though just to get an idea of what to expect.